test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

dont take gwf

warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
edited July 2013 in PvE Discussion
just great class................,20+hp pots is not enough to finish 20 +quests ,so if u play him u wont be able to buy mount + better to do pvp for exp whit him :( since u will need long time to finish quests even my full dps build is not helping need few mins to kill 1 big hp mob so im able to charge few tims tab skill and daily skill and u use it on one same mob before he die ,and bosses will need few times more then strong mob ....this the weakest class i ever played in any game
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am not quite sure what I just read....
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Could have been written better, but the gist of the original post is not inaccurate.

The GWF at lower levels is extremely painful to level up as its DPS is way below that of any other class, although some people say this changes above level 35. Even with the founder advantages of a great starting weapon that I kept till level 20 and a companion from a very early stage it wasn't easy going at all (although mainly just really tedious slowly whiting down enemies).

Also having to drink pots more often than any other class (due to both being melee and having low DPS) means that you will only be able to buy your healing companion later than other classes due having to pay for healing pots. So for a first character it is possibly a good idea to try something else.

Oh and (at least at lower levels) PvP is pretty dire as the GWF only is decent if he can hit multiple enemies at once and very few enemy players are helpful enough to all bunch up for you......
  • Options
    dusknoiredusknoire Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I use more potions on my rogue than I do my GWF. I honestly don't see what all the complaining is about.. does it happen 20+ or something?
  • Options
    asaviosasavios Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If warpet spent as much time ingame playing as hes whining in the forums he'd probably already be 60 and start kicking ***...
  • Options
    purutzilpurutzil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dusknoire wrote: »
    I use more potions on my rogue than I do my GWF. I honestly don't see what all the complaining is about.. does it happen 20+ or something?
    No offense to you, but you are not dodging like you are suppose to be. For me trickster rogue was vastly easier to play then GWF during the closed beta. I could breeze through stuff, specially after getting a companion to heal. GWF actually gets weaker as it gets further up in levels until it finally gets a break.
    GWF level 60 (Beholder) - The pains of leveling!
    Cleric level 5X (Dragon) - Holy goblin so much easier!
  • Options
    elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    After reading a thread with people complaining about using pots every fight as a WIZARD I have to wonder if the problem really is the classes or the players...
  • Options
    labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I <3 GWF . I played GF in BW2-4 .
    You have to MOVE a lot as GWF . If you hold still you will drink a lot . Now once you get unstoppable , you can hold still while you hold down tab. Unlike the GF you can use all your regular attacks while unstoppable. I some times finish a boss and want to yell " Flawless Victory " Move and move a lot . I recommend a striker companion not a healer . The dog is very nice , but dies quickly in boss fights . A tank companion would be good for boss fights .
    Remember to move fast hold down shift . I like this better then double tab which uses up all your stamina.
    If you want a hold still and fight melee toon , you need a GF not a GWF . You can get very decent single target damage on a GF , but they can get swarmed with trash mobs . You have no problem with swarms as a GWF , the difficulty is with bosses.
  • Options
    horsepantshorsepants Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why is everyone complaining? I only had minor issues from 20-30 as I killed stuff fairly slow, but I didn't chug down potions upon potions. When you try to dodge with GWF just sprint forward to get behind the enemy, don't try to turn left or right then try to get behind, you'll get hit. I watched a few streams where they would try to avoid a charge attack by running to the side when all you have to do is run forward.
  • Options
    redburstredburst Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seriously... I am no one who complains lightly but in all the years of playing MMO's i've never seen such a heavy design flaw in class balance yet.

The GWF feels like he's fighting with a toothpick instead of a two-handed sword.
    This is the first time that I consider changing my playstyle (and class) just because the class with the gamestyle I fancy is so horribly bad compared to the others.
  • Options
    ugibugibugiugibugibugi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    gwf is fine, seeing good damage comming out of em in level 60 too..
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    gwf is fine, seeing good damage comming out of em in level 60 too..

