test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What makes NWO a better mmo than the others?

vylkervylker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 133 Bounty Hunter
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I admit that the hype lvl for NWO is very high, many ppl are waiting to play and many are already sleepless waiting.
So, what is this so special that NWO has? Whats the difference from the rest mmo's? Please state your thoughts of why are you so excited?
Post edited by vylker on

Comments

• Options
    zzyatpwzzyatpw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 55
    edited April 2013
    foundry

and if it's not related to dnd i'd still play but wont buy the pack
  • Options
    fallenhawkfallenhawk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Only thing would be the Foundry as the few games I have played(mostly PWE games) never had anything like that at all. One more thing the name of the title of the game could add to it. For me the it's the combat system only other game that has the same is Tera.
    [SIGPIC]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/Badbones/Mysig.png[/SIGPIC]
    I can still move.
    I can still fight.
    I will never give up!
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I actually don't see much hype for it. When I recently mentioned Neverwinter to some MMO veterans among my friends, none of them had heard of it.

For me, what makes Neverwinter stand out is the combat system and the Foundry. And I'm excited because it's something new and fresh, with familiar designs. Good action RPGs are really very hard to come by these days, and the MMO aspects are, of course, a major plus.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    fyrestorme1fyrestorme1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 98
    edited April 2013
    vylker wrote: »
    I admit that the hype lvl for NWO is very high, many ppl are waiting to play and many are already sleepless waiting.
    So, what is this so special that NWO has? Whats the difference from the rest mmo's? Please state your thoughts of why are you so excited?

I don't think it is a particularly better MMO than many of the others I've played.. It's just one that I haven't played yet (or at least haven't played enough to get bored of yet).
  • Options
    moodsmoods Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The combat is awesome, best working action combat so far (imo).
  • Options
    baenonbaenon Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would have to say that the foundry would be a start, a bonus is that it is in the FR setting, however, for those that have been weened on an unmentionable game that released almost 9 years ago, that bonus is probably just lost to them. My generation knows well what D&D is as well as Forgotten realms, what it means and why. Unless the youth have been exposed to this concept, then its just lost to them and means nothing.
  • Options
    erluciuserlucius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 213 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Wew your question is very hard and long to be replied y'know xD
    i can compile you a list of feats which render NWO special, but that list would be seriously incomplete and very, very small:

1) 1st of all, i grew and joyed my childhood and adolescence with Dungeons & Dragons. This is something completely outside of AI, database, computers and everything else, but in the same time it's the core of everything. Your childhood idols and happy moments are something you keep within forever and wish for them never to end. I would choose to play D&D only for this reason, even if game would be s**t compared to something like GW2 or WoW;

2) The World. You might say lol? but consider this important thing. World means ambientances, characters, backgrounds, history. WoW could became what he actually became mostly thanks to this, same for GW2. Without a solid pillar like it the games loses pretty much, which is exactly what happened with WoW after making Arthas die (they lost something like milions players) and what couldn't make games with serious potential like Aion and Soul of the Ultimate Nation bestsellers like the top titles we have now. Just naming Neverwinter brings up so **** much history, most of which you could live with Atari's 2 games, NWN and NWN2. Neverwinter is not just a title, it's your adventures, it's Aribeth, Deekin, Nasher, Gend...it's a strong symbol;

3) Again D&D, but this time for another reason! And the reason is characters and monsters. There are several monsters and characters who became famous thanks to D&D, so it's like playing "at home". Just try to check how many Drow/Drizzt threads are active in this forum and you might get a picture of this point. Now to characters. Well, i suppose it's enough saying that D&D's got some "unique" classes feats no other game can reach. What this game offers to us now at OB is nothing compared to what it can become, and again if you want a pic of it check the "next class" threads and you'll see pretty much debats about that;

4) Last (but not of less importance)...ADVENTURE!! D&D means adventure and fantasy. You can follow the pve story, you can pvp...BUT you can also CREATE your quests and adventures! You can go plane travelling! You can go for secret places! And much, much more...

