test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[REQUEST] Mobile Apps for Android and iOS

foxtrot302foxtrot302 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I'd like to start a formal request for Android and iOS copies of the Neverwinter Gateway. I will say that I was pleasantly surprised to discover that there is a mobile version of the Gateway that is accessible through a mobile device. This is an unexpected feature given the beta status of the game. With that said, it would still be really nice to get official Apps for Android and iOS that include the Gateway content with the addition of some interaction with people that are playing the game (in game chat, map interaction, etc). Hopefully a real mobile version of the Gateway would also provide better performance (for me loading is long and spotty even with my top of the line network and 50 Mbps internet connection). I think that the biggest thing that I'd hope for from a mobile App would be notifications (friends coming online, messages, Mail, Auction info, Professions info). These things would make it easier to stay on top of what is going on with the game even when I'm not able to log in. Some sounds for the menus would also be nice.

Thank you for your consideration!
Post edited by foxtrot302 on

Comments

• primejiveprimejive Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My name is Primejive & I support this message.
  • tqbatmantqbatman Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This also gets my vote.

+1
  • voqarvoqar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I vote not since I prefer games be played in the games. It's bad enough that people can officially cheat and p2w via cash shop. Nobody needs yet another advantage that has nothing to do with actually playing.

Plus, it might be nice for them to finish the game before considering more <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> to pile on.

Now, if they charge you zen for such a thing, I could see that being a decent idea. That's the kind of fluff that should be charged for.
  • thehadrielthehadriel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    -1 This is a PC game. If you want to check on crafting updates or whatever crazy things you want, get on the PC. Might as well have the ability to auto-quest complete through your phone.
  • spideycospideyco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    +1 This would be a great idea to have a native app.

Being forced to log into the game via a PC is old fashioned when all you want to do is check an auction, setup new crafting or check out your character. We can already do all of this via web browser today, but on a mobile it doesn't work quite as well. Making this method available can help keep certain game servers load levels lower, you use less PC resources, and you keep those of us that travel a lot engaged in the game.

Remember you are still limited in crafting in that if you use up your consumable items, you will still need to log into the game and buy more from a merchant.

thehadriel: While I don't agree with your view, your M:TG avatar is cool.
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd love a dedicated app - one that could show the current bid, buy out price and time remaining columns on my phone. The version now only shows current bid, which is pretty much useless to me.
  • ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree so much. The gateway website is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in it's mobile form. An app would save so many headaches
  • suikeisuikei Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I agree, to anyone who says "It's a PC game, it shouldn't be used on mobile", people already use it through a mobile browser, we'd just like a less latent version of the gateway to use. The gateway is to just check and update minor facets of gameplay, it's not like we're running dungeons on our iPhones or anything.
  • tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Absolutely needs an app (there are 3rd party ones out already). Using a mobile browser is somewhat painful and it's very touchy (minimize browser, lose login session).

RE: "It's a PC game": then they might as well just shutdown the entire Gateway, by that logic.
  • firesoul31firesoul31 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 34
    edited August 2013
    I know this thread was necro’ed but I agree a native app would be great instead of the mobile browsers out there. I was going to type up a new post/thread but saw this and decided to add my 2 cents.

I’ve used the Gateway on PC, when not by my gaming rig and it works wonderfully, however, using it on mobile browsers (take your pick, I’ve tried them all: Opera, Safari, Mercury, Dolphin, Chrome) is less than good. Lots of latency and or graphical problems/hangs are a PITA.

Mobile Chrome and Dolphin seem to work best in my opinion, especially Dolphin as it remembers your username and password, yay for less typing on my iPhone 4S.

FFXIV: ARR is coming out soon and it will come with a native iOS app, I’m guessing for its version of professions, etc. So I think Neverwinter would be benefited by a native app as well. I mean some of the work must be done already in order to make it mobile version anyway, sorry not a programmer but seems there would be some cross-over inherent in going from mobile to an app.

Any dev or moderator with knowledge of this or the potential it would be great if you piped up!!!

EDIT: As somebody else in another thread mentioned, notifications from an app would be awesome.
    Playing, paying & Coding - My take on Neverwinter, mods be darned
    Opened up comments, because I would love to hear what everyone says, even the naysayers. :)
    http://goo.gl/TiX1kO
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    The priests of Kelemvor have disallowed Necromancy within these halls.
This discussion has been closed.