test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Here We Go Again... Cleric Tanks

124»

Comments

• glymm82glymm82 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    autopops wrote: »
    this is not world of warcraft.

threat mechanics are based on keeping agro of key potential team threats

Adds should be nuked

all the red **** on the floor is not to be stood in

control wizards should help the team to isolate and nuke the adds

clerics should heal their <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off and deal with adds where possible

the game is based on active combat and is pretty realistic in that respect

in summary;

YOU ARE NOT LOCKED INTO ONE ROLE, YOU NEED TO SUPPORT THE TEAM IN ANY WAY POSSIBLE
    YOU NEED TO USE YOUR BRAIN
    MECHANICS ARE NOT BROKEN THEY ARE A NEW TAKE
    THIS IS NOT WORLD OF WARCRAFT CURRENT META

<3<3<3<3
  • deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    The last dungeon I ran (Wolf Den epic), I was @ ~4 million healing, rest of the group was around 400k or less. I'm specced for heals and buffs, I don't do **** for damage, but then again, I don't have to :)
  • difinitusdifinitus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    deistik wrote: »
    The last dungeon I ran (Wolf Den epic), I was @ ~4 million healing, rest of the group was around 400k or less. I'm specced for heals and buffs, I don't do **** for damage, but then again, I don't have to :)

Make me happy and create a thread with your build :)
  • deahamletdeahamlet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013

Adds should be nuked

clerics should heal their <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off and deal with adds where possible

in summary;

YOU ARE NOT LOCKED INTO ONE ROLE, YOU NEED TO SUPPORT THE TEAM IN ANY WAY POSSIBLE

I'm sorry did you just tell each class what their role has to be then dare claim we are not locked into one role?
    GTFO.
  • autopopsautopops Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    deahamlet wrote: »
    I'm sorry did you just tell each class what their role has to be then dare claim we are not locked into one role?
    GTFO.

im glad you spent all that money on your title to actually claim you understand a game that you have no idea about the irony of the post is to insinuate that there is no specific role this is why its ironic, please refrain from utilising the few braincells you might have to appropriate to understand the misguided logic of this post.

now post something thats constructive or ask for your money back hero of the north
  • dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    im glad you spent all that money on your title to actually claim you understand a game that you have no idea about the irony of the post is to insinuate that there is no specific role this is why its ironic, please refrain from utilising the few braincells you might have to appropriate to understand the misguided logic of this post.

now post something thats constructive or ask for your money back hero of the north

your post was not ironic in the least. you should look the word up

perhaps you meant to say you were being sarcastic? in that case as i'm sure you are well aware sarcasm also requires a specific tone and mannerism to the speech - something you can't hear or see on a forum thread post from a total stranger.

trying to be sarcastic on a forum thread without clearly stating you are being so just makes you look the fool for later claiming you were being so, or saying you were 'joking'. it's likely you were doing neither and are now attempting to cover-up your social faux pas
  • bladetwistbladetwist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    glymm82 wrote: »
    the game is in ... BETA!....

Dunno if you have played previously games published (or developed) by PW, but the truth, usually that open beta is more of a release. Game will very likely stay the way it is, and will not gonna get any large modification or addition until an expansion hits in like a year from now, like all the other games in PW repertoire have done. But who knows, maybe this one will be handled differently.
  • autopopsautopops Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    dixa1 wrote: »
    your post was not ironic in the least. you should look the word up

perhaps you meant to say you were being sarcastic? in that case as i'm sure you are well aware sarcasm also requires a specific tone and mannerism to the speech - something you can't hear or see on a forum thread post from a total stranger.

trying to be sarcastic on a forum thread without clearly stating you are being so just makes you look the fool for later claiming you were being so, or saying you were 'joking'. it's likely you were doing neither and are now attempting to cover-up your social faux pas

discuss the content of the thread owners concern or dont bother, if you want to harrass and maintain a persona of being righteous please take it to another forum post titled," i want to personally insult you "
  • daviaugusto1daviaugusto1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Even though I relate to the problem, I am not sure this is a class problem. In a combat the tank could hold aggro of the boss easily, but he because DPS and controllers did nothing to the adds, the whole combat was a mess.

