test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can't connect to log-in server, all morning

gillman58gillman58 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello: I know its early days. I know the flood gates opened yesterday. But by buying the previously sold Hero packs and such, I thought I would at least get to play. Looking like my head start will come to naught as the down time the last two days is equaling it all out.

I thought they had made contingency plans for this type of thing? Surely we've learned from the previous 6 million MMO releases???

So I wait..........and wait.................
Post edited by gillman58 on

Comments

• Options
    smauztssmauzts Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    .... It's mainentence.. Read, you halfling!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mythrildragonmythrildragon Member Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    someone didn't get the memo..
  • Options
    whitetalpawhitetalpa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    maintenance servers should in back in around 2hrs from now
  • Options
    gillman58gillman58 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seriously? No I never got the memo. ./em turns red, coughs and mutters something about world peace.
  • Options
    infi321infi321 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    life is hard, its even harder if youre dumb
    "Your story may not last forever; but it will exist forever"
  • Options
    sayassayas Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Awww why the hate for halflings?
  • Options
    doctormonkeedoctormonkee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    infi321 wrote: »
    life is hard, its even harder if youre dumb

Unfortunately, Darwinism no longer applies to the general population =( Otherwise, I'd agree with this statement wholeheartedly.
  • Options
    elecjesterelecjester Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's called being cheap stingy (insert your own colourful word here).

and that is the bottom line.

Companies don't want to buy servers, and they refuse to rent servers for launch and then later merge servers because they are afraid of perception.

Yet at the same time, making people wait hours / days to even get in to the game - doesn't seem phase them at all.

On one hand they have stated they have AMPLE space and that the servers aren't anywhere near load - yet we get stuck in queues waiting utterly ridiculous times.

So someone is talking a huge load of BS.

Now let the mods come in and lock this thread too right after a couple of rabid fanbois flame away.
  • Options
    darkfie1ddarkfie1d Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sayas wrote: »

Probably because of their height since they can't see the announcement board well enough from down there.
  • Options
    trollsparrowtrollsparrow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 45
    edited May 2013
    I lol'ed at this thread.
  • Options
    novakaynnovakayn Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elecjester wrote: »

Companies don't want to buy servers, and they refuse to rent servers for launch and then later merge servers because they are afraid of perception.

Yet at the same time, making people wait hours / days to even get in to the game - doesn't seem phase them at all.

On one hand they have stated they have AMPLE space and that the servers aren't anywhere near load - yet we get stuck in queues waiting utterly ridiculous times.

Now let the mods come in and lock this thread too right after a couple of rabid fanbois flame away.

Where is the rage quit? C'mon! give us the rage quit!
  • Options
    fayebornfayeborn Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    It doesn't matter. Likely you would have sat in a queue for the equivalent time of maintenance anyhow.

Ok, well I exaggerated. I logged in at 9:05 EST and had a 7k+ queue. I started working a bit and alt-tabbed back and it was at 241k queue. I went back to work and at 9:45 it was at 3700. Then it flickered and let me in. I had enough time to get a rogue to level 4 while they worked on server communication before they shut down.

I don't know if multiple people logged off because of maintenance or if the queue is really only 45 minutes to an hour long but it should be open again in another 1.5-2 hours.

Then we can get back in queue.
  • Options
    proceduralprocedural Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013

They've actually said that servers are near capacity. I think it's in a stickied thread.

But the rest, I agree with. Companies assume that the "beta rush" will die down and then they'll have unused servers, but like you said, A) they could just rent servers, and B) most of that "beta rush" that dies down is likely made up of people who try to login, see "you are position 107,697 in queue" and say, "Well, the hell with this."
  • Options
    sergeypoo03sergeypoo03 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this sucks =(
  • Options
    moonshineflymoonshinefly Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    how to check server status?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Apparently all those who call me a Halfling, aren't all there either. I'll have you know I'm a Half-Elf, and terrifically proud of it. mkay?
  • Options
    darkfie1ddarkfie1d Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Why so serious? Have you ever played a MMORPG before? Even WoW which is perceived as the most popular MMO and is subscription based has weekly maintenance. Never seen you around bnet forums ranting about it. And NW is still in beta, they are working tirelessly to address the issues that we all have.

Being a raging lunatic and ranting about random things that you don't have any clues on how they work is no better than blind fanboyism. Just because you paid 60 bucks for a founder package it doesn't entitled you to act like a (insert your own colourful word here) around the forums.
  • Options
    ednogronednogron Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Guess they are really trying to fix something as after the maintenance is supposed to be over it is still ongoing. Guess I won't be playing till I get back from work.
    Guild - Ruinous -- Server - Mindflayer
    AMD FX8350, 16gb DDR 3, MSI GTX 460 Hawk Talon Attack
  • Options
    novakaynnovakayn Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    how to check server status?

On the login screen at the top is a little dot that is either Green (server up) or red (server down) it actually says server status.

at the bottom of the type there is another red lettering on black background note that states the reason is due to the server maintenance. IMHO, they might need to rethink this to make sure it is not so easily overlooked.

FYI, if your login screen does not come up. Means the whole freakin thing is not working or you do not have internet connectivity! :p
  • Options
    rabbiddograbbiddog Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sayas wrote: »

So much this. I LOVE halflings. C'mon, who doesn't love the little scamps? :D
  • Options
    stubbinmytoestubbinmytoe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013

You appear to be clueless about how networks, servers, and clusters work. The fact that you only see 3 titles on a server select, has ZERO bearing on the number of servers handling the instances running on each one. In other words each one has a cluster of servers, this is the way NEW games work, OLD games such as WoW have a 1:1 ratio of server name to server. The NEW way is much easier to scale, the WoW way is lame and old, harder to scale.
    That is basically how it works without getting into details.

Now stop looking stupid with comments such as yours. Also remember the game is FREE, don't like it, don't play.
  • Options
    syphilaidssyphilaids Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the launcher is not loading properly for me either
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    gillman58 wrote: »
    Apparently all those who call me a Halfling, aren't all there either. I'll have you know I'm a Half-Elf, and terrifically proud of it. mkay?

Now half elves... we can do without those. C'mon, what are you, a elf, a human? Make up your mind already. :)
  • Options
    valdoraxvaldorax Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Looks like they came out with the patch, but yeah, the launcher just sits at a white screen so far. Hmph.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Stand up, stand up..for your rights!
    No woman, no man.
  • Options
    tolstoytonytolstoytony Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    once again foiled while trying to play during work ..
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Posted aproximately 30 minutes ago:
    Hey All,

Things are currently progressing as planned. No change to the ETA at this time. Still planning on being online around 11am/2 hours from now.

That's 11AM PDT BTW.
  • Options
    valdoraxvaldorax Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ednogron wrote: »
    Guess they are really trying to fix something as after the maintenance is supposed to be over it is still ongoing. Guess I won't be playing till I get back from work.

Not true, It said right in the patcher in red letters that the maintenance would be from 7-11 PDT. It's not 11 PDT yet.
  • Options
    captncarnage25captncarnage25 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    it is still doing this to me, the whole white box doing nothing thing. has there been an announcement or anything?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    *Facepalm*

Sigh!