test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Possible the limited closed beta where people spent so much to get in is biting back

drwarpeffectdrwarpeffect Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 71 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Having the limited closed beta where to participate in all weekends required a hefty investment looks to have led to inadequate load testing. Of course, all the launch trouble may be other factors, but obviously load is the newest change. I am not happy with my "play" experience where my total number of kills is only slightly more than the total number of log-in attempts. I can only say that I would be $200 less happy if I had the big founders pack.

And before the chorus of "its only beta," let me just say that I refuse to be bamboozled by F2P devs crying beta to cover their sins. When the cash store is up and running the game is released, call it open beta all you want. If you don't believe me do a credit card wipe and see how they react.
Post edited by drwarpeffect on

Comments

• pandadismantlerpandadismantler Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Tough beans sonny boy. Welcome to Open Beta Stress Test. Deal with it yo
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Actually, they invited very many people to the beta tests who were not founders.

Also, this launch is far smoother than WoW's or TOR's, where I had 7 hours queues during the headstart, and both had large beta tests, partly even public (like WoW). If there is interest in a game, any MMO launch is plagued by load and technical issues.

I paid for the HotN pack, and twice that for Zen, and another $60 for the Guardian pack too, and I'm not in the slightest unhappy. I'd rather play right now, sure, but this is just the nature of the MMO beast. If you are not tolerant of launch issues, I would stay away from any new MMO in the first few weeks.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • kortaknlkortaknl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lol this isnt their first game..and devs mostly have nothing really to say about the F2P model. they just make the game and implement the store to finance it. But that is a business model decision usually made by some ties or the 1 or 2 people in charge
  • drwarpeffectdrwarpeffect Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok, for all those who want to claim this is just par for the course, please list all the great many MMOs that charged $200 for the "founders pack" and then had launch problems on this scale. Not launch problems alone, but launch AND a $200 founders pack.
  • jwestennjwestenn Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I understand the frustration, and I do agree with your main assertion- an open game with an active cash store is not a beta, it's 'live'. It DOES, however, give us an awesome future launch event with goodies. :)

Be patient, it'll all get sorted out eventually.
  • greyanagreyana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok, for all those who want to claim this is just par for the course, please list all the great many MMOs that charged $200 for the "founders pack" and then had launch problems on this scale. Not launch problems alone, but launch AND a $200 founders pack.

Hellgate: London.

This IS par for the course. It shouldn't be, but until the market stops supporting it, it is.
  • maroscimarosci Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't know anyone who wanted into the beta who didn't get into a weekend without paying anything. The numbers must have been fairly substantial.
  • lsyalsya Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm thinking this problem doesn't have anything to do with launch, beta, or whatever. All 3 games are down right now...STO, CO, and NW.

None of them are connecting to the login server. Something major happened.

But, I have faith in Cryptic. They run good game systems. I'm sure everything will work out fine.
    L'sya Raiya
    edited May 2013
    Greyana: A list of one is certainly not nearly enough to claim that this happens all the time. Actually I think that things are getting worse rather than better.

And Isya, my original post says "all the weekends" not "any of the weekends."
  • zeek29zeek29 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    Actually, they invited very many people to the beta tests who were not founders.

Also, this launch is far smoother than WoW's or TOR's, where I had 7 hours queues during the headstart, and both had large beta tests, partly even public (like WoW). If there is interest in a game, any MMO launch is plagued by load and technical issues.

I paid for the HotN pack, and twice that for Zen, and another $60 for the Guardian pack too, and I'm not in the slightest unhappy. I'd rather play right now, sure, but this is just the nature of the MMO beast. If you are not tolerant of launch issues, I would stay away from any new MMO in the first few weeks.
    I completely agree
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

I paid that much for the vanilla WoW CE, and the SW:TOR one wasn't far behind. These far worse launch issues of WoW, SW:TOR, Diablo 3, etc. affected 100% of the people who paid for a box and partly a subscription. Here, there are 90%+ freeloaders who, if anything, worsen the experience of those of us who paid. I'm not dishing out blame, and I like free players because it's fun to have fast PvP/dungeon queues and people to play with. But that is the other side of the coin.

