test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A few questions regarding Outdoor maps and detail choices

grigzbygrigzby Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9
edited September 2014 in The Foundry
Short of placing cobbelstone tiles or patches of dirt individually, is there any other way to have that type of terrain coverage on an empty outdoor map?

Also, when using undamaged Village buildings are you unable to move them around with the 3D editor? I know I can adjust them by hard-coding the x,y,z values, but I've noticed that I can't move them at all when I play test the map.

And finally, could anyone explain to me what projectors are and how geometry versus terrain works.

Sorry for so many questions in one post. I'm new to the foundry toolset, so any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Short of placing cobbelstone tiles or patches of dirt individually, is there any other way to have that type of terrain coverage on an empty outdoor map?

Don't place too many small stuff or you will run out of budget limits too soon. Forgo small details.
    Small details must be placed indiviually like in Legos, its hard work. Each and every peice must be rotated carefully and kept.

Also, when using undamaged Village buildings are you unable to move them around with the 3D editor? I know I can adjust them by hard-coding the x,y,z values, but I've noticed that I can't move them at all when I play test the map.
    You can move all, but there was a bug which made a copy of the village building in edit mode. It was only a visual bug though and went away when you save (Ctrl+Tab)

And finally, could anyone explain to me what projectors are and how geometry versus terrain works.

Projectors are better, but they might not show up on low-end graphics systems.
  • grigzbygrigzby Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for the quick response!

I'm still a little confused on projectors though. How exactly do you use them?

BTW...that's a great set of manuals you've been putting together - extremely helpful.
  • tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Projectors are exactly what they sound like. Imagine the kind of projector you use when holding a presentation. This is the same. You are projecting a specific image onto the surface of anything it "shines" upon. This can be very handy when, say, you want blood splatters across multiple objects.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    tilt42 wrote: »
    Projectors are exactly what they sound like. Imagine the kind of projector you use when holding a presentation. This is the same. You are projecting a specific image onto the surface of anything it "shines" upon. This can be very handy when, say, you want blood splatters across multiple objects.
    QFT
    to add to above, just place them like objects rotating them and placing them while varying their height.
  • grigzbygrigzby Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9
    edited April 2013
    Simple enough.

Thank you very much.
    edited April 2013
    Still unable to move Village buildings around in 3D edit mode. The destroyed village buildings work fine...it's just the undamaged ones that won't work. I followed the advice above, but still not working. Any one else having this problem?
  • thunderspankerthunderspanker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 713 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    just my two cents, i dont use them

i come from a very adventurous family, so we dont restrict ourselves.

UPDATE: lol. i am 100 percent sure this is in the wrong area, and 100 percent aware that i am never gonna find where this post goes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Himmelville - Are you easily frightened?
    Click Here

On one side of the mountain, there were bones...
  • tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I believe the adjusting of buildings with doors is disabled in the current version of the Foundry because it caused problems. For those particular objects, adjust them in 2D mode instead.
  • c0mixfanc0mixfan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    to add to above, just place them like objects rotating them and placing them while varying their height.

I've tried this and I just can't get the projector (large spider web in my case) to display on the wall. I've moved it up & down, left & right, flipped it and rotated it every which way and just cannot see any spider web displaying on the wall.

Any advice would be immensely appreciated!
    Please play, rate, & review my very first Foundry Quest!

The X Factor Campaign NWS-DCO7OKB6F

Quest #1: The Morning After NW-D13LX4M93

Quest #2 Coming Soon!

Just for fun - Night of the Werebeast! NW-DT5EIZKZZ
  • oggbroxoggbrox Member Posts: 152 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    c0mixfan wrote: »
    I've tried this and I just can't get the projector (large spider web in my case) to display on the wall. I've moved it up & down, left & right, flipped it and rotated it every which way and just cannot see any spider web displaying on the wall.

Any advice would be immensely appreciated!

Got the same problem with the snow-projector.
    Please help us! :)
    Quests I like to share:

A CURIOUS DISAPPEARANCE by Sphecida: NW-DDLEOFL2Q
    A CRY UNANSWERED by obsidianw0lf: NW-DGNBAX3RD
    SIEGEBREAKER by ash4all: NW-DGDPWV2U5
  • bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    What are your graphics settings? I have heard, (not certain it's true) that they don't appear at all on low settings, which would explain why I can't see them either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Snow projectors and snow-capped (dirt-capped, moss-capped, etc) details require HIGH shader settings.