test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GWF's Role?

2»

Comments

• ragnarok1011ragnarok1011 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Been playing a GWF since the beginning of open beta and the base way to look at it was posted earlier in thread. We specialize until about 35 at wiping out hordes of weak adds very fast. In every dungeon and skirmish I play in I finish behind the rogues in dps, which is not surprising, but I lead kills by 50 almost every time. We are the aoe dps. Our single target damage is very weak until we get Flourish at 30. Master Strike at 35 then becomes our at will aoe at a 280 degree arc with BIG damage. Then we start coming into our own as we can deal out good dam on single and multi targets. Focusing on high power then def then crit helps.

Here is a post of a good GWF build.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?159741-Kartofflens-GWF-destroyer-compendium
  • shepherdofmanshepherdofman Member Posts: 169 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Comic Relief?
    ~They are Lions, and I am their Shepherd~
  • caiotamiettibrcaiotamiettibr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with u !! Gm fix that **** !!!!!!!
  • saviorgunsaviorgun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is a link to a Epic Cloak Tower video of me from a couple days ago. http://www.twitch.tv/saviorms/b/397955686 . I end up leading damage by a considerable amount. PM me for spec/info
    Rhek-60 GWF <Folklore>. "Rheking" damage meters since launch. Follow my streamwww.mmominds.com
  • andarzandarz Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    taemekeg wrote: »
    People need to learn that GWF is not a striker class directly, not a tank class directly or a control directly.

It dabbles in all of it while being great at none, jack of all trades.

GWF's dps is still not bad for the other utility based skills they get.

I believe it goes like this:

Survivability

Guardian Fighter > Great Weapon Fighter > Devoted Cleric > Trickster Rogue > Control Wizard

Damage
    Trickster Rouge > Control Wizard > Great Weapon Fighter > Devoted Cleric > Guardian Fighter

Control
    Control Wizard > Trickster Rouge > Great Weapon Fighter > Guardian Fighter > Devoted Cleric

Now this is according to the 4E rule set which the game is based off and if I have anything wrong according to that ruleset, please correct me.

in other words the gwf is neutral in all the aspects. but one just need to focus in aoe y dps feats and you will be able to kill mass mobs.
    i think.
  • fattypatty1fattypatty1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    From what I understand, GWF is the jack of all trades, master of none. They can off-tank large adds on fights if the GF is busy, and can aoe down adds that are on the cleric. Sure they dont pull record numbers on bosses, but without you, those adds don't die and your group will get over-whelmed.

The thing about GWF that seems silly to me was the lack of single target dps. I know I just said you wont be pulling amazing numbers, but it should at least be on par with a wizard. In pvp, for example; wizards and rogues are amazing here. The control and burst are insane, and your team loves you. Then theres the GWF. He cleaves and cleaves, but nothing dies. He swings and swings but nothing takes damage. Give Gwf more single target (while keeping them below rogues, for balance sake) and they will be a pretty good spot.
  • marc54marc54 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 69
    edited May 2013
    From what I understand, GWF is the jack of all trades, master of none. They can off-tank large adds on fights if the GF is busy, and can aoe down adds that are on the cleric. Sure they dont pull record numbers on bosses, but without you, those adds don't die and your group will get over-whelmed.

The thing about GWF that seems silly to me was the lack of single target dps. I know I just said you wont be pulling amazing numbers, but it should at least be on par with a wizard. In pvp, for example; wizards and rogues are amazing here. The control and burst are insane, and your team loves you. Then theres the GWF. He cleaves and cleaves, but nothing dies. He swings and swings but nothing takes damage. Give Gwf more single target (while keeping them below rogues, for balance sake) and they will be a pretty good spot.

