test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

how to beat hard bosses (IE Lair of the mad dragon)

koraneskoranes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
For this we will refer to the infamous Lair of the mad dragon. in this fight the boss has mad amounts of HP and tons of adds the add and the boss attacks hit super hard. SO how do we beat this type of encounter? well its easy we follow a few simple rules.

1) turn on your in-game voice or have everyone on a TS or vent. 1 person needs to be caller. ONLY THE CALLER IS ALLOWED TO TALK DURING THE ENCOUNTER!! the exception is the healer when he needs help. only the caller and the healer need a mic everyone else just needs ears.

2) set up any player rotations and cc assignments. THIS IS CRITICAL!! knowing who will rotate when ( if applicable ) and who will cc what.

3) Keep in range of the healer and tank at all times.

4) Kite large adds to your tank for him to taunt. Kill little adds during retreat phases or as ordered by the caller.

5) patience!!! this is a big one don't expect to 1 shot every boss. some bosses like the dragon are meant to be hard skill checks. learn from your fail and don't repeat it.

6) STAY OUT OF BAD STUFF I can't stress this enough avoid as much bad stuff as you can. a dead player does the group no good.

follow these simple rules and you can beat any encounter. Remember a easy encounter is fun to beat; but, a challenging encounter is rewarding to beat.

GOOD LUCK AND BATTLE ON FRIENDS!

7) ** by steampunky ** If your companion goes down: Get it up. It being downed doesn't help you in any way. And the DPS loss of picking up a healer or Striker pet is minimal compared to the survivability or dps gain of having another character throwing off heals/dps.
Post edited by koranes on

Comments

• steampunkysteampunky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd like to add number 7

If your companion goes down: Get it up. It being downed doesn't help you in any way. And the DPS loss of picking up a healer or Striker pet is minimal compared to the survivability or dps gain of having another character throwing off heals/dps.

-Rachel-
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
  • forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    or, you know, have even arbitrary experience with mmorpgs and youll be fine.

you dont want your tank tanking the adds. your never going to 'kite' magi anywhere. just set 2 of your dps on peel/ ADD killing duty and have the tank on the boss at all times. in the brief times there are no adds unload on the boss

self explanatory its an easy fight
  • koraneskoranes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the given fight was an example but the rules are for any fight.
  • lucidp2klucidp2k Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm betting you're the type that screams at an ungodly high pitch when people don't do exactly as you expect them to do in online games... aren't you.
    gwhEUci.png
    Spend less time complaining about shop prices and more time improving your salary.
  • bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Reading posts like this make me not want to do dungeons. Who screams "Minus 50 DPK!!! Minus 50 %@#&* DKP!!!"?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    bcvapor wrote: »
    Reading posts like this make me not want to do dungeons. Who screams "Minus 50 DPK!!! Minus 50 %@#&* DKP!!!"?
    A bad leader screams. being a caller or raid leader is about communication with your members not about screaming at them like a 2 year-old. ... yeah I think that sentence answers that IMO.
  • lucidp2klucidp2k Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Hence why I rarely do dungeons/raids. People of this nature make games seem like a job... and the 8 hours a day I spend in my office are quite enough to have to come home to deal with armchair warriors in an online game holding some delusion of grandeur about their "31337 raiding skillz lulz newbz".
    gwhEUci.png
    Spend less time complaining about shop prices and more time improving your salary.
    edited May 2013

Hence why I rarely do dungeons/raids. People of this nature make games seem like a job... and the 8 hours a day I spend in my office are quite enough to have to come home to deal with armchair warriors in an online game holding some delusion of grandeur about their "31337 raiding skillz lulz newbz".
    gwhEUci.png
  • bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I didn't mean to be overly sarcastic there, more tongue-in-cheek. I get your intent koranes, it's my bad anyway for not being in a guild I suppose.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Screamers make plays get worse. its one thing to stress a point its another to go all out 2 year-old on your team. it solves nothing. it you have a member(s) that are failing on something a screamer wont make them get better a calm leader that explanes what they are doing wrong and how to correct it will help. 5 man or raid its all the same. players log on to have fun and enjoy the game not get screamed at cause they made a goof.

