test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What makes NWO a better mmo than the others?

2»

Comments

• elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Forgotten Realms D&D for me, brings me back to high school.
  • decubisdecubis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 90
    edited April 2013
    For me it is mostly these points:

Combat system
    Holy Trinity (tank, DPS and healer. I really missed forfilling a certain role)
    The look of the game and artstyle.
    Races are nice and not to crazy like lets say Tera.
    PvE looks very strong in this game and i am all about PvE
    Greetings Decubis,
    image_160079_thumb_wide300.jpg
    Decubis: Dwarf Guardian Fighter: lvl 60
    Demic: Human Devoted Cleric: lvl 60
    Server: Beholder Guild: The Unnamed
  • argantisargantis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There is one very important aspect I overlooked as well. I was in the WoW closed beta, which would be like this games alpha. Same with DDO. In both of those games I would have been considered a Founder, in DDO I actually have my name on the Lahzaar stone. But in both of those games life forced me out of them, or my nerd rage. Now I am older and wiser, and I want to be in a game again from the beginning. I only hope that this game stays true to its roots enough to reward us loyal to it. Both DDO and WoW drastically changed over the life of the game. They really are nothing like they originally were. DDO got better, but I have not been in since epic destinies. WoW got worse. I just hope that the flavor of what makes Neverwinter special stays. If there are major reworks of feats and such, I hope it only enhances and refines them, rather than dumb them down and make the game so stupid a monkey can play it.
  • paignio328paignio328 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    to me that its set in the forgotten realms is a huge plus,also combat,free to play,graphics and the list goes on!:D
    250px-Mithril-hall.jpg

Mithral Hall is recruiting
  • chomagchomag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Combat feels like...combat!
    Good looking characters

That's about it. Sorry but I'm not stoked about it, I just hope it will tide me over till Wildstar in November.
  • darkstarmjpdarkstarmjp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Combat and the lore
  • kreslinkreslin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I love Neverwinter. I've played it a lot when it released. I hope Neverwinter Online will not ruin this fantasy world with f2p "pay to win" system.
    If the game will become to "pay to win", then it would be the ordinary mmorpg, which we have a lot. Well we'll see.
  • vylkervylker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 133 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    In my opinion for the moment that is not any open PvP in the game then pay to win will not exist
  • dweldalierdweldalier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    1) Duo'ing with my son in the Dungeons and Dragon (tm) mythology.
    2) Sharing old (pen and paper) adventure stories with him.
    3) Experiencing new stories with him.
    4) Using the Foundry and our imagination to create adventures together.

Ya I know this all sounds cheesy but I really can't wait for it.
    We have already fleshed out our first storyline and what our first two adventuring companions will be: He's a rogue I'm a cleric.

Enjoy
  • argantisargantis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I just remembered what I love most about Neverwinter Online

EARLY ACCESS YEAH BABY HERE WE COME!
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited April 2013
    vylker wrote: »
    I admit that the hype lvl for NWO is very high, many ppl are waiting to play and many are already sleepless waiting.
    So, what is this so special that NWO has? Whats the difference from the rest mmo's? Please state your thoughts of why are you so excited?

The Foundry. Cryptic's chat server. Either of those is enough, by themselves.
  • vatashavatasha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This game doesn't seem to be hyped up that much which might be a very good thing for it. Many games hype themselves up to a point where they will fail......the old we will kill wow games come to mind.
  • astaziaastazia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited April 2013
    vatasha wrote: »
    Many games hype themselves up to a point where they will fail.

Not really. Overhype is never detrimental to a game. Games that release hot have massive initial sales and population explosions that recover development costs, then as the hype dies and many people realize the game isn't for them there's a mass exodus of people leaving the game. People see this as failing, but it's not, because these games usually remain at very comfortable and profitable population numbers. Games like RIFT and TOR people think failed because they are at a fraction of their "starting" levels, but in reality both games made a lot of money and continue to do so. Getting a million people who would otherwise have no interest in buying (or investing in) your game to drop money on it just because of hype is an amazing start for a game, even if all those people leave after the first few months.

