test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why is the graphics quality so horrible?

izariel44izariel44 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I had heard that the graphics werent great, but when I got into the game I was truly shocked. On 1920 resolution and with most of the shiny features turned on (good luck with everything with the lag we have had) my character and environment are grainy and pixelated.

My character especially is so bad I can barely make out any details on her form or face. Its just a blob of pixels that resembels a face at this point.

My hope is that in other games during "beta" they have not turned on the best graphics for the game yet as they were still running debugging programs and what not, and that the graphics will get better. I truly hope so. Aesthetics are very important to me and while its not a deal breaker, it will certainly diminish my enjoyment and my immersion into this otherwise good game.

Please, is there a dev out there that can reassure me that it will get better? I hope so.

(And no, its not my computer. I have many other games which run MUCH better graphics than this game does just fine with no issues)
Post edited by izariel44 on

Comments

• Options
    fishcowfishcow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Cause your computer is horrible. Seriously.
    Oh and post spec.
    Je Bus is here to save you! (⊙ω⊙)
  • Options
    thirdeye69thirdeye69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i thought the same thing coming from an aesthetic game like rift. sometimes though game play > graphics
  • Options
    mic281mic281 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 115 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Defiantly not an issue I am having. What are your PC's specs? What version of DirectX are you running? Have you updated your GFX driver recently?
  • Options
    signal09signal09 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The graphics are fantastic and the engine is very smooth actually. I recommend you reset every single video option; (even if its at the setting you like) you may have run into a bug. Also ensure, you graphic cards settings in your NVIDIA or AMD Control panel was not change recently.
    D&D Gamer for over 15 years
  • Options
    adapheladaphel Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I had the same problem

Did you try bumping up the render scaling slider?
    As soon as I did that everything turned to as beautiful as I imagined this game to be.

Hope it works :)
  • Options
    ashleyaddictionashleyaddiction Member Posts: 339 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Try increasing the texture rendering using the slider in the options panel. (The lower the setting, the blurrier the game will be.)
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    The graphics aren't horrible. Truly.

The most common reason seems to be because auto-configures set the graphics to a lower rating than they should be.
    And this is the case for all games.

So if you ever log into a game and see worse graphics than you were expecting you should always check the settings and fiddle with them.

With that being said the graphics are stylized. They aren't uber realism like Skyrim but they are highly detailed and genuinely good graphics.

Example: http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/070/d/d/dragon_by_darkstorn42-d5xqhhc.png?2

However you may be seeing this if the auto-config thought you had a lower end computer:
    http://rpg.brainclouds.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/NWDragon.jpg
  • Options
    necrofobicnecrofobic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    no idea what you are up to, game is pretty tight in the graphic department, i think you have messed up some settings
  • Options
    cristianoflcristianofl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My only issue with the graphics are the inability to zoom in except in the useless Inspect mode, and the fact that the graphics seem hazy, with almost a grainy fog at times. Otherwise, it is beautiful.
  • Options
    erazareerazare Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i concur, the graphics are **** good, better than most MMORPGs thats for sure... think you need a better system pal
  • Options
    cristianoflcristianofl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Your image illustrates my point - the graphics seem hazy. Attractive, but they seem to lack contrast or have some type of slight fog. Turning off post processing for me made it slightly better, but the graphics are not as sharp looking as they should be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The environment and model textures are great on max settings. The textures are really well done. My only gripe is the character models need a little love (more defined features).
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    erazare wrote: »
    i concur, the graphics are **** good, better than most MMORPGs thats for sure... think you need a better system pal

I wouldn't say better than most - Rift and GW2 definitely are better looking, but the graphics are quite nice.
  • Options
    midnightrider55midnightrider55 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    fishcow wrote: »
    Cause your computer is horrible. Seriously.
    Oh and post spec.

Pretty much this in a nutshell.

