test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Getting dizzy playing the game

goldenavarielgoldenavariel Member Posts: 40 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
My wife and I are both getting dizzy and general motion sickness playing the game. This is a first for us and we've never encountered it before in previous games (NWN 1, COH, GW2, STO). I mostly blame the way the mouse is locked down but not sure. I've tried adjusting graphics both up and down and it doesn't help at all. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The way it is now I doubt we'll be able to continue playing much.
Post edited by goldenavariel on

Comments

• Options
    angryweirdoangryweirdo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 117 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    someone mentioned the screenshake being the thing to cause that. turn it off
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    It is off. Not that I've noticed a lot of it before I did.
  • Options
    trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's the "fishbowl" effect.

Plenty of people get it, including myself. You'll see it a lot in FPS and 3rd person shooters. Something that will help, turn down your mouse sensitivity. So when you turn it will help to limit the "fishbowl" effect.

Secondly turn off bloom and, as the above poster stated, screen shake. Turning down the brightness will also help. Finally, learn to focus your eyes on where you're going or what you're targeting instead of your character. This is something you might have to train yourself to do since most people end up focusing on their character instead of their environment.

Edit:

As an FYI, keyboard turners will have a MUCH harder time than anyone else. I dunno if you're a keyboard turner or not but it really does make a difference learning how to strafe run with your mouse.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    You listed a bunch of standard RPG Mode video games.

This game, due mainly to the action combat mechanics, runs as a Third Person Shooter.
    It can take some getting used to if you have never seen it before but it should get better in time.

Adjusting the mouse sensitivity should improve the feelings and can always be adjusted up after you get used to it.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I have avoided shooter-style games on purpose as I dislike the controls but I seem to be stuck with it in this game. I'll try what Trickshaw has suggested and see if it helps. Worst case we'll move on to other games. *shrug*
  • Options
    morvek01morvek01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    My wife is having this problem as well. Might have wasted the $200 for her founders pack as she is getting headaches while playing. Hope they can figure out a fixed camera option.
    If you can't be constructive in your criticism, go back to world-of-whiners.
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    My wife and I are both getting dizzy and general motion sickness playing the game. This is a first for us and we've never encountered it before in previous games (NWN 1, COH, GW2, STO). I mostly blame the way the mouse is locked down but not sure. I've tried adjusting graphics both up and down and it doesn't help at all. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The way it is now I doubt we'll be able to continue playing much.

There are special yellow lense glasses made for this problem, our roommate has them can't remember the name but they are made for staring at the computer screen for hours and actually reduce significantly the motion sickness people sometimes experience from gaming.

When he spends hours playing his FPS games he has to take dramamine but when he's just spending an hour or so on the game he uses the glasses.
  • Options
    metsurometsuro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There are special yellow lense glasses made for this problem, our roommate has them can't remember the name but they are made for staring at the computer screen for hours and actually reduce significantly the motion sickness people sometimes experience from gaming.

When he spends hours playing his FPS games he has to take dramamine but when he's just spending an hour or so on the game he uses the glasses.

If you are referring to the gunnard glasses what ever those are more so to help with the eye fatigue caused by blue light. There is a software solution. Called f.lux that does the same thing. However it doesn't work in alot of video games. But on the general desk top it does.

Alot of motion sickness is caused by limited field of view. For alot of people anything below 120 will cause some nausea. Most mmos try to stay at 70 for some odd reason. Might want to try and figure out what the fov is for Neverwinter.
  • Options
    nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i have same issues with a lot of games nowadays... witcher 2 was horrible with the blurr - what helped A LOT for me is when i started playing neverwinter on the tv for some reason...no more issues. Maybe because the screen is much bigger?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    No luck. I guess it just wasn't meant to be for us to play this game. I wish I hadn't bought the founder's packs now but it never occurred to me that the controls would be any different than the other Cryptic games I'd played. Oh well.
  • Options
    bethelynbethelyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I get motion sick with every mmo that I play. This has been the case since EQ. Normally it takes a couple weeks to overcome it. One thing that helps is taking a fourth (or bit less) of a Dramamine pill prior to playing. I wouldn't give up because shortly you may not have an issue at all.
  • Options
    dlcarterdlcarter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Eye problems I have.
    Now on my desktop with 24" monitor, can't play this or STO.
    Switch to my quad core Acer laptop hook it up to my 32 in tv and no problems..
    Resolution for me is a factor on my desktop it is @ 1680x1050.
    The laptop TV combo is set at 1360x768.
    When I tried to play NWO on my desktop just could not do it because it was so small.
    I am not lost, I am exploring. All who wander are not lost.
    Not all who seem to be lost want to be found.
    :D
  • Options
    snarftasticsnarftastic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Any fast-paced combat game with camera controls such as this or an FPS will do this to you. There is no way around it, this is the way it is designed and I love it, if my eyes get tired I just take a break... especially after some crazy pvp battles, but then again my eyes are pretty much trained for this kind of motion on the screen after playing so many different types of games.

Sounds like you might need slower-paced games if this is a continuing issue.
  • Options
    snarftasticsnarftastic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    bethelyn wrote: »
    I get motion sick with every mmo that I play. This has been the case since EQ. Normally it takes a couple weeks to overcome it. One thing that helps is taking a fourth (or bit less) of a Dramamine pill prior to playing. I wouldn't give up because shortly you may not have an issue at all.

