test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Old time 2nd and 3.5 ed player confused........ Is 4th edtion just boring? And others

elcan1980elcan1980 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Before im flamed by haters please understand where im coming from.. I use to pnp 1 time a week with the same group for over 10 years.. We went from 2nd to 3.5 during progress but real life and families and work seemed to tear that apart.... Well here we are playing a new DDO online, in a realm that is one of the best realms to play in and my confusion is getting the better of me..

did 4th edition get rid of skill checks like jump swim intimated etc..?

Are feats now just multipliers for main attacks rather than a unthinkable feat to show the prowess you have in combat?

Items like +3 smiting armor??? Smiting or to smite something is a skill and the armor if your not a cleric requires a UMD ( use magical device) skill check.. So im kinda lost.. the names of equipment do not make any sense when using these terms, unless UMD is something of the past... But that's wheat made D&D great was any player could use, and wear any armor, and use any weapon unless it was a dm item or a rare campaign item that required something different. So to see that my rogue cant were cleric gloves is kinda troubling to someone that should be able to do and wear what they want to especially if they have the skills to do so..

Wheres the Vorpal swords, or the piercing, bleeding rapiers? ( stat dmg). Don't get me wrong i love this game as it is. Its a blast to play, but every one, and every thing is so limited in a universe that was originally limited by the GM. Other games where able to make that skill check or UMD use work in game DDO comes to mind. So you cant use that argument that not all of pnp things can be use in a online world.

Also the AH the filtered search and the fact that its sort by level isn't even an option needs some serious love.

So basically not to much of a rant o/ confused asking for guidance and direction post. While this game is a blast certain things really need to be looked at, and that's why i think this game would have benefited from a longer testing and development phase.
Post edited by elcan1980 on

Comments

• vatashavatasha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    D&D 4E completely redid the game. IMO it was designed to become an MMO. However pathfinder is much more like the old 3.5 D&D game which is my table top game.
  • narathkornarathkor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The only real similance this game has to PNP versions is the artwork and some of the skills. They did not take the time like DDO to make it a true translation. They wanted to make it more fun and faster moving. Its not for everyone but no game is.
    Please check out my foundry quests!
    The Sins of the Father NW-DLN6BC8NX
    A Name For Yourself NW-DRBWMCFL4
    Click Here To Visit The Official Thread
  • wifeaggro13wifeaggro13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    vatasha wrote: »
    D&D 4E completely redid the game. IMO it was designed to become an MMO. However pathfinder is much more like the old 3.5 D&D game which is my table top game.

and is a kickstarter sandbox MMO now https://goblinworks.com/
  • grape21grape21 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i wish they used dd 3.5 rules. some of the Best PC gamers ever made are the BG series. Icewind series. NWN series and Planescape ( though not sure exactly what rules taht one uses.) oh and Fallout 1 and 2 even tho thats not D&D XD.

the worst thing for me in 4th edition is literally the names of the classes... Control wizard, Great Weapon Fighter etc.. ( are you telling me paladins can use 2h weps anymore lolol?)
    Nwn 1 Aloe games.on.net : Grape ( fighter / Bard / Red Dragon Disciple ), Valeina Vul'Thairn ( Wizard) , Bayzor ( Rogue / Assassin / Shadowdancer ), Dhrak'Zog ( Fighter / Cleric / Blackguard)
  • adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    After TSR lost/sold *hostile takeover:P DnD and ADnD to lizards of the coast I refused to purchase anything from them. I am enduring quite nicely with 2ndE and the Rules Compendium from the BASIC/EXPERT/Companion/EXPERT/IMMORTAL series of basic DnD.

The good ole days of DnD are far gone and have travelled to the far green country....what is left is the AGE of DnD for DUMMIES . While trying to reinvent itself to a new population/generation of gamers they have pretty much alienated any older, like myself, gamers.
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
  • jedizalmjedizalm Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Your not wrong to be confused...poor Gygax is having seizures in the astral plane as we speak. Yes, 4.0 RUINED the D&D universe as we veterans know it. They didnt fully remove skill checks in the normal table top game, but as this is a MMO, they kinda had to bend the rules a bit to allow smoother and more interesting gameplay. They took most of 4.0, married it a bit with a few minute 3.5 rules, and streamlined it into this MMO for all those D&D cretins that dont know how the system works.

As for 4.0, yes it is boring, and it wont ever be any good again. They simplified the skill check from around 40+ skills to 13, and they gave everyone powers. Remember D&D soft level cap of 20, then you reached epic status and had to walk down the path of the prestige, where you nearly became godlike? Yeah, thats standard issue in 4.0 where the normal soft cap is 50. They also gave all these classes powers, like they are some sort of crazy superheroes who trot around like a god amongst men with a higher level of stature. No more are the days of working out a story and becoming a great adventurer, you now start as a hero.