+1

Single target really needs to improve , we can become immune to CC and get to a wizzard.. but once at him.. we must be able to dispatch him.. otherwise whats the point? Its a very sad feeling having a CW face tanking you as a GWF and as it is.. they can.. now thats blatantly broken.
  • dantethewarriordantethewarrior Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So can someone give me tips on what to do? I'm level 9 and having to spam so many pots per dungeon it's pathetic. With rogue it takes about 7 seconds to kill one of them big gaurds or hexer, with GWF it's like 1 hour suicide difficulty fight.

Also when I get a different sword, will it look better on my back? because the one I have no just goes through my body, looks <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. PWE obviously didn't use any braincells when creating this class...
  • skylia120410skylia120410 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I am actually looking forward to this class I have a cleric I am playing alongside my husband's rogue but I have been dabbling back and forth between CW and GWF. I like all the negative talk about GWF and that makes me even more determined to level one and pull out all the stops as I learn the game to shut people up I like doing that.....someone once told me when I played rift that I couldn't do Ember Isle in 51 Archon Spec so I did 51 Archon/15 Chorlomancer had blast doing it too. Thanks for the guides that were posted on this thread.....I plan on building my own guide website which I do a lot and the advice helps me out when deciding what works for me and my playstyle I usually play a healer and then some sort of range class and I don't want to do that in this game I want to play a melee non tank/ non rogue so GWF FTW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character handle:@skylia120410
    (www.gwfnw.weebly.com)
    GWF GUIDE SITE: Still being worked on not 60 yet
    Divine Misfits (one of the Guild Leaders)(Guild Site Manager)
    www.divinemisfits.guildlaunch.com
  • spardan007spardan007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hello everyone I'm a GWF lvl 60. Did a few epic dungeaon I agree the dps isnt that high especially vs mage and rogue because of all the AoE of mages and burst of the rogues but, I'm pretty sure other paragon path will be better dungeaon wise/.Althought in pvp it's where I really shine. I can make pretty much any type of games whatever I choose.I can hold point very long especially with my healer friend and with anti CC I rarely die.Still need to work on different specs but so far I win 98% of the pvp games lvl 60.If any GWF needs some advise you can always whisper me in game. Server Minflayer name : Khaal :cool:
  • zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Comic Relief?

Haha, they should make all GWF a Halfling mandatory race then... or better yet Gnomes
  • ccoulterccoulter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    terhix wrote: »
    That is factually incorrect, can you stop trolling?

A one sentence post saying another post is wrong?
    That doesn't add much to the conversation.

Please explain the viability of the other builds or the lack on the Destroyer or don't bother posting.

Seriously, I'd like an overview.
  • djleberdjleber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There role is to hit like a wet noodle and drink 40 potions per dungeon just to survive. Also ignore anyone who says 'They get better at higher level'.

They are still bad at high level.

Someone sounds mad. they mean in comparison to other classes, not just in general. your stupidity is hilarious.
  • epixcomixepixcomix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am actually looking forward to this class I have a cleric I am playing alongside my husband's rogue but I have been dabbling back and forth between CW and GWF. I like all the negative talk about GWF and that makes me even more determined to level one and pull out all the stops as I learn the game to shut people up I like doing that.....someone once told me when I played rift that I couldn't do Ember Isle in 51 Archon Spec so I did 51 Archon/15 Chorlomancer had blast doing it too. Thanks for the guides that were posted on this thread.....I plan on building my own guide website which I do a lot and the advice helps me out when deciding what works for me and my playstyle I usually play a healer and then some sort of range class and I don't want to do that in this game I want to play a melee non tank/ non rogue so GWF FTW

It's not that a GWF cannot level up to 60 or do dungeons etc, it's that for at least the first 30-40 levels, you will basically be worse at every role (except for perhaps hitting the most number of targets possible for sustained hits) than every other class. Also realize that hitting all those targets doesn't mean you are going to end up with the most damage at the end of a run either.

I personally haven't explored every skill path possible in the game, nor have I hit 60 yet. I won't comment on them since I don't have any experience with it. That said however, prior to level 30, gear and level being equal, the GWF does not shine when compared to the other classes. If you have fun with the play style, then keep with it like I am, just understand that you're going to be on the bottom of the charts in most every group outing until you get up there.

