test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic, you should have tested 50-60 more

deahamletdeahamlet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I get this is OPEN beta, but you are releasing to the whole public right now and I think you really should have taken some closed beta time for level 50 to 60 content.
I apologize for not knowing the names of the areas, I'm not home so can't pop game open to check.

Here are the problems, obviously playing a DPS cleric (crit/recovery and some power/defense):

1. Mob density. The mobs are placed too close to roads or on the roads and far too many of them in high areas. Even with the rank 3 mount you simply cannot even get from A to B sometimes if you get unlucky. You sometimes can't even fight in peace, and don't even think of using your evade because you will evade into a fresh new batch of enemies.

2. Teleporting enemies close to any road is a stupid idea. I had fun yesterday and ran on my mount for 1 full minute and they were STILL teleporting to me. The same mobs (there were no new mobs of that teleporting type on the way). It's <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. The teleporting enemies are a tad annoying with a targetting system as NW employs, but I can live with that.

3. Uber ads. At higher levels, it is not the boss that is ANY danger whatsoever, it is the insane amount of ads. 3 spiders can kill you better than the boss' red circle. Archers are same story, if you do not down those fast, you're dead. I ran a foundry quest at level 56 and I don't think the author realized what one of the encounters would turn into at that high a level... No less than a dozen spiders, mostly small but a couple big ones plus 2 caster drow... in a small area. Insta-death, not even a chance to evade or kill that many. And as I said, 3 mini-spiders will eat you alive. This problem is made worse by issue 1 in the open world where the mobs are too close together. In dungeons, the final boss wasn't the issue, it was every fight with 5 spiders and 1-2 elite mobs that were the headache. I've learnt to pull, but some bosses SPAWN these things and if I do not instakill those spiders as they appear... splot. Oh and another foundry quest had crazy spawns at like 10 undead things coming at once then again until you killed the two elites spamming them. I'm sure at lower levels this is okayish but at 55 the ads were insane.

4. Abilities glitching. Daunting Light seems to suffer from any surface not being perfectly smooth. It will hit an area and out of the 3-4 spiders there, maybe only one will be actually hit. It's annoying. (this is using Divinity for instant cast) funny enough the version without Divinity never seems to suffer this. I have seen DL fail to do anything even on what seemed like a perfectly smooth area to me. It's weird. Also funny enough did not notice this problem earlier, only in the last couple of areas that have hills and mountains a lot. Basically never saw the problem until mini-spiders. This problem does not arise with drow warrior mobs for example in the same areas. Maybe it's the size of the spiders?!

5. Lack of content. I arrived at the spider area under-level and unlike other areas... came out still not on par with the area. By the time I reached the fire area I had spammed quite a few foundry quests to STILL be 2 levels below. Considering how f-ed up the que-ing system is, you cannot depend on 5man dungeon XP to get people through, but I'm not sure those 2 dungeons I couldn't get in would have made up for that much XP. Either beef up XP in those areas or give more quests. The fire area and underdark have level 59 and 60 monsters and most people enter them at level 55-56, I got lucky and entered at 57 from spamming foundry quests.

6. Pathing. Fix the fire area, omg that thing kept pathing to walls. There was also only ONE way up which was annoying to try to find and on some entrances I just gave up and jumped down to the entry. You obviously added some walls last minute and forgot to tell the pathing system about it.

7. Dungeon que system. Okay, this isn't a matter of just the 50+ areas, but really... 4+ hours with no dungeon entrance is ridiculous when I can see people in the area with the dungeon and then in the area following it... can't be that nobody is queing.

8. Solo dungeons. Probably because the ads are such a pain, some of these solo dungeons were not very solo friendly. I did some with others and some alone and... it was ridiculous. I learnt to basically play like a rogue and pull a few mobs here and there, clear out boss rooms before engaging boss... I feel like I was cheating the geometry half the time to try to separate mobs because 4 minis, 2 normal and 1 boss like ad were insane at once. I have no frigging idea how some classes do this stuff... I have AOEs and if somehow DL was on CD when mini spiders spawned... I was screwed! The boss fights were mostly okay unless they spawned lots of mini ads. In the pirate area I helped a rogue out cause he couldn't get the final boss due to the insane amount of ads. I think some of the solo dungeons after that had worst bosses. Some had reasonable amounts of ads and some had ads already out for you to clear before engaging... but ones that spawn a lot of ads at once are just not solo friendly.

