test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Massively column on choosing your first class

sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in News & Announcements
Massively has some thoughts on choosing your first class in Neverwinter. Read their latest column here: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04/17/neverwinter-days-choosing-your-first-class/
Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
Post edited by sominator on

Comments

• lordpatriciuslordpatricius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Nice, thanks
  • addy1967addy1967 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    cool thanks
  • sirglenosirgleno Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 75
    edited April 2013
    Didn't like the article, and iirc it has been confirmed by Cryptic that new classes will be free (so the article basically starts off with a glaring inaccuracy.
    Dystopia - Impact Cleric
    Nyx - Divine Cleric
    Medusa - Brush Wizard
    Spinnerella - Combat Wizard

Don't forget to update the Wiki!
  • raugarraugar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    they make a good Point in saying that 5 classes just aren'T enough for a Launch...
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    what we definatly need is 1 more healer and 1 more tank class...i think thats the bottleneck currently in dungones and skirmishes
  • sockforum44sockforum44 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 59
    edited April 2013
    5 Classes is plenty for launch. I am upset that there is only 1 Paragon for each though.
  • erideitaerideita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 304
    edited April 2013
    what we definatly need is 1 more healer and 1 more tank class...i think thats the bottleneck currently in dungones and skirmishes

Not really. More tank and healer classes does not equal more people willing to play tanks and healers. Look at some MMOs out there that have 4-5 tank classes and as many healer classes... And guess what, they still are hard to come by.
  • ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited April 2013
  • raugarraugar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    5 Classes is plenty for launch. I am upset that there is only 1 Paragon for each though.

your Definition of plenty has to be a really weird one. 5 is way below genre standard, and for a DnD game, while DnD offers so many, it's even worse
  • krevell009krevell009 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ranger has to be the 6th class.
  • stargeezertimstargeezertim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    krevell009 wrote: »
    Ranger has to be the 6th class.

From your lips to the devs' ears. I really miss my pew-pew toon. :cool:
    hh_banner_small_revised_zps5bc02b95.jpg

Will /danceseductive for ZEN. :cool:
  • balthezar2balthezar2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Needs multi-classing, IMHO. Someone who can fight face-to-face, or use ranged when the situation calls for it, and disable traps/pick locks, like a GF/Ranger/Rogue.
  • originaloddbodoriginaloddbod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think the reason there aren't enough tanks and healers in most MMOs is because even with a number of different options, the typical implementation of the classes isn't very interesting. By definition, having someone dedicated to a specific task over and over again is going to make it boring. The only way to break free of such a problem is to change the paradigm of the tank/healer/dps trilogy, or allow players to respec at will and combine sets of skills to make unusual combinations. That's a nightmare to balance though.
  • halfmeadhalfmead Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The game looks quite good and i like the DDO feel. But surely, more classes and the ability to multi-class should be a must for a serious D&D game (even if we most likely have to pay for these options). Also i would have liked more versatility in choosing my abilities and such (as in DDO). But, it is early in game still ofc, can only hope it gets better.

Right now i am just thoroughly enjoying the game, doing quests and leveling to join the events and stuff :)
  • critmassivecritmassive Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yup definitely need a ranger before anything. Tanks and heals are always good as well.
  • marinasirtismarinasirtis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Enjoying my trickster rogue!
  • nexygonnexygon Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Want to do lots of melee DPS? Trickster Rogue, Great Weapon Fighter.
    very funny. wizard deals 2-3x more damage than my Great Weapon Fighter. to a single target or to a group. with 2-3 times more efficient control.
  • octavian1127octavian1127 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    disregarding balance issues, the best way to get people to play tanks and healer is to give them the capability to work solo in some way. hybrids allow people to fill those roles in parties without sacrificing the versatility of play-style that other roles can provide.
  • idontuseidontuse Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    erideita wrote: »
    Not really. More tank and healer classes does not equal more people willing to play tanks and healers. Look at some MMOs out there that have 4-5 tank classes and as many healer classes... And guess what, they still are hard to come by.

