test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gateway - Character Selection issue

zanarkheneldzanarkheneld Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
I can't access my main character through the gateway. I click on her and nothing happens. I can access my other character just fine . Could it be because she has an apostrophe in her name? Please fix this.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by zanarkheneld on

Comments

• iamsortiamsort Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13
    edited April 2013
    same problem here.
    can use it for my rogue but can not use it for my great fighter and yes he has an ' in his name.
  • zanarkheneldzanarkheneld Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I bet that's it. I wish they would fix it. =(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • trodomirtrodomir Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Same issue with me. Apostrophe in name is looking very much like the issue. Will test with new char later today.

Devs: better escaping of input?
  • immagikman2immagikman2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I didnt have an apostrophe in my chars name and still cannot acces it on the gateway, it just times out. Nyght_Leaf is the character name.
    If your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.
  • khurahekhurahe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Same issue here, with an apostrophe

Any chance this will be fixed soon? or free Character rename token to fix the issue on the player side while Dev debug this?

Make it idiot proof and a better idiot will show up
  • thatdamnavatarthatdamnavatar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, same issue here. Character has an apostrophe in his name. Nadnolu'imar Aleiryn.
  • uggsmashuggsmash Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 68
    edited April 2013
    I have 5 characters, but can only access 3. The two I can't access have apostrophes in them, so I'm guessing the website can't handle that?
  • arti78arti78 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    having this same problem myself, have an apostrophe in the name, too.

Also it's my 3rd character slot, had this problem back during BW4 but forgot to post about it.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm having the same issue, also have an apostrophe in my name.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • jakothedancejakothedance Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Same here, apostrophe in name.
  • ogcaptainnastyogcaptainnasty Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Same issue here. 3rd character has an apostrophe in the name. It's the only character I can't access in the Gateway.
  • capnbluddcapnbludd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well add me to the list, character with an apostrophe can't use gateway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dec/2008
  • uggsmashuggsmash Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 68
    edited April 2013
    Still can't view those same two characters.
  • opdude1337opdude1337 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am unable to access any of my characters :\
  • shane1120shane1120 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
  • digidagdigidag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 60
    edited April 2013
    Can't access my character through the Gateway either, has an Apostrophe in his name like pretty much everyone else here. Kind of annoyed at it really, since my entire client decided to CTD every 5 or so minutes ever since an hour ago. So I can't play, nor do my crafting.
  • elmarcoelmarco Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    . . . . . Indeed, I've as well concluded that it is the apostrophes in my character names that make them not be able to be viewed in the Gateway. When I navigate away from the page after clicking on a character with an apostrophe in it, I see for a split second a pop-up message saying "You have been disconnected." I had reported this issue back in the Beta Weekends.
  • riaxxisriaxxis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Same guess they don't like Drow names and such. But yeah can't access my character in gateway either.....
  • opdude1337opdude1337 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hi guys,

I was unable to select my character in the gateway screen, this was down to me having a special character such as an apostrophe. In fact I am able to fix the script you have written quite easily in two ways, one by escaping the char with a slash or the more preferred method as you don't allow quotation marks in character names would be to replace the quotes with double like the below example

client.characterSelect("Char' name");

For those who can't access their chars you can also just go the following page url:

http://gateway.playneverwinter.com/#char(CHARACTERNAME@ACCOUNTNAME)/

replace the names accordingly :)

Thanks,
    Opdude
    edited April 2013
    I have written a post with a fix for you guys who have apostrophes in your char names, check it out here
  • jerrys514jerrys514 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am having a related issue. When i log into the game , none of my characters are showing up :( Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated .. thanks in advance.LOL it isnt letting me log into the gateway hahahah , my luck hah, so i cant get in there and check the thread and see how i can possibly fix this problem.
    edited April 2013
    opdude1337: It took me a few mins to figure out what you meant, but got it working. Its a short term fix, but I'll take it :) Thx

jerrys514: Sorry bud, not sure how to fix.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    . . . . .Merged two more threads on this same issue. A few posts may seem out of place, if so.. this is why.
  • kwwballkwwball Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm not sure how to make this work with how opdude1337 described it.

If you have a character with an apostrophe in your name how can you select them?
  • sweatapodimassweatapodimas Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    yep, apostrophe in character name, clicking on character in selection screen does nothing. Tried the url to professions and received an error.
    "Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny" - Frank Zappa
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Dear Mr. Dude...you are truly OP and 1337. Thanks for the fix. Using that URL worked perfectly for me.

Kwwball, I logged into my gateway account, then clicked the link, and replaced the CHARACTERNAME@ACCOUNTNAME.

Worked like a charm.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
    edited April 2013
    As long as I enter their full URLs, I can access them after logging in:

[HTML]https://gateway.playneverwinter.com/#char('Old Zeb'@zebular)/
    https://gateway.playneverwinter.com/#char(Zek 'Elf-ear' Teldir@zebular)/[/HTML]

However, this does not resolve the issue of not being able to click them on the list page. The only way I can access these characters is by the urls above, after logging into Gateway.

This issue has been escalated.

Here's an older post of mine on this from beta:
    On Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows 7 Home Premium, Chrome:
    I log in and can see my character Myradaxx Dae'Vesh@zebular just fine, however when I click on her nothing happens. Then when I navigate away from that page, for just a fraction of a second I see a pop-up that wasn't being displayed, stating "You have been disconnected from the server."

On Windows Vista Home Premium, IE9:
    Pressing Login does nothing. I do not see any anomolies like I stated with chrome even though I suspect something similar is happening.

On my iPod Touch (Opera Browser):
    When I click on my character I get the disconected screen every time, here are a couple screen shots from the iPod, the 2nd shows the disconnect:

attachment.php?attachmentid=2401attachment.php?attachmentid=2411

edited April 2013
    kwwball wrote: »
    I'm not sure how to make this work with how opdude1337 described it.

If you have a character with an apostrophe in your name how can you select them?

Sorry think my url got a bit muddled in the merging of these threads...

http://gateway.playneverwinter.com/#CHARACTERNAMEWITHAPOSTROPHE@ACCOUNTNAME)/

If you replace the two caps between the @ to your character name you will be able to go to your characters page :). For example if you had a char called Fre'd then you would go to

http://gateway.playneverwinter.com/#Fre'd@kwwball)/

Hope that helps.
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Dear Mr. Dude...you are truly OP and 1337. Thanks for the fix. Using that URL worked perfectly for me.

Your welcome... I wish I didn't have to add the 1337 in my name makes me feel arrogant but someone stole my nickname :P
    zebular wrote: »
    This issue has been escalated.

Point them directly at my post #21 on this thread, I can even give them the line number they need to change it's really an easy to make mistake on the code side :)

Side Note:
    Really the fix for this issue should take one guy 2 seconds.. they need to change 2 characters in the source code so I don't expect this to last a long time!
  • theincarnadine42theincarnadine42 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Opdude, you are the freaking best. Ever.