test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

No sound

blalsakblalsak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
edited June 2015 in Bug Reports (PC)
I have no sound in Neverwinter. It started yesterday night. Before that everything was fine. I tried resetting sound settings, tried changing the output device. I even reinstalled the game completely today while the servers were down. It still does not have any sound at all.
After trying a few things I noticed that the game does not show up in my soundmixer. I don't know how that could even happen and have no clue how to fix that.

Please help me fix the problem. Thanks a lot.
Post edited by blalsak on

Comments

• jaustingoodjaustingood Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am having the same problem. Doesn't work for speakers or headphones.
  • jasonfethjasonfeth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Exactly same problem here
  • razersenorazerseno Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same here ...
    edited May 2013
    Alright,

After looking more into the matter I had no success at fixing this problem.
    I installed new drivers (realtek), tweaked around my windows,realtek, and game sound settings. Nothing helped.
    The game doesn't even show up in the volume mixer or anywhere else.

Also when I run the game, my sound hardware is not shown in the options window (output device), it just shows "Unknown".

But after I login with a character, my sound card shows up in the options and I get 2 options:

"Speakers( realtek High Definition Audio)"
    "Realtek Digital Output (realtek High Definition Audio)"

although I still get no sound no matter which one I choose.
    If I restart the game I get the "Unknown" again.
    Seems like the game is not detecting my sound card for some reason.
    Needless to say that sound is working as expected in any other application other than NW.

Any help would be very appreciated.
  • sirbeletangsirbeletang Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am also haveing the exact same issue, i was able to play it fine with audio last night but today there has been no audio. It is identical to jasonfeth in his explanation concerning the output device. Appreciate all you guys have down to deal with the recent issues, keep up the good work and i hope the audio gets fixed soon. Its a wonderful game.
    edited May 2013
    Is there any chance that this issue is related to realtek on-board sound cards? Could you guys, having the probles, post which sound cards you use?
  • akrapakrap Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm using on-board Realtek sound. I have no sound.

Sound worked just fine on the betas, and I have never had a sound issue with any other application. Just NeverWinter. I've done the following:

1. Updated the drivers to the newest version
    2. Removed all other audio devices except the main sound device in Playback Devices (in Windows)
    3. Set the default device as Default
    4. Restarted/reinstalled/re-everything

No change.

Observations. As others have also stated, and I've seen:

1. NeverWinter never shows up in the Sound Mixer.
    2. On the login screen it will show Unknown in the audio device pull-down, but it will show the device if you are logged in.

This may be specific to Realtek devices, but it was working in beta just fine. So they broke something since I had not changed a thing from beta to open. And new drivers didn't help. They got a bug that needs squashing.
    edited May 2013
    So,

It is either my PC is going nuts or I got the problem solved... in one way or another.

What I did was to verify my installation files. An when I logged in, Ta Da! I have sound!

I opened the Options in the launcher window and marked the "Force Verify" field.
    Then I logged in and the launcher was stalled saying "Patching..." on the patch bar. After a couple of minutes when it finished I pressed the play button and everything worked fine.

Validating the installation was the one thing I overlooked. Stupid me!
    Although the "Output Device" in the options menu on character selection still shows "Unknown" instead of my sound card, but the sound is working fine. I even started to love that STO-style main menu theme! :)

I hope this will help you out guys!
    edited May 2013
    That did not work for me. Still as silent as the grave.
    edited May 2013
    akrap wrote: »
    That did not work for me. Still as silent as the grave.

Have you the game fully patched?
    By fully patched, I mean if you have marked the "Disable patch on demand" field in Launcher Options and downloaded the remaining 2Gb of content. And then Verify. That was what I did.
  • supergp17supergp17 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jasonfeth wrote: »
    So,

It is either my PC is going nuts or I got the problem solved... in one way or another.

What I did was to verify my installation files. An when I logged in, Ta Da! I have sound!

I opened the Options in the launcher window and marked the "Force Verify" field.
    Then I logged in and the launcher was stalled saying "Patching..." on the patch bar. After a couple of minutes when it finished I pressed the play button and everything worked fine.

Validating the installation was the one thing I overlooked. Stupid me!
    Although the "Output Device" in the options menu on character selection still shows "Unknown" instead of my sound card, but the sound is working fine. I even started to love that STO-style main menu theme! :)

I hope this will help you out guys!

