test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

*Offensive Names* Have you guys considered policing the character names?

Comments

• Options
    slouchvikingslouchviking Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aevlom wrote: »
    Don't attribute low intelligence/maturity with age. There are plenty of old morons making characters with offensive and unoriginal names.
    Case in point, first day of Founders of the North head start, some ******* ran by me with the name of a male anatomy part, spelled with two E's instead of one.

Do you mean "Heeart?"
  • Options
    ringomandingooringomandingoo Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    currently the owner of Adolf ****ler
  • Options
    scan69scan69 Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thevlaka wrote: »
    exactly this.
    HArden the **** up. You dont live in bubbles hidden away from the outside word. Profanity, vulgarity...hell life is all around. Snap out of this bull**** uppity up philosophy and get on with things. Don't like the name or language dont look at it.

We are individual and we have our own tastes, just because it doesnt conform to your liking doesnt mean we have to succumb to your way of life.

+1000

The OP sounds like a typical religious cretin, follow our way of life or be damned!

Were not all prissy sheep. Man up.
  • Options
    ashkethashketh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    As much as people like to do whatever they want, the fact is that society dictates what is acceptable. And I have yet to encounter a society that embraces the conversations and naming conventions to which the OP is referring. Which is why no one who is employed or is seeking employment legally changes their names to something of the sort.

Claiming that they are only words is hypocritical, since no one making that claim would be comfortable with being called any name a passerby (or boss, wife, mom) thought was appropriate or humorous.
  • Options
    scan69scan69 Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ashketh wrote: »
    As much as people like to do whatever they want, the fact is that society dictates what is acceptable. And I have yet to encounter a society that embraces the conversations and naming conventions to which the OP is referring. Which is why no one who is employed or is seeking employment legally changes their names to something of the sort.

Claiming that they are only words is hypocritical, since no one making that claim would be comfortable with being called any name a passerby (or boss, wife, mom) thought was appropriate or humorous.

I hesitate to point out the obvious, but this isn't real life...
  • Options
    penglish82penglish82 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think so long as the names aren't any form of '-ist' (if you catch my drift) it's all good. I've heard/used pretty much every none specific swear word and have no issue with others using them, names which are offensive towards groups/people I think shouldn't be there though.
    That said if PWE create a specific RP server they should (like LoTRO) enforce canon names.
  • Options
    charezoncharezon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    scan69 wrote: »
    +1000

The OP sounds like a typical religious cretin, follow our way of life or be damned!

Were not all prissy sheep. Man up.

No, it's called showing respect to the rest of the NW community. You're not in your house, you're in a public place where you share space with other people. If you lack the fundamentals of respect and manners, please don't come show it here. It also reeks of immaturity.
    Wizard.jpg
  • Options
    shortiecakeshortiecake Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why do you have to be old or young or religious or prudish or any other type of person to not want to see vulgar names? Many 4-letter curse words are derogatory toward women, and some are derogatory toward men too. I don't see what's so wrong with not wanting to see this type of language in daily life, let alone in a game where you're meant to enjoy yourself.

But a lot of you are right. There is an ignore and a report feature, so until something changes, we might as well use them liberally.
  • Options
    tecnolordtecnolord Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pfff... some people just have no imagination..
    a character with the name ALT F4 ? or a pc called Jesus C***
    i don't like a company to force names, just pick those out with offensive names.
  • Options
    slouchvikingslouchviking Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    charezon wrote: »
    No, it's called showing respect to the rest of the NW community. You're not in your house, you're in a public place where you share space with other people. If you lack the fundamentals of respect and manners, please don't come show it here. It also reeks of immaturity.

Internet isnt a society, it doesnt have a set rules of manners as a society does, and they differ wildly depending on where the society is.
    You take on the internet as if it was your own society.
    Internet is everything and still nothing of the world.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Internet isnt a society, it doesnt have a set rules of manners as a society does, and they differ wildly depending on where the society is.

Actually, concerning the fact that there is an entire internet culture (and subculture and sub-subculture), the internet is definitely a society. Now, whether it is civilized is up to debate, but it is definitely a society.
  • Options
    thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually, concerning the fact that there is an entire internet culture (and subculture and sub-subculture), the internet is definitely a society. Now, whether it is civilized is up to debate, but it is definitely a society.

it doesnt need regulating, enforcement of rules, prohibitions etc

It's an open medium with which we can all express ourselves differently.

Again, if you dont like what you see nobody is forcing you to see it. Take it like a grain of salt and move on.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    thevlaka wrote: »
    it doesnt need regulating, enforcement of rules, prohibitions etc

It's an open medium with which we can all express ourselves differently.

