test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Important Tanking Mechanic For Guardians!

2»

Comments

• Options
    lawionslawions Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What I'm much more annoyed by is the delay of Guard reacting, are you all in the US or how do the people with 180+ pings deal with the delay in guard reaction?
  • Options
    ugibugibugiugibugibugi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    im eu and got 120ms, havent had issues with it so far being too delayed.
  • Options
    hoistalldaybrohoistalldaybro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just hit the 30's with my GF and I am still taking a majority of the damage in any run that i do. I did that dragons layer dgn where i took 450k dmg while everyone else took 150k or less. You aren't meant to hold 100% aggro of everything but you without a doubt can hold a majority of the aggro through out the run. I can hold multiple elites on me with some small guys. Get the cool down reduction on your encounter skills and spam your shield jab in the right position and you should be good. I want to get higher levels to keep testing it out some more but as of right now for me i actually hold aggro and it does make a difference in the party.
  • Options
    kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Best Skills/powers (Both objective & subjective):

At Will:
    Cleave (You use this even at lvl 60 as Crushing Surge is too weak)
    Tide of Iron (Recovers your Guard the fastest, especially useful Vs Dragons)

Encounter:
    Lunging Strike (Only way you can get to a foe FAST)
    Griffon's Wrath (You get up to 3 of these and it stuns most foe, preventing them from attacking)
    Into The Fray (An ABSOLUTE MUST for Raiding parties. Swap it with something else when solo)
    Frontline Surge (Simply awesome when tagged with the Feat that increases foe prone duration)
    Bull Charge (Simply put, this end-game encounter knocks your foe off cliffs)

Dailies:
    Villain's Menace (Still the best even at lvl 60)
    Supremacy of Steel (Arguably the best power when used after suffering a huge hit)
    Indomitable Strength (Reminds one of a GWF when active)

Class:
    Depends on playstyle really, but I enjoy swapping between 4:

Solo - Combat Superiority and Enduring Warrior
    Raiding - Enhanced Mark and Shield Talent or Guarded Assault
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad
  • Options
    oreoz2573oreoz2573 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sorry if its been mentioned already but a little known fact that I completely missed is that strength contributes to how much guard you have. I'm sitting at 20 Con, 18 dex and 14 str so that's something ill want to get up to a reasonable level.

I believe your overall power also contributes to how well you hold aggro. I bought a couple DPS rings and upped it to a lil over 400 on top of my 700+ def and 250 deflection. I noticed an improvement in how well I could hold aggro.
    "If you're going through Hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cihuacoatlcihuacoatl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I posted some time ago that GF threat was broken. Now that I have gotten up in level it is not as much of an issue anymore. At lower levels below 35 I think there are serious issues. Though with the right Feats and Powers holding threat becomes less of an issue. Now granted Rogues can still pull threat away if they do not control themselves and I honestly see no issue with this. I think strong DPS classes should have to manage themselves.

Please note that I am a tactics Guardian so my ability to hold threat might be much easier than other builds. Then again it should be that way too.
  • Options
    ugibugibugiugibugibugi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    threat building is by far not broken, its just different from other mmos. learn how to exploit enhanced mark and you are golden.
  • Options
    oreoz2573oreoz2573 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    threat building is by far not broken, its just different from other mmos. learn how to exploit enhanced mark and you are golden.

Care to elaborate? Lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    arktourosxarktourosx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    oreoz2573 wrote: »
    Care to elaborate? Lol

The idea is to keep your Mark on the target and deal as much damage as possible while keeping it on. So for example use Enraged Threat -> Villain's Menace for massive AOE threat and then keep Guard up while using the Stab move to keep building more and more threat. Another classic move against single targets is Mark, then spam 3 hits with the Griffon attack which is a huge amount of damage/threat.

