test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Post release foundry wishes

Comments

• ulyxosulyxos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 49
    edited April 2013
    About the boss ongoing discussion...

I can see how it may be hard for developpers to give tools for foundry players. One thing that's been mentionned and that seemed reasonable is to build every kind of monster with a difficulty/complexity slider that would drive what kind of attacks and powers it has.

From my point of view the real kick about a boss is not as much its difficulty (not necessarily) as its uniqueness and complexity of behaviour.

Lets say you build a phase spider. Its has 5 settings of complexity. Level 1 is you good old at-will attacker... Its trash, adds or lowbie stuff... then level 2 you add a special encounter/special attack level 3 you had a resistance or whatever increase complexity or difficulty for said creature. At level 4 it get phasing and pretty much every thing we actually know of the monster. Level 5 is boss level. You add a single (at first then you can add new ones with time).

So most Boss (lvl 5) would have a specific boost (HP, AE attack, Adds, ...) while some more elaborate type monsters (Humanoid, dragons, Demons) could get an array to choose from at lvl 5.

Boss bar would tell experienced players * check for this special killer attack * foundry creators will be able to scale mob behaviour complexity and the developper would keep the last word on what each creature can do to keep the flavour and keep the game credible by having animations corresponding to the ground effects.
  • b1gt3db1gt3d Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Let's keep this discussion about bosses going...
    What does bosses, bosses and bosses bosses mean to you?

Depending on what it means has a huge bearing on what it means to be implemented.
    Does Bosses mean tough mobs, HP buckets, things only 5+ players can take on?
    Does it mean something scary like, full scripting and custom everything?

Let me say that I like the idea of bosses but i like the defined version of bosses a lot more!

Ok so I hate to bring other games in to this conversation but it will help to show where my view comes from. I played World of Warcraft for 7 years as a dedicated Raider and downed many a "Boss" in that game. It was what kept me going back again and again week in an week out to play. The cooperation and tactics required to compete on that level was enough to keep me addicted to the format. I think you should look at that as a good basis to create your own twist on things in this game a 10 man style co operative raiding setup where you need members from all classes to be successful. 2 tanks 2 healers and 6 dps or 2 tanks 3 healers and 5 dps. it would definitely get my interest
  • grimok1grimok1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    To me a Boss would have to meet all of the following criteria:

A: Have a large enough amount of HP to require a prolonged battle with a 5 man team

B: Deal enough Damage that it threatens a party and prevents one or two man teams from beating it.

C: Scripted Abilities.

When it comes to scripted abilities I think it would be superb if the foundry makers could completely customize what they do, but realize its a bit unrealistic. So to me, a reasonable expectation would be to have a number of pre fabbed scripted events a foundry maker can mix and match from to create unique encounters. Such as "At X% HP Boss begins casting aoe attacks centered on random player ever Y seconds" where the dungeon creator can enter in the variable amounts.
  • aralixaralix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 45
    edited April 2013

Depending on what it means has a huge bearing on what it means to be implemented.
    I'd like scripted AI options with extra ablity addons with HP/damage scaleing
    I would also like to add extra effects like temporary invincibility or large regen/respawn
    for example a lich boss fight
    the lich has scripted actions to teleport away from players then cast a spell >> teleport away>>cast>>repeat
    let me pick what spells he casts at certain HP %s and a *final ultimate* spell as he dies

I'd also like the option to add something like a magic force field that prevents you from attacking him until you break a crystal located in the boss room/fighting area -- and another hidden object that holds his soul and respawns the lich boss unless destroyed

while giving authors such complete control over any type of boss might be a bit much developers could introduce a list of acceptable bosses that have individual customization for each boss
    phase spider does phasing author decides how often and how long it stays phased / summons minions

giant goblin uses some ranged attacks or jumps around author is given different AI modes (aggresive or runs away summoning minions)

lich uses spells or other specials

dragons have breaths and maybe a fly *mode* where you can't hurt it without using a ballista placed by the author