So you have got you GWF to 60 already and are a non-founder? That's pretty good going to put it mildly - could you post your spec and leveling advice for the rest of us please? Or just simply link your character ;)
  • Options
    ugibugibugiugibugibugi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    So you have got you GWF to 60 already and are a non-founder? That's pretty good going to put it mildly - could you post your spec and leveling advice for the rest of us please?

seeing =/= being. im playing GF, but was teaming up for dungeon runs with a 60 gwf, and he was following the TR and CW fine on the damage meter. So sorry cant give you more info ;)

ps. how to link char?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    seeing =/= being. im playing GF, but was teaming up for dungeon runs with a 60 gwf, and he was following the TR and CW fine on the damage meter. So sorry cant give you more info ;)

ps. how to link char?

Okay shame - some people seem to know of a GWF that is doing great damage but with so little info about the possible specs I am eager for more info.

TBH I don't know how to link characters but was hoping you (or someone else would). ;)
  • Options
    fishcowfishcow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, dont play GWF. They so bad.

I want more loots for me.
    Je Bus is here to save you! (⊙ω⊙)
  • Options
    ragnarok1011ragnarok1011 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The did mess up with this class as he doesn't start doing real heavy dam until about 35 - 40. Here is a face masher build for you. Check this link.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?159741-Kartofflens-GWF-destroyer-compendium
  • Options
    mclearymcleary Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I started with the GWF, and I can definitely see an issue with this. I'm obviously being easily outclassed by rogues and wizzards in terms of damage, but I'm still able to deal with fights relatively easily.
    I can see a problem with Destroyer as a class feature for GWF early on. I can't see much use for this in solo play. The damage buff is small, though it becomes large over time. Problem is, fights usually don't last long enough for it to matter in solo play. We also don't have many realistic ways of getting a stack of this buff outside of group play. Most groups I encounter, I'll kill most of the mobs in the group in just 2 attacks, leaving only 1 or 2 left, meaning I can no longer get that Destroyer buff. I've spent more time fighting 1 or 2 enemies at a time, than I have fighting 3 or more, due to how fast I end up killing those weaker enemies that are part of the group.

In short, I've rarely been able to make use of the destroyer buff, and even when I can, the damage boost is so small, it likely doesn't matter anyway.
  • Options
    foxspirit13foxspirit13 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, all the min-maxing complaints aside (I'm kidding btw), are there any swords that aren't twice as long as the body? On a dwarf the greatsword is too long.

Also are there any other weapons besides swords for them to use, like hammers or axes?
  • Options
    smokeygbsmokeygb Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 65
    edited May 2013
    Lots of early hate for the GWF. I've played one to 34 in Closed Beta. After the patch before the last beta weekend early level GWF took a huge hit. A stark and noticeable change in DPS. I've heard he's a monster endgame but something must be done about the early.
  • Options
    bhuddzecksbhuddzecks Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dusknoire wrote: »

pick cleric companion... problem solved
  • Options
    veleriawhitewolfveleriawhitewolf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 68
    edited May 2013
    I have not had the problems the OP was mentioning yet, I played to 20 in BW3 and I am 16 in the current release. I have never purchased a potion, I am fighting most creatures including ogres and Eye's of Grummsh without any trouble and dodging most of the attacks easily with sprint on demand. I have done a few group missions and I have been second in DPS almost every time and my gear is not very good. mostly whites and greens I have found. It is probably an issue with people not understanding the paystyle or equipping all the gear you get from quests which is all defensive rather than the power/crit/penetration gear you find. I do see rogues seem to kill single monsters faster than I do but not by a large amount and I kill groups much faster than most other classes I see. Rather than say don't play this class I would instead just remind players this is an AOE DPS class which may not be what they are looking for.
  • Options
    magusdddmagusddd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've played a DC, CW, and GWF to lvl 20 so far. The GWF used the least amount of healing (the DC needed healing just not potions) than the other two classes combined. At 20 I have over 60 of the 1k health potions that I've looted, never bought any, and almost 20 of the 2k health potions.

Not sure of the difference between my play style and others, but there is something going on where I seem to take less damage and do more than the average person. I'm not saying that GWF doesn't suck at low level, because they do less damage, but they don't need that much healing.
  • Options
    cihuacoatlcihuacoatl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Get a cleric companion, problem solved.

That and learn how to dodge.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It is not so much that the GWF is totally useless it is just that leveling any other class (yes even the 'Tank' GF) up to about level 35-40 is so much easier and faster that it is unreal. And when you are in a group, well, lets put it this way: when playing a TR I'll almost always top the DPS charts in groups, on a CW I am either first or second, but on a GWF I am almost always last. And this is a very common theme from GWF players. Yes GWF is still playable, but the power gap between it and other classes, at least at lower levels, is enormous.