Okay... taking pills to play games is NOT a solution LOL. Sounds like a problem.
  • Options
    dtrain69dtrain69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is so strange, and yet interesting as to why this happens.
  • Options
    wmeffectivenesswmeffectiveness Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited April 2013
    Mouse sensitivity does it for me all the time (or stick sensitivity in console games).
    And even though I'm sure we ALL follow this advice, it bears repeating; every hour or so take a few minutes away to rest your eyes.
    Other than that...I've got nothing to offer, except human beings seem able to adjust to any situation given enough time.
  • Options
    aullah12aullah12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I heard there is a way to change fov but I cant find the file to edit. Anyone?
  • Options
    az3ll3az3ll3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 33
    edited April 2013
    Mouse sensitivity takes it away for me also, just need to test to see which speed is fine for you, it might help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 384 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I am just thankful that I have never experienced this problem in any game I have played. I can stay at the computer for hours on end, get up and the only thing that hurts is my backside from sitting so long...other then that I can stay on for as long as I want or need to.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I'd never encountered it before either which is why I was so surprised it happened here. The odd thing is that I steer with the mouse in most games (with a little keyboard assist for speed) so I didn't think it would be a huge problem, just learn to not hold down the right mouse button and use keyboard commands to attack. But we start getting dizzy right away and 30 minutes is pretty much our limit with a good long (hours) wait between sessions.
  • Options
    balthezar2balthezar2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Only problem I've ever had with games was after I fell off a roof. Since then I haven't been comfortable with heights, and once while playing Jedi Knight I was standing on a ledge of a building and looked down, and instant vertigo, in a game. Now THAT was weird.
  • Options
    teemowillkillyouteemowillkillyou Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I somehow relate to this, some games especially those fast-paced/high sensitivity ones cause vertigo to me. IDK the solution for this but quit that certain game. Too bad you're experiencing this stuff on NW.
  • Options
    symonhumbleuksymonhumbleuk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 89
    edited April 2013
    I suffer from epilepsy and i am all to used to this.
    Not just this game but many games.

Usually for me turning off post processing will reduce your symptoms, also with alot of newer games, devs focus details on your immediate vacinity, so without you realising, you are concentrating on this area more, whilst the horizon will or may look slightly blurred, so when you take your eyes off your focal point, it will cause headaches.

Like i said try the post processing off, and lower the antistropic filters a bit.
    My Web: http://www.symonator.net
    Toons:
    New: CW Level 60
    GF = Level 60
    DC = Level 60
    TR = Level 60
  • Options
    unimatrixalpha1unimatrixalpha1 Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As trickshaw has stated earlier, it's definitely the "fish bowl" (fish lens) effect that is causing the dizziness. I was able to change the FOV by editing the Gameprefs.pref file in the Cryptic Studios/Neverwinter/Live/Localdata/ folder. The default FOV is "55." Just to test it, I changed it to 120, and immediately saw the "fish bowl/fish lens effect and the post processing like blur was significant. I turned it down to 75 and it's better now.

When starting the game, it seemed to start at the default "55" FOV but then would change FOV that I edited (75) in certain instances like changing maps or transitioning from one gate to another.

If you change the setting, make sure to make a backup copies of the original Gameprefs.pref file as well as the edited one, since game updates/patches may replace the file.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    When editing the Gameprefs.pref file, the line for the FOV change is "GfxSettings.DefaultFov 55"
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    That sounds promising. What do you use to edit the Gameprefs.pref file? Notepad seems to screw it up.
  • Options
    nighthalasnighthalas Member Posts: 55
    edited April 2013
    I used to get really horrible motion sickness in Half-Life 2 and had to quit it after a week or two. I discovered that changing field of view fixed the problem but by that time I couldn't stand even the sight of the game anymore. Now Half-Life 2 is forever associated with motion sickness for me. Fortunately, it is the only game out of hundreds I've tried in which motion sickness was so horrible. I really hope Neverwinter is not like that.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I just used Notepad, without any word wrapping.
  • Options
    kadlenakadlena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298
    edited April 2013
    Okay... taking pills to play games is NOT a solution LOL. Sounds like a problem.

It's used all the time for motion sickness. And is often temporary, until a person adjusts to new motions. I took it for the first couple of days of a cruise. After that, my body adapted to the new motions of the boat, and I didn't need it for the rest of the trip.

It's basically a Benadryl with a caffeine component added (to help counteract the drowsiness of benadryl.) I take Benadryl at bedtime throughout allergy season.

So normally, I'd agree that taking pills for a game is silly....but we are talking pretty mild stuff here.

If I was having trouble with a new game, I'd probably try one of these OTC drugs for a few days at least.

Edited to add: Just thought of "Sea-Band." It's an accupressure wrist band that people use for motion sickness. (no drugs.)

I've never used it myself, but some of my patients claim that it works just as well as the OTC drugs.

Maybe the OP & wife could give that a try. Costs under $10.
  • Options
    kalizaarkalizaar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can change your FOV in-game using the command: /gfxSetDefaultFOV XX where XX is the FOV that you want. I think the default is 55 and most people suggest something like 70.