test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Being able to roll need on items you can't use has got to go.

skriggskrigg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Absolutely no reason to be able to do this. It just creates problems and drives people to grief and away from the game.
Post edited by skrigg on

Comments

• Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What does "roll need on items" mean. Sorry not flaming. English is my third tongue I am not sure of this phrase :I
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How do you define need?

Considering nearly everything is bind on equip. And can be sold and traded for AD. Need can be very open.

Id personally much rather quest to earn cash and buy an item I really want. Then to have to hope for and rely on the luck of a random drop that might be for my class but might not have the stats I want.

Besides, if everyone rolls equally...then it is by default equal. And the odds of coming out of a run with something of value to show for it is increased. Rather then hoping you get blessed with a drop that the rest of the party feels you might be worthy of even rolling for.
  • Options
    skaitheskaithe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is only one definition of need - I can use it, and it's an upgrade to what I'm using. Everything else falls under greed. It's not open for debate.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OHHHHH Need or Greed . Yeah need can be a pain.
  • Options
    sparkypr71sparkypr71 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Agree with the OP. On more than one occasion I have been on a group where somebody was needing on every item that dropped.
    Once the rest of the group caught on, then everybody was needing the items. Just becomes a mess, and nobody gets the stuff they "really" need.
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree. If your class can't equip it you should only have 2 options: Greed or Pass. Need should not even be an option.
  • Options
    skriggskrigg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rapticor wrote: »
    I agree. If your class can't equip it you should only have 2 options: Greed or Pass. Need should not even be an option.

This, please change this so people enjoy the grouping experience!!
  • Options
    soulravesoulrave Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Age old problem in MMOs and one of the foremost reasons why people prefer their own groups over random groups, to avoid the people who NEED everything.
  • Options
    kfmckfmc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    soulrave wrote: »
    Age old problem in MMOs and one of the foremost reasons why people prefer their own groups over random groups, to avoid the people who NEED everything.

I agree with it being an age old problem, though I cannot fathom how it managed to be a problem for this long seeing as WoW (among other mmos) has had it for years. If your class cannot wear it then you cannot press the Need button. Simple as that.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    How do you define need?

Considering nearly everything is bind on equip. And can be sold and traded for AD. Need can be very open.

"I want it to sell" is the very definition of greed. /shrug
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Give people a maximum number of "needs" per unit time - say it's like 5/hr or something. Sure, you want to "need" everything up front - not gonna be able to do it later.

Of course, the ideal solution is to simply join a team of people you know, and either let the leader distribute drops, or just go w/ some kind of round-robin scheme.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    haarkon1haarkon1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013

This is how it should be. Roll need all you want on items that anybody can use, but limit class specific items to the classes they belong to.
  • Options
    mikelove9mikelove9 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    "I want it to sell" is the very definition of greed. /shrug

lol yes. everyones making this too complicated. class specific drops should go to the class it belongs to. so what if they dont even use it, it will even out for everyone in the end as everyone will have a better shot at getting an item for their class
  • Options
    darkfie1ddarkfie1d Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The whole idea of needing an item you can't use is absurd.

@mikelove9 lol! is this your first mmorpg experience? or are you that clueless by default?
  • Options
    pugginspuggins Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Disappointing. I can't believe MMOs are still being released that allow this.

At least Rift patched later to fix it.
  • Options
    dreamo1984dreamo1984 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    One of the problems, a lot of unidentified stuff like belts and rings etc you can't tell if you will need or want it all until you get it and ID. So basically everyone either has to roll need or greed on it.
  • Options
    lemongrenadeslemongrenades Member Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    This is my first MMO experience, and I immediately noticed rolling "need" on everything is the better option by far. Unless you play with people you know and want to distribute loot evenly and by class. Otherwise, need is synonymous with greed.
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dreamo1984 wrote: »
    One of the problems, a lot of unidentified stuff like belts and rings etc you can't tell if you will need or want it all until you get it and ID. So basically everyone either has to roll need or greed on it.

That's different than rolling Need on a red item that your class can't use at all. It might not end up being an upgrade but at least there was a possibility of them needing it.
  • Options
    jakula1jakula1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When I get in a group and face someone needing on everything I find that telling them it's rude is pointless and will only lead to being abused. So I just need everything once I see someone else doing it /shrug.
  • Options
    dreamo1984dreamo1984 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    That's different than rolling Need on a red item that your class can't use at all. It might not end up being an upgrade but at least there was a possibility of them needing it.

