test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Maintenance...on a Saturday night? At prime time?

sofoxaysofoxay Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I know this is an "open beta" and completely do understand that patches, fixes and such need to be done. There is no way around it and it's the only way that the game can move ahead and get better!

However, doing maintenance on a Saturday night, at PRIMETIME, really makes no sense. Yes, it will affect someone, somewhere, during their prime time, but all things considered, the servers are on PST, meaning West Coast time. With that being the case, it usually means the MAJORITY of your players are North American-based players.

Isn't there some way you can avoid this and do maintenance later, or even early morning? Of course I understand as well that devs, GM's and anyone associated with maintenance needs their sleep too, but that affects far fewer people that the massive player base you have.

Sorry, but I had to vent, as it was a very busy week, with family and work obligations, and I was looking forward to a great time on a Saturday night to play.

Thanks for listening!
Post edited by sofoxay on

Comments

• cnynridr2cnynridr2 Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would think they would only do this if it was a serious fix. Like someone exploiting something or the store giving free stuff!!! :)
  • neferkare1neferkare1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sofoxay wrote: »
    I know this is an "open beta" and completely do understand that patches, fixes and such need to be done. There is no way around it and it's the only way that the game can move ahead and get better!

However, doing maintenance on a Saturday night, at PRIMETIME, really makes no sense. Yes, it will affect someone, somewhere, during their prime time, but all things considered, the servers are on PST, meaning West Coast time. With that being the case, it usually means the MAJORITY of your players are North American-based players.

Isn't there some way you can avoid this and do maintenance later, or even early morning? Of course I understand as well that devs, GM's and anyone associated with maintenance needs their sleep too, but that affects far fewer people that the massive player base you have.

Sorry, but I had to vent, as it was a very busy week, with family and work obligations, and I was looking forward to a great time on a Saturday night to play.

Thanks for listening!

Agree...thought this was pretty strange myself.
  • kiraliakiralia Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They already said sorry about the timing and explained why. Also where their server is based has no connection to how many players they have where. If they chose to place their servers in Ireland would that mean the majority of their player base would be Irish?
  • wraithnixwraithnix Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, this is messed up. After they promised no maintenance time after all the downtime last night.

I like this game, and it's fun to play, but, ****, they can't seem to stop messing stuff up.
  • kraivemoarkraivemoar Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OP actually has a point. PWE already alienated a number of would be players with a week full of issues, to take the servers down during the busiest time is just not wise. F2P games depend on a large audience and if they're pushing people away you can say "fine, hey we don't need them." which is good for you that you don't need them, doesn't mean the game as a whole doesn't. If for example 15% of the population spends real money the larger the over all population the larger that 15% is meaning your game has a better chance. But it appears the fanbois on these forums are themselves self entitled holier than thou shallow minded folks who refuse to acknowledge that mistakes have been, are being and will be made.
  • bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    What a foolish decision on their part. Four hours smack dab in the 8-12 on our one and only Saturday a week?

They couldn't do it tomorrow? This morning? Garbage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thunderspankerthunderspanker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 713 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Actually, they have been busting their bums to make this happen, and it did. A shard is not a server. A shard is a collection of servers that are spread out all over the place.. shard is an older school game term.. that is a different thread.. Any developer of anything can tell you that problems dont wait till it is slow.. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Himmelville - Are you easily frightened?
    Click Here

On one side of the mountain, there were bones...
  • brumasterbrumaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bcvapor wrote: »
    What a foolish decision on their part. Four hours smack dab in the 8-12 on our one and only Saturday a week?

They couldn't do it tomorrow? This morning? Garbage.

Is it really 4 hours long? I've been looking for information on the length of maintenance since it went down.
  • boltedarrowsboltedarrows Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You all need to calm down, honestly its PWE they do this all the time get use to it. Just be glad its not Areia Games... Their "maint" is like 15hours+ for games.
  • viermyceviermyce Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is also the only night hubby and I had the chance to play together as well, we wore the kiddos out all day just so they would go to bed early and sleep the whole night. Oh well, guess thats life, though it makes me sad. I too understand the need fr immediate maintenance but not during primetime on a weekend. Might want to rethink that plan with a big 3 day weekend approaching.
    ~Viermyce, Mistress of Pain~ I don't always play an elf, but when I do I carry a big axe...
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just want to point out that this is not just effecting NWO but ALL Cryptics games. So as annoyed as you might feel about it here. Consider how folks in STO and CO, games that still have and take subscriptions are also having to deal with this.

Dealing with troublesome younger siblings tends to bring up the annoyance level a few notches.
  • deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 185
    edited May 2013
    Agreed, completely losing hope with cryptic though most of their users lost hope back during CO days...oh well yet another night I have to find another game from another company to support...
  • moledudemoledude Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    brumaster wrote: »
    Is it really 4 hours long? I've been looking for information on the length of maintenance since it went down.

How did you find this thread, and not the VERY FIRST stickied thread on this forum...with the thread title "Maintenance Tonight - 8pm to Midnight, Pacific Time"? hahaha. You didn't have to open the thread to find the information! :p
  • moledudemoledude Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kainazzo2 wrote: »
    Serious question, where does it say emergency maintenance? I just see "Shard Maintenance" on the login screen.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?189911-Maintenance-Tonight-8pm-to-Midnight-Pacific-Time

"Why this time?