Level 50-60 content does not match the rest of the game. I am used to that kind of BS from Tera where a certain area is like 100 times harder and more annoying than anything else in game. People prefer to go farm enemies in other areas 4+ levels above than do that one borked area.
Post edited by deahamlet on

Comments

• kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    OP we are still in soft launch aka open beta and testing is still going on. That is the only reason why they are opening it to everyone so that they can gather beta feedback on large scale.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • callmenoocallmenoo Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Come on, it's already too easy and stupid. What do you want those adds do? Suicide themselves? Would you feel better if you one shot them? Play a TR.
  • someoneodsomeoneod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I ended up doing the vast majority of questing from level 44ish to 60 with one or two friends, and I have to admit, not only was it significantly easier, it was much more fun. There was one area near the end of underdark final area that instagibbed us a few times (2 people dead in about 3 seconds, pretty rough). To be fair though, I did a few levels in the mid 50's solo, and while I had to use more potions than normal, it went by decently quick. It's not that bad, just have to focus a bit more on CC and figuring out which mobs are the most dangerous (and interrupts r gud).
  • banicksbanicks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 66
    edited April 2013
    I agree greatly regarding distances between mobs. In a dungeon earlier we ended up pulling 7 mobs because of the random aggro radius and placement of everything, we survived, barely, but I'd hate to see the epic mode of that.
    Oceanic Neverwinter Online Guild: http://19thbattalion.com/
    edited April 2013
    callmenoo wrote: »
    Come on, it's already too easy and stupid. What do you want those adds do? Suicide themselves? Would you feel better if you one shot them? Play a TR.

All people do not experience difficulty at same level. You are assuming that everyone finds this game easy and if they do they somehow suck at playing these type of games.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hipolipolopigushipolipolopigus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wait, you mean you might actually need to group up in an MMO to get to endgame?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want to know why Neverwinter is so laggy? Check out the "Latency" section in this thread.
  • badwrongbadwrong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 8
    edited April 2013

Totally agree... the questing content is already super easy.

There will always be that crowd in MMOs though, who feel any challenge is the games fault and not their lack of skill.
  • badwrongbadwrong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 8
    edited April 2013

Not in this game. Not in the least.
  • clurdgeclurdge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    "You sometimes cant even fight in peace" and mobs so dense "sometimes you cannot get from point a to b if unlucky"

Those statements right there basically made me take anything else you said with a grain of salt. I do not consider that a testing issue, but a game design CHOICE. You may not agree with it but an awful lot of us like those types of game mechanics. A group of monkeys can defeat a single mob boss after a few more tries. When lots of adds enter picture at various times the monkeys can probably still do it but it is going to take some practice and coordination. While it would not say it makes it "hard" it does demand at leadt some coordination anf reasonable play from a group of appropriate level. I fail to see that as a bad thing.
  • neolitheneolithe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So the early access beta started 5 days day ago and you expect that there will be many 50+? Low population plus low population of 50+ = long queues.
  • justawitnessjustawitness Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Doesn't Beta kind of imply that they are looking feedback on these kinds of things. Testing is much faster if you have thousands of players rather than a small team of people.

Face piles of trials with smiles.
  • faustasdmfaustasdm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

No way. bad design, omg, why can't i solo end game boss? /sarcasm

My hardcore opinion is that end game challenges should be, well, challenging. Like less than success rate of 25% runs. Or even lower. I don't want this to become like what WoW became.
    Artificer.jpg
  • inconsiderateinconsiderate Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 73
    edited April 2013
    deahamlet wrote: »
    3. Uber ads. At higher levels, it is not the boss that is ANY danger whatsoever, it is the insane amount of ads. 3 spiders can kill you better than the boss' red circle.

Game is functioning as intended.
  • clurdgeclurdge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    kaltoum wrote: »
    OP we are still in soft launch aka open beta and testing is still going on. That is the only reason why they are opening it to everyone so that they can gather beta feedback on large scale.

They are opening it to everyone to generate income (ie the whole point of this game). Whether they are calling it beta or not is just semantics. For all practical purposes today is launch day. I am sure they will fall back on the "this is beta" excuse if need be, but when they launch a persistent world and are freely selling their product (zen) that makes this a launch.
  • hardc0reyhardc0rey Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    1. Mob density.

Content gets harder when you get higher level.

