test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Changing appearance should be free

blackphoenixbgblackphoenixbg Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Let me start by saying i spend pretty much an hour changing around sliders and options in the creation menu until i thought i was happy. And of course as in many games it all goes in game, when a single ray of different light or different angle changes everything.

I love Cryptic, i love how Cryptic gave us the ability to freely change some aspects of our heroes in previous games. Those options are free (so to speak) in both Star trek online and Champions online. Because it's all on the same engine - the character models were never the strong points of none of those games - including Neverwinter. But at least there is the option to change everything we want for mere ingame currency.

And then Perfect World bought Cryptic , Took control of the making of Neverwinter and immediately put everything they could under the zen section - slapping a price tag on everything they could, even on things that were not necessarily and free in previous titles. I guess most of you will call it f2p business model, I call it pure greed.

So tell me, if the tailor was a free option in the past games, what changes now and why should it be a cash store option ?
Post edited by blackphoenixbg on

Comments

• edwardloxaredwardloxar Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If anything, it should be astral crystals or gold, not in the cash store.
    Is it possible to buy new character slots in the cash store? or can u only get the additional 3 slots if you splash out and give the greedy people $200
  • hipolipolopigushipolipolopigus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    PWE won't change their position on it. They never have. Unfortunately your options are; deal with it, buy a change or boycott Neverwinter (Which won't do anything because PWE will still have money thrown at them).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want to know why Neverwinter is so laggy? Check out the "Latency" section in this thread.
  • gnostergnoster Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can buy extra character slots (2 at a time) in the Zen store, can't remeber the exact price, but it's not a lot.

Regarding a change character appearance for free idea, while I do understand where you're coming from (I have redone my elven control wizard five times myself, and will again desperately trying to remove that weird looking head and neck angle from the body, though I think it's impossible), I just don't see it happening. I have never played any F2P or B2P game, where such a thing is free. It is just too "easy" an option for a cash shop item, it's purely cosmetic, the demand is medium to high sooner or later, and no one can start af pay 2 win debate over the look of a character.

I can't remeber the price of character appearance change, but I do support them charging for it, as long as it's not like $10 for each token. At least in a MMO we get the opportunity, in most single player RPGs it is not an option and one is stuck with a weird looking character due to the lighting being bad ingame where as it was fine in the character creation screen. Personally I would prefer an "ingame previewer", where you could walk around testing the character instead.
  • thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    respeccing should be free.
  • gnostergnoster Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thevlaka wrote: »
    respeccing should be free.

Well free as in paid for by ingame gold coins, and not AD or Zen.
  • thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gnoster wrote: »
    Well free as in paid for by ingame gold coins, and not AD or Zen.

yes exactly :)
    Gold is redundant as it stands.
  • jimb0wolfjimb0wolf Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think it's a little over the top to expect to change appearance for free, I mean the game is free-to-play for christ sake :D They gotta get money from somewhere...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"A day without laughter is a day wasted" - Charlie Chaplin
  • cetra07cetra07 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Let me start by saying i spend pretty much an hour changing around sliders and options in the creation menu until i thought i was happy. And of course as in many games it all goes in game, when a single ray of different light or different angle changes everything.

I love Cryptic, i love how Cryptic gave us the ability to freely change some aspects of our heroes in previous games. Those options are free (so to speak) in both Star trek online and Champions online. Because it's all on the same engine - the character models were never the strong points of none of those games - including Neverwinter. But at least there is the option to change everything we want for mere ingame currency.

And then Perfect World bought Cryptic , Took control of the making of Neverwinter and immediately put everything they could under the zen section - slapping a price tag on everything they could, even on things that were not necessarily and free in previous titles. I guess most of you will call it f2p business model, I call it pure greed.

So tell me, if the tailor was a free option in the past games, what changes now and why should it be a cash store option ?

how about demanding for free bags, potions, companions, mounts as well?
  • limitationxlimitationx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think things like haircuts should be free.. but the rest I can understand why it's chargeable.

