test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can dungeons be made HARDER please?

mltdwnmltdwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 73
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Maybe it's just me, but dungeons are way too easy and require little to no thought. Every group I have ran through dungeons in go through them like ADD riddled pre-teens who just ate a nice big bowl of crack, zerging every group, mowing them down and moving on to the next without any need for pause, completing them in like 1/3-1/4 of the predicted time. Would be nice if they were actually challenges that required everyone to be on the top of their game (or at least the higher end), and required at least some form of downtime and risk than the current 5 man zerg rush they are right now. Think the only one I've had any trouble with was the final boss on the Mad Dragon dungeon and the last time I did it was BW3 so it may have changed. But the rest are inconsequential, just zerg and then at the final battle burn down the boss before worrying about adds. At least the solo quest boss fights felt like epic battles post lvl 30/35, but the group dungeons leave quite a bit to be desired in terms of both regular mob strength and boss battles.

On that note, did no one test the solo high level content at 60 (the Illithid home) because quite frankly I'm wondering how that is expected to be completed solo as much of the time there is 3-4 "multi-bubble hitpoint" mobs and 2-5 regular mobs which burn you down inside of 5 seconds or less with their massive damage cones and AoEs, and cone and AoE stuns.

I got lucky and there were some other people around doing the same quests so we just went in and killed them together since everyone gets kill credit regardless of grouping, but given they aren't shown as (Party) quests I would think they would be reasonably solo-able. Note, this was attempting them at lvl 60 with a 7,000 gear score which is high enough to get into all but the 8300 gear score epic difficulty dungeons (which I BELIEVE are the Tier-IIs).
Post edited by mltdwn on

Comments

• Options
    layonhandslayonhands Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Welcome to Lowest Common Denominator!

End-game content is harder.
    Your divine touch instantly heals wounds.
  • Options
    cihuacoatlcihuacoatl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have found solo stuff is not that bad.. bring a friend or 2 and things get much harder. The dungeons seem to scale with the number of folks in your party. Group>Solo if you like difficulty... not to mention it allows you to play your 'role'.
  • Options
    zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, the solo content hitting 60 was a decent challenge. So I went into my first epic dungeon expecting good things. Zerged through it quicker than I did the base version of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    breathabreatha Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just wanted to say that your sig really amuses me. +like. Thank you
    -Breatha, the fat and sassy Dwarf
  • Options
    volkiravolkira Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mltdwn wrote: »
    At least the solo quest boss fights felt like epic battles post lvl 30/35, but the group dungeons leave quite a bit to be desired in terms of both regular mob strength and boss battles.

On that note, did no one test the solo high level content at 60 (the Illithid home).

I'm a level 45 control wizard and I haven't found the Single player boss fights epic.All of them have been pretty easy ok maybe a few tense moments but not more.
    Though I can imagine as a tank they probably are alot harder to deal with.

Wasn't the 50 to 60 level stuff only just made available.From my understanding these levels were not made available in the beta weekends.So I can only imagine closed beta guys may have got their hands on these quests.So not sure how much balancing went tinto those end tier levels.

I found the D&D online dungeons more exciting with their hidden traps.At least in that game people waited behind the thief or rogue to disarm traps or find secret rooms.
  • Options
    kurse777kurse777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They need some balance tweaking for sure. As a thief I can put a blindfold on and press the attack key and win vs a dozen opponents, hardly being injured. Not fun. Every once in a great great while they do throw something challenging pretty darn rare. At lvl 30 now I died one time due to being disconnected.
  • Options
    ugibugibugiugibugibugi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    epic cloak and crypt is a joke... but come back when you have completed dread vault :D
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mltdwn wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, ...

It's just you.

Really, it is. Wait until you get to level 60 before you start proclaiming things are too easy.
    Srsly. plz.
  • Options
    vamperovampero Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As you level the harder they get to solo for sure ! Play the game and have fun !:p
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    epic cloak and crypt is a joke... but come back when you have completed dread vault :D

Well, they are the basic entry level epic dungeons, and like any game they are there to get you up to speed and some better gear. If you look at the info screen, it shows you the gear rating you need, and those are the lowest. I'm sure people will be farming them for seals and gear to get to harder ones.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I stopped listening to screams of "it's too easy" when Blizzard outed a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ton of people making the same claim who never once stepped foot in the dungeons.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Try playing a GF and call everything " easy " go for it see what happens wizard nerds .
  • Options
    badwrongbadwrong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 8
    edited May 2013
    It's just you.

Really, it is. Wait until you get to level 60 before you start proclaiming things are too easy.
    Srsly. plz.

I've been 60 for 3 days now. The level 60 content is also very easy, and in many cases easier since you are focused on better gear.

I'm hoping the top tier of epic dungeons are harder, since the first two tiers have been extremely faceroll. 99% of the mechanics are just "dont stand in the stupid" and "kill adds".

Of course, so many MMO players still stuck at those two things... so maybe this is all we get, at least for now.

tfangel wrote: »
    Well, they are the basic entry level epic dungeons, and like any game they are there to get you up to speed and some better gear. If you look at the info screen, it shows you the gear rating you need, and those are the lowest. I'm sure people will be farming them for seals and gear to get to harder ones.
    The next tier (non-entry level dungeons) is barely any different so far. And the silly part was I had the gearscore to queue for the second tier after being level 60 for a few hours and a few entry-level runs.