If controllers and DPSs focused on helping the cleric keep healing everyone, this would not be an issue. As a cleric you also don't need to start the combat with bastion of health, healing word and sun burst. You can start more like a DPS, and check how HP goes.
  • bladetwistbladetwist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Adds should be nuked

in summary;

Hummm...

1. If I remember even WoW the tank has to keep aggro of things. The difference is that is SO FREAKING EASY to keep (at least pre panda) aggro on WoW as a tank, that make the class boring.

2. Each person has to known its role, that what a RPG or MMORPG is about. If you are not a tank, stop pulling the groups. In other games many many times I have either kick players or let them die because of that.

3. MMO Basics. On groups of bosses and trash.... Duh you have to take the trash as soon they appear. Some morons stay on bosses because they want to shine on DPS charts. That's why many people are against damage charts, because people keep looking at numbers instead at their surroundings (floor stuff that kills for example).

4. A healer role is to heal. Unless no one is taking big damage, they should stay on healing... How I hate healers that start dpsing and their group partners start dying because they are not doing their job right. Because they think they are so cool and awesome healing and doing damage. All MMO's have one way or another to improve a char performance, and always will be a tradeoff between different roles. A half damaging/healing char will not heal as good as a full healing char, the same for a def/damage char against a full damage char.
  • vonthvonth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 85
    edited April 2013
    get GF companion, builds hell lots of aggro, much much more than the GF player ^^
  • dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    discuss the content of the thread owners concern or dont bother, if you want to harrass and maintain a persona of being righteous please take it to another forum post titled," i want to personally insult you "

you shoud likewise take your own advice. your original post then then follow up post were essentially off topic.
    edited April 2013
    bladetwist wrote: »
    Hummm...

1. If I remember even WoW the tank has to keep aggro of things. The difference is that is SO FREAKING EASY to keep (at least pre panda) aggro on WoW as a tank, that make the class boring.

2. Each person has to known its role, that what a RPG or MMORPG is about. If you are not a tank, stop pulling the groups. In other games many many times I have either kick players or let them die because of that.

3. MMO Basics. On groups of bosses and trash.... Duh you have to take the trash as soon they appear. Some morons stay on bosses because they want to shine on DPS charts. That's why many people are against damage charts, because people keep looking at numbers instead at their surroundings (floor stuff that kills for example).

4. A healer role is to heal. Unless no one is taking big damage, they should stay on healing... How I hate healers that start dpsing and their group partners start dying because they are not doing their job right. Because they think they are so cool and awesome healing and doing damage. All MMO's have one way or another to improve a char performance, and always will be a tradeoff between different roles. A half damaging/healing char will not heal as good as a full healing char, the same for a def/damage char against a full damage char.

please dont quote or respond to autpops. this is his follow up to that post:

he's a troll. best to ignore and move along
  • deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    difinitus wrote: »
    Make me happy and create a thread with your build :)

I plan on making a thread in the next day or so on my build... it's all about crit and building divine power.
    edited April 2013
    where does this dixa1 get off,

thanks for spending the the time to understand the meaning off my post blade twist.

my argument still remains however, that in the team based combat which is active combat. holding aggro of all of the mobs is non essential,

utilising the tool boxes of each class to effectively mitigate the chaos is a much better use of your time, dealing with encounters as weaker targets to stronger targets will be the most effective in any situation, what we are doing is just ensuring we protect the healer

healer survives = Tank survies = party survives = encounter done

every class has a lot of tools to ensure threats are dealt with.
  • tekarutekaru Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I kind of see it both ways.

On one hand, the dynamics of this game ARE different, and people need to adapt. don't be mad at the tank for not holding aggro, because he can't.

On the other hand, it is a *little* ridiculous how the healer gets all the aggro and the DPS classes get none.
  • treeteatreetea Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    taemekeg wrote: »
    So sounds like a Tank issue to me.

its not a tank issue. its an issue with the aggro in the game. i myself is a cleric as well. so before you go Flaming a tank think first.
  • slymieslymie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Only thing I can suggest is to get a good Control Wizard, or try pleading with the ones in your group. After level 20, if your CW's are out damaging the rogues in your group AND the healer is getting pimp slapped around a lot, then they are doing something wrong. Personally, I do my best to keep an eye on my healer and ensure that anything chasing him down gets CC'd, or at worst is trying to hit me. As someone else posted Dead Healer = Dead party. The tank Can hold aggro, but not on everything all the time. The rest of the time it's the CW's job to ensure their healer stays alive, not Pew Pew and wish they were a DPS class.