After a game has been out for a while people no longer feel the need to rush to buy it or be in from the start, so they take more time researching and watching videos and you get a lot less impulse buys. PWE has shot itself in the foot by doing this "soft" release with no fanfare. They might have been able to double their guardian pack buyers with some marketing and hype generation and by calling the release what it is, the release.
  • vatashavatasha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    astazia wrote: »
    Not really. Overhype is never detrimental to a game. Games that release hot have massive initial sales and population explosions that recover development costs, then as the hype dies and many people realize the game isn't for them there's a mass exodus of people leaving the game. People see this as failing, but it's not, because these games usually remain at very comfortable and profitable population numbers. Games like RIFT and TOR people think failed because they are at a fraction of their "starting" levels, but in reality both games made a lot of money and continue to do so. Getting a million people who would otherwise have no interest in buying (or investing in) your game to drop money on it just because of hype is an amazing start for a game, even if all those people leave after the first few months.

After a game has been out for a while people no longer feel the need to rush to buy it or be in from the start, so they take more time researching and watching videos and you get a lot less impulse buys. PWE has shot itself in the foot by doing this "soft" release with no fanfare. They might have been able to double their guardian pack buyers with some marketing and hype generation and by calling the release what it is, the release.

If you want long term players then you had better live up to your hype. What happens is you over hype a game. Millions of players come overload the servers, lag everything, get gold spammers crawling out of the wood work and many of the things they hyped don't work or are not in the game yet. After 30-60 days most of your player base is gone.....short term gain, long term pain.

This game will have plenty of cash shop packs that people will buy. Many folk tend to pay out the nose for micro trans.
  • astaziaastazia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited April 2013
    vatasha wrote: »
    After 30-60 days most of your player base is gone.

This always happens though. A game can release with no hype and have 300k people try it and only keep 100k, or it can vastly overhype and get 1000k people to try and only be left with 100k. Losing 90% of your player base post launch is not failure when 70% of them wouldn't have bought the game without the hype and your target population number is only 50k.

I'm not saying NW isn't going to be a success, just that they could have blown this up and had a much bigger burst of income to start with.
  • chomagchomag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I agree that hype tends to kill a game if it goes up past decency.

You see, the devs of a game start advertising the features and players start imagining. In their minds they envision these features as nearing perfection and the devs do very little to convince them otherwise. When the game is finally out, they are exposed to the hard truth and discover that the features they wanted so much are pretty much bare-bones and really not what they thought they would be. Then they become disappointed, then angry, then they get banned from the forums for criticizing the game, aka trolling, and calling their detractors "biodrones". Not long after that, the game has barely a 3rd of the initial playerbase.

Oh wait, that was me and swtor.
  • bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think the D&D tie-in coupled with the Foundry are the big selling points. The combat is not great, but it's passable. The character customization is limited, but again, passable. Skill trees are... said it already.

It's an "okay" game but with the Foundry and the D&D environment it's a dang star.
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
  • elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Usually the detriment that hype has on a game is the community left over after the initial zerg comes through and leaves. They tend to be split up among a bunch of servers of variable population and the company has to figure out how to do merges and transfers without actually DOING that because of the public stigma such things represent ("game fail" and population decline). Sometimes that perception itself of a "dead" world (when it's only just smaller) causes people to leave.

Fortunately with Cryptic's one server technology (whenever that arrives here) that's really not a problem in this game.
  • prysianprysian Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    I actually don't see much hype for it. When I recently mentioned Neverwinter to some MMO veterans among my friends, none of them had heard of it.

That's probably a good thing. Too much hype has raised the expectations of many consumers and caused them to become angry and quit the game early due to disappointment. This way Neverwinter can slowly develop and stand on its own merits instead of going the way of WAR, AoC, and so many others.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    For me the fact that it's a D&D FR MMO , that allows me to not only play a character in that realm but also build my own quest. Also this is a MMO that isn't full of inane pop culture references and isn't developed by and for hipsters.

Cryptic has some serious potential here, if they play their cards right this could be their breakout title, but there are things they are going to have to stop doing and things they are going to have to start doing. I want go into specifics,because it's straying into OT land, but folks who have seen me post before can pretty much figure out what those things are.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • juravianjuravian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 63
    edited April 2013
    I have to admit, when I first entered the game for Beta Weekend, I was not real impressed. I am not a fan of the 4.0 ruleset, and the content seemed about on par with other MMO's.

But...

After I played for a few hours and started getting into the stories, and got a feel for the overall atmosphere, I was hooked.

The player made content is going to realy take off from here. I know alot of foundry content that was made for the Beta Weekends was rushed, so there was not much depth to it. Now people can take their time and make some really outstanding adventures.

I look forward to creating some really detailed adventures for folks. I even have a couple of things already detailed out in document form, just waiting to be tranferred to the foundry.

I must say though, if people are coming to this game to pound out the levels as fast as possible and not take their time to explore and enjoy the adventures, then they will be really disapointed. This is not a power levelers game.