This is very true. However play style changes perhaps of a monk's evasion tanking or a druids nature based heals might speak to someone where a sward-and-board warrior, or zealot cleric is unappealing.
    Farcry Prays: "Help Fendax recover from that terrible fall!"
    /roll: 1
    "A spare bit of wood Hits Fendax in the head."
  • enchainrainenchainrain Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    halfmead wrote: »
    The game looks quite good and i like the DDO feel. But surely, more classes and the ability to multi-class should be a must for a serious D&D game
    balthezar2 wrote: »
    Needs multi-classing, IMHO. Someone who can fight face-to-face, or use ranged when the situation calls for it, and disable traps/pick locks, like a GF/Ranger/Rogue.
    No. The game truly does not need that, at all, even remotely. DDO was based on 3.5 edition of the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons line. That kind of thing was expected, and what resulted was the same problem that 3.5 faces on the table with dice. You have ludicruous cross-classing that renders the class system meaningless and breaks the math of the mechanics such that anything that isn't a highly certain build is actually a trap option. Neverwinter Online is based on the 4th edition of the tabletop game, which has a much weaker system of multiclassing by design. It keeps classes distinct and balanced. That is the idea that needs to be maintained in NWO. Distinct, and balanced. Which they're doing really well so far. There are a ton of choices a person can make and not be so much better or worse build wise than another person that it would be better to try to do a 5 person event as a 4 person group than try to include them. You did see that in DDO and 3e and you don't see that here. Messing with that formula would be a huge mistake. Which is why...
    disregarding balance issues, the best way to get people to play tanks and healer is to give them the capability to work solo in some way.
    The Guild Wars series does this and 4e does this. Wizards, for example, can be Controllers with Leader subtyping and do one a lot and the other a little or Clerics can be Strikers/Leaders or Leaders/Strikers or Controller/Leaders etc. which you already see in the game. Which is why you see way more healers in the game than in most MMOs: the Cleric gets to do something besides watch green bars and back up when something gets too close. This is great design and I'm glad we're seeing it.

Basically, I don't see the objections being raised so far as valid. I like what I'm seeing so far. A lot.
  • creiticreiti Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    2 staple classes NW is missing:

Monk and Druid..

I was very happy to see this game come out, I just hope to God that PWE doesn't ruin it with their microtransations.
  • t3hmerct3hmerc Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No. The game truly does not need that, at all, even remotely. DDO was based on 3.5 edition of the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons line. That kind of thing was expected, and what resulted was the same problem that 3.5 faces on the table with dice. You have ludicruous cross-classing that renders the class system meaningless and breaks the math of the mechanics such that anything that isn't a highly certain build is actually a trap option. Neverwinter Online is based on the 4th edition of the tabletop game, which has a much weaker system of multiclassing by design. It keeps classes distinct and balanced. That is the idea that needs to be maintained in NWO. Distinct, and balanced. Which they're doing really well so far. There are a ton of choices a person can make and not be so much better or worse build wise than another person that it would be better to try to do a 5 person event as a 4 person group than try to include them. You did see that in DDO and 3e and you don't see that here. Messing with that formula would be a huge mistake.

So it's basically another MMO? Friend rushed to have me download this and I decided to hit the forums while downloading. Its pretty lame if it's another "pick a class, pick a tree, have fun" game, seeing as this is D&D. And after going over the wiki somewhat it does look to use a tree system, lame. Left DDO after they started that "capstone" bonus <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for taking 20 levels in a class that typically was over the top, became too much like 4th edition.

The main problem with some multiclassing attempts in DDO was they didn't have a lot of the feats or classes required to make them work. I'd have to check back now that I hear they're revamping the enhancement system, with any luck a spellsword class mix is doable now. I'll always prefer the 3.5 system just because of how many options were there to build a unique character.

I'll try and judge this as a game first but character customization is what drew me into D&D so I'm already a bit disappointed.
  • pinkysansbrainpinkysansbrain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    t3hmerc wrote: »
    I'll try and judge this as a game first but character customization is what drew me into D&D so I'm already a bit disappointed.

It's 4e, what'd you expect?
  • silky1979silky1979 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    creiti wrote: »

Monk and Druid..

I was very happy to see this game come out, I just hope to God that PWE doesn't ruin it with their microtransations.

i agree with you and yea the cash shop is OP
  • ninjaunicornxninjaunicornx Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Call it whatever you want, but I just want a bow using archer class.
  • ferrosiiferrosii Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Everyone wants a class that can do everything..... Thanks WoW!
  • blur13blur13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sirgleno wrote: »
    Didn't like the article, and iirc it has been confirmed by Cryptic that new classes will be free (so the article basically starts off with a glaring inaccuracy.

Good point, there.
  • parallaxicoreparallaxicore Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hate how he writes that the cleric isn't as good to him because he can't single target heal..

Hey writer, maybe because there's only one single target heal spell..and its mostly meant for yourself.

I really hate writers that just don't do ****, they don't review the game well enough, they don't play for ahead in, they don't experience the game and especially bad they write **** about it. Granted the article wasn't a trash talking article, but still he's just another bland, boring quick to judge idiot thinking his opinion is worth a single penny when its not.
  • parallaxicoreparallaxicore Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    creiti wrote: »

Monk and Druid..

So far PWE seems to be in the dog house with that, just like most their games the cash shop is outrageous and they don't give a ****. Read from quite a few people to TRULY max out a character, you need to spend about 50 bucks per character, bags, wards for enchanting since high level runes have near no chance of fusing.
  • damnationaldamnational Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ya I am really dissapointed at the classes in this game atm, when DnD and even NWN in general has so many unused.. Paladins, Druids, Sorcerers, Monks, Barbarians.. all awesome and off the top of my head, I find myself missing them. Especially a conventional Wizard not this weird Orb holding variant..