All that aside, one thing I will say, GWF shows its true weakness in sub 30 pvp. It's really pretty sad that every class is pretty much stronger than you in this area at those levels. Skill does matter, but the inherent weakness in the class is really quite large. It will make leveling up via pvp a painful experience unless you have good team members.
  • radikir1radikir1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GWF suck right now , im lvl 26 and its so hard in pvp and dungeons always the other class is bette
  • niblnibl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well by now probably everyone know that GWF scales extremely well for endgame (so stop posting these "look how well he is doing in LV 60 content videos").
    The problem is still his paper armor + wet noodle damage in early game (I almost feel like I am equipped with leek, not with great sword). Cryptic really need to work on GWF early levels scaling (and not ).

For now Tip for "painful low level content": get TR, or CW (or anything other) to level 16 or 2 gold -> get Cleric companion -> send it in mail at "@&lt;insert your handle>" -> Get it with your GWF -> PROFIT
  • ramgvramgv Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dude, I rlly cant understand u... Im lvl 28 GWF, readed all the bad rep the GWF has before playing the game... and I didnt care. And FFS is a walk in the park... with a Cleric companion is so easy, I played dont know like 10...or 12 hours and Im alrdy 28.

I do admit some skill are worthless like the one with life lich early on, but by no means the GWF "SUCKS"... if all the ppl says GWF shine in 40... better for me cause I still dindt have any problem.

so GWF dont have the top DPS, so what ? Its a Role Playing Game, play the char u want, choose it because u like the gameplay no because is not the most OP.
  • bazyl40bazyl40 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I play GWF (21lvl atm). Class is realy fun to play, but i can feel that there are some issues with it. I read about realy bug nerf some time ago where GWF lost around 30% of their dps. I like that i can swing my sword around (why not axe???) and tickle 6 mobs while other classes kill 3 at the same time ;p. But what imo this class lack is a bit of dps in some points. Change base stats from 3% to 5%, here and there, nothing realy revolutionary and it will be all good :)
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ramgv wrote: »
    Dude, I rlly cant understand u... Im lvl 28 GWF,
    so GWF dont have the top DPS, so what ? Its a Role Playing Game, play the char u want, choose it because u like the gameplay no because is not the most OP.

Don't want to alarm you here, but actually there is a very bad leveling patch for you GWF coming soon once your Cleric stops scaling at rank 15 (at least until the Companion Upgrade Tomes come out). After that she tends to die more and more frequently at the start of fights which is a very bad thing as this means you have to try to kill enemies with your lowish DPS while chugging increasing quantities (of ever more expensive) health pots. At level 38 I am thinking of swapping over to my Dire Wolf companion for major fights now as at least this way they do some decent DPS. And apparently there is an even worse patch in the level 50-55 range I hear (shudder).

Also if you are interested in RP that is great. But for those of us for whom RP isn't the only reason to play the fact that people have already started posting in the forum and in-game that they don't want GWFs joining their parties, and would even consider booting them out automatically, could develop to a huge issue. Also later dungeons get much more difficult and having a weak character magnifies this issue, which means even when partying with friends for higher levels is problematic.
  • dannyw22dannyw22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31
    edited May 2013
    well tbh GWF are really gd just at end game I was just in a hc lair of the dragon and I was over 10 mill dmg done and the rogue second with only 8 mill and wiz last with 7 mill
  • someoneodsomeoneod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daradal wrote: »
    So using unstoppable and slam will fill up the daily bar faster? Any gear or something like that help with that too?

Roar, Roar, Roar, and more Roar. Currently level 60 with about 8.6k GS, with 13% CD reduction and 10%ish AP gain; roar gives me 1/4 to 1/2 of a full daily counter if I position it properly, and a decent chunk even on single targets. It's also another AOE. Since I hit around 7.5k GS i have yet to be beaten by a rogue of any gear level (even the ones that outgear me tend to be very close, and if there are any decent number of mobs, ie. t2 bosses, I smash them). GWF is all about stat synergies. Defence gives power, power gives bleeds, recovery gives AP... the more stats we have, the better we scale.

