test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

One Star Rattings

Comments

• angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Stars: Pretty simple the way I see it: 3 stars is not great, not bad. 2 = "didn;t care for it" and 1 = "hated it"; 4 = "I liked this a lot" and 5 = "Wowsers! MORE PLEASE!"

Not everyone sees them this way.

I agree - those who rate 1 or 2 stars rarely ever say why. But what can you do? Meh. I've got 1 1-star rating and 2 2-star ratings. All the rest are 4-stars or 5-stars. So I figure the 1 and 2s are the non-reader types.
  • rohk007rohk007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have gotten several one star ratings for My [UGC] The Draconis Pub! from players who do not like the loot at the end or do not read it is recommended for two or more players. I do think though there are a great deal of players that do give great feedback, some have emailed me and even messaged me in game and in turn will help me on next quest in the line.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    chili1179 wrote: »
    On a side note, very few people even read. This includes coming to the forums and reading this thread or any instructions you may have in your quest description or the quest in the game.

Spam 1 through dialogue, click everything, this is how most people play.
    That's mostly due to the average quality of writing in foundry quests, Sturgeon's Law also works here and it isn't just about grammar and spelling.
  • veeiveei Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That's mostly due to the average quality of writing in foundry quests, Sturgeon's Law also works here and it isn't just about grammar and spelling.

But the whole point of the foundry is to have a good time playing the game and enjoying a story written by fellow gamers. If you are playing foundry content and expecting "Bestseller List" quality writing then you are looking in the wrong place. If you played pen and paper DnD as most of us did/do then your DM is not the best story writer, or use the best grammar, etc. But, you have a blast everytime you play. The UGC authors dont get paid to do this. We not only take time out of our lifes to create these quests, but its also time out of playing a game we all want to play. Not counting real life. So for those people who give me one star and leave feedback such as what Apoc mentioned, I ignore them. They are not worth my time. People need to stop and play the foundry for what it is, a medium in which gamers can create interesting, fun quests for other gamers and just enjoy it.

PLUG: With the exception of TILT42.. Your story read like a book. Very well written and overall great quest. Course then I found out you are a writer if I am not mistaken?
    Rigas Crimstone, Officer

"Perfecting the art of being a meatshield since 1998"

Banners of the Light
  • unrealukunrealuk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hello all. New here! Can't wait to muck in with the community!

I always try to leave honest feedback, and I've been largely encouraged by the passion and quality of the Foundry creations I've tried out so far, but I *do* understand why some may not like to, providing their low rating is legitimate and not trolling. It's rather disheartening to have to disparage someone elses hard work, but I would urge people to create a balanced discussion - it will ultimately lead to a healthier Foundry community in the long run :)

I find it hard to believe you'd find no redeeming qualities in a quest, however, providing you used some common sense and chose a quest that at least looked like it had some effort expended on it!
    Esmira Sungazer - Devoted Cleric
  • gemstrikegemstrike Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ah, 1 star trolls. Sometimes this is legitimate, someone just doesn't like the quest. Sometimes you can tell it's trolls :P Like this pair I got the other day. They copy/pasted the exact same text for the campaign and quest reviews. For both players. Now this isn't enough by itself to say they're trolls, but they said there was no challenge, which is rather...false for the second quest. Unless they were both clerics and had greycloak weapons and were level 5 when they went through. Of course almost nothing in the foundry will present a challenge in that situation ;)

Point to ramble? 1 stars happen, don't sweat it. From my view point as long as at least one person said they had fun, the effort was worth it :)

Foundry Author! Check out @gemstrike to see my quests :)
    Want to make your own? Then watch my videos.
    New Videos
    Old Videos
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I use to rate them as a reviewer would, but after seeing trolls giving one stars to people I rate a lot higher now. I mean my favorite quest is Aproc right now, and he got a 1 star for being to long. If the player would of read he would of seen the average play time was little over a hour. The rating system is really a joke to me. I like the review part, gotten great feedback usually 1 out of 10 peeps, and I have improved on it. I never use the star system to search for a quest.