You don't seem to have a founder's pack, so why speak on behalf of those of us who do? I don't get that part. We have our own voices, and as I said, I have no problems with the birthing pains of a new MMO. It's normal, it's to be expected. It simply isn't a big deal. I certainly get more playtime than I did in the other MMOs during launch.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • peterfspeterfs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This game is not a fail, but also not a huge win. If they can't fix a server or login issue, it will fail.

Keep in mind they had only a handful of closed betas, the closed beta was merely a ploy to see those founders packs. No real testing was done.

We are for the first time seeing this game get tested. And it is getting slammed hard. Had they worried less about the (seemingly greedy) $199 pay to beta test. And just did a full scale stress test, we would not be in this spot.
  • ronsonjonronsonjon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So 200 is light !! Some have spent 600.00 or more. And were told that by becomeing a "Hero Founder" they would be pushed to the first q position for log in to the game. NOT able to log in AT ALL was not a consideration. And when the CASH SHOP takes my credit card and there are no issues involved with that portion of the game, well it kinda takes one to the edge...

This is a load of BS. I was first given a hundred options to go changing tons of settings in my PC to solve the Autoupdate for the launcher. And without doing squat I was all the sudden able to get passed the launcher and THEN held up by the log in process. AND again given tons of suggestions that have nothing to do with resolving the issue of them not being able to handle the TRAFFIC....

And before you flame me with "not having the founders pack" I DO...just because we have not put the Hero tag on our forum avitar dosn't mean shat...Founders pack plus 400+ into Zen - cash shop.
    edited May 2013
    Imivo: I am NOT speaking for founders. It is your money to spend as you wish. I am simply observing as someone who watches such things very closely and worked in the computer business over ten years including having coding projects for large national and international companies like TRW and Sprint, and believe the pricing model and testing model for many F2P companies is leaning too far towards short-term profit instead of long-term value which is where the greatest profits lie. I am also very unimpressed when companies have rough MMO launches after watching it happen time after time every company should be ready for the avalanche of users, especially of a F2P game. The better you think your game is, the more you should be ready to be slammed.
  • ronsonjonronsonjon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well if I had seen some of the issues and read some of the forums with regard to other games sponsored by this grp I may have re thought the investment I put into this game. Sadly enough they have my 600.00 + and I sit unable to log in and play !!!!
  • ancientwolfgr808ancientwolfgr808 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is simply the difference between a big boys game and a feeder. It lasted a day or so longer than I expected, but did expect it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Still trying to find a reference to AD in my AD&D Manuals.
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I spent the $200 (and some more on Zen) and you don't see me crying about not being able to play. I went out and did other things. Would I have preferred to play some tonight? Sure. But we can't always get what we want. In the grand scheme of things this game will be up a lot more often than it's down. I don't know why people get so upset about not being able to play a game.
    Oh, if you paid 200+ bucks for this average game, you're an idiot.

Stay classy!

And the game was free so nobody paid $200 (or $60) for it.
  • arlandinoarlandino Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I paid money. It's no longer a beta to me. They can call it what they want. Fortunately, I like the game and I think the Foundry really sets this one apart from all the rubbish that has been coming out for the last few years. Plus, some of my friends from other games have come together to start playing this so I hope it remains fun! Now, all we need is a Ranger class so my wife will play!
  • shadow71shadow71 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited May 2013

