test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

No controller support still?

thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So what's the deal with controller support being in game for 2 beta weekends and then it's gone.
Far as I can tell it hasn't been implemented again for open beta.

why oh why is this so?
Post edited by thevlaka on

Comments

• mushr00mstampmushr00mstamp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I just use Xpadder, have a great functional setup with my controller :)
  • daemonstheredaemonsthere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    >MMORPG Game
    >On PC
    >Want to use xbox controller
    Why ?
  • mushr00mstampmushr00mstamp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Because the controller allows you to not have to sit at a desk and it's makes the combat more fun. No fat fingering keys and the like. I always play my PC games with a controller.
  • silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    >MMORPG Game
    >On PC
    Why ?

After trying it in CO I won't even log in to that game if I don't have my controller. Once you try a controller with a game that has really good support for it like Cryptic games you really miss it! In BW1 I used a controller. Even posted my config on the forums. It worked really well with Neverwinter. But then, native support went away. It's weird because the other Cryptic games have it and it only had a couple of pretty minor flaws in BW1. Hope it comes back soon.

I will say though that Neverwinter's default keyboard layout works really well. I've always been a clicker rather than using keyboard shortcuts. I thought that would give me some difficulty in Neverwinter, but I found the bindings to be really intuitive.
  • klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Try Joy to Key
  • eyewishuheaveneyewishuheaven Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thevlaka wrote: »
    So what's the deal with controller support being in game for 2 beta weekends and then it's gone.
    Far as I can tell it hasn't been implemented again for open beta.

why oh why is this so?

Somewhat disappointing to hear but honestly xpadder works PERFECTLY with this game. Look for the xbox 360 controller thread and d/l the xpadder profile provided. Turn off double tap to dodge and assign it to say the right controller stick (press down). Tweak the button bindings as you desire and you will be in business.
  • chomagchomag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    And I hope controller support continues to be an afterthought. This is a PC game played by people who play on the PC, most of which are unfamiliar with controllers and unlikely to appreciate games which emphasize the use of a console controller or which attempt to have the controls designed in such a way that it tries (mostly fails) to cater to both keyboards and console controllers.

One of the reasons I refused to play DCUO was the ****tastic controls which tried to support both pc keyboards and gamepads.
  • taeryltaeryl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited April 2013
    chomag wrote: »
    And I hope controller support continues to be an afterthought. This is a PC game played by people who play on the PC, most of which are unfamiliar with controllers and unlikely to appreciate games which emphasize the use of a console controller or which attempt to have the controls designed in such a way that it tries (mostly fails) to cater to both keyboards and console controllers.

One of the reasons I refused to play DCUO was the ****tastic controls which tried to support both pc keyboards and gamepads.

I could understand if this game was created for a console but ported to a PC, but it's not. It's already built around KB+Mouse PC design, so why would you care if they added controller support? It won't affect you at all... What it would do is possibly bring in more players that are more accustomed to console games and therefore more revenue for Cryptic/PWE.
  • eyewishuheaveneyewishuheaven Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    taeryl wrote: »
    I could understand if this game was created for a console but ported to a PC, but it's not. It's already built around KB+Mouse PC design, so why would you care if they added controller support? It won't affect you at all... What it would do is possibly bring in more players that are more accustomed to console games and therefore more revenue for Cryptic/PWE.

Well put taeryl.

I've gamed on Sony and PC for years. I game with a Nostromo and Gamepad. I am very skilled with both. As stated earlier its all about one's comfort level with the peripheral they choose to use. I would def rather lean back with my Sabertooth then be hunched over a desk with my Nostromo any day. That being said, why should anyone give a rats rear end what I use to play said game that I spent my hard earned money on. I use a gamepad in GW2, SWTOR, WoW and FFXIV - and DCUO :p. The FFARR Beta utilizes gamepads almost flawlessly.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    And I hope controller support continues to be an afterthought. This is a PC game played by people who play on the PC,

It was perfectly normal to use joysticks in PC games in the 1980s and 1990s. Gamepads have then become less common as people wanted to buy fewer extras, but they were actually a computer thing before there even were consoles. So, controllers are very much a PC thing, too.

I play this with keyboard and Naga mouse, but there are plenty of games I'd never use a keyboard for, and I can see why people may prefer it in general. XPadder works, as has been said. Takes a few minutes to set it up and you're good to go. :)
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • mklein2836mklein2836 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 46
    edited April 2013
    Gamepads work perfectly in DCUO. Completely flawless. I may check out xpadder, but was really hoping for built in support
  • pion01pion01 Member Posts: 760 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    >MMORPG Game
    >On PC
    Why ?

Better response, twitch gaming, high-paced combat, comfort, couching, playing on my tv, etc.

Or better, Why not?

Consider also the way the powers are set up on the tray. Now look at traditional MMOs. Our system is already different despite the skin - dailies, at will and encounter? Sounds like X-men Legents through everything else to me - basics, specials, ultimates.

Plus, I also prefer the ability to move with one thumb and look with one thumb than three useful fingers and my entire main hand.

Right, see, NOW ima start picking on you.

You my friend, are incorrect. CO was fantastic and it was built with both keyboard and gamepad in mind. STO is the same, and NW shares the same engine.

