test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Being able to roll need on items you can't use has got to go.

Comments

• thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    why so Cryptic don't have to consider changing things?
    PFFT .
  • damnkilljoydamnkilljoy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Huh, I've done multiple dungeon runs with pugs, and I wasn't even aware of the issue as all the blue equip that dropped for TR, only I as a TR rolled need on. I was under the impression that that's how it works, it just gave me warm fuzzy feelings that all those people I party with aren't greedy individuals but nice ones :o
  • chris361chris361 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You may want to consider doing the Dungeon Delves if the need/greed thing has you mad or upset. It is a guarantee that you will get a blue for your class.
  • chuckwolfchuckwolf Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Personally I think the whole need/greed system should be eliminated and go for a round robin loot system giving everyone the same random chance of getting the drop.
    @Powerblast in game
  • arkangelx3arkangelx3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Maybe by the luck of the God's of Faerun, ive been blessed with being the party leader in every instance i enter. The first thingi say is:
    "I only have one rule, DO NOT NEED on anything that isnt a Blue boss Drop that your class can use"
    I then give everyone ONE warning who continues to need stuff. After the second time, i kick them. Out of the 4-5 instances ive done, I have yet to NOT kick someone for needing green items.
    18.jpg
  • mrglad8mrglad8 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Simply add another option :
    Definitely Need

Well I like it this way.. I didnt like the new WOW thing that you automatically got an item to your inventory after a boss-fight... no fun at all !
  • vyviannevyvianne Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kfmc wrote: »
    I agree with it being an age old problem, though I cannot fathom how it managed to be a problem for this long seeing as WoW (among other mmos) has had it for years. If your class cannot wear it then you cannot press the Need button. Simple as that.

WoW no longer has it where you can choose 'need' if you cannot use it. It has it set up so if its not your job type, you can only greed or pass. Been this way for quite a while now.
  • thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    chris361 wrote: »
    You may want to consider doing the Dungeon Delves if the need/greed thing has you mad or upset. It is a guarantee that you will get a blue for your class.

if the queue wasnt 45 minute wait.
  • b0ulib0uli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    skrigg wrote: »
    Absolutely no reason to be able to do this. It just creates problems and drives people to grief and away from the game.

There is a very easy fix on this.
    Seeing that items remain BoE when you Need on it when you are not even gonna Need it and simply gonna vendor / AH it is a very bad implementation of the Need/Greed system.
    There is no point in selecting Greed over Need with the current roll system implemented.

The best solution which is also very easy to implement as well is:
    Everyone can still Need/Greed/Pass on all items and simply if a person Needs on an item that items becomes Bind on Pickup after you win the roll, making it impossible to put it on the AH (you can still Vendor it, but on the AH you can earn those Diamonds seeing that is the AH currency).
    If you win an item via Greed that item remains Bind on Equip.
    That way you disencourage ninja's that auto need on ALL items they see in a dungeon / skirmish.

With the above mentioned system people who need on an item have alot higher chance of winning it, because the biggest reason why everyone simply needs on all items is the fact they remain BoE so they can AH them.
  • yoterroryoterror Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Companions can use some items also so you could "need" some item that is not for your class. I would like only need or pass and that's enough. If someone need to equip, sell or for companion doesn't matter
  • dimtoxdimtox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 81
    edited May 2013
    Its simple we have a black list on people who need on stuff they cant use. They end up in our group we drop grp cause we are the majority and they loose out... I have a list and and a website for it.. I might just make it public so people can beware of those people.
  • erluciuserlucius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 213 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    b0uli wrote: »
    There is a very easy fix on this.
    Seeing that items remain BoE when you Need on it when you are not even gonna Need it and simply gonna vendor / AH it is a very bad implementation of the Need/Greed system.
    There is no point in selecting Greed over Need with the current roll system implemented.

The best solution which is also very easy to implement as well is:
    Everyone can still Need/Greed/Pass on all items and simply if a person Needs on an item that items becomes Bind on Pickup after you win the roll, making it impossible to put it on the AH (you can still Vendor it, but on the AH you can earn those Diamonds seeing that is the AH currency).
    If you win an item via Greed that item remains Bind on Equip.
    That way you disencourage ninja's that auto need on ALL items they see in a dungeon / skirmish.

With the above mentioned system people who need on an item have alot higher chance of winning it, because the biggest reason why everyone simply needs on all items is the fact they remain BoE so they can AH them.

Would be good IF you forgot to consider that rolled items are unidentified so they might be useless even to equip
  • breagandaerthbreagandaerth Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    skrigg wrote: »
    Absolutely no reason to be able to do this. It just creates problems and drives people to grief and away from the game.

agreed need needs to be greyed out if unusable for the class your playing
  • breagandaerthbreagandaerth Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dimtox wrote: »
    Its simple we have a black list on people who need on stuff they cant use. They end up in our group we drop grp cause we are the majority and they loose out... I have a list and and a website for it.. I might just make it public so people can beware of those people.

