test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Best race/stats for Cleric?

highropeshighropes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 103
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Hi, I'm really curious what is best race for Cleric? I think human is good, but isn't Half-Elf better? Also, should I aim for max Charisma, or go for well balanced Charisma/Wisdom/Strength.. Thanks for answers.
Post edited by highropes on

Comments

• Options
    streethawkestreethawke Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Honestly, does not matter.

I say this because I play with my Half-Orc Wizard and am extremely awesome :D

For my wizard I go Wisdom because of the bonus to control.

Mouseover the stats in game to see what they do for your class and pick the one you like most :D

You truly cannot fail picking any number sequence they give you.
    b_ro.png
    When you want to break the mold

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    In tier 4 of the general feats there are 8 points that I think are necessary. The cleanse and divinity building. Humans are the only race that can maximize both feats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    paragon33paragon33 Member Posts: 134 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Yeah guy above me is correct. Humans get 3 extra points for Feats... Blows minor stat bonus out of water. Im still confused why this is allowed. But then again it seems tons of players don't even know about it in the first place.
  • Options
    purutzilpurutzil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Unfortuantely... given good feats it seems as if Humans will trump out the other classes. Stats give to little and racial abilities are quite weak. A GWF for example can get 5% crit severity from a feat, the exact same equal of the 5% crit damage bonus from half-orc and its just 1 of 3 feats you get.

That being said, it can depend a lot on the class. Even with that in mind, its not that vast of a difference to completely discredit one race from another. Its always possible the racial abilities could be boosted or stats enhanced to make classes stick out more. SO yes, human will probably work better for many classes, but its not that huge of a difference that it can likely be game changing. Play what you like and you should be perfectly fine.
    GWF level 60 (Beholder) - The pains of leveling!
    Cleric level 5X (Dragon) - Holy goblin so much easier!
  • Options
    dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    paragon33 wrote: »
    Yeah guy above me is correct. Humans get 3 extra points for Feats... Blows minor stat bonus out of water. Im still confused why this is allowed. But then again it seems tons of players don't even know about it in the first place.

humans get bonus traits in D&D games. however the stat bonuses the other races get are too low. some should be +3 or +4, like elves and wisdom, tieflings and dexterity.
  • Options
    unspecifiederrorunspecifiederror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    The only real competition to humans, which are a solid though boring choice, in my opinion is Tieflings and Drow.

Tieflings have that nice debuff when you get hit, and you will get hit a lot.

Drow (if you have access) have Fairie Fire which says it procs 5% of the time but it's currently more like 50%+ and reduces damage dealt by enemies by 6% and increases damage taken by enemies by 6%. That's pretty huge.

Both debuffs are, in my opinion, a reasonable alternative to 3 points in the divinity building feat (because you better take cleanse first). Divinity is obviously very important to a cleric so having less isn't ideal but it's a trade off. If you have your heart set on another race though you won't suffer much for your choice in the end.
  • Options
    kelteelkelteel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    dixa1 wrote: »
    humans get bonus traits in D&D games. however the stat bonuses the other races get are too low. some should be +3 or +4, like elves and wisdom, tieflings and dexterity.

In case of the DC the "human > all other races" are even worse, because there is no race where you can get +2 wisdom and +2 to a DC secondary stat. So the disadvantage of humans only getting +2 to one stat doesn't matter at all, when choosing a race for a DC.

On a side note, what are the stat bonuses for drow?
  • Options
    unspecifiederrorunspecifiederror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    kelteel wrote: »
    On a side note, what are the stat bonuses for drow?

+2 Dex and then +2 Wisdom or +2 Charisma. It's nothing really special. Fairie Fire is really the selling point though as I said it's not behaving as the tool tip indicates which suggests a "fix" coming, most likely a nerf but hopefully just a zero added to the tool tip instead.
  • Options
    dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    +2 Dex and then +2 Wisdom or +2 Charisma. It's nothing really special. Fairie Fire is really the selling point though as I said it's not behaving as the tool tip indicates which suggests a "fix" coming, most likely a nerf but hopefully just a zero added to the tool tip instead.

from past and recent experience with sto it's not likely to be changed at all allowing them to sell the race at 30-40 dollars or more to min/maxers.
  • Options
    maroscimarosci Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The difference is meaningless. Play whatever you want.
  • Options
    judgebanksloljudgebankslol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    3 extra feat points > 0 extra feat points.
  • Options
    trique76trique76 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    marosci wrote: »
    The difference is meaningless. Play whatever you want.