Anyways everyone is going to get them it is a little upsetting. There is not one quest I have played yet that even scores a 2.

I don't hide my emotions, but I treat others as I wish they would treat me. The only thing I hate about MMOs are the really nasty people that play to hurt people. Just try to ignore them, but it seems in the 12 years of gaming more and more have arrived. The MMO community use to be a wonderful community lets try our best in Neverwinter to turn around the hate, and make it GREAT!
  • zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    volcxxx wrote: »
    I dont like this system, he is missing popularity factor.
    More popular = better. Simple as this.
    For a start, ok - rating in stars, but after, dunno 100 plays, "popularity" should be dominating factor of quality of quest.

In this case couple morons will not trash down with 1-star rating good quests.

Popularity does not equal better. Life is full of examples. Not to take away from you Blood and Sand of course.

Better is subjective.

Popular can have many factors, fads, trends, easiest path, etc.

Popular and Best can be the same, but doesn't mean it always is.
  • ohsnap81ohsnap81 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Boom. I was one of The Draconis Pub's one star reviewers. Honestly, I was planning on detailing out exactly why I didn't enjoy that quest, but then very quickly ran into the character limit for reviewing. I'm sure there's some technical reason for keeping the text string limit rather low for reviews, but having a succinct review be the ONLY option, is a disservice to the audience and the creators. If you go through reviews, at least ones viewable to public, most of them are generally "I like it" or "I don't like it". Personally, I would like to say "I didn't like it, because of X, Y and Z". I feel forced to write fluff reviews given the size limitations.

A button to mail the author on the review page would be handy...
  • tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    veei wrote: »
    PLUG: With the exception of TILT42.. Your story read like a book. Very well written and overall great quest. Course then I found out you are a writer if I am not mistaken?

Thanks! :)

I'm writing a book but I'm not a published author, so I don't know how much that's worth. ;)
    edited May 2013
    That's a good point. Is the author on the forum?
    edited May 2013
    tilt42 wrote: »

I'm writing a book but I'm not a published author, so I don't know how much that's worth. ;)

Oh, I played your quests last night! Some lovely work in there. A few too many doors at points, but good pace and variety in objectives and locales, and the ending is a fantastic surprise. How nice to face an enemy that can't be overcome with force of arms alone! It's nigh seamless with the existing content, too. Your adherance to the local events is admirable. Your quest has become part of my character's history now, as much as any of the core quests.

I hope my future quests will entertain you to even half that degree!
  • turkman84turkman84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013

If everyone rates quests with 4, 5 or nothing, that means all averages will be 4 or higher. That doesn't benefit anyone.

I agree with this. A lot of quests hav 4-5 star average ratings right now. While some of them are truly awesome, others are just mediocre but still get 4s and 5s.

But I also have a hard time giving out poor ratings (and three stars already looks quite poor to most) for stuff that was okay, but not that great. That's a conscience problem that probably most not trolling people have :)
  • veeiveei Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Your welcome. Was a very engaging story. I look forward to future stories.
    Rigas Crimstone, Officer

"Perfecting the art of being a meatshield since 1998"

Banners of the Light
  • nezroy123nezroy123 Member Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    axer128 wrote: »
    Loot yes. Sound: No. You could link a recommended music track that fits your adventure in it's description. (On something easy to access for everyone like youtube)

He's talking about the fact that all of our custom placed sound objects (music, ambiance, special FX, etc.) are not working properly in live right now due to a bug.

And no, no one is going to read the description far enough to alt-tab out and open a recommended music track somewhere.
    Quests: Fate of the Bonnie Kate (NW-DE6K6H63Q)
  • platinuplatinu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    drakedge2 wrote: »
    Yes I agree, let the critique be sent in an ingame mail, leave the stars alone if you thought it had potential but needed help.

It's funny to see your post about this since I had done this yesterday evening with your quest. lol.

I loved our in-game discussion.

Just to clarify for whoever cares, I ran Drakede2's 1st quest in his planescape adventures and found some errors, nothing major but I loved the adventure itself so much I felt that 'cleaning it up' would be worthwhile. So as I went through it I typed up a Word doc of spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc. errors and by the time I had finished it was a page and a half. I posted a review, saying how much I enjoyed it but that it could use some basic editing and that if he was interested I had a document listing the fixes.