maybe a gnoll leader can summon adds and the author chooses how/when

add in the already existing ability of editing any monsters appearance and you could turn the "lich" boss into an evil *LIVING* mage or the giant goblin into a frost giant or whatever is in the foundry
    The truth will EAT you!
    328894f9-2005-4d27-a221-67ec37aa20f9_zpse7d8f150.jpg
  • zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    aralix wrote: »
    I'd also like the option to add something like a magic force field that prevents you from attacking him until you break a crystal located in the boss room/fighting area -- and another hidden object that holds his soul and respawns the lich boss unless destroyed

maybe a gnoll leader can summon adds and the author chooses how/when

add in the already existing ability of editing any monsters appearance and you could turn the "lich" boss into an evil *LIVING* mage or the giant goblin into a frost giant or whatever is in the foundry

Just FYI, these are doable now with creative use of triggers and costumes.
  • wininoidwininoid Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'd like to see some sort of "Share" button on the post-quest pop-up (i.e. in the rate/review/tip window). That way you can easily share the quests with your friends. Then people can act as content filters for each other, rather than relying solely on the quest descriptions to find something you like.

If you restrict it to the friends list, spammers can't abuse it.

The recipient would get a mail message with the quest description and an Accept button so they could get it right then and not have to open another window/search for the quest.

When/if we get an in-game/gateway blog, Share could also be used to post a quest to your blog. Your followers would be able to accept the quest from the blog entry (for the same reasons as above).

Along the same lines, I would love to be able to search for and accept quests via the Gateway. Then I could market/search for quests on 3rd party sites and/or this forum and get the quest right then and there. That would prevent the problem of hearing about an interesting quest but then forgetting to go hunt for it when you get in game. I suspect that many interested players are lost between hearing about a quest they would like and actually searching for it.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    I think it might be nice to give a pool of powers authors could choose from.

Like "Summon Mobs"
    A few Boss Special Attack Moves
    Regeneration
    Combat Phases (such as getting tougher at weaker health)

Basically bosses should have some sort of mechanics that the rest of the mobs don't have.
    If it was possible to select from a decent size list of abilities (yet be limited to say, 4 on any boss) to be added into the boss AI it could go a long way into allowing players to make dynamic boss fights of their own.

If you give me the power to script I would love you forever robobo!
    But in lieu of that unlikelyhood (please please please let me script/program certain things) I'd love to see some NWN Variable Style selection bosses to flush out behind the scenes AI presets :D
  • lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Let me say that I like the idea of bosses but i like the defined version of bosses a lot more!

"Bosses" can take two meanings, depending upon context.

1. A "boss" is pretty much just as in-game for the end of the "solo" quest lines. HP bags, extra long HP bar that shows uptop when they are engaged, usually has a few extra special abilities. I think the best way to manage this is to allow any single mob to be flagged as a "boss". They can be set to spawn adds or not (adds defined by the author, probably with a defined "costume" selected but no other control over their abilities beyond selecting an encounter group).

2. A "boss" with a quest flagged as "group content" (should this be implemented, basically a "delve") should be pretty much mirroring existing content for delves. They spawn adds, defined by the author as above.

I personally think that "group content" should be more strictly policed. There should be a cap on the number of bosses addable per map; Rather than just saying "one boss per map" or "one boss per quest", you should also be able to create "boss groups" where (like content) you can create an evil circle of high priests or an evil adventuring band as the "end boss" (basically, multiple "bosses" that together count as a single boss).

