test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

*Offensive Names* Have you guys considered policing the character names?

ancientwolfgr808ancientwolfgr808 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
As the title says- I didnt expect all the variations of commonly used four letter expletives, female (and male) <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, and various body functions/secretions being used in names. Before some monkey rolls out and says report them, theres only 3 servers for crissake, and simply watching zone chats can net a chimp a fishnet full of catches without telling your customers to police for you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Still trying to find a reference to AD in my AD&D Manuals.
Post edited by ancientwolfgr808 on

Comments

• jakula1jakula1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There had been a heap of really inappropriate names. There also a large number of inappropriate people as well.
  • darknight0354darknight0354 Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    jakula1 wrote: »
    There had been a heap of really inappropriate names. There also a large number of inappropriate people as well.

Inappropriate people? Lolwut? Anything that can be talked about on this game has already been heard by the time you're in 4th grade. People really need to "grow up" when it comes to curse words or anything else they consider "bad" when referring to language. It's a word, nothing more and nothing less.
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 131
    edited May 2013
    It is the way of the intrawebz. Lets figure out the most offensive name/Icon/Avatar/etc we can just to get people worked up. It's lame and it shouldn't happen, but it does. I'm kind of surprised over the years they haven't come up with better filters to catch things like that.
  • ancientwolfgr808ancientwolfgr808 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Inappropriate people? Lolwut? Anything that can be talked about on this game has already been heard by the time you're in 4th grade. People really need to "grow up" when it comes to curse words or anything else they consider "bad" when referring to language. It's a word, nothing more and nothing less.

Perspective and human intelligence usually dictates behavior on the side of moderation. In one part of the world, I can say I enjoy seeing terrorist activity, while in another, every patriot and victim cries legal enforcement (as an example). It comes down to respecting varying levels of considered appropriate behavior erring on the side of better safe than sorry. If they allow the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> Ive seen, they also have to deal with the stuff they might not like too- hence creating a furthered degraded experience for all their customers. We dont need every type of human sexuality discussed in general chat channels, nor hear about how many different animals had been violated (with love though) by people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Still trying to find a reference to AD in my AD&D Manuals.
  • grikgidgrikgid Member Posts: 35
    edited May 2013
    Most of the very explicit names and chat arise from young males out to prove to themsleves to their peer group and to shock the rest of us. It is all part of growing up; the trouble is that the Internet gives them a massive mouthpiece for their trash talk and they get what they want very easily because of it. When I were a lad it was hard to find many to victims to shock other than the local post mistress :)

It bugs me too; just ignore them; report vile names and get back to enjoying the game, they will soon get bored and go off and plague somewhere else.
  • healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    jakula1 wrote: »

Just /ignore and move on.
    '-'

128774166804555132.jpg?1324566304
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I just make liberal use of the ignore feature. We are given the tools to control what we see on our own screens, which is good enough for me in a MMO. Have I seen names that I feel have no place in Neverwinter? Absolutely. But I refuse to give them what they want by letting agitate or annoy me. Just takes a click to remove them from my game experience.

Way of least resistance, I guess!
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Double post, sorry!
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

exactly this.
    HArden the **** up. You dont live in bubbles hidden away from the outside word. Profanity, vulgarity...hell life is all around. Snap out of this bull**** uppity up philosophy and get on with things. Don't like the name or language dont look at it.

We are individual and we have our own tastes, just because it doesnt conform to your liking doesnt mean we have to succumb to your way of life.
  • xraxisxraxis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Perspective and human intelligence usually dictates behavior on the side of moderation. In one part of the world, I can say I enjoy seeing terrorist activity, while in another, every patriot and victim cries legal enforcement (as an example). It comes down to respecting varying levels of considered appropriate behavior erring on the side of better safe than sorry. If they allow the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> Ive seen, they also have to deal with the stuff they might not like too- hence creating a furthered degraded experience for all their customers. We dont need every type of human sexuality discussed in general chat channels, nor hear about how many different animals had been violated (with love though) by people.

Sounds like you have some need to control other people. Maybe you should focus on your own flaws.
  • glomthemightyglomthemighty Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So don't care. Imagine for a moment it wasn't your place to regulate our language.
  • bloodshot890bloodshot890 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    four letter expletives, female (and male) <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, and various body functions/secretions
    **** I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks bro! /reroll
  • malvoumalvou Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, because Slutara *****seye is a perfectly wonderful name for a hero.
  • hsthst Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2013
    Careful cuz he/she/it may end up thinking this is a offensive reply too.

Grow up, plz, the problem is not the word or the name, but what you think it may means.

If you see a girl calling for "<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>" not always means what you think. Maybe she's calling for her little cute pink dog.

