test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please for the love of all that is holy

netrngrnetrngr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Devs I dont know if this subject has been broached before so ill keep it short. Please disable the use of current mythos character names. I think I will go completely insane if i see hundreds of Drizzit's running around the world. Lets try and pull a slight bit of creativity out of our user base. Again, sorry if this has already been discussed. Looking to be a great game and I cant wait for Sat.
Post edited by netrngr on

Comments

• Options
    mandodo69mandodo69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 6
    edited April 2013
    Sad to say I have seen more than at least 15 so far.
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    And you weren't expecting this because.... ?
  • Options
    fyrestorme1fyrestorme1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 98
    edited April 2013
    Forget that, how about just making it so people can't name themselves TitsMcAssFudge or bunchofrandomlettersandcharacters ??

:mad:

and yes, I do realize my FORUM name isn't exactly role-play-appropriate, but I'm not talking about forum names; I'm talking about in-game character names.
  • Options
    mklein2836mklein2836 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 46
    edited April 2013
    Flint Battle hammer will be me name. An amalgamation of two great dwarves. or maybe Son 'O Pwent
  • Options
    delgatto42delgatto42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Yesterday there was a dev that went on the record saying only obscenities will be "an issue." Look for the thread called something like "3 mins in and already" or some such.
    When he gets to Heaven To Saint Peter he will say, "Hand me 4d6. Lets roll the dice and play!"
  • Options
    kimberixkimberix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This makes me laugh - do these people somehow think that by naming their avatars after an established fictional character they become special in some way? If so, how do they feel if everyone also uses the same names?

Personally, as long as they don't use abusive or sexist names, then I'm not too bothered - but it does make me wonder about the psyche of some of these players.

Unfortunately, the way the Cryptic have implemented the naming convention, I imagine that a) they knew this was going to happen and b) they implemented a feature to allow this to happen

Your truly

Drizzt

:)
  • Options
    fyrestorme1fyrestorme1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 98
    edited April 2013
    They could try and go the route of simutronics and make some special servers where you have to pay an extra fee to play on it to discourage people who aren't serious about getting into the fantasy world of the game. They also have round-the-clock, close GM monitoring on their premium shards.
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Maybe in a world where there are now so many Drow who have freed themselves of the evil of traditional Drow society it is not uncommon for them to name their offspring after that famous original Drow rebel. Or even for adults to take the name as their own.

I am Spartacus!
  • Options
    perfesserpoopperfesserpoop Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If you care that much about what other people do in video games that doesn't affect you in any way, I'm sorry to say that life is going to be very fustrating for you. You might not make it.

Don't have a stroke dude, clam down. Have some tea. Maybe a little perspective might help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Just saying, I have 2 friends named Eric and 3 named John. Maybe Drizzt is a common name as he is a hero of the territory.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    If you care that much about what other people do in video games that doesn't affect you in any way, I'm sorry to say that life is going to be very fustrating for you. You might not make it.

Don't have a stroke dude, clam down. Have some tea. Maybe a little perspective might help.

People like you make my face and my palm hurt
  • Options
    ronbo68ronbo68 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Melanderi wrote
    Hey Adventurers, let's not turn on each other here- keep it civil and constructive!

Drizzt is of course a much beloved character, and many players may choose to emulate their favorite characters. This is not something we are banning over.

The only name restrictions we have are against profanity/offensive names. You're not fooling anyone with "sofa king awesome," the GMs are from the internet and we are older than time. *shakes cane, mutters something about a lawn*

And also wrote...
    I'm very disappointed that this thread has continued in this way.

As I stated previously, per Wizards of the Coast there is NO IP violation for names from the Forgotten Realms.

I had hoped that we could all show some maturity here and not concern ourselves with the naming conventions of others. Just as you are free to name your character BoBo B'Jumbo, so is your fellow player allowed to be named Drizzt.

There is an old RP'ing rule that states: Don't RP with bad rp'ers. If you feel that someone named Drizzt makes for bad RP, don't RP with them.

There is NO reason to insult each other on the forums, so I'm ending this here. If you have questions about naming policies, Please let me know and I would be happy to help.

Just throwing this in here now from the last thread that was started about this. :)
  • Options
    syrelinsyrelin Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree it's a bit meh to see so many Drizzt and other variations, but at the same time... it is a drow name, so I guess as long as they come up with something else than Do'Urden as a lastname... I can accept it.
  • Options
    vortexasvortexas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 52
    edited April 2013
    I just won't party with, or help them in anyway. Might hinder me at times sure, but with any luck them more so.
  • Options
    taeryltaeryl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited April 2013
    I'm not one of the offenders, but I don't know why this is bothering people so much... This has been going on since the existence of online games and it's not going to change just because the D&D label has been stamped on this game. Why do people believe that just because this is a "D&D" game that it should be held to a higher standard than any other MMO, like WoW? As long as their names aren't vulgar, obscene, sexist, etc. then it should not matter. Please remember this is a MMO first and a D&D game second and some people don't play MMOs for the RP aspect, so the name isn't as important to them as the experience or gameplay. If it really bothers you that much, don't interact with the players/characters with these names and go on enjoying the game.
  • Options
    driizzttdriizztt Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hi
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • Options
    driizzttdriizztt Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Xa00axa0xa0ax0x0a0xa0xax0a0xa0xa0xa0
  • Options
    az3ll3az3ll3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 33
    edited April 2013
    I LOLed :)
    About the names, I don't care as long as they don't claim to be Drizzt :p just a name like Eric or John anyway, probably made more common from the hero. Stupid names though, I frown upon, like those not respecting the EULA, now those I would boycott the player, sorry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    While I don't follow the D&D lore, I do find it fairly odd that people would be offended by people using the same name as a lore based character especially if they are not using the second name too... my name in real life is Kellie should I go around besmirching everyone else that would ever have the audacity at birth to be named Kellie too?