sadly many have forgotten or just don't know these basic rules because the atypical mmo is a smash face on target get lootz kind of system, where games like this that take strategy and skill are a rare breed today.
    edited May 2013
    I didn't mean to be overly sarcastic there, more tongue-in-cheek. I get your intent koranes, it's my bad anyway for not being in a guild I suppose.
    guild or no no one deserves to get screamed at for goofing. if it happened to you report the player for inappropriate comments. bout the most you can do. I just hope this post will live on and educate players coming into the game so as to prevent the "wow-screamer" effect
  • fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How to beat any Boss in any MMO . . . adapt, communicate, have fun . . . and remember it's a game and HAVE FUN!!!

In addition to that, the OP nailed it right on. I'm actually not joking here. If you remember it is a game and have fun while planning and doing your strategy and working with your team, your stress level goes down. I have found that lower stress levels REALLY help clear the mind and actually help with strategy and mind focus. :)
    edited May 2013
    I just like to go in and try my best and have fun, roll need only when appropriate. My heart always drops a little when I start receiving my orders and rotations when I zone in, heh. Your OP is sound advice, though I haven't much dungeon experience at all in this game. Do they become stressful later on?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bismar7bismar7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Honestly I had issues (im a DC) with the dragon the first two groups, one group decided to just focus the boss... that doesn't work. After 4 wipes and being called a "bad" healer the group fell apart (was put together with Groupfinder, just randoms). Second group (also groupfinder) was 2 clerics, a rogue, a CW, and a tank. The tank stood in one place the whole fight and just aggroed boss, Rogue helped with big adds and then boss. Imps ate the two of us alive. After 4 wipes one person left, rest followed.

I said screw that daily, I'll wait until I have a guild group before attempting that again...

Then someone asked in Zone chat for a cleric, they needed a good healer and had the rest of the group. I got into this group with a good tank, and dps who understood that if there is an add up you kill it instead of the boss, period.

We one shot it.

These bosses don't require life scrolls, they dont require people using mics They don't require dps bringing adds to the tank (Although that can help.)

It requires two things, Good play and smart people. If you think about the fight then what to do is obvious... Of course if you are bad then please support the game and buy more life scrolls, after a few deaths you will have downed the boss and supported this game ^_^
    26.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Most fight seem to be the "focus boss until adds, kill adds while tank holds boss' attention, repeat".

Generally.

Edit: Oh right, and stay out of the red stuff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    @Bismar7 There will be some groups that simply can't down an encounter for what ever reason. 99.9% of the time its cause they didn't obey the mechanics of the fight. some groups you can get them to correct this others its a lost cause. remember not all players are willing to learn from there own mistakes, rather they blame others for a fail that was there own doing.

" was the fool who drowned where the wise man dare not row "
  • sanszasansza Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Exactly. You don't need a people on a mic for these encounters, just people who know how to play their class and have a little situation awareness. Granted, finding this (even as a guild lifer) can be pretty rare, but just friend people you group with who know their class and keep them in mind when doing dungeons. Voice chat is good if you, or are grouped with people who need to be told what to do, or who aren't paying attention to the encounter.
  • joeldgnjoeldgn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    bismar7 wrote: »
    ...snip...

I said screw that daily, I'll wait until I have a guild group before attempting that again...

Then someone asked in Zone chat for a cleric, they needed a good healer and had the rest of the group. I got into this group with a good tank, and dps who understood that if there is an add up you kill it instead of the boss, period.

We one shot it.

These bosses don't require life scrolls, they dont require people using mics They don't require dps bringing adds to the tank (Although that can help.)