I wouldn't want weeks or months of grind to get the gearscore for the later tiers... but a few hours?
  • Options
    tickledpinkstickledpinks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Run the foundry Dungeon Cragskeep..you'll be thrilled for at least 2-3 hours of severely challenging content. Best Fun I've had in game since the beginning.Do NOT attempt solo unless you have an ample amount of potions.
  • Options
    rkoperrkoper Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why should we have to wait until level 60 for challenging content. I'm only in my 20's but haven't died yet, and everything is a faceroll. How is that fun? No risk at all to anything, even in dungeons. That's like the opposite of fun for me. I'm enjoying myself because the combat mechanics are new but once that wears off, it's not going to be much fun following the sparkly trail and mowing stuff down over and over again.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    cihuacoatl wrote: »
    I have found solo stuff is not that bad.. bring a friend or 2 and things get much harder. The dungeons seem to scale with the number of folks in your party. Group>Solo if you like difficulty... not to mention it allows you to play your 'role'.

I'm talking about the group dungeons (i.e. Idirs, Cloaktower, etc.) they are literally being ran in like 15-30 minutes (when they are 45 minutes expected) because all they are are zerg. No one gets close to dying, there is no feeling of risk or danger, it's just run into middle of huge group of enemies, burn them down in a few seconds, move into next group of mobs with out pause as there is zero need to rest.

I'm a level 45 control wizard and I haven't found the Single player boss fights epic.All of them have been pretty easy ok maybe a few tense moments but not more.

Maybe 30 was the wrong level range... It was when you do the great wolf boss that they started being challenging due to massive uses of AoE from the boss and multiple adds so you have to really make sure you got your movement and damage avoidance down to prevent being smashed into the ground in like 5 seconds due to massive damage AoEs and stuns surrounding you. As opposed to the previous bosses where you could pretty much sit there and pound on him with your healing pet out with no risk.
  • Options
    wakerglasswakerglass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    ganjaman1 wrote: »
    Try playing a GF and call everything " easy " go for it see what happens wizard nerds .

haha i heard they're pretty wrecked right now? what's wrong with them exactly?

i do agree with the op about the game being a breeze, though. maybe the GF is the only class that ISN'T broken?
  • Options
    slashcryslashcry Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree, nothing about the facerolling going on right now is fun.
  • Options
    zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Try Foundry content. Some of it will knock your socks off. Try playing the ones that say group recommended, and play it solo!
  • Options
    kurse777kurse777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That is true I tried the dweomer one I forget the exact name. It started off easy but towards the end I had to run away and hide and heal. A little excitement FTW.
  • Options
    redshift2k5redshift2k5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 241 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    rkoper wrote: »
    Why should we have to wait until level 60 for challenging content. I'm only in my 20's but haven't died yet, and everything is a faceroll. How is that fun? No risk at all to anything, even in dungeons. That's like the opposite of fun for me. I'm enjoying myself because the combat mechanics are new but once that wears off, it's not going to be much fun following the sparkly trail and mowing stuff down over and over again.

Are you using the Greycloaks Legacy founder pack weapon? Because from level 1-20 it's a thousand times better than any level-appropriate gear, early 20s it peters off and begins to be on par with loot drops. I did not find a better weapon until level 24, so every dungeon/skirmish/pvp before that is essentially moot because I had the +1 stick of powerleveling.
  • Options
    ise3kittyise3kitty Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It needs to be harder, I will stop playing if they don't make it harder. Traps need to do more damage and mobs need to be harder.
  • Options
    tickledpinkstickledpinks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    seriously..foundry content created by players (some of it) is heads and shoulders above the regular content in difficulty and story line.
    I ran one and I swear the end boss fight was an actual "live" player.
  • Options
    silverias7silverias7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The point is, you shouldn't have to wait until you're level 60 for the game to stop being too easy. Getting to 60 should be a challenge in and of itself, you know? The dungeons are cool, but we need more deadly traps, better secrets, and tougher creatures.
  • Options
    ise3kittyise3kitty Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This^^

Also, once I can log in again(i get stuck at connecting to server) I will try some player created content. see what its like.
  • Options
    slashcryslashcry Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Foundry is a nice distraction, but the main, fulfilling, content has to be from their Dungeons. Unfortunately, as it is now, it's not fulfilling at all.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    zovya wrote: »
    Try Foundry content. Some of it will knock your socks off. Try playing the ones that say group recommended, and play it solo!

Maybe so, but the publisher developed content should set the "standard". If they set the standard at face rolling everything that is what it is going to be the "standard". Also you can't queue for foundry content so unless you have specific people you know who want to run the group content on line at the time you are out of luck (except maybe solo).
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Do yourself a favor..look for "Cragskeep"(at the top of the list in Foundry) I don't know the creator but try to go in with a fairly empty inventory and lots of pots and Injury packs. I went in with my BF and wow..my butt stayed clenched throughout the entire dungeon crawl..we got to the last fight and I was like "no way you gotta be kidding me."
    Usually I run a foundry to level cause Im typically ready for the next area but cant take the quests because of my low level..that specific foundry dungeon is a good 3 hour run though so be prepared.
  • Options
    ugibugibugiugibugibugi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    tfangel wrote: »

OBJECTION! o/ dread vault is a level 58 dungeon, not even epic, and it is harder than the first 2 epics. im not defending that the game aint getting challenging, but feels weird that the epic starter dungeons are easier than a level 58 NON-epic dungeon.

Ps. this is not a "too hard, go nerf" it is "put everything else on par with dread vault or higher! give us a challenge!" :D
  • Options
    xratasxratas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Got my first non-PvP death at level 32 while playing Rogue. Everything before that was rather easy, but now bosses seem to require much more careful playing and timing.

Also end fight in Gragmire Crypts almost killed my random party today, I was only one not taken down in it. I've heard Mad Dragon's Lair boss fight is not too easy either, but I think I'll see that soon enough.

IMO dungeons should be quite challenging and solo questing quite easy. So that casual player can reasonably play through solo content, but meets serious challenge in dungeons. And Raids could be even harder, they are quick, after all.