Also, itty bitty kitty stat sponge companion pet is amazing (yes, that's what I named her)
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dannyw22 wrote: »
    well tbh GWF are really gd just at end game I was just in a hc lair of the dragon and I was over 10 mill dmg done and the rogue second with only 8 mill and wiz last with 7 mill

Good to know - I have heard from several people that GWFs are at least somewhat competitive at endgame, which is something. (Not much given that the first 40 or so levels are extremely painful, but it would be a nightmare to find that nothing has changed at cap.)

Would you mind posting your spec or the guide you followed?
  • daradaldaradal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    someoneod wrote: »
    Roar, Roar, Roar, and more Roar. Currently level 60 with about 8.6k GS, with 13% CD reduction and 10%ish AP gain; roar gives me 1/4 to 1/2 of a full daily counter if I position it properly, and a decent chunk even on single targets. It's also another AOE. Since I hit around 7.5k GS i have yet to be beaten by a rogue of any gear level (even the ones that outgear me tend to be very close, and if there are any decent number of mobs, ie. t2 bosses, I smash them). GWF is all about stat synergies. Defence gives power, power gives bleeds, recovery gives AP... the more stats we have, the better we scale.

Also, itty bitty kitty stat sponge companion pet is amazing (yes, that's what I named her)

I respeced my guy with gear that gave power and AP and I saw a pretty decent improvement in damage and killing speed.

What exactly do you mean that defense gives power? I just figured it helped with not taking as much damage. Should I respec for defense?
  • bazyl40bazyl40 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    there is feat that gives you %bonus to your power based on your defence.
  • harshalnharshaln Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    weapon fighter class needs heavy upgrades .........in.pvp gwf sucks .. only daily power can do some dmg to others class players ........ my lvl 45 gwf with mass crit cant even do half hp of rough in 1 on 1 ........while he beat me in some sort of range power he got .........wtf .........feeling like wasted time in wrong class .......(sry fr my English) (rough's small knife kill guy with huge sword wtf) :mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • bayne3bayne3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    GWF is a great add tank. Luckily they're sorting the threat problems out today.
  • th0rfinnth0rfinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The role of the GWF was taking a space in a party where something else could be alot better. After today's patch, we will see.
  • tinfoiitinfoii Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    GWF's role is a mob clean-up/off-tank. I'm around 34 on my new GWF and get top 3 damage, most kills, and 1st or 2nd most damage tanked in dungeons. Don't sit on the big targets, take advantage of your AOE clearing the billions of adds in this game. I also go positive with high cap scores in PVP...I don't see how stun, sprints, and flourish are bad in pvp... I can't straight out dps a rogue, but why would I be able to...I have more trouble with wizards and their triple dodge to be honest. Anyway, go for AOE dmg and/or debuff stuff for the GWF.
  • aeightaeight Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well it's prettu sad what happened to this unfortunate class and to know that the class I love to play in every mmo Is the weakest to some puny person with daggers and people with and orb is pathetic and I thought D and D was better than that... Sorry netherwinter I will refuse to play you... IM BETTER THAN ANYONE AT MY LEVEL WITH GWF EVERY OTHER GWF I OWN BUT AGAINST ANY OTHER CLASS FORGET IT Until you fix this and stop making one class the frowned upon I will rejoin this amazing game
  • malganysxmalganysx Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    have you ever play D&D??.. lol seems not... GWF path is a striker path... and is 1 of the best damage of all D&D together with barbarian and sorcerer... rogue do less damage than a warrior GWF so pls dont say this bull**** and go to learn real D&D classes... and yes is defensive too.. is a melee face to face combat... need some defensive spelkls... or die in seconds...