It was mere minutes when he contacted me in game. I was very surprised but we chatted for a bit, exchanged email addresses, I sent him the document and he went over some of the issues I'd had, explaining them to me, and I in turn gave him my take on it, such as when one system message came up saying "Flee from X", I was so busy trying to survive that I missed that and had to fight another wave before I noticed that message. So he made that more prominent.

There were several points like that but it was just a great experience. It was like enjoying a book and being able to close the book and start talking to the author about it.

I really think that if we could convey to the 'users' of what basically comes up to being a free service you guys provide as to how much fun it can be to instead of just belittling your work instead actually helping, as a community, to improve the adventures that we love, it would really change some of the people's responses. Maybe I'm dreaming though.

I love you guys. Purely heterosexually, but it's there. Once I've scratched my 'itch' to level up to 60 so I can do some of the harder content I plan on learning how to create stuff.

I make videos at work and I can take a video of someone's dog and make it poot fire and lightning... but even though that's funny, it's not something I can share on the Foundry. :)

I do wish there was a way for us to create our own 'cut scenes' and add them into our content. I understand the limitations of this because people would be piling in <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>... but still. I'd love to be able to create video content for Foundry missions.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ohsnap81 wrote: »
    A button to mail the author on the review page would be handy...

Generally speaking, we've actually suggested and some of us came *this close* to begging the devs to do this back in beta times. Whether it's an idea on the Dev's table or not, we don't know. Hopefully it is.
  • boydzinjboydzinj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you see a mob that refuses to fight you - and is not moving to engage you while it is being attacked. It is probably a bug in the game, not the player. I do not believe you can make a mob that passive. I know you can make a mob become passive if you get them under a specific HP level.

Likewise, if the creature is patrolling and then all of a sudden it is flying in the air for a moment or two then resumes its ground walk a moment later... that is probably Cryptic's fault.

I would never hold that against someone. Likewise, if the text says "Suggested Party Size is 3+ Companions (tanks and a healer are very helpful and you still may need to use Hit Point Potions)." and I try to solo it and die several times... is it my fault or the person who created the foundry? I would love harder challenges that are not just throw 100 mobs together... JUST because. If there is a reason a Drow Slaver and a host of other drow are attacking me, I do not mind - as long as there is a reason.
  • apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    platinu wrote: »
    It's funny to see your post about this since I had done this yesterday evening with your quest. lol.

I loved our in-game discussion.

Just to clarify for whoever cares, I ran Drakede2's 1st quest in his planescape adventures and found some errors, nothing major but I loved the adventure itself so much I felt that 'cleaning it up' would be worthwhile. So as I went through it I typed up a Word doc of spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc. errors and by the time I had finished it was a page and a half. I posted a review, saying how much I enjoyed it but that it could use some basic editing and that if he was interested I had a document listing the fixes.

It was mere minutes when he contacted me in game. I was very surprised but we chatted for a bit, exchanged email addresses, I sent him the document and he went over some of the issues I'd had, explaining them to me, and I in turn gave him my take on it, such as when one system message came up saying "Flee from X", I was so busy trying to survive that I missed that and had to fight another wave before I noticed that message. So he made that more prominent.

There were several points like that but it was just a great experience. It was like enjoying a book and being able to close the book and start talking to the author about it.

I really think that if we could convey to the 'users' of what basically comes up to being a free service you guys provide as to how much fun it can be to instead of just belittling your work instead actually helping, as a community, to improve the adventures that we love, it would really change some of the people's responses. Maybe I'm dreaming though.

I love you guys. Purely heterosexually, but it's there. Once I've scratched my 'itch' to level up to 60 so I can do some of the harder content I plan on learning how to create stuff.

I make videos at work and I can take a video of someone's dog and make it poot fire and lightning... but even though that's funny, it's not something I can share on the Foundry. :)

I do wish there was a way for us to create our own 'cut scenes' and add them into our content. I understand the limitations of this because people would be piling in <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>... but still. I'd love to be able to create video content for Foundry missions.