Its not because someone put his char's name like the one in the post above it means what you think it means. Maybe he just liked the letter's combination.
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Does Wang count? >_> I seen a guy called Wang. He might be Chinese.
  • general369general369 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    3svyaf.jpg
  • bloodshot890bloodshot890 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    malvou wrote: »
    Yeah, because Slutara *****seye is a perfectly wonderful name for a hero.
    Eliza Windsailor? rofl
  • epoch85epoch85 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't be so uptight. They are just letters. They can't harm you. People probably wouldn't make names like that as often if you didn't respond the way you are. You're playing right into their little fantasy of someone being appalled by their name.
  • syle123syle123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    general369 wrote: »
    3svyaf.jpg
  • illideshillidesh Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They are words that do not have a place in being allowed where children will be participating and playing in the same game world. Further more, there will be plenty of room for major law suits if there isn't a pinch put on naming. You can expect that things will get worked on. After all, this is open beta.

You might think it is ok. You might even want to support it because you may or may not use such naming. But just because you agree with it, does not make it right for you to decide what other parent's children see.

This is an MMO, if you want to play with in that game format. You should be expected to act as a responsible adult. Or do you think you could get away with getting a job with the use of those names on an application for work?
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    illidesh wrote: »
    They are words that do not have a place in being allowed where children will be participating and playing in the same game world. Further more, there will be plenty of room for major law suits if there isn't a pinch put on naming. You can expect that things will get worked on. After all, this is open beta.

You might think it is ok. You might even want to support it because you may or may not use such naming. But just because you agree with it, does not make it right for you to decide what other parent's children see.

This is an MMO, if you want to play with in that game format. You should be expected to act as a responsible adult. Or do you think you could get away with getting a job with the use of those names on an application for work?

See these children you mention most likely they are the ones doing these names . I am shocked at some of the words my daughter knows*

* I must add she is in her late teens so yeah...I'm old :<
  • xraxisxraxis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    illidesh wrote: »

Then do your job as a parent and prevent your kids from playing then. If they are too young to see vulgarity (which I am 100% sure they use most of those words you are so worried about on a day to day basis) Then they are probably too young to be playing this game since there are adult situations especially with the foundry content.

If you think there will be a lawsuit from a lax naming policy. It makes me wonder how you are capable of using a computer.
  • zinopsiswarszinopsiswars Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I saw one today called The Boston Bomber. Made me sick.
  • wastingsanitywastingsanity Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And thus the trolls will ruin any chance for immersion in an mmo and why there will never be a true MMORPG. Honestly I liked the fact that EQ used to get on to the trolls back in the day. They wouldn't let them get away with the names that were running around. As for language in chat, that was never cracked down on. Just the names.

They have a 9 - 5 customer service team so after hours you are pretty clear to do what you want. Bad management.
  • maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You realize growing up is realizing that it's not funny right, I'm guessing you are a late teen so you aren't even really an adult anyway.

--

Also why are people allowed to have numbers in their name that's completely stupid.
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • slouchvikingslouchviking Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Humor is subjective, not objective.
    Growing up isnt outgrowing "i find this funny", its outgrowing others opinions and standing for what you like.

But i named my companion "Your Mom" so what do i know?
    edited May 2013
    maho4200 wrote: »
    You realize growing up is realizing that it's not funny right, I'm guessing you are a late teen so you aren't even really an adult anyway.

--

Also why are people allowed to have numbers in their name that's completely stupid.

I feel bad for you if that's what you think "growing up" consists of. And maybe if you are "growing up" you shouldn't be playing video games. Its funny that the world must revolve around you and your ideals, or face your whambulance. "growing up" consists of doing what you have to do in your life to live and provide for your family. It doesn't consist of whining about people using foul language on video games.
  • kaydiechikaydiechi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    ITT: whiny *****es

on a more related note, people can enjoy vulgar and tasteless humor all they want, it's their prerogative, but crude and antagonizing character names DO breach the terms of use, (or eula? dont remember or care) so therefore action should be taken, period.

you dont like the rules of the game then don't play, this thread isnt about right or wrong, the game says its wrong, OP is annoyed at the lack of proactive action taken, and i agree.

saw some guy named "Big <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>" running around, didnt care much but might offend some.

personally names like "best player EU" or "seperoth918" kill it for me far more than profane names
  • maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    xraxis wrote: »
    I feel bad for you if that's what you think "growing up" consists of. And maybe if you are "growing up" you shouldn't be playing video games.
    LOL, oh you are a little kid as well.
    Its funny that the world must revolve around you and your ideals, or face your whambulance. "growing up" consists of doing what you have to do in your life to live and provide for your family.

That is the biggest sentence of irony ever ;)

(Google irony you probably don't know what it means)

Good try youngster.
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • aevlomaevlom Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't attribute low intelligence/maturity with age. There are plenty of old morons making characters with offensive and unoriginal names.
    Case in point, first day of Founders of the North head start, some ******* ran by me with the name of a male anatomy part, spelled with two E's instead of one.
This discussion has been closed.