Basically Mark gives you double threat. Then Improved Mark gives you +100% additional threat (so a total of 300-400% threat) making your seemingly "bad" amounts of damage actually be pretty high threat.
    nwsignature.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    arktourosx wrote: »
    The idea is to keep your Mark on the target and deal as much damage as possible while keeping it on. So for example use Enraged Threat -> Villain's Menace for massive AOE threat and then keep Guard up while using the Stab move to keep building more and more threat. Another classic move against single targets is Mark, then spam 3 hits with the Griffon attack which is a huge amount of damage/threat.

Basically Mark gives you double threat. Then Improved Mark gives you +100% additional threat (so a total of 300-400% threat) making your seemingly "bad" amounts of damage actually be pretty high threat.

Yeah that's what I try to do. It's a actually kinda fun trying to keep from getting hit. As annoying as it can be, I think it encourages tanks to actually tank. Lol I soloed Cloak tower last night at lvl 25. It took about an hour and a half but it was good practice at guarding against bosses and elite mobs (especially those battle-tested orcs who tend to just pulverize your guard).

Does anybody here find Knight's Challenge useful? I typically slot it in before a boss fight to serve as my "oh s**t" button in case the boss gets away and tries to eat the cleric. Lol
    I keep enforced threat to pick up adds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dietaryfiber111dietaryfiber111 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Anyone know if the last class skill, the one that heals you 1% (3% maxed) for killing something works in parties? As in if my party member kills something I at the very least tag, the skill activates?
  • Options
    kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ^THIS. 10x THIS.
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad
  • Options
    novronnovron Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Tank with your back against a wall or better, from a corner. Give your group easy back shots on the mobs and protect your own backside. Seems to be the obvious solution.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    oreoz2573 wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I try to do. It's a actually kinda fun trying to keep from getting hit. As annoying as it can be, I think it encourages tanks to actually tank. Lol I soloed Cloak tower last night at lvl 25. It took about an hour and a half but it was good practice at guarding against bosses and elite mobs (especially those battle-tested orcs who tend to just pulverize your guard).

Does anybody here find Knight's Challenge useful? I typically slot it in before a boss fight to serve as my "oh s**t" button in case the boss gets away and tries to eat the cleric. Lol
    I keep enforced threat to pick up adds.

at low level the threat system aint as great, and yes even at 60 you will lose threat once a while... but you can keep 100% uptime on aggro, heck, sometimes the better solution is to hit fast, guard 2-3 hits and RUN! because this aint WoW, this aint tank and spank, you have to actually move with the adds following your ***.

normally using the threatening rush -> frontline surge, is the best upstarter, because of its low cast time you can get it off with mark on all in the packs. Plus the 2-3 cleave attacks before they get up, go guard some hits, but dont panic if 1 of the lesser mobs run away, rather keep your focus on the elites. This aggro system aint meant for you to be the only one tanking/kiting all the time, its impossible to keep 100% uptime when suddently the boss spawns 20 useless adds. hence why i love using the knight's valor, for those occations where a lot of small adds spawn.

Give breathing room to your team controlling the hard hitters, while letting the smaller ones if too many run rampant, and just mitigate the damage to your team with valor, prone attacks etc.

Offtopic: im still wondering how the aggro indicator works, any who have figured it completely?
  • Options
    dtrain69dtrain69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Something to keep in mind that i find helpful when tanking mobs that port around is that while holding down "ctrl" it will lock you on the mob. So for the mobs that port around if you lock on when he ports you will instantly be facing the right way again.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    found the ctrl button system to be annoying, would have loved if it was made into a toggle function instead.
  • Options
    xirrixirri Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Alright, having long and hard pondered on this and bashed my head against lair of the mad dragon, I have began to realise my efforts at going all out defensive were squandered. I feel its upto me to pick up the slack of controllers and damage dealers if cleric gets too much aggro, as it supposedly should be, and peel those fellows off the mad threat generator machines we so much love and sometimes hate.

Dont get me wrong, I love tactician. Into The Fray movespeed and damageboost is epic, you can snap singletarget aggro easily and your marks give friendlies less damage received. With potions and healer companion, no matter how much the companion keeps dropping, you are pretty much selfsustained even without clerical intervention.

