test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Being able to roll need on items you can't use has got to go.

13»

Comments

• shortiecakeshortiecake Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rapticor wrote: »
    I agree. If your class can't equip it you should only have 2 options: Greed or Pass. Need should not even be an option.

Just replying with a quick agreement to this statement. This small change would be so nice.
  • steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My Need claims depend on my earnings. If I'm getting 0 revenue from a dungeon, the odds of my next role to be Need, regardless of the item's nature, starts to increase.

I simply can't do a 30 minute dungeon without earning a dime, specially considering they take a 45 minutes queue.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • ezkiyuezkiyu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    penglish82 wrote: »
    Disagree 100% yes it's annoying but who are you or I to say that they shouldn't have it. Like people have said it's bind on equip rather than pickup and with it being F2P lots of people could use the AD they could get on the AH, plus it could be sent to an alt.
    The issue is with need/greed in PUGs, there's never going to be co-operation (for the most part) in PUGs, loot only works when you're adventuring with like-minded people.
    Also don't forget it's DnD:

Wizard: Ahaha the orb of Narlicx .
    Barbarian: Gem is shiny me wants.
    Wizard: But you can't use it.
    Barbarian: ME WANTS!!
    Wizard: But you...
    ...SQUISH
    Barbarian: Who wants shiny?
    Thief/Cleric: You keep it!!

So sadly loot theft is part of DnD.

But where is the humanity? :D
    Death to all Rogues! -Tripnotik
  • beldineubeldineu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    colkernel wrote: »
    Frankly the whole Need/Greed thing is an abomination IMO anyway. That stupid dialog box keeps popping up while I'm fighting stuff and I just <shift+#> to get rid of it. I try to see if there's red text and hit 2 if so, but I may or may not actually hit it as I'm busy with other stuff at the moment.
    That stupid dialog only pops up during combat if someone is stupid enough to loot stuff while in combat, instead of fighting. What I would suggest is to disable looting during combat completely - there's plenty of time for that after the fight is done.
  • scan69scan69 Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't roll with PUGs.

Problem solved, however if PUGS are the only way you can play then just be grateful you at least have a chance at some epix loots.

There will always be greedy people ~(although you could argue as all epics are BOE and we all need Astral diamonds then Needing is not entirely unjustified)~ Just try to group with those who are not so self absorbed.

Like us, join here http://relentlessnw.enjin.com/

;)
  • mijashimijashi Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If your class can use it and if it's better than what you are currently using then it's need. Greed is if you want it for AD or any other purpose than previously mentioned.
  • ezkiyuezkiyu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i know that people so much wan to Need on purples. Last night i had several runs and all people were fair on rolls.
    So big love for those! -Tripnotik
    Death to all Rogues! -Tripnotik
  • thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    PRO TIP: Cryptic, go take a look at WoW's loot system then come back with something equally as impressive.
    Remove this Bind on Equip rubbish on end game and PvP gear (which i know wont happen anytime soon as the overlords at PWE need to keep the P2W lunatics happy) and make it all Bind on Pickup.

It is not rocket science to see nobody likes the lazy system that's in place.
  • krowbarrkrowbarr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    theres no way to fix it.. u make it bop, ppl will still roll just to sell(even though coin is useless) .. or make it class based ppl will still roll need because easy win and vendor(if bop because no one can use) or ah it (boe).. Good way to fix it is to join a guild and do guild runs not pugs otherwise suck it up princess

edit:
    WoW system is still flawed because i can still roll on items i have just to screw over the other servers.guess its a start there but like i said no matter which way u go there are still going to be tools out there who just roll need for the sake of it (being the class that can use it and don't need it or not)
  • chuckwolfchuckwolf Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Need or greed has to go... not because of everyone "need"ing on stuff the can't use, but because I can't stand that popup in the middle of my screen while I'm being mobbed by adds. It's annoying, they need to go to a system the works without any player interaction and no popups.
    @Powerblast in game
  • huntorzlolhuntorzlol Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Do people actually buy low level greenies from the AH...? Such a waste of currency, you outlevel the gear in 3-4 quests which is maybe 30-60mins depending on speed.

SAVE YOUR **** CURRENCY FOR MAX LEVEL!!!
  • mbomberdavidmbomberdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    skrigg wrote: »
    Absolutely no reason to be able to do this. It just creates problems and drives people to grief and away from the game.

I would like this certainly to be an option. I would also like to able to automatically pass on things i dont need. I find the pop ups an annoying distraction during game play.
  • metaphoricalmetaphorical Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree that need shouldn't be an option on gear you can't use, but greed should still always be an option.
  • pelarius2046pelarius2046 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    I agree, if it isn't usable by the class you're currently playing - you shouldn't be able to roll need.
    Theohelm, Guardian of the Dalelands.
    edited May 2013
    I would like this certainly to be an option. I would also like to able to automatically pass on things i dont need. I find the pop ups an annoying distraction during game play.

This would sure be dandy, if you could choose a default. "Always greed unless item is usable." Or "Always pass unless item is usable." Either way, it would be a lot less for me to worry about.
  • sparhawksparhawk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Changing the roll system to restrict the current loot roll system is a waste of developer time IMO.