Again, if you dont like what you see nobody is forcing you to see it. Take it like a grain of salt and move on.

Actually, it does, and it is getting rules and laws every day. Just follow the news. It's alarming and most of the time, I am angry with the laws trying to be passed to police the internet, but it's happening. To pretend it's not is to be blind to it, so I encourage everybody who cares about the internet, um, freedoms to pay attention to your country's laws being passed every day.

And technically, if you're posting it publicly, then I am being forced to see it because I'm not getting a warning to look away. NC-17 movies at least have ratings so I know to avoid. It's not like every person with a vulgar name sends a warning to my character so that I can avoid interacting with them. There is no warning system, so PG-13 approved rating for posts, no red light when things aren't within my "tolerance" level... So, yes, it's forced because I can't avoid it before I see it.
  • Options
    eyepatchdudeeyepatchdude Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you see someone with a blatantly offensive Character Name.. Ignore them.. If they get enough ignores, they receive 24hr chatban.. Eventually they'll A> Start playing Characters that aren't blatantly offensive, or B>Move on to another game.

If you end up in a pug with one, leave the pug, or kick them from group..

Ostracism is the way a society regulates behavior that is unacceptable.
  • Options
    wrenaqwrenaq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I actually agree with the OP, I just do not understand why someone would name their character which they may have for years a swear word or something stupid.
    I think the older gamers here will agree with the OP and the younger ones will not.
    Does it say in the T&C about vulgar names? in most games it does.
  • Options
    beldineubeldineu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Profanity filters will never work right, especially in chats. For example, I've encountered this issue in several MMOs with the chat profanity filter enabled: I can't type the equivalent word for "yeah" in my native language, because it is an English slang term for Jewish people and considered offensive. Go figure...
  • Options
    illideshillidesh Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xraxis wrote: »
    If you think there will be a lawsuit from a lax naming policy. It makes me wonder how you are capable of using a computer.

Let me explain in a method you may possibly be able to understand. Though I don't expect you to accept it. Which is your choice.

A kid lets say of the age of 10 is playing. Lets say its a girl. Then some boy with a very crude and provocative name implying what they want to do as a part of their name with regards to sex msg's them. The very act of doing so even if just to say hello is actually a case of sexual assault on a minor and classified as an act of a pedophile. Further more, the court can award damages from the game company for not having upheld its own rules and abide by the laws of the nation its game is operated with in.

People go to court over this sort of stuff all the time. Lastly, the terms of service already supports what is being implied here. The rules say not to use profane names and such. The system to catch them, is not in place yet. Lawyers already utilize face book and games for the purpose of catching criminals. Be mature, understand that Cryptic and PW will not stand in front of you to defend your actions in court. They will cooperate and legal action will move forward.
  • Options
    jn2002dk1jn2002dk1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Uhm sorry skippy but a mmo is a community and as such is governed by rules set up by the owner

Just like this forum has rules

If you don't like those rules you're free to go away
  • Options
    charezoncharezon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Why is it that people feel they can (or must?) abandon all respect towards other people when they're online? Where in the real world will you see anyone swear or curse at their peers without consequence? It's obvious that some people feel entitled to, and empowered by, their frowned-upon behavior while they can hide behind the anonymity which the internet provides.

Again, it is offensive, it reeks of immaturity and shows the fundamental lack of respect for other people in general, regardless of whether or not some share your opinion or views on the subject. It has nothing to do with needing to "toughen up", etc.
    Wizard.jpg
  • Options
    hercooles130uscghercooles130uscg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ya there system is complete FUBAR.

YOu can see all these inappropriate names running around, yet for us Foundry authors, we are pinned in a corner when it comes to their chat filters.

having the words "is that it?" for example will cause your Foundry quest to not publish due to profanity (the last letter in 'THAT' and the word 'IT' makes a naughty word OH NOES).

More hilarious , and what broke my quest once(they don't tell you what word is bad, just that one is bad) is the number 55 (fifty five) due to the "possibility" of it being used in place two S's, which could be taken out of context as German secret police.

Due to this bullcrap, I had to scour hundreds of lines of dialogue to find a bad word, and only after someone on the forums said to check for the number fifty five did I find the issue.