In a way, the ease of the early dungeons kind of hurts that learning aspect for CW's. They are able to get by as a dps and therefor think that they can do that in every dungeon. It just isn't the case once you reach a certain point in the game. :(
  • iamr1s1ngiamr1s1ng Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Clerics are Healers SECOND, its not their top priority. Last I checked the words "Clerics must be pure healers" are not anywhere on their description. As other people have stated, when adds spawn dps needs to take them out then get back to the boss. The tank also need to make sure his aoe taunt is available when the adds will spawn. Anyone play Tera Online? Games like this are about mechanics. Not tab target while I watch TV. Once you know exactly what % addds spawn and the bosses movements and attacks you can plan for those things accordingly.

Oh yeah, you people whining about buying pots are ridiculous. Everyone has to use them, we are all in the same boat. The more skilled parties just use less.
  • carrotpakcarrotpak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    deistik wrote: »
    I plan on making a thread in the next day or so on my build... it's all about crit and building divine power.

hey boss.. show us! i wanna know how you build the cleric.. having some issues with deciding which skills to level
  • oghieroghier Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    x0y1 wrote: »
    It does, maybe you should check your combatlog.log files. You can use ACT with a plugin, and no you don't get mine. :p

Where can I get a NWN plugin for ACT? That would be fantastic, but there's nothing at the advancedcombattracker.com site.
    - Snit (Cleric, Dragon Server)
  • judgebanksloljudgebankslol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like that someone said that this is not WoW, check your D&D version, then get back to us.
  • eve4evereve4ever Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    past lvl 30 dungeons are very bad, i ded in 1 encounter 5 times only by healing, that skill which grants health to the attacker when mob is hit, has major issues.
  • elkuhelkuh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Having 0 Problems here....
    Maybe its also a tank problem that the gf just sucks?
    I am playing with a friend (playing GF) and he is tanking like a boss... i am lvl 40 so far.. Maybe problems will come later
  • samanthyasamanthya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 98
    edited May 2013
    Hmmm... I don't see issue's with controlling mobs on my GF, as far as my rogue goes, I'm stealthed 95% of every fight anyways only coming out to use my big attacks before going right back in so never have aggro there. I do notice I pull threat if the tank doesn't understand the mechanics and thinks they can just beat on one mob and that'll be enough.

In short, clerics -do- have a ridiculous amount of threat but a good tank can overcome it.
  • mrchocoperumrchocoperu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elkuh wrote: »
    Having 0 Problems here....
    Maybe its also a tank problem that the gf just sucks?
    I am playing with a friend (playing GF) and he is tanking like a boss... i am lvl 40 so far.. Maybe problems will come later

Lvl 40 is nothing bro XD... try epic dungeons .. trust me a tank cant even tank.. he can only take 1 mob and the rest... poor clerics u.
    edited May 2013
    samanthya wrote: »
    In short, clerics -do- have a ridiculous amount of threat but a good tank can overcome it.

I invite you to watch this video. No one will hold that threat off of me lol
  • alandoril1alandoril1 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Healing threat in this game is a massive issue. Was in a T1 dungeon earlier with three TRs and one GWF and none of them could pull agro from me.

Well there's your problem, you might say, no tank!

But the fact that four dps classes couldn't generate more threat than me is frankly absurd.

When I started dungeon runs to gear up I had close to 40 gold on my cleric. Just about fully T1 geared now and I am down to 16 gold from buying potions and kits. Not bad play on my part, just that I draw so much attention from mobs and never seem to lose it no matter what anyone else does that more often than not I'm running in circles popping potions like it is going out of fashion!
  • synlynnsynlynn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree. My cleric seems to just ooze threat even with the minor heals from Astral Seal alone. I do not think it is just how much threat a GF puts out that needs balanced but the aggro that all heals do. Most of the time I am not seeing most dps get any aggro which makes me think GF have decent aggro set.