When done correctly it allows for greater variety and much better twitch gameplay. Assuming most PC players are 1) not general gamers that play things other than PCs , and 2) incapable of learning a new system despite their old system remaining exactly the same are both ridiculous.

Christ, this is probably why I don't like most high-fantasy. Dealing with it's fans is about as bad as dealing the jerk jock who superglued their cheeks together in highschool - stuck in old glory and "the way it oughta be!"

How is this the same generation that gave us touchscreen, HD, hi-speed mobile phones to play games on? As an 80s kid I cringe.
  • foolishlobsterfoolishlobster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I can't imagine how one would play WoW or SWTOR with a gamepad and not hinder their performance in some of the harder content.
  • taeryltaeryl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited April 2013
    I can't imagine how one would play WoW or SWTOR with a gamepad and not hinder their performance in some of the harder content.

I totally agree, but Neverwinter is different. I can totally see using a gamepad in Neverwinter and I might even try it myself.
  • helbjornhelbjorn Member Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Remember that your 360 controller cannot be the wireless controller; even if you plug it in, a PC will not recognize it through the USB cable.
  • mklein2836mklein2836 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 46
    edited April 2013
    Not to mention that almost every single pc game released of late includes built in controller support. Especially since the xbox came out because it was built from the start with work on PC.
    edited April 2013
    helbjorn wrote: »
    Remember that your 360 controller cannot be the wireless controller; even if you plug it in, a PC will not recognize it through the USB cable.

This is just totally false. Almost laughably so. A win7 pc will pick it up instantly.
    edited April 2013
    yeah I use wireless 360 controller for my PC. I don't even own one with wires.
  • helbjornhelbjorn Member Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Only a PC with a controller adapter (receiver) can detect the wireless controller. It has nothing to do with your OS. The cable is for power only, not transfer of data.
    edited April 2013
    helbjorn wrote: »
    Only a PC with a controller adapter (receiver) can detect the wireless controller. It has nothing to do with your OS. The cable is for power only, not transfer of data.

Please..just stop. Obviously a wireless controller on the pc will not work without a receiver. I mean..honestly.
  • pion01pion01 Member Posts: 760 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    mklein2836 wrote: »
    Please..just stop. Obviously a wireless controller on the pc will not work without a receiver. I mean..honestly.

Except this isn't as common knowledge as you, personally, might believe, and a common question that was brought up in previous games was how to connect a wireless gamepad to the game. Needing a reciever usually upset people and turned them off the process due to the price.
  • stroxuss66stroxuss66 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    pion01 wrote: »
    Except this isn't as common knowledge as you, personally, might believe, and a common question that was brought up in previous games was how to connect a wireless gamepad to the game. Needing a reciever usually upset people and turned them off the process due to the price.

Good thing they are cheap. You can get just the dongle for $8-$15 on Amazon and I got a new black 360 controller with the dongle for less than a new 360 controller alone would usually cost a little less then a year ago off Amazon. The price difference is because the lower costing dongle is for connecting just one controller while the more expensive can connect up to 4 at a time.
  • heavenlydemonicheavenlydemonic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013

BIGGER problems to deal with on a personal level. Get some help, dude.
  • demandred1980demandred1980 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Why are you relaying on the developers to support controllers when there is already software such as xpadder that works 100 times better then what they would do.

Stop being lazy and take the time to configure and tweak the controls to your liking. I use xpadder in nearly every single game I play that would be good with a controller.

Take it a step further and learn a bit of programming. Couple xpadder mapping with autoit scripting and you will have FULL control over your game.
  • nightspipernightspiper Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited April 2013
    No native controller support=me not playing. I will pass on the sore wrists and controllers are much more enjoyable to play with in my opinion. All of the free mapping software is terrible and I just refuse to buy software when it is 2013 and controller support should be standard.
  • heavenlydemonicheavenlydemonic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Why are you relaying on the developers to support controllers when there is already software such as xpadder that works 100 times better then what they would do.

Stop being lazy and take the time to configure and tweak the controls to your liking. I use xpadder in nearly every single game I play that would be good with a controller.

Take it a step further and learn a bit of programming. Couple xpadder mapping with autoit scripting and you will have FULL control over your game.

... or you could stop crying about people wanting native controller support, enjoy configuring your Xpadder software, and enjoy the game?
  • lucienirenicuslucienirenicus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 71
    edited April 2013
    No native controller support=me not playing. I will pass on the sore wrists and controllers are much more enjoyable to play with in my opinion. All of the free mapping software is terrible and I just refuse to buy software when it is 2013 and controller support should be standard.

Egads, witness the fruit of the console gen. And they say PC gamers are "entitled", this whole discussion is lol-tastic.

I'll keep this in mind when my PC games come standard with crappy controller-scrolly UIs, limited FoV, reduced graphics capability and specs out on hardware over a decade old.
    Cryptic: Fire your auction house dev.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    For those who can't understand why people are asking for it all other cryptic games has the support, some folks can just use the 360 controller more efficiently and the more ways to play the more people who will be playing.

I'm not a big console guy, but I have to admit I love playing CO with a controller, I just have more fun that way.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    >MMORPG Game
    >On PC
    Why ?

Because as its been said elsewhere it used to have it and the two games before it ( co and sto ) still have pad use. Removal of them is a just odd.
  • eveningshadeeveningshade Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    :( I guess ill have to get xpadder again. I could have sworn that this was to have built in recon tho