You sir are what more of the community should aspire to be, I appreciate that you actually took the time to help authors out instead of leaving 1 start comments like "GO F*** yourself" or "My D*** is bigger than you s*** quest."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • vagrantzerovagrantzero Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zaphtastic wrote: »
    Stuff

Hey mate my rant wasn't specifically aimed at any one person (and that's also the reason you weren't quoted), sorry you took it that way. I'm just frustrated that what was to be my favorite feature of Neverwinter is now something I am actively ignoring. It's like looking forward to The Old Republic for years for its story then spacebaring through the entire game. It's just depressing and makes me angry.
  • zaphtasticzaphtastic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey mate my rant wasn't specifically aimed at any one person (and that's also the reason you weren't quoted), sorry you took it that way. I'm just frustrated that what was to be my favorite feature of Neverwinter is now something I am actively ignoring. It's like looking forward to The Old Republic for years for its story then spacebaring through the entire game. It's just depressing and makes me angry.
    Yea, no probs... in fact, I was mostly responding to others saying that my lenient rating was hurting the game. I completely agree with you that the rating system, as it is, is not that useful to determine the true value of a quest for a particular person's tastes (I talked about this at length before). Rest assured that this WILL change. There are numerous systems on the way that are intended to help players find good content suited to their tastes... just not right now.

I was just pointing out that there are far, far worse things related to rating inflation than worrying about one guy* 5-starring stuff that was 5-star material in the first place!

* one guy who barely plays the game anyway... but that has nothing to do with the Foundry at all :P
  • platinuplatinu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    apocrs1980 wrote: »
    You sir are what more of the community should aspire to be, I appreciate that you actually took the time to help authors out instead of leaving 1 start comments like "GO F*** yourself" or "My D*** is bigger than you s*** quest."

Now my coworkers are giving me that "Is he off his meds again!?" look I've grown so used to... I busted out laughing. I can just imagine, getting a 1 star review, reading the comments and reading... one of those 2 choices.

I enjoy proofreading and editing. I do it at work as a tech editor/writer but I wear so many different 'hats' it isn't something I get burnt out on. I'll most likely do this with every Foundry quest I do and just hope the author doesn't get angry with me for pointing out the issues. I don't do this to be mean, I only do this because I like to make the things I love better.
    edited May 2013
    apocrs1980 wrote: »

I just realized, I spoke to you the other night. Myself and a guild mate got trapped in part of your quest. I left and sent you a tell about it, we talked a bit, pleasantly, and in about 10 minutes you sent me a tell and said the issue was fixed. Very good of you.
  • drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just realized, I spoke to you the other night. Myself and a guild mate got trapped in part of your quest. I left and sent you a tell about it, we talked a bit, pleasantly, and in about 10 minutes you sent me a tell and said the issue was fixed. Very good of you.

You sir are my hero. I loved your help and document. We need more people like you to help make this content epic.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Ahh Yeah sorry about that again, some things that work perfectly in 3D edit mode end up being a colossal fail when publishing the game to the live environment. But did some additional tweaking and got it fixed... thank god too as the project was so overloaded it took 40 min just to make one simple correction >.<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • granatargranatar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I did get a one star review with a comment of, "good start" and it is a good start sense it is the first attempt at an editor.
  • zaphtasticzaphtastic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My favorite one-star was in BWE4: "sorry but not good". Hey, at least he said sorry! :p
  • drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Haha true, none of the people that have given me one star reviews has commented.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • gsundered11gsundered11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Apart from one foundry product, which was so annoying I quit and so could not leave feedback or score, I have enjoyed all the ones I've played. I want to thank all of you for doing such great work. I really appreciate it.
    edited May 2013
    Of course!

I have though now found quests that truly deserve one star. All these farm quests that popped up today and yesterday with nothing but ogres in them in an empty map with nothing more than a treasure chest, campfire, and thats about it.

Just terrible.
    8IxArUQf.jpg