Sounds a bit complex, but it basically mirrors what Cryptic can do. Just requires intelligent thought to ensure that people don't fill a room full of bosses or create a boss every room.
  • apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    And Boss can also be found here :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • draconusxxdraconusxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Beholder
    Dracolich

For starters ;)
  • drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I want the ability to move my character around in all directions, through objects, in flight, up down sideways what ever. So that I can edit my objects freely. I would also like an option to place objects while in 3d look of the map. Rather than needing to place them outside of 3d mode.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • demiurgerealmdemiurgerealm Member Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I'd like to see an alternate graphic for resting campfires, right now if you put one indoors it looks like Huck Finn build a fire on your living room floor. Perhaps we could get a nice brazier as an alternative look?
    -Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Realm of the Demiurge Foundry Works

Neverwinter isn't D&D, it is a MMO based on a game that uses D&D terms but isn't really D&D either. NW is fun (for that matter so is 4E), but it isn't D&D, and once you wrap your expectations around that you will be able to enjoy the game for what it offers and not worry about what it does not.
  • drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I want all NPC and player costumes available to use to customize NPCs, including those found in the zen store. Right now there is far too limited a selection, especially when compared to the foundry promotional videos from shows like PAX and gamescon etc.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • nogaruknogaruk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

A "boss" can be many things. To me, a boss is an encounter that requires thought and skill to defeat beyond that of normal ones.

A "boss" in this sense could be any combination of a creature, activity, or abilities. Everything you pointed towards comprises what a boss can be. Creating a boss should have the options of being able to adjust its HP's, Abilities, Size, and any scripting needed for mechanics and stages. Full scripting access is not necessarily needed, though. As long as you can define the variables and link actions together there should be plenty of options to creating interesting encounters that can be a boss.

As some have mentioned already being able to define that a creature is a mini-boss or a boss, such as a slider or drop down, could allow for the hp/stat adjustments to be varied even though Cryptic would be setting the specific values. From there having the option to check health percentages and link to another action, being able to spawn/despawn or hide/unhide creatures, directing their paths and animations being played, what ability sets they have access to as well as when they have access to them.

To me full scripting would be where the author can actually write code to deal with all of these things and more. They likely would have access beyond what is needed by allowing that. I would say something more akin to kismet from Unreal would be the best thing I could hope for in the Foundry. Set scripted actions are available to the author that can be linked in a variety of ways with specific variables open to them for adjustment, but their access is limited to those "nodes" alone.

I have not had the opportunity to use the Foundry yet though so if it already has some of these things then great. The little bit I've seen from video demonstrations has not shown anything in that regard though.
  • evakaneevakane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Top of my list: Completely customizable combatants and bosses (powers too :P), and a real timer for timed events and respawns instead of having to do a bunch tricks to try to approximate said. Batch changes for details would be excellent. Completely customizable encounters. Object merger, for reducing detail count and improving performance. Make the experience and the reward be based on how powerful the monsters are on average, also with extra powerful bosses start dropping some tokens, there is no reason not to drop all kind of rare items and tokens if you allow us to make them as strong as we like. As long as your numbers balance so will the game, and if you think that's not true, you aren't adding right...

Oh yeah, and trap damage definable in percent health, and instant death zones. =)
  • zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'd just like sound to work.
  • futrixfutrix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Didn't read the thread.

My two are:

-Adding music (and fixing sound/ambiance bugs)

-Group based dialog. It is a bit difficult to read dialog in a group. Making it to where all group members can read the text without mistakenly starting an event or cancelling another players dialog window would be nice. Either with a group synced window where where all players have to click to proceed SWTOR style or making it to where you finish a dialog window and get checked off, the next event starting once your entire group flips through the event triggering dialog.
  • feuygarfeuygar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 102 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Assuming that Santa bypasses long wish lists:

Area trigger, please allow me to change to the shape to square, oblong, oval.

Trigger delay, event happens X seconds after trigger goes off.

Floor tiles - these will be the ceiling of the floor below but have no graphical bottom. I see up through them from below and are only visible from above.

Thanks - the above would make a big difference, allowing creativity.
  • duskdweller78duskdweller78 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My main concern is:
    - find a way to allow us to place normal chests and skill nodes (they could just check how much it takes to reach it and force us to assign a decent encounter to guard it). I love placing hidden stuff in my maps (in every other game with a toolset), but it's rather pointless doing it here because you can't reward the player.