Thanks but it didn't work for me. I have the Realtek Digital Output, and I have no sound as well. I did try to switch it to my nvidia High Definition Audio (HDMI from 670) but that isn't working either.
    edited May 2013
    supergp17 wrote: »
    Thanks but it didn't work for me. I have the Realtek Digital Output, and I have no sound as well. I did try to switch it to my nvidia High Definition Audio (HDMI from 670) but that isn't working either.

Same question to you.
    Have you the game fully patched?
    By fully patched, I mean if you have marked the "Disable patch on demand" field in Launcher Options and downloaded the remaining 2Gb of content. And then Verify. That was what I did.
  • atleastitsnotwowatleastitsnotwow Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I too having the same issue, just tried the Disable patch on command and force verify to no avail. :( Same exact issues, unknown at login menu, same options after logging in my character. Sound works everywhere else. Please help. :)
    edited May 2013
    Well, I can't find any other way to help. Sorry guys. Seems like Cryptic will have to look into this.
    Maybe you should make tickets in game to draw their attention to this matter (just be advised, the ticket submission system bugs out sometimes so make sure to save your text before hitting the submit button).

I hope this issue will be solved fast enough.
  • sirbeletangsirbeletang Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    **** it you got my hopes up, that didnt work for me :(
  • blalsakblalsak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Tried force verify as well. Did not help :(

I also have on board realtek sound drivers

We need some help here :/
    edited May 2013
    Sorry, but no go for me either. Tried all your suggestions Jason, still no sound either.

I'll second that blalsak, we need help here!

I submitted a ticket in-game for the issue as well.
  • unshvndillonunshvndillon Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Tried all the above and even a fresh install....nothing
  • foosnarkfoosnark Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same problem here. Realtek HD drivers, no sound regardless of my settings.
  • armaiolo80armaiolo80 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Me too.... no sound "output device unknown".. O_O!!??
  • ellandriellandri Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I also have the same issue.
    Character selection. Audio is Unknown
    Once in game Audio shows as Realtek HD audio but still no sound.

I have the latest audio drivers
    force verify did not solve the issue either.
    edited May 2013
    Realtek HD drivers, same problem here, no sound after the last update ...
  • hoodedspirithoodedspirit Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I had the same problem. But i clicked '' reset to defaults'' .
    Now its working naturally in windowed maximized mode.
    Sorry for my english.
    http://p1305.hizliresim.com/19/2/mnzuc.jpg
  • ellandriellandri Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    found this on the support site.

(Tech) Sound problems, AC97/Realtek sound chip
    Published 06/06/2012 05:33 PM | Updated 09/18/2012 05:22 PM
    I am having sound problems, and I have an AC97 or other Realtek sound chip, what else can I try besides updating my sound drivers?If you have already tried updating your sound drivers for your Realtek hardware, and have not had success in returning sound to your game, please see if this is helpful:

Bring up the Game Launcher, click Options, and in the "Advanced command line" box, enter this: -ignorex64check

The ignorex64check should prevent the game from checking if the system/drivers are 64-bit, and will generally resolve the issue.

I inputed the command -ignore64check . and I now have sound
  • armaiolo80armaiolo80 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ellandri wrote: »
    found this on the support site.

(Tech) Sound problems, AC97/Realtek sound chip
    Published 06/06/2012 05:33 PM | Updated 09/18/2012 05:22 PM
    I am having sound problems, and I have an AC97 or other Realtek sound chip, what else can I try besides updating my sound drivers?If you have already tried updating your sound drivers for your Realtek hardware, and have not had success in returning sound to your game, please see if this is helpful:

Bring up the Game Launcher, click Options, and in the "Advanced command line" box, enter this: -ignorex64check

The ignorex64check should prevent the game from checking if the system/drivers are 64-bit, and will generally resolve the issue.

I inputed the command -ignore64check . and I now have sound

Thx so much ellandri, i've solved with your help.. ;)
    edited May 2013
    it's working ! thank you !

-ignorex64check

:cool:
    edited May 2013
    Thank you ellandri! The -ignorex64check works like a charm!
  • k3m3d0k3m3d0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have this problem with opening cinematics ONLY.

The rest of the game have his sound normally (I guess)..
    [SIGPIC]Oromeh@k3m3d0[/SIGPIC]
  • blalsakblalsak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    -ignorex64check

helped. thanks
  • dmaniacdmaniac Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well that didnt worked for me :(