Want more? check it out ingame!! But beware for if you meet mind flayers or dragons you'd better be prepared or...well...RUN AWAY!!!
  • Options
    hecatomb2hecatomb2 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I wait for it because,when i saw just 1 video at youtube about the game it catched me :)
    I admit i never played dungeons and dragons game but this NWO will rock just my tought ofc.
    It's cool it has nice PvP system,I like the no mouse thing :D with the circle at the center :D (english isn't my native language,don't know how to explain it :D) I like the races,the classes,the where you are born and in which god do you believe in thing this one is really cool too.I like everything.
  • Options
    vylkervylker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 133 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Personally I played only BW4, I found the game a mediocre mmo, graphics are outdated, in general it reminds me Lotro, Foundry is a nice addon, I heard that some guys reached level 50 in a weekend, after that what? Personally I hope devs will keep alive this title with constant mini expansions, achievements, dailies etc., bu tI really afraid that will be a game that will sell a few hundred packs and die after a month, dunno I wish the best. Only the D&D theme does not offers to me alot, each game should have depth, should keep me playing longtime and offers me constantly new things. I wish Foundry makes the difference to all the other mmo, I really wish.
  • Options
    ivandhirivandhir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    vylker, maybe can you level up to 60? ;-)
  • Options
    valgavantevalgavante Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 71
    edited April 2013
    1 - Foundry
    2 - For now this game is a real F2P
    3 - Name and D&D Stuff
    4 - Actual Game

Note: These points are not in order, it's just a list of what makes this game GREAT
    65752563.jpg77219287.jpg
  • Options
    slatsauslatsau Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'd suggest that the hype isn't that big to be honest. F2P puts alot of people off, they think of a lot of grindy non-western MMO's. The huge amount of push on the Founder's Packs put a lot of people off and there is a lot of concern it will simple be "Pay-To-Win".

Then the whole Respec Token Cost put even MORE off.

So I honestly think a lot of people are sitting back on this one and waiting for some Reviews/The 90 Day Mark/or at least the 30th.

Me personally? Foundry/a FR MMO/All the beta videos look great. Several of my favorite YouTuber's have said quite a number of positive things also.

The last thing that really got me, funnily enough is the Interface. So many MMO's do a horrible job of their interface and contrasting/nameplates/damage numbers all look great.
  • Options
    argantisargantis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yes, I am sleepless, dozed for about an hour or two, that is all I can manage. Let me try to rank them in order, because there is a lot that I like about it.

1) DnD 4E: If this game were not out, I would be playing PnP.
    2) Forgotten Realms Setting: Do I need to explain?
    3) The Combat System: I love it, it feels like a DnD shooter!
    4) Cryptic: I love their open minded view and interaction with the player community.
    5) Free To Play: Obviously I am a Founder, but I like to pay what I want, when I want.
    6) Graphics: I really like the look and feel of everything. I love that they went smart instead of complex. Old systems can run it.
    7) PvE and PvP and Foundry: I like options and this game gives me a lot of them.
    8) The Community: This may go higher or lower later, but so far it has been a pretty good experience. Peeps : Creeps = 100+:1

I have had a fantastic time in beta test. Right now I am easily as passionate about NWO as I have ever been any game. Here is to hoping that Cryptic keeps it that way. :)
  • Options
    erluciuserlucius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 213 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Personally I played only BW4, I found the game a mediocre mmo, graphics are outdated, in general it reminds me Lotro, Foundry is a nice addon, I heard that some guys reached level 50 in a weekend, after that what? Personally I hope devs will keep alive this title with constant mini expansions, achievements, dailies etc., bu tI really afraid that will be a game that will sell a few hundred packs and die after a month, dunno I wish the best.
    - i would understand people saying NWO could remind of TERA or GW2, but LOTRO? are you fckin serious? Just remember this is NOT the 1st D&D game...
    - graphics are graphics. Devs never said anything about a "new incredible impressive graphics with 2xHD motor". Plus consider that system requirements is something which BADLY affects online players...otherwise SWTOR would have movie graphics lol
    - exp rates were higher during CB
    - lvl 50 is not the highest level, it was just the highest level we could reach
    - game has not even started OB and you think of AFTER reaching max lvl? Still, if you want a reply just know that crafting system is long and there are new areas / cities / dungeons announced to be implemented so...
    - if you couldn't find dailies and achievements i would ask "when you played bw4 did you reach 1 hour of gaming?"
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Cryptic have to be open minded and offers constantly fresh air to the game, I am bored to reach at every mmo the lvl cap, grab some gear and thats it, GW2 is trying to keep the players constantly with something to play for, events, dailies, achievements etc., will Cryptic games in general works that way? ( it is my first Cryptic game ), I just wish to start a game that keeps me "tied" for long time.
    All my cents are to the Foundry, I hope that they will give enough freedom to us to make different things for the game.
  • Options
    argantisargantis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Personally I played only BW4, I found the game a mediocre mmo, graphics are outdated, in general it reminds me Lotro, Foundry is a nice addon, I heard that some guys reached level 50 in a weekend, after that what? Personally I hope devs will keep alive this title with constant mini expansions, achievements, dailies etc., bu tI really afraid that will be a game that will sell a few hundred packs and die after a month, dunno I wish the best. Only the D&D theme does not offers to me alot, each game should have depth, should keep me playing longtime and offers me constantly new things. I wish Foundry makes the difference to all the other mmo, I really wish.