However, when all your stuff is on cooldown, and it STILL wasnt enough to get those imps interested in your hairy halfling *** you just get mad. And then they chomp down the cleric. And youre ******.

To that extend, I dont think neither the protector tree or the tactician tree provide the ultimate tool we need in these cluster**** add-fests.

DAMAGE!

Damage, some more, and then some ontop of it. I want to pop Terrifying Impact and I want to see minions vanish into a gory mess on my screen, not have it tickle their feeble bottoms like a gentle feather causing them to rush even faster to eat that cleric. I dont want to swing Cleave 10 times to kill a minion in a dungeon, I want to swing cleave THRICE and destroy everything on my screen since thats pretty much the ultimate tanking. Theres no question whatever we choose will survive better than rest of the party members, our endgame (currently) itemization makes sure of that. So I'll just remake as a human, get that 24 strenght and gem the **** out of gear into POWER to fuel my desire to become the one - true - Conqueror!

This is just rough plan, it might epicly fail but I'll still lay it out for the folks that stumble on this thread in the feeble hopes it might help someone:

Human, str 18 con 16 dex 12 int 10 wis 10 cha 10 as starting stats, always raise strenght and con.

Heroic feats; Strenght Focus 3/3, Toughness 3/3, Shielded Resurgence 3/3, Armor Specialization 3/3, Powerful Attack 5/5, Grit 3/3, Weapon Mastery 3/3.

Paragon Feats; Take Measure 5/5, Wrathful Warrior 5/5, Cruel Cut Style 5/5, Staggering Challenge 5/5, Tactical Superiority 5/5, Reckless Attacker 1/1

For the last five points, its a tossup between Menacing Impact and Fight On depending on what dailies you end up using.

Speaking of powers, for at-wills its Cleave and Threatening Rush, encounters are Knights Challenge and Griffons Wrath, the third depending on whats best for situation and dailies I am a strong supporter for Villains Menace and Terrifying Impact. They may be the first ones you get, but there really is no contender when you want to do high amount of aoe damage in a line. Hell, it even works wonders with Knights Challenge and bosses, slap a mark and challenge on a boss, position yourself behind some adds facing the boss and wreck face while keeping attention focused on you with that sweet, sweet damage number that hopefully crits all over the line.

Alright, that was a long ramble and it feels good having gotten it out of my chest. Ofcourse this is a subjective opinion and at the moment just theorycrafting, but gimme a week and I'll come back to you guys with tales of glory or tears of defeat. Either way it goes, I'm sure it'll be more fun than turtling at the face of the boss.

Some say "Peace out!", to you I say "War out!"
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    so far havent liked using griffons wrath, because its attack animation locks you too long to block for keeping marks up, frontline surge, been working wonders to put in after a rush to build a fast aggro.
  • Options
    athrailathrail Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks to OP for clarifying tanking mechanism. I tried tanking yesterday and thanks to good party nobody died but mobs where flying everywhere. Tried tanking like in all other MMO's I've played. Thanks again :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Warriors at heart. Gamers by choice.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    xirri wrote: »
    Alright, having long and hard pondered on this and bashed my head against lair of the mad dragon, I have began to realise my efforts at going all out defensive were squandered. I feel its upto me to pick up the slack of controllers and damage dealers if cleric gets too much aggro, as it supposedly should be, and peel those fellows off the mad threat generator machines we so much love and sometimes hate.

Dont get me wrong, I love tactician. Into The Fray movespeed and damageboost is epic, you can snap singletarget aggro easily and your marks give friendlies less damage received. With potions and healer companion, no matter how much the companion keeps dropping, you are pretty much selfsustained even without clerical intervention.

However, when all your stuff is on cooldown, and it STILL wasnt enough to get those imps interested in your hairy halfling *** you just get mad. And then they chomp down the cleric. And youre ******.

To that extend, I dont think neither the protector tree or the tactician tree provide the ultimate tool we need in these cluster**** add-fests.

DAMAGE!