But they can do all kinds of creative stuff with symbols and what not to make inappropriate names, symbols in combinations that have been used for YEARS and yet the filter ignores them.
    Fail.
    bdayaffair_zps6675e60e.png
  • Options
    wrenaqwrenaq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Mount and blade warband roleplay mod was threatened with a court action when a parent found her 12 year old roleplaying sex scenes with others. I saw this happening and told the mods what was happening and they ignored it and even a couple of them were engaging in the sex roleplay...I saw them roleplay ****....
    I had a massive argument with the mods about this and when It came to light that someone had contacted the publishers those mods were banned and new T&C were written up.
    I know If kids want to roleplay vulgar stuff they will but the game publishers will be held accountable for allowing it to happen.
    Freedom of speech does not exist in games or forums.
  • Options
    orieldaveorieldave Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I saw some arsehole running round called Cancer Face the other day. Seriously not funny when someone close to you has cancer I can tell you.
  • Options
    hercooles130uscghercooles130uscg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All these "toughen up" people don't realize that many people deal with enough <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in their real lives, and they don't want to see a game they enjoy being overrun with the same immature, degenerate people they have to deal with at work or or parts of their life.

Just because you can hide behind a computer, does not make it OK to just throw all civility out the window. It's not about "toughen up" or "ignore it" or all that spew about "it is the internet, deal with it", it's about the fact you should not have to deal with it immature little brats..most of which are well into their adult hood but mentally never learned how to grow up past age 12.

This kind of behavior was not always a part of the internet, those that say it is, are just the young teens that have only been on the internet for a few years. There was a lot more respect in the early days of EQ, back before online gaming became more mainstream, and all the un-parented, bad mouthed brats grew up to become gamers, thinking they are the most entitled kid in the world and they can do whatever they wan't, while hiding behind a computer screen.
    bdayaffair_zps6675e60e.png
  • Options
    thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    orieldave wrote: »
    I saw some arsehole running round called Cancer Face the other day. Seriously not funny when someone close to you has cancer I can tell you.

you do realise Cancer is also a star sign.
    what the hell is wrong with you people...
  • Options
    xraxisxraxis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    maho4200 wrote: »
    LOL, oh you are a little kid as well.

That is the biggest sentence of irony ever ;)

(Google irony you probably don't know what it means)

Good try youngster.

Clearly you have never read satire and further proves how bland of a person you must be. It was ironic on purpose you idiot.

You are a ****ing joke and no one loves you.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    All these "toughen up" people don't realize that many people deal with enough <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in their real lives, and they don't want to see a game they enjoy being overrun with the same immature, degenerate people they have to deal with at work or or parts of their life.

Just because you can hide behind a computer, does not make it OK to just throw all civility out the window. It's not about "toughen up" or "ignore it" or all that spew about "it is the internet, deal with it", it's about the fact you should not have to deal with it immature little brats..most of which are well into their adult hood but mentally never learned how to grow up past age 12.

This kind of behavior was not always a part of the internet, those that say it is, are just the young teens that have only been on the internet for a few years. There was a lot more respect in the early days of EQ, back before online gaming became more mainstream, and all the un-parented, bad mouthed brats grew up to become gamers, thinking they are the most entitled kid in the world and they can do whatever they wan't, while hiding behind a computer screen.

Then don't play a game where you're supposed to interact with thousands, if not millions of other individuals with varying opinions, personalities, views etc
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Insulting the people that use insulting names because they're insulting those of us that don't agree with insulting names gets us nowhere.

Everybody has their own set of opinions. My opinion and wish is that we would all just try to be our kindest selves and respect that some words are triggers for people.
  • Options
    capetorialforumcapetorialforum Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Perspective and human intelligence usually dictates behavior on the side of moderation. In one part of the world, I can say I enjoy seeing terrorist activity, while in another, every patriot and victim cries legal enforcement (as an example). It comes down to respecting varying levels of considered appropriate behavior erring on the side of better safe than sorry. If they allow the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> Ive seen, they also have to deal with the stuff they might not like too- hence creating a furthered degraded experience for all their customers. We dont need every type of human sexuality discussed in general chat channels, nor hear about how many different animals had been violated (with love though) by people.

You're saying err on the side of caution, but you use the word <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>...Just shut the **** up. Seriously, shut up. Look, what's this about? Your kid learning new words? If your kid learning anything upsets you, you're a bad parent. 'Nuff said. If these words offend YOU, your parents suck.
  • Options
    panaraspanaras Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is a D&D Game many of us old school guys want to roleplay...how can I roleplay with names like Killerz1232 and PwnedThis...
    either naming policy or RP Servers and Casual ones.......a good example is Lotro... plz conider it....
  • Options
    sefeniasefenia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 54
    edited May 2013

I agree 100%. This community is starting to remind me of reddit. I miss the old days of gaming where people at least tried to be respectful. :(
    vn7W95H.png
This discussion has been closed.