Wait you are trying to compare WoW's launch to this game? Dude World of Warcraft is over 8 years ago and as for ToR I will give it to them it was Bioware first MMO. This problem should not be happening to company that has been bring games out over and over again. CoH, CoV, Champions Online, Star Trek Online and lets not forget all the games that Perfect World have been involed in, these are the games you associate with what type of way this game should have been released. Cryptic/PWI have been creating games for too many years to have some of the same mistakes come back and bite them in the ***.
  • darkallahdarkallah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am amazed by the shock and anger of these people over such typical launch issues. It happens in many, many MMOs at launch. Just because YOU didn't experience it doesn't mean it didn't happen... Your anger can only be blamed on one of two things. 1. Your own ignorance. If you don't understand the nature of the MMO launch process, then that lack of information is on you. The onus is not on PWE to explain to you the possibility of what has happened with dozens and dozens of other MMOs. 2. Impatience: It's BETA. Nobody's fault but your own if you were too impatient to wait for launch to use the cash shop and expect no down time. Investing in a game while still in BETA is a risk. You were either too impatient to care, or too simple to figure that out. PWE is just doing their job...
  • aisriythaisriyth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    According to facebook/twitter it was a hardware failure hence why 3 games are down.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ronsonjon wrote: »

And before you flame me with "not having the founders pack" I DO...just because we have not put the Hero tag on our forum avitar dosn't mean shat...Founders pack plus 400+ into Zen - cash shop.

Nothing you could do about the founder's pack. You bought it in advance.
    Of course, you also bought it blind without the company having to do anything to show you what they had in terms of product and/or service.

But the troubles that you are complaining about have been here since launch. Why did you spend $400.00 on a game that had yet to prove that it was stable if you are going to come to the forums and cry about the lack of stability?

The game will get itself straightened out.
    Nothing happening here that I haven't seen in other launches.

But really? Complaining about these issues on the ground that you gave them money, when you gave them that money when they were having the issues that you are complaining about?

That just defies all logic and reason.
  • thunderspankerthunderspanker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 713 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The amount of dungeons and dragons fans is staggering. pfft. you mmo fans are just a drop in the bucket. lol.. they got hit like a ton of bricks, and did really well.. it took this long to flat out crash, with a load that cant be forseen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Himmelville - Are you easily frightened?
    Click Here

On one side of the mountain, there were bones...
  • bluntdragon1bluntdragon1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jerk off, take a ****, do some laundry
  • mrlee9569mrlee9569 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 78
    edited May 2013

There where also a hell of a lot more people logging into WoW and SWTOR at launch.
    If that many people tried to log into Neverwinter we woudn't be playing right now due to the lag/servers being down.

You can't compare WoW/SWTOR's launch to Neverwinter. Big difference in population.
  • glaknarglaknar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 45
    edited May 2013

Game hasn't launched yet. So..........whats your point?
  • adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First of all the great MMO's all were launched before the idea of the F2p concenpt became the norma. I fall back to the meat and potato games that we all know...Camelot, Ultima, Eq1 etc....all subscription based games. For 15 bucks they could run a game efficiently. They all had issues at launch......it has been so long I almost forget the issues with eq1 when it launched.....

This F2p concept is utter rubbish IMO.....
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
  • matzeramatzera Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When you sit at 9,283 in queue and I immediately go to Position in Queue: 1 ----

Yeah, the 200 was worth it.
    AMD FX 8350 4.0 Mhz OC@ 4.8 Mhz
    ASUS M5A99X Evo
    EVGA GTX 680
    Gskill Ripjaw 8GB(2x4gb) DDR3 1600 @ 2133
    Corsair Hydro 110 Liquid Cooling
    Cyborg RAT 7
    Steelseries Merc Stealth (WTB Steelseries Apex! Sell it to me SS!)
    Steelseries Siberia V2 Headset (Orange)
    Razer Goliathas Omega Control Mousepad
  • moodaymooday Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    World of Warcraft goes down for 5-8 hours per week, and I pay 15 dollars a month for that game.

This game's scheduled maintenance only takes 1 hour - so this downtime makes up for it. I don't really care. And I really don't care about your opinion on how you think PW/Cryptic mishandled the launch - because I played STO (another Cryptic game) at launch: YOU AINT SEEN NOTHIN. :P
  • lsyalsya Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Greyana: A list of one is certainly not nearly enough to claim that this happens all the time. Actually I think that things are getting worse rather than better.

And Isya, my original post says "all the weekends" not "any of the weekends."

OK...first...that statement makes no sense whatsoever in relation to what I posted.
    2nd, my name's not Isya.
    L'sya Raiya