I don't know what some people expect from a F2P game, they have to make there money somehow -.-
  • amad0riusamad0rius Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    guyz this just are open beta, we should wait) i think it'z will be free :)
  • xenogias1xenogias1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Most games, in particular f2p games charge for facelifts. There are plenty of other things they are charging for that will drive away potential customers much faster than cosmetic changes. As someone else said, charging for a respect is a bad idea. I don't know, I haven't looked at the cash shop yet (haven't been willing to sit in queue long enough) but from what I am told about it by friends the game itself has a lot of potential but its the typical PWI cash shop (which is all it takes for a whole lot of people to say F it.).
  • hipolipolopigushipolipolopigus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    amad0rius wrote: »
    guyz this just are open beta, we should wait) i think it'z will be free :)

OB is PWE's term for release, they think it absolves them of all responsibility.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want to know why Neverwinter is so laggy? Check out the "Latency" section in this thread.
  • xenogias1xenogias1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think things like haircuts should be free.. but the rest I can understand why it's chargeable.

I don't know what some people expect from a F2P game, they have to make there money somehow -.-

What do some people expect? Cash shops like GW2, PoE, LoL, and a few others. Mainly cosmetic items along with things like renames, bags, bank space, character slots, ect are the most popular western cash shops. I said in my other post and I'll say it again, I haven't seen the shop for myself yet so I'm waiting to decide just how bad it is. It may not be as bad as some people and my friends are making it out to be. But when my friends tell me its the typical PWI cash shop that doesn't give me much hope.

The "they have to make money somehow" argument is a tired argument. Plenty of other f2p games have shown how not to be considered one of the greediest f2p companies (PWI not the cryptic devs) and still make money hand over fist.
  • am0nr3xam0nr3x Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    NM.

/10char
  • limitationxlimitationx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    [QUOTE=xenogias1;2387591

The "they have to make money somehow" argument is a tired argument. Plenty of other f2p games have shown how not to be considered one of the greediest f2p companies (PWI not the cryptic devs) and still make money hand over fist.[/QUOTE]

It's not really an argument, more of a statement - they need income from somewhere and in my opinion,
  • blackphoenixbgblackphoenixbg Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cetra07 wrote: »
    how about demanding for free bags, potions, companions, mounts as well?

And am i asking for this ?

Im just asking for something that has always been free in Cryptic's games, before the money hungry PW took over.
    The more i think of it, the more hilarious it gets. 200 zen for a single character edit. It doesn't matter if i want to change a single tiny slider or color - or remake everything, the price is the same in both case..

Now, the comment about how the companies need a way to make money in a f2p title.. Really guys.. That argument ? So you are saying what, that PW will go bankrupt if they stop charging a single tiny feature that has ALWAYS been FREE in it's developer's other successful f2p titles ?
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree that they never should've strayed away from the tailor mechanic. I enjoy going in to the tailor and trying different things, especially in STO. It should, however, have a cost associated with it. Gold would be my choice as right now it's a useless currency. I'm slowly changing my position of dyes. They should be earned, dropped, or bought still, but once unlocked they are unlocked forever.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • pinchyskriipinchyskrii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cosmetic stuff should be charged, quality of life things should be earned with gold or a reasonable amount of diamonds.
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    PWE won't change their position on it. They never have. Unfortunately your options are; deal with it, buy a change or boycott Neverwinter (Which won't do anything because PWE will still have money thrown at them).

Indeed thats exactly what PW is like, BUT you have to factor in a lot of the players are Cryptic fans and are coming in from CO and STO and expecting this Champs engine game to have the same level of basic toon customization as it 2 forefathers. But what they are seeing is the PW model and it seems like a backwards step. Dont take my word for it have a look here . The STO and CO players wont stay to long if the toon maker stays this rubbish.
  • kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jimb0wolf wrote: »
    I think it's a little over the top to expect to change appearance for free, I mean the game is free-to-play for christ sake :D They gotta get money from somewhere...