2. Teleporting enemies close to any road is a stupid idea.

3. Uber ads.

4. Abilities glitching.

Report the bug.

5. Lack of content.

Do foundry content when the "150% Foundry XP" happens. Also, even if you got into a dungeon they don't give much XP.

6. Pathing.

Report the Bug

7. Dungeon que system.

Because it is a queue system there has be certain criteria met, like class composition and respecting the first in line queue'rs. Since there is a limited amount of people in the area it is to be expected that a queuing system will not work effectively for some time.

8. Solo dungeons.

Hardcorey
    Dorks with Tranquilizers
    edited April 2013
    clurdge wrote: »
    They are opening it to everyone to generate income (ie the whole point of this game). Whether they are calling it beta or not is just semantics. For all practical purposes today is launch day. I am sure they will fall back on the "this is beta" excuse if need be, but when they launch a persistent world and are freely selling their product (zen) that makes this a launch.

They already called it a beta lunch so they don't need to fall back on any excuse. Majority of players already know they are still in open beta.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ramsayivramsayiv Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    In my opinion, it's those times when you are flooded with monsters and your mashing buttons... and after all the smoke clears everyone is alive that makes it the most fun/intense. If everything could be killed with easy, where would the fun and challenge be?
  • frost168frost168 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hmmm I'd have to ask what build the OP used ? where u put your feat and paragon points. What gear stats u are stacking. I have had no issues soloing my cleric to 60. In fact, I was hoping they would have made it harder after beta, but, they want solo content to be just that, solo content.

I did have to laugh about the mount comment. Really? how much easier do they have to make leveling?? oooohh u got knocked off your mount /eye roll.

I would have to say, after reading through this, it's not so much the game, the game content, or the character and it's abilities, It's the OP's ability to play the class, and his expectation that the game should be a face roll. Once again a mmo that weeds out lesser skilled players is somehow at fault for making content enjoyable enough for the skilled players.

Please Cryptic, up the danger level of the solo content. It's just too darn easy to solo in this game, especially the solo dungeons. I'd at least like to think I might have a chance of dying in a dungeon, especially when I run it solo.
    edited April 2013
    They already called it a beta lunch so they don't need to fall back on any excuse. Majority of players already know they are still in open beta.

True most of us know this. Most of us are just not sheep willing to take "beta" as an excuse for what for all practical purposes is the launch.

Having said that I have found the game to be one of the better launches I have seen in terms of polish and stability. Hopefully tonight with the huge influx the stability is still good.
    edited April 2013
    True most of us know this. Most of us are just not sheep willing to take "beta" as an excuse for what for all practical purposes is the launch.

Having said that I have found the game to be one of the better launches I have seen in terms of polish and stability. Hopefully tonight with the huge influx the stability is still good.

What is more honest? calling your release an open beta or calling it an official launch and treat your players as beta tester anyways?

I don't see what's wrong with being honest and call it what it is. I wish more companies would do this instead of releasing a game full of bugs and broken content as an official launch.

I don't even know where this 'sheep' thing came into argument.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Outside of the dungeon queue, most of the things you listed is what is making me have the most fun leveling in an MMO in a long time.

Seriously, the level 50-60 experience is a freaking blast. Loving every second of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • callmenoocallmenoo Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There's no endgame. Just some very easy to beat dungeons.
    edited April 2013
    There's no endgame. Just some very easy to beat dungeons.

Are you talking from your closed beta experience because clearly you are not 60 right now since you didn't buy guardian or hero pack. Did you really reach 60 in CB and did all end game content?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • prysianprysian Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think this game makes you actually take stock of your environment and your situation much more than others do, and if you don't, I could see why some might say the game is hard, but really I think it's a solid medium difficulty at most.
    edited April 2013
    What is more honest? calling your release an open a or calling it an official launch and treat your players as beta tester anyways?

I don't see what's wrong with being honest and call it what it is. I wish more companies would do this instead of releasing a game full of bugs and broken content as an official launch.

I don't even know where this 'sheep' thing came into argument.

Well the sheep comment comes from your desire to just go along and do what they say never using your own intelligence. For example the fact you think it matters that the devs call it open beta so that means this is just "testing" and that the reason they are doing this "open beta" is to fix bugs and get feedback.