This is not our normal maintenance time, but unfortunately the maintenance needs to be performed ASAP to ensure that the servers remain stable with the current traffic we are seeing."
  • ursadorableursadorable Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    moledude wrote: »
    How did you find this thread, and not the VERY FIRST stickied thread on this forum...with the thread title "Maintenance Tonight - 8pm to Midnight, Pacific Time"? hahaha. You didn't have to open the thread to find the information! :p

People don't generally come to the forums to find out if the game is going to be up or not. The MOTD notes on the launcher said nothing about it until maintenance started. That's where it should have been posted.
  • ageoffan123ageoffan123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    I am obviously vexed by it because me and some guildies were doing a foundry quest (a hellishly fun and long one), when we were logged out. But, i hope they move it to like monday or something, and not saturday. Either way, once a week is okay. Chill.
  • doubleshakedoubleshake Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Perfect World is a business, and Neverwinter is their product. F2P is a model that has the potential to generate more revenue than a traditional monthly subscription. With that said, a game being F2P doesn't mean customer service needs to go out the window.

A lot of people say we should be nothing, but gracious to Perfect World. PW isn't running a charity for children orphaned by war. They just want our business. We should expect sensible service.
  • otherrhetoric1otherrhetoric1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Im guessing in anticipation of the traffic tonight it was unavoidable and servers would have crashed had they not...
  • zefstarzefstar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sofoxay wrote: »

Thanks for listening!

My money is on a serious issue that was noticed due to the heavy volume of people on today that would not have normally been seen. Perhaps a memory leak or database issue or data corruption. I doubt they would not have brought it down unless it was necessary
  • pstone1386pstone1386 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I always think its funny when people complain about a MMO during the first few months of launch....I challenge you to name ONE MMO that launched without a hitch, with out unexpected downtime. Just one. It is impossible to know all of the thousands of things that will go wrong during a launch. There are so many aspects all inter-related between the real money items like Zen, the in game auction house, the in game mail system, the crafting system with is also accessible from external web access, the thousand different foundry missions that are available, its just a huge amount of stuff that all has to work seamlessly for everyone to enjoy the game. I for one am very impressed with this game, so far the best MMO launch I have participated in. Yeah there is server maintenance, but the game is by far more enjoyable than I had anticipated and all the systems work flawlessly. I am sure that server maintenance during prime time was a tough decision to make, and if they did so then they probably had a pretty good reason. Oh and though its been said, this is still a beta, and the main purpose of open beta's is to stress the system and get a million people to do the unexpected so it can be fixed.

My two copper :)
  • deurkier1deurkier1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 70
    edited May 2013
    The maintenance are EU timed because it is around 5 in the morning here
  • diswraithdiswraith Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    deurkier1 wrote: »
    The maintenance are EU timed because it is around 5 in the morning here

But PW is located in West Coast USA, and it's currently prime time there so everyone is quite confused.
  • graebeerdgraebeerd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 77
    edited May 2013
    Holy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Use the money you would be spending on Zen, hire a baby sitter, and take the wife out for a beer, problem solved.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pstone1386 wrote: »
    I always think its funny when people complain about a MMO during the first few months of launch....

So what about the other two games also being taken off line for this? The beta excuse kinda looses weight when its crashing game that shouldn't even be effected by it.
  • fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ~chuckles~ This thread makes me laugh. Thanks, guys.

1 - It's only 4 hours.
    2 - It's not prime time. It's a WORLD-wide game, so NO time will make everyone happy
    3 - It's a Beta - expect them to patch.

A note on point 3 - the reason you are upset is NOT because the server went down. You are upset because they CHOSE to bring the server down instead of letting it crash. What they did was completely rob you of the ability to completely flame because "their servers suck! They crash all the time! Etc.!", so, nothing daunted, you will still freak out as if it is the end of the world because somehow, some way the server is down.

May I suggest some things you can do during the maintenance? Of course I may :)

1 - spend time with the family and/or pets
    2 - Go out with friends (if you have no friends, in some cities it is still legal to pay for them)
    3 - Take a bath and/or shower
    4 - Check out YouTube videos - search "Gamer Rage" - you are most likely posted on there :)
    5 - Do some school work (I know some of you have some)

Remember - I am just trying to help - if you choose to ignore my advice, it will not upset me. I will only keep chuckling more.

P.S. Found some awesome YouTube videos here of some of you guys. I will provide the links on request :)
  • vdinh037vdinh037 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ~chuckles~ This thread makes me laugh. Thanks, guys.

1 - It's only 4 hours.
    2 - It's not prime time. It's a WORLD-wide game, so NO time will make everyone happy
    3 - It's a Beta - expect them to patch.

Actually there is a better time for everyone. Not Saturday night.
  • muhgenmuhgen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    UO was the first MMO imo lol
  • dadeleviathandadeleviathan Member Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    i highly, highly doubt they wanted to do it now of all times. I imagine it is much more along the lines of "have to," rather than, "want to."
  • anotherkenanotherken Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree that it is bad timing for players and for ensuring there will be enough people for stress testing. But that said, it is a beta test and early in it at that, so we should not be surprised if the servers either crash or are brought down at any time. It is clear that Cryptic and PerfectWorld are working hard on this title so we cannot really complain about these choices until after release.
  • bluhmanbluhman Member Posts: 1,559 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It could be worse. It could happen without warning, after months of receiving piles of trash that don't interest you. Like being force-fed refuse from the jaundiced mind of an overprotective ambivalent mother. You will never realize how much a developer loves you until they abandon you, leaving you to starve.
    In the meantime, THOMAS WAS EVERYWHERE.

CoGQIYG.png
    Those bios are outdated. Have some steam guides:
    *CYBERMIND!*
    *FIRE AND NOT FIRE*
This discussion has been closed.