Right absolutely. I think that should be changed immediately. But the other stuff is still kind of a bummer. I end up getting tons of stuff I know someone else could use just because we all had to roll need to find out if we could use it.
  • Options
    skaitheskaithe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dreamo1984 wrote: »

That's a problem with the whole ID mechanic which serves no purpose whatsoever and should never have been added in the first place.
  • Options
    lokaidraxmartislokaidraxmartis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bigger issue in my book is that ALL the items are unidentified that drop for the most part SO half the time dont even know if you need it or not...so end up needing on anything that you can wear... because chance its an upgrade is pretty high
  • Options
    mikelove9mikelove9 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    darkfie1d wrote: »
    The whole idea of needing an item you can't use is absurd.

@mikelove9 lol! is this your first mmorpg experience? or are you that clueless by default?

uh no ive been playing since eq in 1999. im also agreeing with you, wtf are you talking about
  • Options
    ihaveamaceihaveamace Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bigger issue in my book is that ALL the items are unidentified that drop for the most part SO half the time dont even know if you need it or not...so end up needing on anything that you can wear... because chance its an upgrade is pretty high

No,no.The op is not talking about unidentified items.Even unidentified items at least tell you for what class they are for and for what level.

The problem is that a X class can need a Y class item.When it's a item you can't wear it's highlighted in red but you can still roll Need for it.Doesn't make any sense.This useless system is a relic from games where a class that could wear heavy armor could also wear cloth armor.
  • Options
    capgarnascapgarnas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 500 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    This is my first MMO experience, and I immediately noticed rolling "need" on everything is the better option by far. Unless you play with people you know and want to distribute loot evenly and by class. Otherwise, need is synonymous with greed.

You are what is wrong. Class item blue need for class. Green item greed. Pass on non class blue.

It is people like u who drive everything to need. You are the person that i noticed needing while others greed and ninjaing all items. Go to hell and die you no sense of community ******. When i first gamed i didnt want to need in case i made a mistake because back then there was a community. Sigh u r terribad
  • Options
    kfmckfmc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    But still, most of those "needed" items are vendor trash. And unless you're willing to waste ID scrolls on it, they're dirt cheap. Do a few copper/silver coins really worth that much to people that they're going to screw over others who might actually use those gear? I just find it silly. My bag space would fill up if I needed on every random green gear that drops.

Also, don't be the first loot ninja in the party. Why? Simple, I've actually had plenty of instances where everyone are nice and only needs on what they want. However, that all changes when there's a loot ninja which makes everyone else start needing. Guess what, that loot ninja just screwed himself over because now, he's competing with 4 other people for gear that he might actually need. All for a few paltry silver coins.
    Boss loot already are identified, so no problems there. As for the random green loot, well, nothing green will make for a huge upgrade if it's the same equipment required level. You'll probably just trade 30 power for 30 recovery or something. My personal rule, if the green loot is 2 levels above my green gear, then I'll need it because you'll actually get a higher total stat like 30 power for 40 recovery. If it's the same level or below, I don't bother with it.
  • Options
    denverralphydenverralphy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Some MMO's will disable the Need button on items your toon can't even equip. But there is a drawback... It makes getting full groups together more difficult.

It's one thing to advertise "LF1M! Need DPS" and you'll probably not have a problem filling that last slot. However, with disabled Need buttons, you get a lot of "LF2M! Need Tank, Need DPS. - No Rogue, No Guardian!" because nobody wants to share the Need opportunities, and now it takes forever for groups to fill because they're more picky, and the chat gets spammed with more LFG/LFM messages.

Don't get me wrong... I'm a huge proponent of the accepted need before greed method (no, equipping alts does not constitute need), but sometimes you've gotta role with what may be better in the long run.

Myself personally, the moment I see party members Needing on items they can't even use... I just drop party and leave.
  • Options
    lemongrenadeslemongrenades Member Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    capgarnas wrote: »
    You are what is wrong. Class item blue need for class. Green item greed. Pass on non class blue.

It is people like u who drive everything to need. You are the person that i noticed needing while others greed and ninjaing all items. Go to hell and die you no sense of community ******. When i first gamed i didnt want to need in case i made a mistake because back then there was a community. Sigh u r terribad

I was pointing out how I noticed people were doing it. What am I supposed to do? Be the only one in a party doing it "right"? If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. But thanks for the insults. Don't talk about a sense of community when you **** all over people.
  • Options
    capgarnascapgarnas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 500 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I was pointing out how I noticed people were doing it. What am I supposed to do? Be the only one in a party doing it "right"? If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. But thanks for the insults. Don't talk about a sense of community when you **** all over people.

that's it don't fight it join it. I think that's what they did in <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> Germany. Lets just all go along.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Invoking Godwins law this thread needs to go the lower depths :)