Somewhere? lol..the are getting money from every possible way they can think of.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • michelleswnmichelleswn Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with the OP

Quite frankly Cryptic LIED to us.
    Shame on Cryptic for using the whole "character customization as indepth as other titles" they lauded early on during NWN's development. We were all pretty much assured by Cryptic that NWN would have as deep and rich a customizer as Champions, but with the newer technologies they learned on STO.

I remember them referencing both tailors during the development of NWN. In both CO and STO the in game customizer was very robust and practically free (you had to pay a very minor sum of in-game currency).

Additional costume options, unlocks, and such were available through the cash shop as well as in game. Paragon (which later became Cryptic) made their money that way, and they continued to have success that way with CO and STO.

Now with NWN they completely borked that. One of the main selling points of CoH/CoV, CO and later STO -was- the tailor.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited May 2013

Those games launched with a subscription fee. The tailor wasn't free, it cost $15/month.

This game has no sub fee. It instead has the model Cryptic WANTED to use from the start in STO, but couldn't due to Atari. The tailor is only free in STO today because of that; changing it now would be too controversial.

If you want to get the feel of the STO model from launch, buy $15 worth of tailor tokens every month whether you use them or not.
  • madblooddollmadblooddoll Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    they should allow us to change it as much as they want. They do in Star Trek and Champions. They don't charge 200 zen at all. They need to fix that in here. If they do before the founders program ends, then I'll buy the $200 pack. No way I will pay 200 zen to change my look though when i can do it in their other games for basically free (credits or G) not zen or their crystals WITHOUT paying their monthly fee on those two games.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Weeeeellllll, without the extensive costuming options that are in Star Trek & Champions, I don't really see much need for frequent appearance alterations. (Yeah, I've decided that the face I made on my Elf isn't that great, but changing that would be once.)

Now, if they had an outfit system with lots of parts you could interchange, then $ to change appearance would be horrible. But this game went with the normal fantasy-game "your appearance is based on your loot" thing. And even then, they DID include "free" (astral diamonds, lots of 'em) appearance shifting for your gear.

edit: and yes, based on earlier games of theirs, I was expecting an extensive costume system. I've even figured out a way it could have worked with loot-based appearance:
    Each character starts with a basic set of armor parts for their class. When you get new armor (boss drops, blue & purple items, quest uniques, achievements, crafting, etc) it unlocks more bits - new torsos, new shoulderpads, new reinforcements, etc. That way, there's 1. a reason to look forward to new loot, and 2. a brand new level 1 can't make their armor as fancy as a lv60 with epics. Unless, of course, they buy some additional costume packs from the zen store, like all the outfit packs in STO.
  • theawesomeone111theawesomeone111 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No. It's cosmetic. It should only be fair that cosmetic things be paid for because that's your own fault if you don't like it then suck it up or support the game and pay for it.
  • foxwaterfoxwater Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wait what?

The tailoring option in STO was always a paid for feature for subscribers, and then energy credits i b
    elieve?
    The costume editing stuff in CO was always a paid for feature...

You could earn a way to change yourself in game, i dont recall what it was but you got a free token somehow. After that it was paid for.

Its not suddenly changed because of PWI. In actuality, changing your characters appearence should cost money as you should take the time you want to make it right at the start. Nobody forces you to rush that process...
    Kitsunami Lupo
    Head of PR
    http://www.gamersaurs.com/
  • madblooddollmadblooddoll Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I change my appearance in star trek all the time and don't pay any monthly fee. They should let us here.
  • pelarius2046pelarius2046 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    jimb0wolf wrote: »

Not to mention it's $2.
    Theohelm, Guardian of the Dalelands.
  • nwtopher1nwtopher1 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The game is free, they have no motivation to adjust it to suit players who don't pay.

You opinion is worth whatever income they get from you, apparently nothing.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    change appearance token is 200z or $2. 200z is around the equivalent of 60-70k AD depending on the current exchange rate. you can buy two character slots for $5 or 500z. they have discounts and specials all the time. i bought two character slots at a discount recently.
This discussion has been closed.