No, it is not. And this line ("Play whatever you want") should be removed FOREVER from all MMOS forums. Some people DO care about min/max, for the best race/class combination. It is their way to play and they are free to enjoy the game as they want. People who think otherwise should avoid to reply threads like this since they have another playstyle.
    And yes, 3 feats makes a huge difference in the cleric afaik. I wanted to roll a half-elf but he wont to that good close to a human.
  • Options
    aloneshamanaloneshaman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    7k+ que on all severs first open beta day.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I've seen people with drows clerics. Can you explain why faerie fire is special/useful for clerics? And are they better than tieflings?
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    dixa1 wrote: »
    from past and recent experience with sto it's not likely to be changed at all allowing them to sell the race at 30-40 dollars or more to min/maxers.

They already said that classes and races, nor expansions, will cost extra money. What will cost money are race changes and character slots.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    aeolusdallasaeolusdallas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's best to ignore min/maxers and just play whatever race appeals to you. Other wise when the inevitable rebaancing happens every year you will just be depressed and feel the need to respec. The racial stats and abilities are pretty much inconsequential to anyone who doesn't have an OCD obsession with doing .001 percent more damage on Tuesday's during a full moon
  • Options
    direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    trique76 wrote: »
    No, it is not. And this line ("Play whatever you want") should be removed FOREVER from all MMOS forums. Some people DO care about min/max, for the best race/class combination. It is their way to play and they are free to enjoy the game as they want. People who think otherwise should avoid to reply threads like this since they have another playstyle.
    And yes, 3 feats makes a huge difference in the cleric afaik. I wanted to roll a half-elf but he wont to that good close to a human.

Yeah **** playing what you like. It's better to try and squeeze barely noticeable points out of a skill for your epeen. That's true gaming. No, the three feats probably don't make a big difference. If you have even a shred of proof, by all means, share. But until then, min/maxers should all die off.

Why? Because guess what? These games change constantly, so one advantage today may mean jack two months from now. So you may as well take a race you like now. Because the math is gonna change.

People hate minimaxers in pen and paper gaming, and the same should apply online.

Munchkins SUCK.
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • Options
    vixityvixity Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    direcrow wrote: »
    Yeah **** playing what you like. It's better to try and squeeze barely noticeable points out of a skill for your epeen. That's true gaming. No, the three feats probably don't make a big difference. If you have even a shred of proof, by all means, share. But until then, min/maxers should all die off.

Why? Because guess what? These games change constantly, so one advantage today may mean jack two months from now. So you may as well take a race you like now. Because the math is gonna change.

People hate minimaxers in pen and paper gaming, and the same should apply online.

Munchkins SUCK.

And 9 times out of 10, it's these same people that complain, like above, and do 1/50th of the total damage in a 5 person group. Then they post on forums how they're "oh so underpowered". Not all, but most.
  • Options
    xantrisxantris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Human's the best race for pretty much everything. The 3 feat points are better than anything else currently, although we're not talking about a huge difference.
  • Options
    xantrisxantris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    direcrow wrote: »

Munchkins SUCK.

You're the guy that people kick from the group because you suck at the game (doing like 50% less damage than everyone else), and then you blame it on min-maxing and elitists... right? That seems to be the only type of player that I've ever run into that had such a vitriol response to this sort of thing.
  • Options
    elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

A less than 5% difference is not huge in any definition of the word I've ever encountered.

The truth is if you're a bad player, the best race won't make a **** bit of difference. And if you're a good one, it's trivial.
  • Options
    kromzorkromzor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    LOL @ 3 feat points being OP.

Oh, so I can get 3% more healing instead of 2%?
    9% more HP instead of 6%?

