test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Difference between Cat and Ioun Stone?

slaadarslaadar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
I know that cat gives you crit and recovery but I heard it was 200 at max rank?

Also does the cat give you FULL stat bonuses from the runestones/items that you put on it?

Ioun stone of Might is so vague can someone tell me the stats for it at max rank or what rank they have it on now and whether it provides full bonuses?

P.S. Which one do you guys think is better in general?

EDIT: Also if you have high charisma, does it also boost the ioun stone/cat's base stats AND the items/runestones you put on it? or just the base?

Thanks for the posts but so if cat gives a crit/recovery bonus doesn't the ioun stone also give some sort of passive bonus?
Post edited by slaadar on

Comments

• Options
    supjeremiahsupjeremiah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 569 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The stone looks way cooler. Too bad its 1k bars.
    Envy - 60 Guardian Fighter - Mindflayer

Wrath - 60 Great Weapon Fighter - Mindflayer

Envy's Guardian Fighter DPS Conqueror Guide

Youtube Channel

http://www.twitch.tv/supjeremiah
  • Options
    derresshderressh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would also like to know this, if anyone has done a bit of experimenting with either one.
  • Options
    deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Cat has 2 offensive rune slots and 1 defensive, stone has 3 offensive. Can't remember the armor slots off the top of my head but I think it was something like 2 rings and a neck/waist for the stone, neck/ring/waist for the cat. Cat also gives you a small bonus to crit and recovery as a buff. And yes, both pets give full bonuses for all the equipment/runes you put on them.
  • Options
    slaadarslaadar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thanks and bump for more detailed info
  • Options
    shytbyrdshytbyrd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    I added an Eldritch runestone to my cat to get 6% more stats from it and I didn't notice a difference. My crit percent actually dropped, until i re-summoned him. Does anyone know if this is working? Also does that mean Charisma bonus isn't working for the cat either? Sorry to hijack the thread, this is pertinent to these pets.
  • Options
    aveanavean Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    -Both pets give you full stats of the pet to yourself
    -Ioun Stone(blue removed), had default stats in power, crit, and recovery.
    -Cat has default stats in Crit and recovery(lvl 25 cat has a base of 235 of each).
    -Green Ioun Stone ~~ I assume to be a lower teir of the blue one(max level of 20 weakens it)
    -in Endgame gear the %stats from a defensive Eldrich will grant more overall stats than a equal teir offensive rune
    making the cat have slightly more stats overall, however spread between all stats on the gear you happen to have.
    you can gain over 100% of the stats of the pet.
    -Ioun Stones look better
  • Options
    kalwrathkalwrath Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Anyone know if the Green Ioun Stone is the only one in-game currently? I recall a blue ioun stone in the closed beta.
  • Options
    supjeremiahsupjeremiah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 569 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    avean wrote: »
    -Both pets give you full stats of the pet to yourself
    -Ioun Stone(blue removed), had default stats in power, crit, and recovery.
    -Cat has default stats in Crit and recovery(lvl 25 cat has a base of 235 of each).
    -Green Ioun Stone ~~ I assume to be a lower teir of the blue one(max level of 20 weakens it)
    -in Endgame gear the %stats from a defensive Eldrich will grant more overall stats than a equal teir offensive rune
    making the cat have slightly more stats overall, however spread between all stats on the gear you happen to have.
    you can gain over 100% of the stats of the pet.
    -Ioun Stones look better

Also, another thing to point out. The cat can die.

Youtube Channel

• Options
    jkaplan92jkaplan92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    What makes the Iouen stone better? It has less levels and doesn't it give less base stats? I really wish we had concrete info here.
  • Options
    unspecifiederrorunspecifiederror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Also, another thing to point out. The cat can die.

I don't think I've ever seen it die and I've been using it for a long time.
  • Options
    deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Never seen it die in the last 100+ dungeons I've done, tbh.
  • Options
    themangroththemangroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    yeah, kitty isn't targetable, or susceptible to AoE. He just stays like 5-10 feet behind you at all times.

Kitty wins because of adoreableness! :D
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I've had it die doing epic throne of idris on the boss when we had like 50 adds. I assumed it was AoE? It definitely died, though.

Youtube Channel

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Can someone tell me though if the ioun stone of might give any passive stat bonuses? Otherwise I'm going to get the cat.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    My guild mate has it. I'll ask him once servers come back up.

Youtube Channel

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Thanks Supjeremiah, I appreciate this, because I'm stuck between getting the cool stone or the cute kitty, (trying to maximize effectiveness doing dungeons.)