And that is not even getting into the worth of a short range low AOE damage class in PvP. Of course PvP isn't the main theme of this game, but there is a reason there are so many TR and CW there.
  • Options
    hemosiderinhemosiderin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What I am guessing is that you aren't even level 30 yet.

Instead of instantly complaining about a game that has been out for less than a week, try playing and waiting until you're a higher level.
  • Options
    tempestrotempestro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My problem is that the GWF's standard attack is an overhead-swing instead of a cleaving side swing.

I mean the defensive fighter's normal mouse attack hits like three mobs in an arc infront of him. The GWF's? Like one person before him unless they charge it up.

If anything they should have made his standard left-mouse attack a cleave attack.

I mean.. it's a two handed weapon. And yes, I know there's a charge up attack that does a lot of damage..
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    What I am guessing is that you aren't even level 30 yet.

You would guess wrong. Interesting aside: Founders Title display is optional.
  • Options
    darthtradgedydarthtradgedy Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    C'mon now guys, games now a days are too easy. Consider leveling a GWF a challenge. X3
  • Options
    dat555dat555 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've never even played this game before yesterday, but I got to 14 on my gwf quickly without buying a single potion.. In fact, I have like like 10+ pots just sitting in my inventory. This is just an issue of l2p. Dodge **** and use your heal attack on cooldown.. Not difficult.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    dat555 wrote: »
    I've never even played this game before yesterday, but I got to 14 on my gwf quickly without buying a single potion.. In fact, I have like like 10+ pots just sitting in my inventory. This is just an issue of l2p. Dodge **** and use your heal attack on cooldown.. Not difficult.

First few levels are okay - later on mob DPS tends to increase dramatically. Also while it isn't that hard to level a GWF any other class is much easier.
  • Options
    thegreeblerthegreebler Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2
    edited July 2013
    redburst wrote: »
    Seriously... I am no one who complains lightly but in all the years of playing MMO's i've never seen such a heavy design flaw in class balance yet.

The GWF feels like he's fighting with a toothpick instead of a two-handed sword.
    This is the first time that I consider changing my playstyle (and class) just because the class with the gamestyle I fancy is so horribly bad compared to the others.

Always the easy way with you; always the immediate reward.

But The Grobble is eternal; one who serves The Grobble never has to hurry. Rushing is how ungreebly things happen!

LEt me tell you a greebly tale.

The moment Greebo The Barbarian was born the world stood still; it was in this moment his uncle Greeblehard the Grobblejammer chopped off THE HEADS OF ALL ENEMIES AROUND HIM!!! And though he later died of his wounds (deleted himself to rename himself Greebo the Barbarian)... he slayed ALL THE UNGREEBLY WHO STOOD AGAINST HIM!!!

Now, Greebo was only a level 1 greebling... but he greebled through nonetheless.

When I wanna roll foundry? GWF my choice. ALWAYS. When I wanna roll a dungeon? GWF my choice.

I can tank, dps, and I got good companions, gear and lifesteal.

34 AC 30k health 1600 armor pen, 1200 lifesteal 1800 crit, 3500 power; AND AOE ATTACKS! EVERY ENEMY I HIT HEALS ME FOR 8% OF THE DAMAGE I DO!!! The ONLY thing that can put me down is the burst of a boss or focus fire in pvp; but all of that assumes the absence of a cleric.

Not knowing the boss fights will get anyone greebled 100%of the time, but that has nothing to do with the task at hand.

Want to see a fast Epic run?? Me 3 vet dps and 1 vet cleric that know their way around. Youll have GF crying 'imbalanced and unfair'. And we will walk outta there in 20 mins or less, boss dead, loot bags full of t2, good greeblings.

"You must dedicate yourself to the service of The Grobble, to really ever have a chance at greebling well."

These are the words of Warlord Greebo. Half-Orc Great Weapons Fighter; biggest meanest grobble in the land.

Heed them. For if you know not what you do, than how can you know what it is you say?

Good greeblings to all,
    GREEBLE GROBBLE!!!
This discussion has been closed.