Damage, some more, and then some ontop of it. I want to pop Terrifying Impact and I want to see minions vanish into a gory mess on my screen, not have it tickle their feeble bottoms like a gentle feather causing them to rush even faster to eat that cleric. I dont want to swing Cleave 10 times to kill a minion in a dungeon, I want to swing cleave THRICE and destroy everything on my screen since thats pretty much the ultimate tanking. Theres no question whatever we choose will survive better than rest of the party members, our endgame (currently) itemization makes sure of that. So I'll just remake as a human, get that 24 strenght and gem the **** out of gear into POWER to fuel my desire to become the one - true - Conqueror!

This is just rough plan, it might epicly fail but I'll still lay it out for the folks that stumble on this thread in the feeble hopes it might help someone:

Human, str 18 con 16 dex 12 int 10 wis 10 cha 10 as starting stats, always raise strenght and con.

Heroic feats; Strenght Focus 3/3, Toughness 3/3, Shielded Resurgence 3/3, Armor Specialization 3/3, Powerful Attack 5/5, Grit 3/3, Weapon Mastery 3/3.

Paragon Feats; Take Measure 5/5, Wrathful Warrior 5/5, Cruel Cut Style 5/5, Staggering Challenge 5/5, Tactical Superiority 5/5, Reckless Attacker 1/1

For the last five points, its a tossup between Menacing Impact and Fight On depending on what dailies you end up using.

Speaking of powers, for at-wills its Cleave and Threatening Rush, encounters are Knights Challenge and Griffons Wrath, the third depending on whats best for situation and dailies I am a strong supporter for Villains Menace and Terrifying Impact. They may be the first ones you get, but there really is no contender when you want to do high amount of aoe damage in a line. Hell, it even works wonders with Knights Challenge and bosses, slap a mark and challenge on a boss, position yourself behind some adds facing the boss and wreck face while keeping attention focused on you with that sweet, sweet damage number that hopefully crits all over the line.

Alright, that was a long ramble and it feels good having gotten it out of my chest. Ofcourse this is a subjective opinion and at the moment just theorycrafting, but gimme a week and I'll come back to you guys with tales of glory or tears of defeat. Either way it goes, I'm sure it'll be more fun than turtling at the face of the boss.

Some say "Peace out!", to you I say "War out!"

I've been thinking about that dragon fight and I think it's one of those fights that benefits from having two tanks present to exchange aggro and alternate CDs.

That said I'm interested to hear if your ROFLstomp method works.
    Tbh I'm worried it will as that was the issue we encountered in Gw2. No matter what the mechanics, if you could dodge correctly, a damage build was the way to go and the boss insta-died.

If you are successful, then I hope it's with some degree of difficulty. If its easy, then it will surely become the norm and thats bad.

I like the soft trinity they've got going and I'd like it to be balanced enough do that one method doesn't trump all others.

That said, I completely missed the fact that STR influences your guard. Lol I'm at lvl 26 with 14 STR, 20 CON and 18 DEX so all my future increases are going into STR lmao
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xirrixirri Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Humorously, soloing is faster and more efficient when you block only when you NEED to block, elite and boss power attacks and let the minions just rip on your hp bar whilst cleaving them away. I'm getting up in levels way faster than my defensive halfling ever did!

However, its a thin line of being able to finish a quest without using one potion or not, sometimes I manage it and sometimes I get too cleave happy and need to use a small potion per dungeon. Not that its a huge loss, one quest usually drops you 4-5 potions or so, you'll still get ahead!
  • Options
    valetudo78valetudo78 Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    After you hit the 30s you need too change your tactics as a tank. Like when you fight the werewolf boss, you want to mark than run from her. You then want to attack adds as they appear. I use a combo of lunging strike and the atwill( I forget its name) that marks as a aoe. Keep spreading the marks and occasionally attack her with your dailies.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    There! New character as I said, new stats and whatchamacallits. New try with a non-pick up group. Downed the dragon three times until I got bored of it! This is the first try, and admittably the one which took the longest! Enjoy, those who wanna see how dragon fight is supposed to be done. And yes, it lasts around an half'n hour.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzlcvt_neverwinter-lair-of-the-mad-dragon_videogames