I do find it fairly odd however when people copy the second name as well... but I don't hold it against some one, perhaps I would keep them at arms length however but would never be rude towards some one for a choice of their computer game character.
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • Options
    xratasxratas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    In real world, there are quite a few people named after heroes from books. For example, Mohamed is quite popular in some parts of world, I've been told.

So nothing wrong in billion Drizzts I'd say. Maybe even guilds for Drizzts only... ; )
  • Options
    bigxwheelbigxwheel Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Clearly there was a market for people who wanted to play a dark elf renegade, with a panther companion and faerie fire, and pretend to be a character they like from a series of books. Who cares. Don't like it? Try pen and paper because forcing unique names will only result in more irritating derivations Ddrriiztt
  • Options
    rectalmasterrectalmaster Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Better this way than ppl running around calling themselves DarkShadowStalkerDeathStarxx69
  • Options
    vortexasvortexas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 52
    edited April 2013
    Just ignore them. Don't speak with them, rp with them, run dungeons with them or conduct trade with them. Let them pay the price for blowing 200 bucks to be the first of 1000 Drizzt Clones.
  • Options
    askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    netrngr wrote: »
    Devs I dont know if this subject has been broached before so ill keep it short. Please disable the use of current mythos character names. I think I will go completely insane if i see hundreds of Drizzit's running around the world. Lets try and pull a slight bit of creativity out of our user base. Again, sorry if this has already been discussed. Looking to be a great game and I cant wait for Sat.

Yea I know, so classless.

Just blows my mind why anyone would want to use a Salvatore or other Author's content. So childish.

I keep seeing some dude named "Bruenor Battlehammer" recruiting for his guild "Mithral Hall"

/facepalm

So unoriginal. I'm just gonna ignore anyone that plagiarizes known author's like Salvatore. Its tacky.
  • Options
    askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    xratas wrote: »
    In real world, there are quite a few people named after heroes from books. For example, Mohamed is quite popular in some parts of world, I've been told.

So nothing wrong in billion Drizzts I'd say. Maybe even guilds for Drizzts only... ; )

Just more signs of the "warcraft" generation. Can't wait to see what kind of dooosch-baggery they come up with at max level.
  • Options
    perfesserpoopperfesserpoop Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    People like you make my face and my palm hurt
    You're right. Let's all get our rage on, **** people enjoying video games however they want. HOW DARE THEY. HOW DARE THEY!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Yea I know, so classless.

Just blows my mind why anyone would want to use a Salvatore or other Author's content. So childish.

I keep seeing some dude named "Bruenor Battlehammer" recruiting for his guild "Mithral Hall"

/facepalm

So unoriginal. I'm just gonna ignore anyone that plagiarizes known author's like Salvatore. Its tacky.

It has already been stated by Cryptic that these names are acceptable. It is not plagiarism fyi
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    vortexas wrote: »
    Just ignore them. Don't speak with them, rp with them, run dungeons with them or conduct trade with them. Let them pay the price for blowing 200 bucks to be the first of 1000 Drizzt Clones.

Just /ignore them and start them down the path to a 24 hour chat ban. :D
  • Options
    netrngrnetrngr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    taeryl wrote: »
    I'm not one of the offenders, but I don't know why this is bothering people so much... This has been going on since the existence of online games and it's not going to change just because the D&D label has been stamped on this game. Why do people believe that just because this is a "D&D" game that it should be held to a higher standard than any other MMO, like WoW? As long as their names aren't vulgar, obscene, sexist, etc. then it should not matter. Please remember this is a MMO first and a D&D game second and some people don't play MMOs for the RP aspect, so the name isn't as important to them as the experience or gameplay. If it really bothers you that much, don't interact with the players/characters with these names and go on enjoying the game.
    driizztt wrote: »
    Hi
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    driizztt wrote: »
    Xa00axa0xa0ax0x0a0xa0xax0a0xa0xa0xa0

*sigh* Because some people haven't taught their children how to act in polite society and this is the average Drizzit in video games. Oh well such is life and I apologize for bringing up the subject again.
  • Options
    infestedchris12infestedchris12 Member Posts: 37
    edited April 2013
    I find it pathetic that so many people can't even come up with an original unique name. Do their pathetic brains even process an once of creativity?
This discussion has been closed.