In Beta weekend 2 I played every class to 12 and two of them to low 20's. In beta weekend 3 I went from 1-47 on my GWF. In beta 4 I went from 1-50. However I did not enjoy those weekends like I will open beta. I was all push, push, push, go, go, go. 15+ hours a day in the game. My family was not to happy with me. Had the beta weekends not been so limited I would have relaxed, progressed much more slowly, and not been on the game so much. I did not read anything, I did not listen to anything, I just have a natural feel for stuff where I can hit the ground running. But that is not fun, quite frankly it reminded me of my days as a CAD Designer when I had a deadline to meet and was sitting there "dropping lines" like a fool. It was not that the game was bad, I loved it, but by the end of beta I was so worn out I felt literally like someone had kicked my <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. I did it to test, I did it to learn. Those top level zones were ghost towns. Of the 20,000 people in beta 4, I think I seen a couple hundred, if that, in the top level zones.

For a power gamer sure, they will get bored, but what game ever keeps them?
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I really like the graphics! While I have both a gaming laptop and a desktop with a high end card, I really like the style and much prefer it over what is considered cutting edge graphics (always feels lifeless to me). Plus, lower requirements mean that more people can play the game, which is a fantastic thing.

And look at Age of Conan for what happens if 90% of your target audience can't run your game. :p (Well, it was very unfinished at release too, which didn't help.)
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    canidkcanidk Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I only found out about Neverwinter through an old pen and paper DnD friend, who asked the now scattered group if we should hook up in game, and I spend regular time following what new games are coming out, so I really don't see a huge hype.
    This said I do see an excitement from a lot (myself included) for the game, in part because it is a new MMO and partly because it's based on Forgotten Realms. I don't mind if we call this hype, but looking through most official web channels like gameinformer, ign, pcgamer and many others I seem to find more information on the upcoming MMO from Bethesda than about Neverwinter, which is just around the corner.

Personally I am excited about 4 things with this game.
    1) it's a new MMO. After playing several others (lastly GW2) I have now learned that I am no longer the hardcore longterm player, instead I enjoy the game for X number of months and then I move on to a new one be it new MMO or other game
    2) I am to the core still a huge roleplaying nerd, so the fact this is based on Forgotten Realms hopefully means a really good storyline.
    3) The Foundry; I have never tried a MMO with something like this, but I played Neverwinter Nights for many years thanks to community creativity, and this just might be the reason I'll keep coming back to Neverwinter MMO. I truly hope this will be good and will provide a basis for something every future MMO includes in one form or another
    4) The combat mechanics are completely different to me as I have never played Tera, so this I'm looking forward to trying. I hate the WoW, SWTOR clones where you have to have 5+ action bars filled with all abilities. I prefer fewer active abilitis, and then to spend hours figuring out the best playstyle for me.
  • Options
    vernedndvernednd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    For me, what makes Neverwinter stand out is the combat system and the Foundry. And I'm excited because it's something new and fresh, with familiar designs. Good action RPGs are really very hard to come by these days, and the MMO aspects are, of course, a major plus.

Simple and to the point. I agree!