Also does anyone know if having either of these increases your gear score?
  • Options
    xromkaxromka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Have same question.

Can't decide which is better to use for GF.
    Now me use cleric companion, but dont sure if its best choose or try cat/stone.
  • Options
    xadfrostxadfrost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd sure like to get some clarity regarding these passive companions. I'd love to have either a cat or an Ioun stone, but it seems the cat is better for a cleric?
  • Options
    xromkaxromka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    slaadar wrote: »
    Can someone tell me though if the ioun stone of might give any passive stat bonuses? Otherwise I'm going to get the cat.
    Noone know answer? :)
  • Options
    oghieroghier Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    xadfrost wrote: »
    I'd sure like to get some clarity regarding these passive companions. I'd love to have either a cat or an Ioun stone, but it seems the cat is better for a cleric?

The cat gives Recovery and Crit, which are generally seen as the two most important stats for popular cleric builds. That said, the game is new, there are no detailed combat parsers in widespread use and the theorycraft is not well developed. Both class abilities and our understanding of how they work together are likely to change quite a bit.

So, if you like rocks better than kittens, go for it. It's probably a coin flip as to which will be better six months from now. I know I am happy with my galeb duhr for solo work and the cat for dungeon groups, but I have no math to defend me.
    - Snit (Cleric, Dragon Server)
  • Options
    robman1978robman1978 Member Posts: 125 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I could have sworn my cat died a few times. Anyone else had this happen?
  • Options
    someoneodsomeoneod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    robman1978 wrote: »
    I could have sworn my cat died a few times. Anyone else had this happen?

It died once for me when I had it at very low levels inside an epic dungeon.

As to stats, i would assume that the spread would be lower in general from the stone, since it has 3 stats, as opposed to the cat's 2. Personally I just loaded the cat with recovery gems and use it asa recovery bot, I get something like 700 recovery from the thing, it's pretty amazing.
  • Options
    shytbyrdshytbyrd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    I noticed HP gear does not translate to you.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I see, what the ioun stone give in terms of the passive bonuses?
  • Options
    forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ion stone gives a little of everywithing with mostly power, then defense, then arpen, then deflect and regen. a level 12 stone is giving me 340 power 157 efense 131 arpen and some regen and deflect. it is very powerful

contrary to popular belief cat and acolyte can die like any other companion. they just dont die as easily because they inherently pull no aggro.

Ioun stone is the only one that is untargetable and cannot die. It takes the form of a tiny little thing whirling around your head

best companion for end game for GWFs rogues and wizz imo. worth the trade bars
  • Options
    kidbskidbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 294
    edited May 2013
    ion stone gives a little of everywithing with mostly power, then defense, then arpen, then deflect and regen. a level 12 stone is giving me 340 power 157 efense 131 arpen and some regen and deflect. it is very powerful

contrary to popular belief cat and acolyte can die like any other companion. they just dont die as easily because they inherently pull no aggro.

Ioun stone is the only one that is untargetable and cannot die. It takes the form of a tiny little thing whirling around your head

How do you get the bars? Are they only in the chests?
  • Options
    moriant42moriant42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ioun Stone of Might

Passively has Power, Armor Pen, Recovery, Deflect
    (at Rank 20, each of the four stats has 89-90 before any runes or gear equipped)
    (another other stat bonuses can come from the gear and slotted runes)

3 Offensive Rune Slots
    Ring Slot, Belt Slot (at 15), another Ring (at 25)
  • Options
    edited May 2013

what you think about Guardian Fighter? Its best companion for high end?
  • Options
    cakuucakuu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, the cat can die. While going through a rather cleverly designed foundry dungeon, the cat got caught on some geometry and died from a fall (or more specifically, it got stuck and fell through the world repeatedly until it died, which took a while). This only happened once ever, but it can happen.

The cat will also trigger traps and get damaged that way, but I never noticed it get injured from enemy attacks-- even AOEs.
  • Options
    robman1978robman1978 Member Posts: 125 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    cakuu wrote: »
    Yeah, the cat can die. While going through a rather cleverly designed foundry dungeon, the cat got caught on some geometry and died from a fall (or more specifically, it got stuck and fell through the world repeatedly until it died, which took a while). This only happened once ever, but it can happen.

The cat will also trigger traps and get damaged that way, but I never noticed it get injured from enemy attacks-- even AOEs.

Aah. That makes sense.