Also we need:
    - Bosses
    - Scripting for boss fights
    - settings for group content
    - cutscenes
    - create custom equipment as quest reward (we could set which skills should be on the item and the weight of the skill, and the system scales it to the player level).
    - ability to set bonus objectives/sidequests.
    - ability to place merchants in long quests.
    - Beholders.
    Campaign:Different Seasons
    Author: @BardicKnowledge
    Q1: Prologue - The Lady and the Worm NW-DPQPJSVTH
    Tags: #Challenge, #Story, #Solo, #Group
  • evakaneevakane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I almost forgot one of my biggest wishes. We really should be able to set merchants into our adventures. I've played several Foundry missions, and even starting with completely empty bags often the loot is still too much to carry. I really don't see any reason why we couldn't have a generic merchant who will buy stuff that we can place in our adventures.
  • auricklemtauricklemt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My biggest wish is to have a way to add details to the map while in 3D edit mode. It's incredibly frustrating to be looking around my room and decide I'd really like to have a particular detail, then have to return to the Foundry to search for and add the detail, then return to the preview, enter 3D Editing mode again and finally put the item where I wanted it.
    Foundry Campaign: The Stars of Desolation
    Adapted from "The Desert of Desolation" by Tracy and Laura Hickman
    edited April 2013
    I'd like a search filter that will show all quests by people on my friends list and another for people in my guild. Make it easy to find my friend's stuff.
  • hercooles130uscghercooles130uscg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    BUG FIXES!!

That is my NUMBER ONE:

The top bug fixes on my list are
    The click through issues with the dialogue editor
    The hidden drop-down menu issue in the layout editor.
    bdayaffair_zps6675e60e.png
  • hercooles130uscghercooles130uscg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Oh and also better use of DM speech. Popups, or at least allow markers to be able to trigger a dialogue popup.

Also the ability to modify the visibility of Markers just like objects.
    bdayaffair_zps6675e60e.png
  • ravenwolf1945ravenwolf1945 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would like for true branching of quests based on what players choose to do in your map. This gives me the ability to do completely different campaigns based on how people play through them, much like SWTOR tried to do with their branching dialogue choices.

I want to be able to offer my players multiple outcomes with different bosses and different stories based on how they play through things. Right now this is possible, but in a limited fashion. If we can have true branching objectives for quests then this will alleviate this issue.
  • askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    bachus1234 wrote: »
    I will stick to my major wishes...

-more mobs usable in encounters
    -multi group PvP content design
    -group content, and possibly dual group and 4 group scaling..
    -scripting engine to script your own bossfights
    -voice acting for quests

So what are your wishes for post release?

You mean there is no current scripting capabilities.

Wow only 10 minutes into looking into the foundry and already 2 major blows to my enthusiasm.
    edited April 2013
    I would like a system note in chat if someone tips or writes a review on one of my quests so i can go read it =) or thank them
    8IxArUQf.jpg
  • chivashchivash Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 30
    edited May 2013

For a boss, It would be the ability to use a single NPC character and be able to change its difficulty. Say I wanted to make a custom NPC mage named Bob and make him a gold Elite. Cant do that can only use group encounters, or find a group with a single mob and change the skin. There are not a lot.

A boss to me is a named NPC that you can combat. Like the bosses in dungeons but customization dependent on the size of the group you want to use. Even the ability to choose their abilitis.
  • kendokkenkendokken Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ideally i'd love to see the missions auto scale based on the number of people in the group.
    Also adding the 2 extra difficulties (elite and Boss) would be nice. And the loot-rarity should scale based on THIS difficulty so a solo or Duo group can still do the Elite and Boss missions and get some nice upgrades.
    Honeslty, in a game that only takes a couple days to hit cap anyway I see absolutley no reason to limit blue gear drops to near non-existant. We'll only be using them for a few hours anyway, and at 60 the 'good' gear isn't blues anyway, so no need to worry about 'farming' blues at 60 as that would be pointless.
    edited May 2013
    I like the idea of autoscaling the encounters based on group size, but I'd want that to be a flag you can turn on or off (maybe one flag for the whole quest). That way you could still create a quest that can't be done solo.