Time to upgrade your Commodore 64 and join the 21st century.
  • Options
    fishcowfishcow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Is that seriously how it looks on low setting....?
    (⊙ω⊙)
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Your image illustrates my point - the graphics seem hazy. Attractive, but they seem to lack contrast or have some type of slight fog. Turning off post processing for me made it slightly better, but the graphics are not as sharp looking as they should be.

I think the haziness in that picture is mainly by intention. I agree though some areas are overly hazy and could be slightly toned down but other than the haze they are really rather good.

fishcow wrote: »
    Is that seriously how it looks on low setting....?
    (⊙ω⊙)

I suppose so. I had the same reaction when I saw it which is why I love those two pictures so much. They show the sharp contrast in the settings.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Thank science that I dont have to see the game in low setting, I would had thought that I was playing on a N64.
    (⊙ω⊙)
  • Options
    wujoewujoe Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    the graphics are amazing, execpt for the char's face it could use some work
  • Options
    demiurgerealmdemiurgerealm Member Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Stop trying to play the game on your phone.
    -Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Realm of the Demiurge Foundry Works

Neverwinter isn't D&D, it is a MMO based on a game that uses D&D terms but isn't really D&D either. NW is fun (for that matter so is 4E), but it isn't D&D, and once you wrap your expectations around that you will be able to enjoy the game for what it offers and not worry about what it does not.
  • Options
    jargoylejargoyle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Man, my graphics look great. The way the lighting bounces off my cue number 3396. Are you guys using Cryengine?
    (intended as nothing but humor. Sorry I crack me up)
  • Options
    tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Question: are you saying that they are bad graphics period, or bad graphics compared to other MMOs out there?
  • Options
    lazer1211lazer1211 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jargoyle wrote: »
    Man, my graphics look great. The way the lighting bounces off my cue number 3396. Are you guys using Cryengine?
    (intended as nothing but humor. Sorry I crack me up)

Right, and the shadows that say 55976 on my are stunning, I haven't played a que game this fun since... SimCity Oh wait... How well is that game doing? Yeah...
  • Options
    txhorns233txhorns233 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah you're obviously having some sort of graphical issue because the graphics look great to me.
  • Options
    railakrailak Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    adjust the graphics settings =)
  • Options
    jargoylejargoyle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Right, and the shadows that say 55976 on my are stunning, I haven't played a que game this fun since... SimCity Oh wait... How well is that game doing? Yeah...

Wow I just got 59196. small world.
  • Options
    lazer1211lazer1211 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jargoyle wrote: »

Wow I just got 59196. small world.

The best part about paying for a game, is you aren't paying for a game anymore... ever. you are renting it for a one time fee, and they can take it away when ever they want.
  • Options
    dizzlekr3wdizzlekr3w Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I haven't logged in since it went public but my prior experience has been good with the game and the graphics. In due time there will be a settings guide based on your gpu or whatever. But anyways trying to help what manufacturer do you have? I am not sure about amd but I know the nvidia beta drivers boost the performance of this game slight ly depending on the card.

With that being said make sure under the troubleshooting tab you have dx11 selected(if your card can handle it)

I have everything at the highest settings and AA set at 4x msaa through nvidia Control panel overriding the game. I have a gtx 670 with a 3570k and I average about 90 fps in dungeons and it varies alot in cities. Sometimes dips to 30 fps. There aren't any combat in the city so it is not a big deal to me.

Having a strong community is important in any game that is Multiplayer. The reason path of exile is so great is because of the community. They are very helpful. Unhelpful posts don't really do much except bring your post number up.

Give this game some time and it it will be great. Helpful feedback on any issues found with the game is what will make it prosper.

Have fun guys.
  • Options
    mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Check if you are set to Full Screen or Maximized Windowed (or something like that). It's in Video Options. Mine at FS looks horrible but looks nice in MW.. weird I know
  • Options
    drekorsilverfangdrekorsilverfang Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have settings on high and things look pretty good, certainly not the best ever but I don't see any serious issues with it.
  • Options
    unstoppixelunstoppixel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Graphics look really good for me! Granted my PC is pretty current/awesome (everything maxed)! :)