Sounds like a lot of work. I would rather them grey it out if your class can't use it.
  • holograhamholograham Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Simple solution is to "lock out" need on items you cant equip, if something drops and the class it's for doesn't need it/ isn't there you can ask people to pass instead for an alt or something, surprised this wasn't addressed before.
    BRSNT.png
  • dimtoxdimtox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 81
    edited May 2013
    Sounds like a lot of work. I would rather them grey it out if your class can't use it.
    Ive already done it for internal use in guild only..

I cant tell you how many t imes we have booted peeps who have done it. and this is at 60 where you have very few who are doing the t2
  • erluciuserlucius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 213 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    SOLUTION: give a +100 to rolls for owner classes of those items ;D
  • mideonap2mideonap2 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    internet shock collars so when people do things that make you upset you can zap them, problem solved
  • revmalrevmal Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Agree and second getting rid of need for non-class items, or for any item that is not identified, I lost a blue wizard piece to a rogue last night, he was rolling need on everything.
    Also need an id option, if majority choose to id, than someone at random loses a scroll and the item is then identified, or something like that.
  • saborwsaborw Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Rolling Needs means You need that item to use. Rolling Greed means you're only interested in selling it if nobody needs it.

I watched a Rogue yesterday pretty much roll need on everything that dropped, even on what he can't use. If you confront these people they just say Oh I have an Alt that can use it, which we all know is BS 90% of the time.

The only fair system that works for PUGs too is everyone gets their own loot/loot bags
  • ezkiyuezkiyu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    revmal wrote: »
    Agree and second getting rid of need for non-class items, or for any item that is not identified, I lost a blue wizard piece to a rogue last night, he was rolling need on everything.
    Also need an id option, if majority choose to id, than someone at random loses a scroll and the item is then identified, or something like that.

Freaking Rogues.....
    Death to all Rogues! -Tripnotik
    edited May 2013
    i so should make my black list public
  • saborwsaborw Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ezkiyu wrote: »
    Freaking Rogues.....

Probably the same group I was in! Rolled need, AND WON, twice, on two separate blues that he couldn't even use. It made me mad, even though I passed on the items
    edited May 2013
    Like angies list but for MMOS
  • beldineubeldineu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To be honest, I don't really care. In every MMO I've played, PUG groups generally end up having someone who doesn't understand fair play by default. And how would I define fair play in item rolls? Here's how:

- If you can't use it at all on the character you're currently playing on, PASS, unless agreed otherwise before the run.
    - If you can use it, but it's not class specific, roll GREED.
    - If you can use it and it's for your class specifically, you can roll NEED.

- If it is a crafting ingredient that goes into your main craft *only*, roll NEED.
    - If it is a generic crafting ingredient that can be used by multiple crafts, roll GREED.

- IMPORTANT: If you have no intention to use the item yourself, DO NOT roll NEED for it, ever. As said by someone else already, rolling for items you intend to auction or sell otherwise is the very definition of greed and should be treated as such in item rolls. No, I'm not saying you're a greedy... ahem, let's say, "an extremely greedy person", that will only happen if you start needing the items for sale. :P

As a rule of thumb, roll NEED for anything that can only be used by your current character, GREED for everything else. That gets you started and you can learn more along the way.
  • colkernelcolkernel Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Frankly the whole Need/Greed thing is an abomination IMO anyway. That stupid dialog box keeps popping up while I'm fighting stuff and I just <shift+#> to get rid of it. I try to see if there's red text and hit 2 if so, but I may or may not actually hit it as I'm busy with other stuff at the moment.

The solution is simple, AUTOMATE THE **** THING. Can this be used by my class (Y/N)? If Y then roll on it, if N then don't. There's no need for human intervention at all.
  • rasmenar2112rasmenar2112 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Most efficient fix for Need vs. Greed is: If you can't equip it, you can't need roll on it, if you Need roll on it, it becomes Bound so you can't auction or trade it. Not terribly hard from a Coding standpoint either, you just have to add in a few checks to the Need option.
    Alone in the darkness, that is where you truly discover yourself. Without self, without the core of your identity, you are nothing. - Rasmenar
  • ezkiyuezkiyu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    that is true
    Death to all Rogues! -Tripnotik
  • penglish82penglish82 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Disagree 100% yes it's annoying but who are you or I to say that they shouldn't have it. Like people have said it's bind on equip rather than pickup and with it being F2P lots of people could use the AD they could get on the AH, plus it could be sent to an alt.
    The issue is with need/greed in PUGs, there's never going to be co-operation (for the most part) in PUGs, loot only works when you're adventuring with like-minded people.
    Also don't forget it's DnD:

Wizard: Ahaha the orb of Narlicx .
    Barbarian: Gem is shiny me wants.
    Wizard: But you can't use it.
    Barbarian: ME WANTS!!
    Wizard: But you...
    ...SQUISH
    Barbarian: Who wants shiny?
    Thief/Cleric: You keep it!!

So sadly loot theft is part of DnD.
  • licourtrix1licourtrix1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 232 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yep, BOE on all boss drops and PVP loot (unbelievable lol) has to go.
    How much do clothes cost in the Matrix?