test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I leveled a CW 1 to 50 this weekend, AMA.

Comments

• Options
    uvirith1uvirith1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 124
    edited April 2013
    From a purely aestetic point of view, does a dwarf magician look good in terms of casting-animation and equipment?
  • Options
    jkaplan92jkaplan92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    @mtorc: I really liked the ability, it was SO fun to use, probably the most fun ability in the CW arsenal, however it did feel like it was a bit lacking. It basically felt like a slightly weaker version of sudden storm to me, and for that reason I can't really warrant using it come launch. The damage was slightly lower than that of sudden storm, but it essentially has the same aoe radius as sudden storm does, perhaps its a bit wider than sudden storms radius, not sure, but it has a longer cast time because you first need to cast the spell to summon the boulder and then cast again to throw it. Yes, it does CC the mobs you hit, but in my opinion it just isn't worth it. The damage is too low for the time it takes to set it up. That said I never tried it in my tab slot and that could make it significantly better, who knows. Overall it was really fun to use and very close to being a strong ability, I think it just needs a slight buff. I didn't pay attention to how much arcane mastery it gave, sorry.

@uvirith1 I didn't play a dwarf CW, and I obviously can't give you an objective answer to that question. In my opinion it wouldn't look very good with the CW gear that I saw as I leveled up, but thats just my opinion. As for the animations I think it would look fine but I seem to have less gripes about CW animations than a lot of people.
  • Options
    zzyatpwzzyatpw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 55
    edited April 2013
    jkaplan92 wrote: »
    Ask me anything gais.

firstly, thx, those posts above are really helpfully.

heres my questions:

1st. which companion u used and think is the best for CW solo leveling?

2nd. dose chill stacks with other cw's chill? for instance 2 cw make 3 chill each comes a freeze? i had never met another cw in dungeons during last beta weekends.

3rd. while solo leveling, do u generally control mobs then dps them or just max dps for a quick kill (and drink potions for surviving)? which way is more efficiency/time saving for leveling?

4th. is there anything in the game interface clearly states when u have combat advantage (like an icon)? or we could only assuming it based on pnp exp for instance stun grants ca etc.

5th.Storm Spell - Class Feature
    Shock your target 10% of the time on all attacks.
    what does the shock means? cant find explanation.
  • Options
    apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    bizi974 wrote: »
    26 hours to lvl 50 seems very quick. How did you level so fast?

Leveling speed was increased for Beta weekends I believe, it will be normalized at launch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • Options
    jkaplan92jkaplan92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    zzyatpw wrote: »
    firstly, thx, those posts above are really helpfully.

heres my questions:

1st. which companion u used and think is the best for CW solo leveling?

2nd. dose chill stacks with other cw's chill? for instance 2 cw make 3 chill each comes a freeze? i had never met another cw in dungeons during last beta weekends.

3rd. while solo leveling, do u generally control mobs then dps them or just max dps for a quick kill (and drink potions for surviving)? which way is more efficiency/time saving for leveling?

4th. is there anything in the game interface clearly states when u have combat advantage (like an icon)? or we could only assuming it based on pnp exp for instance stun grants ca etc.

5th.Storm Spell - Class Feature
    Shock your target 10% of the time on all attacks.
    what does the shock means? cant find explanation.

1. I tried several. I tried the honey badger and the swordsman dps companion. Both were very underwhelming in my opinion. I mostly used the cleric which was decent. I've also heard the guardian fighter companion is quite good and I'm inclined to use it at launch. Cleric is solid but seems to fall off a bit at later levels.

2. I'm not sure, never really noticed in the dungeons I ran because most CW's dont seem to rely on chill very much at higher levels.

3. Generally you want to focus on CC because CC abilities typically do quite a bit of damage at the same time. At lower levels my rotation basically involved dropping frozen terrain and putting conduit of ice on a mob for high aoe damage, using entangling force on the most threatening mob, and then arcane missling the pack down. At higher levels I opened with steal time for a long stun and high aoe damage, then I arcane missled down the weakest mobs, they usually died before steal time was over. Then I entangling forced the large mob and finish it off with arcane missles. Against very large mobs I used enfeebling ray to give me a big damage boost. You can also slot sudden storm for more AoE damage if you aren't dealing with any mobs with very high HP. Overall I think its fine to focus a bit more on CC because it typically gives you high AoE damage via steal time or conduit of ice while also saving you health potions.

4. Not that I've been able to figure it out so far and I find this quite frustrating. I think there might be some kind of indicator underneath mobs but I'm not sure, and as someone who never even played pen and paper I find the whole system super confusing.

5. The shock is basically just an additional 500 damage. So every 10 spells you do an extra 500 damage give or take (this is at level 50) Overall I found that it procced quite a lot and I feel that the damage I got from it made it worth using over many other class features with my build, but past level 50 you should replace it with eye of the storm.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    apocrs1980 wrote: »
    Leveling speed was increased for Beta weekends I believe, it will be normalized at launch.

