test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Suggestion for loot system.

Comments

• Options
    sandanglotkasandanglotka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Quite simple. All pass or greed on all items. Need only available to a class that can use the item.
    Soldiers live. And wonder why.
  • Options
    drakethdraketh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ozarka75 wrote: »
    how about a concession. need for class specific gets priority 1 and a need for companion button (only for currently summoned companion) that is greyed out if you dont have that class of companion and it gets priority 2 then greed is priority 3 and pass is 4.

i think thats fair if i made sense

edit: also i think companion specific gear would be the best way but would prob be hard to implement at this point

See here is yet another problem. Companion roll buttons (yes I even mentioned it) sound great in theory and on paper, however in reality would be an unused button unless done right, and I have no clue what the right way is lol. People will hit need if they can for companions or greed if they can't, whatever they think will grant the better chance. Although it would be a HIGHLY unpopular change for a few days to make companions use their own specific gear people would (after complaining) begin to find the new gear and re-outfit their companions making it hopefully smooth sailing for the future.
  • Options
    skinstonskinston Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    draketh wrote: »
    You may want to tweak the loot system so if an item is class specific and that class needs on it they will 100% win the roll. Yes this idea is one that can be misused however very little is more annoying than getting to the end of a dungeon and have someone roll need on the gear for your class (gear they obviously can't even use) and then offer to sell it to you.

kill them, then you'll feel better as you loot it off there still warm corpse
  • Options
    ozarka75ozarka75 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lord2800 wrote: »
    That option, while better, doesn't address the issue of an item being a clear downgrade for the player, while being a clear upgrade for the companion. The whole notion of restrictions by usability is flawed in its' core--better to simply ignore it and use the only truly fair system: random chance.

imo ninja free community > companion gear looting and character looting > companion looting.

random chance is fine in a perfect world (pun intended) but we play with <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> who will need on everything and make the game much less enjoyable. not being able to need roll on your companion's gear is a necessary sacrifice imo.
  • Options
    sacred1337sacred1337 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Let me continue playing devil's advocate here and then pose this question to you: Let's assume a similar situation, except the Icon is a clear downgrade for the cleric. Should he still have the ability to roll need and screw my companion out of a clear upgrade?
    This is a minor sacrifice compared to someone who spent hours trying to get a nice item and fails to do so because someone who couldn't use it rolled a need. As I said before companions have very little impact on the game compared to real players.

Yes. They worked equally hard to accomplish the goal, therefore they should have a chance to get the reward.
    You're in the minority here. Many would not be happy if their item gets taken away by someone who cannot even use it.
  • Options
    ozarka75ozarka75 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That option, while better, doesn't address the issue of an item being a clear downgrade for the player, while being a clear upgrade for the companion. The whole notion of restrictions by usability is flawed in its' core--better to simply ignore it and use the only truly fair system: random chance.

imo ninja free community > companion gear looting and character looting > companion looting.

random chance is fine in a perfect world (pun intended) but we play with <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> who will need on everything and make the game much less enjoyable. not being able to need roll on your companion's gear is a necessary sacrifice imo.
  • Options
    skinstonskinston Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Quite simple. All pass or greed on all items. Need only available to a class that can use the item.

I replayed a dungeon that only dropped and item for my class (being the only one of that class both playthroughs) I passed the second time around. yes the several silver would have been nice in a win roll for greed. but I got my NEED roll the first time and on second plaything had 3 other class specific winning rolls. its a matter of not being an ***, as clearly stated by the author. false "Need" then offer to sell it back? sounds like an *** hat.
  • Options
    sk8erboy9sk8erboy9 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    +1, classes that cannot use the item should not be able to 'need' roll.
  • Options
    denziyadenziya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013

In a Perfect World (little pun there) we would all get the gear we need or want and wouldn't have to fight over it. Guild Wars 2 dealt with this best. Everyone gets something they can use, no fighting over any resources and all is well with the realm. :D
  • Options
    sacred1337sacred1337 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013

+1
  • Options
    lord2800lord2800 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sacred1337 wrote: »
    This is a minor sacrifice compared to someone who spent hours trying to get a nice item and fails to do so because someone who couldn't use it rolled a need. As I said before companions have very little impact on the game compared to real players.

How about the people who spend countless hours running the same dungeon repeatedly, only to see the other classes' gear drop all the time? They're getting nothing under the need-only-for-your-class system.
    sacred1337 wrote: »
    You're in the minority here. Many would not be happy if their item gets taken away by someone who cannot even use it.

Just as I am unhappy that someone can take an item away from "me" (via my companion) being able to use it. Frankly, people need to stop thinking they are entitled to anything. Until that item hits your inventory, it's not your item.
  • Options
    skylia120410skylia120410 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I like the class specific options I.E. gray out need if person can't use.

But to the arguments well everyone should have chance they do have chance to roll on other things like accessories etc. which should actually be greed or pass since they don't seem to have classes labeled on them.