But I have ****ty stats... and i'm a boring Human.

OMG so broken!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    elyrielle wrote: »
    A less than 5% difference is not huge in any definition of the word I've ever encountered.

The truth is if you're a bad player, the best race won't make a **** bit of difference. And if you're a good one, it's trivial.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... Same words as always. Point is, in some cases, it is not about 5%. 3 extra makes does have an impact in some classes, just like they are trivial in others.
    Some players will always exceed other because they are good. That is not the point. Point is people telling others the "Play wjhat you like" because that is what THEY like. They dont bother. Others do. Period.
  • Options
    elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, yeah, yeah... Same words as always. Point is, in some cases, it is not about 5%. 3 extra makes does have an impact in some classes, just like they are trivial in others.
    Some players will always exceed other because they are good. That is not the point. Point is people telling others the "Play wjhat you like" because that is what THEY like. They dont bother. Others do. Period.

Others like to make a mountain out of a molehill? Yea, I get that :P

Just pointing out, it really isn't a mountain.
  • Options
    kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited May 2013
    I've seen people with drows clerics. Can you explain why faerie fire is special/useful for clerics? And are they better than tieflings?

Drow proc is on attack and debuffs both defence and damage of the mob by 5 or 6%. This debuff helps the whole party do more damage to the mob.
    Tiefling proc is on hit and reduces the mob damage, the only good thing about Tieflings is the +5% damage vs targets with less than 50% life, but only for Tiefling.
  • Options
    thegrantisimothegrantisimo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Depressing thread, RIP lvl 45 elf cleric. time to roll a human :(
  • Options
    ashandra129ashandra129 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    He also asked what stats are the best for the cleric. (eg. 20-13-13 wis-cha-str?)

I am also wondering about this, from a person with an insight on it obviously - not someone who will tell me any will do. Sure any will do, I'm just curious about opinions on what the optimal numbers are. :)
  • Options
    deahamletdeahamlet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    vixity wrote: »
    And 9 times out of 10, it's these same people that complain, like above, and do 1/50th of the total damage in a 5 person group. Then they post on forums how they're "oh so underpowered". Not all, but most.

LOLz. Please proceed to only take human clerics in your parties, it will spare me having to ever deal with such ridiculousness as your claims.
    3 extra feat points means more Cleanse goes off. Do you know just how often that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> is spamming my screen between Astral Seal and Divinity Shield? People are not even getting hit with anything to Cleanse as often as this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> spams my screen and I only put 1 out of 3 pips into it.

You're making a huge fuss over those 3 feat points and making ridiculous claims of 1/50th of the damage. I top heal charts by a huge mile and am always 2nd or 3rd in DPS. You're going to beat me by that huge of a factor with extra 2 points in Cleanse and 1 point in divine power? HAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    deahamletdeahamlet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    He also asked what stats are the best for the cleric. (eg. 20-13-13 wis-cha-str?)

I am also wondering about this, from a person with an insight on it obviously - not someone who will tell me any will do. Sure any will do, I'm just curious about opinions on what the optimal numbers are. :)

Depends on your build, to be honest.
    I went for crit and recovery because after much thinking and loads of discussions... power has diminishing returns, crit does not and there's a few nice feats that get triggered from crits. And higher recovery means lower CD on encounters and I loves my encounters. With one of the feats, I get divine power every time an encounter comes off of CD and also I want that Daunting light spammable for the pesky ads that chase me.

So focus on STR and CHA. I went for 16 STR, 18 WIS and 14 CHA, I think (half-elf). All level ups to STR and CHA.
    An alternative is to start high WIS and high CHA, I'm not sure if even then it's not better to focus on crit/recovery on gear.
    I tend to choose mostly defense as the third with some power stats in places (the weapon at 60 comes with power as well).
  • Options
    maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I see no reason to invest anything in STR at all, it's only a recommended stat because it's the default for the Cleric class, but since this is the Devoted Cleric that can't use melee weapons there is no real good benefit from STR at all since it only applies to melee powers which the devoted cleric doesn't have access to.

Can't wait for them to put the Battle Cleric in the game.
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success