test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

whats peoples opinion about forgotten realm trademark character names?

2»

Comments

• Options
    feyllfeyll Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    Segregation and Prejudice. This is how we make the world better, right?
    Well I could stick my head in the sand and hope my tolerance magically makes everything better and I end the day riding a unicorn off into the sunset whilest I glisten with fairy dust. Yeah... doesn't work in the real world or here.
    Critics breed growth, apologists (fanboys) breed stagnation.
  • Options
    feyllfeyll Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    allaerra wrote: »
    Wow, that's mature. This is a D&D based game. Did you really think you wouldn't see people using their favorite character names?

Nope. I knew it'd happen... people are unoriginal and hair-brained more often than not. I just expected Cryptic to do something about it.
    Critics breed growth, apologists (fanboys) breed stagnation.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    allaerra wrote: »
    Conversely, why not? If those are the names they like, why shouldn't they use them?

Because to be blunt it just shows no imagination and I want to team with people that have half a brain.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I suddenly want to make a character named Not'Drizzt just to see what happens :cool:
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Personally, I don't care. But, then, I've never really read many of the Forgotten Realms novels. Also, I guess I don't notice names all that much unless they really stand out. (like, I see people in chat talking about "Ragnar" being the most common name. I can't recall seeing one yet. /shrug)
  • Options
    akikisaragiakikisaragi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Some people have always wanted a character they could name Drizzt or whoever, big deal, let them have it.
  • Options
    askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jacktanto wrote: »
    well as the thread is named, what is peoples opinion about trademark forgotten names like Elminster and drizzt do'urden.
    or using celebrity names as character names, should it be allowed or not?

i personally don't like it, but that's just my opinion,
    would love to hear what others think about it.

Its tacky and cheapens the game. I've seen every imaginable Salvatore character, even dead ones. I mean come up people, get some originality and original thought. Just further dumbs down the AD&D feel of the game.
  • Options
    jethraynejethrayne Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't care as long as it follows the ToS.
  • Options
    xberithxxberithx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i think determining the intelligence level of a person by the name they choose in a game is going a little too far.they are in the end die hard fans of series like yourselves,but they go a step father by trying emulate their favorite charters.i'm personally not a fan of DnD franchise and seeing popular name's won't bother me much.i will not even notice a name of nw world outside of drizzit
  • Options
    delgatto42delgatto42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Devs went on record saying its acceptable. People should stop whining and get over themselves. Hell they are turning me into one of them.

Also seriously, This is like the 5th thread on this subject? more. Each one has been nuked or put in lower depths. Can this one get the same treatment. Do we need more trolling about how it shouldn't matter if people use Salvador's characters or not before this thread dies like the rest?
    When he gets to Heaven To Saint Peter he will say, "Hand me 4d6. Lets roll the dice and play!"
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It is its like people calling themselves xXDarkassassin56Xx in Neverwinter when they dont need to add the extra xX ---- Xx or the numbers due to the games @handles.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    It is its like people calling themselves xXDarkassassin56Xx in Neverwinter when they dont need to add the extra xX ---- Xx or the numbers due to the games @handles.

The scary part is - they've gotten so accustomed to the extra garbage that "xXDarkassassin56Xx" is what looks right to them now. Although the really cool guy is "XxXDarka55a51nXxX"
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    The scary part is - they've gotten so accustomed to the extra garbage that "xXDarkassassin56Xx" is what looks right to them now. Although the really cool guy is "XxXDarka55a51nXxX"

Nope the coolest guy I ever seen was xXDEATHHEAL2000Xx :P
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nepht wrote: »

I saw xXx420xXx<something> earlier. I'd much rather see Drizzt clones than people with names like that.
  • Options
    wrenaqwrenaq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    At least they are sticking to D&D type names...I saw one guy called Sircumalot. Other games do not allow names like that why should this one.
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's a game, let people have fun. Does it really affect our gameplay?
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    infi321infi321 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well id rather see a Drizzt Do'Urden than a ****ing "Tirion Fording" or "Sephiroth"

Im tired of uninspiring and uncreative teens in a game that actually has some of the best lore.

I ignore these people if I see them in the chat.
    "Your story may not last forever; but it will exist forever"
  • Options
    mmcsky1mmcsky1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    steppenkat wrote: »
    It's a game, let people have fun. Does it really affect our gameplay?

Yes, I'm a tank and a person with an unimaginative name makes me grind my teeth and forget what I am doing,the rage flows so hard that i rage quit and come to the forums to voice my anger.

But seriously,sometimes your choice in name shows your inner persona regarding imagination and psyche, and in my experience I have noticed attitude goes hand in hand with the name you give yourself in a virtual world (wether you are just RPing,using a different alter ego, or being true to yourself), and rarely is just a whim.
  • Options
    direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    feyll wrote: »
    Well I could stick my head in the sand and hope my tolerance magically makes everything better and I end the day riding a unicorn off into the sunset whilest I glisten with fairy dust. Yeah... doesn't work in the real world or here.

You'd have to pry it out of your *** first.
    But, sand is a vast improvement.
    I say go for it.

Yeah in the real world, people aren't denied jobs, or friendship because of their ****ing names.

Racism, sexism, loot <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, kill stealing, griefing, etc. All of these are valid reasons to kick someone. Their non-offensive name? Stupid reason.
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • Options
    fgfghfjkhfkfffgfghfjkhfkff Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    *Heavy Sigh*
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If the game allowed enough characters id name a character xxXxDeathKillerxSuperSayanxIronManxDrizztxGokuxXxx

It would be the most awesome name EVER!
  • Options
    mmcsky1mmcsky1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    direcrow wrote: »
    The sand is a vast improvement over where you've chosen to stick your head now. I say go for it.

Yeah in the real world, people aren't denied jobs, or friendship because of their ****ing names.

Racism, sexism, loot <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, kill stealing, griefing, etc. All of these are valid reasons to kick someone. Their non-offensive name? Stupid reason.

Maybe in America, but the rest of the world has a lot of countries that put a lot of weight in your name,will not give examples because its lenghty and boring.
    So yeah a name can make or break you in the real world
  • Options
    direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mmcsky1 wrote: »
    Maybe in America, but the rest of the world has a lot of countries that put a lot of weight in your name,will not give examples because its lenghty and boring.
    So yeah a name can make or break you in the real world

Yeah but unless you live in one of those ****ty countries, it probably won't.
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • Options
    c10udc10ud Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    I feel the need to point out the use of "it lacks originality" as an argument when it reeks of hypocrisy. Consider that Dungeons & Dragons itself, beyond the first PnP concept is unoriginal. To further expound this point, you are playing a game that is loosely based on an edition of a game that had been adapted and modified more than once by more than one "creator". Further, it is one of the most over-recycled franchises... EVER (next to Star Trek and Star Wars,) yet I fail to see you removing yourself from Cryptic's Neverwinter based on the fact that these deviants reused material.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    infi321 wrote: »
    well id rather see a Drizzt Do'Urden than a ****ing "Tirion Fording" or "Sephiroth"

Im tired of uninspiring and uncreative teens in a game that actually has some of the best lore.

I ignore these people if I see them in the chat.

Yeah have to agree with this. Seen a lot of Clouds and Sephiroths ingame :I