I.E your party has no GWF then everyone can greed and have equal shot at winning
    The only issue I see would be you have 2 rogues both roll need but it isn't an upgrade for one of them that's where it gets fishy but still fair and sometimes you do run into those people that say "Hey I have that piece do u need i'll pass" if both rogues don't need item the should still be only ones allowed to roll on it because hey they are the rogues
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character handle:@skylia120410
    (www.gwfnw.weebly.com)
    GWF GUIDE SITE: Still being worked on not 60 yet
    Divine Misfits (one of the Guild Leaders)(Guild Site Manager)
    www.divinemisfits.guildlaunch.com
  • Options
    sycoinc87sycoinc87 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    but if 2 of the same class want it work as normal or only show that gear to the classes who can use it and as another poster stated grey it out to the other people
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    denziya wrote: »
    In a Perfect World (little pun there)

beat you to it! see above :D
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    skinston wrote: »
    I replayed a dungeon that only dropped and item for my class (being the only one of that class both playthroughs) I passed the second time around. yes the several silver would have been nice in a win roll for greed. but I got my NEED roll the first time and on second plaything had 3 other class specific winning rolls. its a matter of not being an ***, as clearly stated by the author. false "Need" then offer to sell it back? sounds like an *** hat.

LOL yes agreed! I think we made a comment that sounded something like that at the time! :D
  • Options
    dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This loot system does seem really odd. It doesn't really make sense to use the Need, Greed system. Basically you are rolling need on anything your class can use even though you have no idea many times, because the item is unidentified, if it is an upgrade. Similarly there is no reason for the need option to ever appear on items that you can't use, and the fact that it does causes trouble. Would have been better off using a system of private loot for each player ala Diablo III imo.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    beat you to it! see above :D

LOL I saw that. <giggles> great minds think alike.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    denziya wrote: »
    LOL I saw that. <giggles> great minds think alike.

agreed :)
    10chrs
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Almost makes me miss the olden days of MMO's lol. Someone ninja loots, the incident is mentioned about it across the server, after a few times of this they can't get into groups very often anymore. No name changes, no server swaps, no cross server grouping. You had to work hard to redeem your name.
    Make sure you notice I said ALMOST =p
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Almost makes me miss the olden days of MMO's lol. Someone ninja loots, the incident is mentioned about it across the server, after a few times of this they can't get into groups very often anymore. No name changes, no server swaps, no cross server grouping. You had to work hard to redeem your name.
    Make sure you notice I said ALMOST =p

Makes me miss the days of tabletop gaming (*cough*). There weren't discussions about who gets what loot, because the DM *gave* it to you directly.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Makes me miss the days of tabletop gaming (*cough*). There weren't discussions about who gets what loot, because the DM *gave* it to you directly.

ahhh sigh.... those were the days lol
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Too-shay.. or how ever that's spelled. I would miss those days but computer games spoiled me with graphics and now my imagination is dysfunctional.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Too-shay.. or how ever that's spelled. I would miss those days but computer games spoiled me with graphics and now my imagination is dysfunctional.

Actually, this has given me an idea. Get rid of the concept of need/greed/pass entirely and just have the server dictate the items you get (or don't get).

(For the record, it's touche, and since apparently vBulletin isn't unicode aware, the e is supposed to be accented which you can do via alt+0233)
  • Options
    edited May 2013

+1 .. I think that's really the summary of it all and the best solution. May not be great for dealing with companion gear but that's a minor sacrifice I think allot of us would be fine with, especially since they really only use a few items.
  • Options
    ulfric007ulfric007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    QQ. It will never happen. They have every right to the gear as you, and if they want it to put on the AH, to sell, or even give to an alt so be it. Group up with people you trust and you will not have that problem.
  • Options
    chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    I think the current loot system is fine.. it's tried and true system and there's an option to set looting rules (NBG, master loot, FFA) before hand. People just needs not to be greedy and hog everything.
  • Options
    sanszasansza Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I doubt we'll see a feature where "need" is greyed out if you don't can't use it. Plus you get those people (some in this thread and it happened often in SWTOR) where people feel unjustifiably justified in needing so they can equip their companion out. Probably better to make companion gear something you can't loot, and also just kick people from your group who need on thing they can't use. Oh and have the queue system replace them (in case it doesn't).
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    sansza wrote: »
    I doubt we'll see a feature where "need" is greyed out if you don't can't use it. Plus you get those people (some in this thread and it happened often in SWTOR) where people feel unjustifiably justified in needing so they can equip their companion out. Probably better to make companion gear something you can't loot, and also just kick people from your group who need on thing they can't use. Oh and have the queue system replace them (in case it doesn't).

Hopefully they could at least implement the system GW2 and a few others use which is everyone gets their own loot. They Currently use that for the Many-Arrows token's you get off of the orcs, I see mine and you see your's. That way everyone gets something and it really is just chance on what you get.
  • Options
    kalizaarkalizaar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My favorite loot system is random individual loot for everyone. Everyone gets some loot, nobody will be tempted to be a jerk, and nobody will feel like they've been wronged. That way everyone has the same chance to get good loot (or vendor trash).

What's the point of having a need/greed system when you can have individual loot? They're both based on random chance. Just one lacks grief.
  • Options
    saintxiisaintxii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    I have not encountered people needing on things they don't need.... only time its confusing is during enchantments. Some people due need and some do greed for enchants.

If all drops are class specific it be dumb when everyone doesn't need something and boss keeps dropping rogue gear. So only the rogue gets to win the loot? system is fine as is.