It requires two things, Good play and smart people. If you think about the fight then what to do is obvious... Of course if you are bad then please support the game and buy more life scrolls, after a few deaths you will have downed the boss and supported this game ^_^

Moral is, kill the adds, everyone trying to be damage meter toppers and leaving the healer to kite everything.. I got so sick of this I just do Defense, the top feats and off-tank while throwing some seals around.
  • thunderspankerthunderspanker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 713 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If you have a person on a mic, being the caller, and they are relaxed, and doing it rather pleasantly, but all business during the enounter, you are going to have the best experience possible. If your caller is yelling and freaking out, get a new one, cuz i will just mute that. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Himmelville - Are you easily frightened?
    Click Here

On one side of the mountain, there were bones...
    edited May 2013
    If you have a person on a mic, being the caller, and they are relaxed, and doing it rather pleasantly, but all business during the enounter, you are going to have the best experience possible. If your caller is yelling and freaking out, get a new one, cuz i will just mute that. lol

I like the groups where we're all like, why do we need a caller?
    edited May 2013
    sansza wrote: »
    I like the groups where we're all like, why do we need a caller?
    when you get a group that has the skill and situational awareness to do that it is very fun; however, if even 1 person doesn't it can be hard.
  • riepahriepah Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have all voice chat turned off and will leave it at that. It always annoyed me greatly when people insisted that I join their teamspeak/vent or whatever in other games and I sure hope it won't grow popular here to use it.
    edited May 2013
    riepah wrote: »
    I have all voice chat turned off and will leave it at that. It always annoyed me greatly when people insisted that I join their teamspeak/vent or whatever in other games and I sure hope it won't grow popular here to use it.

to each there own; however, you are refusing to use a very helpful tool for no clear logical reason.
    edited May 2013
    koranes wrote: »
    to each there own; however, you are refusing to use a very helpful tool for no clear logical reason.

It's not that useful to be honest. Also I can think of several logical reasons to not use it. First off, a good solid group doesn't need it. If you're in a PUG where you may actually benefit, chances are you'll find the whole process of getting the entire group into voice a pain, and then you have to deal with people with no voice com etiquette. Personally, I just prefer to listen to my music and group with people who know how to play. Voice com has never been an issue.
  • kharnagexkharnagex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 211 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    tactic would work in theory if Taunt was ****ing broken still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    koranes wrote: »
    when you get a group that has the skill and situational awareness to do that it is very fun; however, if even 1 person doesn't it can be hard.

True. It's odd, though, actually. Every time I have been in a guild or group that coordinates on Teamspeak and/or in chat and goes in like it is a mission, we end up getting wiped and getting stressed. Then i end up in the group where we are on Teamspeak making vulgar jokes at each other and laughing so hard we can barely breathe and we end up killing the boss before we even know what just happened. :) THOSE are the awesome groups.
    edited May 2013
    sansza wrote: »
    It's not that useful to be honest. Also I can think of several logical reasons to not use it. First off, a good solid group doesn't need it. If you're in a PUG where you may actually benefit, chances are you'll find the whole process of getting the entire group into voice a pain, and then you have to deal with people with no voice com etiquette. Personally, I just prefer to listen to my music and group with people who know how to play. Voice com has never been an issue.

Like any tool it is only as usfull as the human on the other end. even a good group can make use of VC. remember VC is a tool that is equal to the quality of the human using it. so as said, to each there own, but there is always two sides to a coin.
  • kharnagexkharnagex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 211 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    well until they fix a few things i'm not going to attempt this dungeon for a while, since i out lvled it anyways and since fighter taunt is still broken it will be a while. prolly won't pug it either lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    True. It's odd, though, actually. Every time I have been in a guild or group that coordinates on Teamspeak and/or in chat and goes in like it is a mission, we end up getting wiped and getting stressed. Then i end up in the group where we are on Teamspeak making vulgar jokes at each other and laughing so hard we can barely breathe and we end up killing the boss before we even know what just happened. :) THOSE are the awesome groups.

I agree, coordinateing a fight is important but remembering to have a good laugh is just as important. raid moral is half the fight.
  • gomok72gomok72 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Lol, I agree, it's bad enough we have to worry about gear score on knightmare modes. Man now I got to change the way I play PnP to. Can't run a dungeon until I inspect your gear!
    I may not be considered by most the BEST PVP Warlock on the server but, I am the most HATED amongst them.

-Kymos