Overall, 4.0 ruined tabletop D&D, and this is just an even more simplified and streamlined version of that. But they have to bend the rules to even more shameful levels in order to fit into standard MMO mindsets. Otherwise, is a fun game if you try to forget that its a D&D game, just like AuctionHouse Simulator is fun when you not think about the fact that its a Diablo game.
  • narathkornarathkor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Again you want 3.5 rules there is already a game for that and its almost perfect in that you even only get to cast your spells x amount of times based on the ones you prepared before setting off on your adventure/dungeon.
    Please check out my foundry quests!
    The Sins of the Father NW-DLN6BC8NX
    A Name For Yourself NW-DRBWMCFL4
    Click Here To Visit The Official Thread
  • munkienutsmunkienuts Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Having played a little 4E, and still only a little of this MMO, I would say it's an MMO with 4E features or inspirations.
    Skill checks still exist, and feats are mostly measured in a +x to this saving throw or other check. There are a few with more interesting details though.
    I think powers, having taken such a prominent role, reduced feats in that aspect.
  • onomatopoeiaiconomatopoeiaic Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Yup! Pathfinder is my Tabletop, D&D is my MMO. Things have changed.
  • adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My first observation of this game, which I never posted in the forums is that this was Diablo3....it feels so much like it that if I called it out I would be flamed for hating on the game....but it is true.
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
  • killerkonnakillerkonna Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I've been calling Pathfinder "DnD 3.75" for years now, because it's a more refined version of 3.5.
    We shall see how DnD Next turns out, but at least until that I'm sticking with Pathfinder for my DnD needs.
  • bulvynebulvyne Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Speak for yourself, Jedizahn. :)

4th edition is a lot of fun, and in my opinion superior to 3.5. I've only dabbled with Pathfinder, but being so close to 3.5, I really didn't enjoy it, either. My group has been using 4th ed since it launched, and haven't looked back, and have enjoyed the hell out of it along the way.

What the OP needs to realize is that Neverwinter is 'based on' 4th edition - and fairly loosely based on it at that. There are drastic differences, obviously, too many to list in a simple post.

Needless to say, to give 4th ed a fair shot, head to your local gaming store and find a group. I live in a pretty small town and the game store I frequent has 4th ed nights at least twice a week, where tons of players show up and play in whatever 4-hour scenario is rolling that evening. Characters are usually pre-gen, so you can show up, pop a soda, and toss some dice.

Because of all the haters or fanbois you find on the anonymous internet, the best way to find out if the system is for you or not is to -try it yourself-. For a lot of 3rd ed players, 4th ed is a curse (as you can see from other posts). But for many of us vets (I've personally been playing since 1st ed, since 1980), 4th edition is a blast. Like anything, though, since it's a social game, the group you are with makes ALL the difference, as well as having a DM who actually puts some effort into the game.
    edited May 2013
    "Again you want 3.5 rules there is already a game for that". which game is this? im still playing nwn 1 online coz its awesome. but there just isnt many ppl online ever which can get boring
    Nwn 1 Aloe games.on.net : Grape ( fighter / Bard / Red Dragon Disciple ), Valeina Vul'Thairn ( Wizard) , Bayzor ( Rogue / Assassin / Shadowdancer ), Dhrak'Zog ( Fighter / Cleric / Blackguard)
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    This game has absolutely no relation whatsoever to anything you've played before if you have any familiarity with the table top game. Especially if you're coming from 2nd Edition. I suppose the setting would be familiar, but combat was replaced with an arcade game.

I'm thinking that hardcore D&D people are going to be vastly disappointed with this version. I mean, your first main quest giver is Nick Fury eye patch and all. This was designed for the childrens children of D&D gamers.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • terencemkterencemk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7
    edited May 2013
    I was rather confused with the 4E at the beginning, but after 2 days of playing, in my opinion, i believe this has actually close the bridge for new players and old players alike. The learning curve is quite well balance i feel.
  • aisriythaisriyth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like 4E. It is only as boring as you make it. That being said the MMO did simply core concepts for ease of mmo-ness.
    edited May 2013
    "My first observation of this game, which I never posted in the forums is that this was Diablo3" rofl! exactly my brother first impression when he saw me playing. "Oh its just an online hack n slash hey?"
  • signal09signal09 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well lets be honest here; you can always go back to playing 2ed and 3.5ed. 4ED has changed things alot, but dont look at it as an old game set progressing... look at it as a new game set completely. Just look at the books and all the changes to the storyline and setting... its not just the 4ED rules that changed.
    D&D Gamer for over 15 years
  • rharsinrharsin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    THAC0!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, as a player who's played the P&P version since AD&D, I can completely understand where you're coming from. 4e is bad in a lot of older player's eyes, and it was geared to make the game faster with power cards, reduced calculations, etc. (Personally, I love 3.5 and have nearly 100 of the source books for it on my shelf. Only a dozen 4e books, however.)

That said, it's a well designed system for an MMO, however, as the game was streamlined for quick combat (power cards, etc).
  • redstorm55redstorm55 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    Thats because its not catered to the old school board players who get together every weekend to hang out with friends, play a story crafted out by your DM, level up your characters and have a serious challenge.

Now every kid on the block want their characters to have superhuman godlike x-men powers to demolish demi-gods and demons at everyturn, give their shoulders a pat, walk off and do another. And if their characters cant do that, by hell, they'll pay to be godly!