They should just implement individual loot drops for everybody. That way the system is entirely fair and removes all potential loot drama.
  • jn2002dk1jn2002dk1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Need - You can equip the item and it's an upgrade
    Everything else is greed

This is how it has worked in mmos since they started using these loot rules

Why on earth can people roll need on items they can't equip? It's simple to fix and it should have been done before the open beta launch
  • blasph3m3blasph3m3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    skaithe wrote: »
    There is only one definition of need - I can use it, and it's an upgrade to what I'm using. Everything else falls under greed. It's not open for debate.

+1

This has been standard practice for over a decade, and the current system only promotes and encourages ninja rolling.

However, the same system is present in their other games, STO and CO, with those communities just rolling NEED on everything so I can't see change coming to NW any time soon. If ever.
    10qkinm.png
  • helloimsleepyhelloimsleepy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sparhawk wrote: »
    Changing the roll system to restrict the current loot roll system is a waste of developer time IMO.

They should just implement individual loot drops for everybody. That way the system is entirely fair and removes all potential loot drama.

I see the validation behind it,
    But then you see the factor of "grouping" and understanding that it's (seemingly -opinionated) for building character and teamwork/comprehension within a group and a stable environment amongst common acceptance for players.
    ^However, that stated usually always fails.
  • avivvvavivvv Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    roll need for what you need , and greed for what you dont, simple and every 1 happy.
    edited May 2013

The reason why I hate that loot system is because if I receive an item that I don't need, I personally feel like everybody should have a chance to get it, especially if I'm not the only one in the group that could actually use it.
  • sparhawksparhawk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The reason why I hate that loot system is because if I receive an item that I don't need, I personally feel like everybody should have a chance to get it, especially if I'm not the only one in the group that could actually use it.

There is nothing stopping you from offering said item to someone in your group as all the gear would still be BOE.
    edited May 2013
    There is nothing stopping you from offering said item to someone in your group as all the gear would still be BOE.

I'll admit, I assumed you were taking the idea directly from WoW which does NOT allow you to trade any of the stuff that you get anymore. If it was still BoE, that would be better... but still a pain in my rear when I'd much rather it just be automatic. Less work for me, yknow.
  • nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 483 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Some MMO's will disable the Need button on items your toon can't even equip. But there is a drawback... It makes getting full groups together more difficult.

It's one thing to advertise "LF1M! Need DPS" and you'll probably not have a problem filling that last slot. However, with disabled Need buttons, you get a lot of "LF2M! Need Tank, Need DPS. - No Rogue, No Guardian!" because nobody wants to share the Need opportunities, and now it takes forever for groups to fill because they're more picky, and the chat gets spammed with more LFG/LFM messages.

Don't get me wrong... I'm a huge proponent of the accepted need before greed method (no, equipping alts does not constitute need), but sometimes you've gotta role with what may be better in the long run.

Myself personally, the moment I see party members Needing on items they can't even use... I just drop party and leave.

The way to avoid the picky-party problem is to have a very dynamic queue tool (which Neverwinter has) that doesn't allow people to pick what classes they're teamed with. You make people want to use the tool and deny them access to that level of pickiness, and you solve the problem.
  • skriggskrigg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    avivvv wrote: »
    roll need for what you need , and greed for what you dont, simple and every 1 happy.

This is a good policy unfortunately it wont happen unless it is enforced by game design. Come on PW this change is needed!
  • mensarmensar Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You were in the group, you helped in the dungeon.

You can roll on whatever you want however you want.

There will always be people that "want" or "need" things for reasons you don't comprehend. That doesn't mean they don't actually want or need those items. Be more careful who you have in your group.

This message brought to you by the superhero:
    Bacon Overlord

All available action figures, check.
    Hit the global cap, check.
    All lore and event perks done, check.
    All 1K mob perks done, check.
    All nemesis mob perks done, check.
    Break 20,000 perk points, check.
    Complete all 5K perk points, stay tuned!

Come see me on steam (be friends, drink fine wines, clink glasses and KILL STUFF ONLINE!)
  • uxvorastrixuxvorastrix Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All treasure "drops' should be assigned to a specific player by the game, if that player wants to trade it to another for something they got instead, or if that player wants to sell it so be it. The whole need/greed/pass system is inherently broken and should be abandoned.
    D&D DM/Player since 1982 - all versions except the despised 4e
  • mcphredmcphred Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mensar wrote: »
    You were in the group, you helped in the dungeon.

You can roll on whatever you want however you want.

There will always be people that "want" or "need" things for reasons you don't comprehend. That doesn't mean they don't actually want or need those items. Be more careful who you have in your group.

I agree with this.

I knew it wouldnt take long before the whining started, "boohoo its so unfair" , "boohoo class X is OP", "Boohoo it's to much work doing Z, can we just have a button to click instead", "boohoo my class is supposed to be top dps but i cant get it to be".

Let the players sort things out. Let this be a player-interaction-driven-adventure-experience instead of that numb stats-chasing thing that WoW has developed into (that numb thing that fail to even provide any sort of challenge or any sense of achievement because it's all dumbed down and fail-proofed).

Just blacklist people that you dont want to hang out with in the future.