If that was there primary goal then we would be seeing an open beta with frequent wipes, near daily downtime, etc. Of course the big one is we would not see the cash shop open for real cash and rather people would get "free" zen to test all this (or at worst purchased zen that will be added back to your account at official launch when chars are wiped). Of course chars will not be wiped because that is not something you do after a game goes live....which this game has done in all ways other than semantics. By every objective measure other than semantics today is the official launch day. I realize that is too much thinking for a few of the sheep, but most of us realize this is the case. For the rest you can wait for the devs to say we went live with official launch. Of course little to nothing will change that day.
  • soanvalckesoanvalcke Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Need easy XP? Go to Foundry quests during the bonus. You can easily make up the difference in levels there. I had to do that in the 40s. I don't see the point in doing any instances until 60 though. Not enough XP is gained in there to make up for straight questing. Find a buddy and go quest together, it goes extremely fast that way.
    edited April 2013
    Well the sheep comment comes from your desire to just go along and do what they say never using your own intelligence. For example the fact you think it matters that the devs call it open beta so that means this is just "testing" and that the reason they are doing this "open beta" is to fix bugs and get feedback.

If that was there primary goal then we would be seeing an open beta with frequent wipes, near daily downtime, etc. Of course the big one is we would not see the cash shop open for real cash and rather people would get "free" zen to test all this (or at worst purchased zen that will be added back to your account at official launch when chars are wiped). Of course chars will not be wiped because that is not something you do after a game goes live....which this game has done in all ways other than semantics. By every objective measure other than semantics today is the official launch day. I realize that is too much thinking for a few of the sheep, but most of us realize this is the case. For the rest you can wait for the devs to say we went live with official launch. Of course little to nothing will change that day.

Actually it does matter. It matters to you too isn't it? how would you react if they called it an 'official launch' and yet you knew in your heart that just like any other MMO release you are nothing more than a beta tester.

And by the way did i miss some official rule book of beta testing that says if there are no character wipes it is not open beta?

I don't think you are in any position to call anyone else a 'sheep'. I guess you are happier beta testin..err playing the game when company calls it an 'official' launch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Midgame. 60 is only the top of Paragon.
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
    edited April 2013
    Actually it does matter. It matters to you too isn't it? how would you react if they called it an 'official launch' and yet you knew in your heart that just like any other MMO release you are nothing more than a beta tester.

And by the way did i miss some official rule book of beta testing that says if there are no character wipes it is not open beta?

I don't think you are in any position to call anyone else a 'sheep'. I guess you are happier beta testin..err playing the game when company calls it an 'official' launch.

Not sure if you missed the rulebook or not but you were clearly absent the day they taught logical thinking. As for it mattering to me what they call it.....does not matter at all. What does matter is the sheep who are already making the "this is beta" excuse rather than holding developer accountable (again though I think launch has went as well as expected and better than most). The fact is there is no objective indication this is anything other than an actual launch. You may need a rulebook to tell you such thingd, but most of have enough mental capacity to understand that if the world is now persistent, open to everyone, and the cash shop shop is open.....then it is an official launch whether they call it beta or not.
  • deahamletdeahamlet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    This thread is full of LOLz.

1. I just thought Cryptic might not want to scare away casual gamers with the ramping up in difficulty. Beta or no beta, I thought they'd want the critique. Maybe not, should keep to peachykeen commentary then.
    2. Everyone seemed to miss the part where I said I adapted and changed to a different playstyle in order to handle the changes in the game. I died twice really. Once to sheer stupidity and once to that foundry spamming all that stuff at once. Otherwise I managed to kite and pot and kill things with impunity. My point was the areas feel like a completely different game compared to level 1-50. Not that I couldn't beat it.
    3. Sometimes you fight 40 **** mobs and just want to go hand in your quests and log off. You don't always have to be bloody fighting, sigh.

The main point was that it feels like a completely different game at those levels. You don't have to agree. You can be your hardcore self and whine the rest of the game isn't as hard or that you want it harder. I want consistency. I don't want a game that is tralalala look how solo and casual friendly we are and then BAM BOOM BLAST!

And yes, ALL the content outside the 5man content is supposed to be oriented towards solo. This is not DDO where content is made so good players solo hard and elite modes, this is a game whose main content is supposed to be solo. If you don't like that fact and want this MMO to force you to group up, whine to Cryptic. That is not what they presented or advertised so the content that is supposed to be solo should be able to be done solo.
    I can't wait to try a rogue and see how well ad spawns go.