Don't forget all these multi million dollar MMOs actually hire experts that understand human psychology outside of the gaming industry to maximise profits. In the end its all about fun equating into business sense.
  • jedizalmjedizalm Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bulvyne wrote: »
    Speak for yourself, Jedizahn. :)

4th edition is a lot of fun, and in my opinion superior to 3.5. I've only dabbled with Pathfinder, but being so close to 3.5, I really didn't enjoy it, either. My group has been using 4th ed since it launched, and haven't looked back, and have enjoyed the hell out of it along the way.

Now, I will heartily disagree with you, this is a matter of opinion and I cant argue opinions, Neither 3.5 nor 4.0 are either better or worse than each other, since they are based more on opinion more or less. About your group, good that you have one, but ever since it became so much harder to find 3.5 books after 4.0, my small group of friends gathered our books and only played with as much as we could find, All the comic book stores in my area used to host three nights a week 3.5 games, but after 4.0 came out, they stopped hosting D&D games in total. Almost everyone in my area feel 4.0 is a curse, and all they do now is WW Story games and magic games. They say we have to do our own 3.5 games, they refuse to sell or host 4.0 games. All 4 stores within a 40 mile radius. And I live in Orlando.

But again, Matter of opinion on which is better. I just wish they would at least still print 3.5 books...since all the stores in my area no longer do D&D, I have to buy online, and the only thing anyone sells anymore is 4.0, which makes me sad. We only have MM 1, 2, 3, and a few players handbooks and DM guide. We dont have alot of the advanced 3.5 stuff, like Arcana book, Book of the Dragon, Advanced Players Guide, Godly Guides, Path of the Prestige...so many book I want, but they no make no more.

Sad Face.
  • sneakypriestsneakypriest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This game really isn't an example of 4th edition. Yes there are skill checks in 4th edition and the classes have the same or similar names to third and second edition. 4th edition is over anyhow nobody likes it

In my opinion Third edition is terrible. It revolves around splashing in various classes and creating hodge podge characters.
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    At this time Wizards of the Coast is only licensing 4th Edition for new electronic games. So if you want to make a new AD&D game it must be based on 4th Edition. Also note that 4th Edition is very mechanics oriented to oh computer style play with everything broken out to an amazing level of detail. All that said 4th Edition can and is fun but it plays different than Editions 1 - 3.5.

Now 4th edition uses 3 sets of basic powers for any class. AT-will, Encounter, and Daily. In the Pen and Paper game they are used well, At-will, once per encounter, and once per day. So you always have at will powers ready and if there has been any break in the action you will have all of you encounter powers ready. Daily powers won't recharge until you rest. In the pen and paper version you get a fair number of powers and can use them all. Also you can specialize your character by following pathways....

Now Neverwinter Online makes some concessions to the mechanics of the game engine they use. As much as it annoys me it is limited in the number of active powers it provides for you to control at once.

So in NWO you can get 2 active At-Will powers though as you level up to 60 you will pick up others that you can swap in and out of active out of combat.

Encounter powers become short term recharge powers and are bound to the Q, E, R, & Tab keys.

Daily powers are used once and then must recharge. The recharge mechanic is tied to the class. Control Wizard for instance recharge by doing damage.

While the structure for a pathway exists at this time they only have one per class available at this time. Reports are that Alpha actually had multiple pathways available so they are probably done but badly in need of balancing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • oliinoliin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    grape21 wrote: »
    i wish they used dd 3.5 rules. some of the Best PC gamers ever made are the BG series. Icewind series. NWN series and Planescape ( though not sure exactly what rules taht one uses.)

They actually used 2nd edition AD&D rules, not 3.5ed. I think that aside from possibly Icewind Dale, all of those games initially came out before even basic 3ed was released. To be honest I was never really a huge fan of the third editions. Partly because it kind of felt like my character was a big spreadsheet with personality traits attached and partly because of the lack of official support for Dark Sun and Planescape.
  • vatashavatasha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    IMO this game will do fine with the rule set it has. It will be a lot more easy to balance.
  • creiticreiti Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    D&D5 E is supposed to be more like 2nd though, so that could be good
  • elcan1980elcan1980 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What skill checks? If some one can point out dodge is about the only one.. As far as making it streamline 3.5 rules have been stream line in the MMO world for years and have gotten better.... Ok what about the Items though or are they gone?????
  • docholliday1911docholliday1911 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this is not D&D this is a action game SET in Forgotten Realms
  • stargeezertimstargeezertim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    While I'm enjoying the game, my fondest recollections of D&D still go back to Chainmail, Basic/Expert boxed sets, etc. I started playing back in the late 70's while still in high school. It seems all I have of those days are a Crown Royal bag full of dice and a head-full of fond memories. :cool:
    hh_banner_small_revised_zps5bc02b95.jpg

Will /danceseductive for ZEN. :cool:
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this is not D&D this is a action game SET in Forgotten Realms

That is the standard complaint about 4th Edition.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]