Cheers!
    Fighter.jpg
  • Options
    daxtax86daxtax86 Member Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    For me perosnally, having played MMO's for quite a lot of years at both a high and casual level I must admit that lately if a new title doesn't have action combat I'm just not interested, to me this is really the future for MMO's.

NW looks to be the first big western release with TRUE (yes GW2 was a combination of tab targeting and action'ish) action combat and I am really looking forward to that, ontop of it all the engine seems to run smoothly (something that can really kill action combat, look at Tera for instance) and overall the game looks nice.

Having that said features like the Foundry looks to be a nifty little very D&D like feature and also a great idea to keep content fresh and prevent farming the same 5 dungeons repetedly. All in all looking forward to multiple aspects of the game :)
    GM aka "Mafia Boss" of <Midget Mafia> Danish guild @ Beholder.

Main: "Daxt", Trickster Rogue @ Beholder.
    Alt: "Daxt-Two", Great Weapon Fighter @ Beholder

Tune in @ http://da.twitch.tv/daxt86
  • Options
    astaziaastazia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited April 2013
    Nothing. MMOs don't stand out anymore. There's enough variety that it now comes down to what each player wants in a game. It's basically like every other genre now. Do you want a D&D MMO with a mission designer? Here it is. The only other game to compare this to is DDO as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Do you think the Foundry could offer a neverending adventure?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Do you think the Foundry could offer a neverending adventure?

Eventually yes, currently no. Right now it is limited to solo only content. They are working on getting in group content and eventually PvP content. At that point it could very well change how MMO's are made.
  • Options
    jd0ggjd0gg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think there is quite a bit of hype within the community of people who were looking for something different in an MMO. Most of the people I know who are solidly committed to the MMO they are already playing could not get into this game for various reasons mostly stemming from what they liked about the games they play rather than any real concern for what Neverwinter is. I personally really enjoy the combat system, the settings, the foundry, and the potential that my minds eye sees for the game.
    JDogg, Original Gamester
    All Out Assault
  • Options
    psuedomonaspsuedomonas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Yeah for me its not a matter of it being better then anything else out there. Its not about that at all. I am too old for the this is better then that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that you younglings carry on with :P Personally for me its simply it is a game I would like to play, it satisfies my need for DnD and I can enjoy it with my friends through developer content or content created by our community.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kerlaakerlaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    For me its the foundry system and the FR setting. I would probably been more into DDO had it been FR.

If NWO had been FR 2.5-3.5 with the foundry I probably would never have any reason to EVER leave.
  • Options
    astaziaastazia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited April 2013
    argantis wrote: »
    They are working on getting in group content and eventually PvP content. At that point it could very well change how MMO's are made.

Technically this already happened, 7 years ago. Ryzom came out with it, several games since have implemented it (so, the way some MMOs were made was changed). Usually it just amounts to a system for generating exp/item farming maps, the actual creative aspects tend to be mostly ignored as most players are after reward more than story. Unless players can create custom uber items to drop from custom foundry bosses then it's mostly only going to be used by serious RPers. When hardcore gamers ask for content they don't mean more story or lore (all of which they have ignored or skipped past), they mean another carrot on a stick, in the form of shiny items dropping rarely from bosses they can farm while AFK in a large raid.

I think I went on a tangent there.
  • Options
    berserkerkitten8berserkerkitten8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Combat, setting, foundry. Is that enough to make the whole thing better than every other MMO out there? I highly doubt it. Not sure I care. I'm here to have fun and it doesn't matter to me whether NWO ends up having ten million or ten thousand players, for as long as the server stays up and running.
    They're not called respect tokens...
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    There is not about how many ppl will play it, Cryptic made a very smart move with the Foundry, now they just have to support it for endless possibilities!
  • Options
    decubisdecubis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 90
    edited April 2013
    For me it is mostly these points:

Combat system
    Holy Trinity (tank, DPS and healer. I really missed forfilling a certain role)
    The look of the game and artstyle.
    Races are nice and not to crazy like lets say Tera.
    PvE looks very strong in this game and i
    Greetings Decubis,
    image_160079_thumb_wide300.jpg
    Decubis: Dwarf Guardian Fighter: lvl 60
    Demic: Human Devoted Cleric: lvl 60
    Server: Beholder Guild: The Unnamed