Well that kind of sucks because I was actually underleveled by 1-2 levels for virtually the entire time. I finally caught up in the level 50 zone, but I felt like the leveling speed was about where it should be and if its nerfed I will definitely fall pretty far behind. I didn't even skip any quests. Every single quest that I found, I did.
  • Options
    abaddonxkabaddonxk Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Yes, Chill is a debuff placed on the enemy so any and all sources of it stack.
  • Options
    derresshderressh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well that kind of sucks because I was actually underleveled by 1-2 levels for virtually the entire time. I finally caught up in the level 50 zone, but I felt like the leveling speed was about where it should be and if its nerfed I will definitely fall pretty far behind. I didn't even skip any quests. Every single quest that I found, I did.

Don't worry, Cryptic has stated in response to this rumor that the BWE leveling speed was NOT edited in any way, and that is where they plan to have it come OBT. Granted, they are free to change it a bit here and there if it's still not meeting their expectations after OBT.
    4. Not that I've been able to figure it out so far and I find this quite frustrating. I think there might be some kind of indicator underneath mobs but I'm not sure, and as someone who never even played pen and paper I find the whole system super confusing.

There's a small white area under the enemy's feet that dictates where you would have to stand to get CA. When standing in it, the area turns purple to show you are inside it, and your damage numbers also show a sword icon next to them when dealing CA damage.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Thanks that clears things up a bit, never knew what the sword icon was for. So is combat advantage just a flat % damage boost you get from attacking from certain angles or from certain abilities?
  • Options
    licourtrix1licourtrix1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 232 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Yes, I believe it is a 15% flat damage boost to all attacks, can be modified or course through feats from the different classes.
    How much do clothes cost in the Matrix?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Yes, I believe it is a 15% flat damage boost to all attacks, can be modified or course through feats from the different classes.

Yeah, I'm actually curious about how that works because my plan is to stack charisma for the combat advantage boost but is the 1% you get a flat 1% added to the 15 to be 16% or is it 1% of the 15% because that would be god awful.
  • Options
    licourtrix1licourtrix1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 232 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Not actually sure on that, however CHA is basically the prime stat for a CW anyways as it boosts crit chance, you will find that almost all CW's will be be going CHA.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Not actually sure on that, however CHA is basically the prime stat for a CW anyways as it boosts crit chance, you will find that almost all CW's will be be going CHA.

Eh, its debateable in my opinion. Depends on build and whether or not the combat advantage boost is really a flat 1% or not. Most CWs seem to focus too much on maximizing damage. The real strength of this class is our CC. From the perspective of what will allow a group to progress furthest and with the most ease through end game content I think wisdom would be a better stat for almost all builds if charismas combat advantage bonus is not a flat 1%. Extra CC duration coupled with additional cooldown reduction is really strong in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    It is really strong, you will find these 2 builds, INT/CHA for max dps output, and WIS/CHA for max cc with decent burst damage. Now I could be wrong but I think that INT/WIS will be the least used CW stat base.

At this stage in the game development i would like to point out that although our CC is what makes this class, we are also the best AOE damage in the game.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    It is really strong, you will find these 2 builds, INT/CHA for max dps output, and WIS/CHA for max cc with decent burst damage. Now I could be wrong but I think that INT/WIS will be the least used CW stat base.

At this stage in the game development i would like to point out that although our CC is what makes this class, we are also the best AOE damage in the game.

I agree that we have really strong AoE damage, I just think if you think about what our most important contribution to a group is, its cc. Yes, everyone wants to be the top of the damage charts, but if you think about it with progression in mind, the fact that we can cc groups of mobs so heavily is way more valuable than our damage I think. Yeah you can extra damage if you spec for it, but you can also gain a lot of additional uptime on cc while still doing good damage. I think int/wis would be stronger than wis/cha. If I remember correctly int gives raw damage and cooldown reduction on encounters. If you have a cc heavy build you're probably not using much of the renegade tree so you probably wouldn't have the feat that gives crit severeity with combat advantage damage so I feel like int/wis would be stronger because you're getting 1% raw damage with the cooldown reduction to increase CC duration. It would be especially strong in PvP where the companion stats buff is worth nothing.

But not sure how it iwll play out at 60, we'll have to see. Overall I feel like renegade is the strongest spec for us so I think int/cha will be the best stat choice as long as that build is as strong as it is.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Int/Cha is what i'm going, but I almost have to dis'agree with our role in parties. Our ability to single target cc is fantastic, our aoe cc is very limited, thus our strongest role is helping get the non elite mobs dead quick, while helping mitigate the damage caused by the elite mobs.

AOE damage is our primary role right now, with our cc ability being a very close second. Really our role changes from fight to fight, which is the one reason I love this class.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Int/Cha is what i'm going, but I almost have to dis'agree with our role in parties. Our ability to single target cc is fantastic, our aoe cc is very limited, thus our strongest role is helping get the non elite mobs dead quick, while helping mitigate the damage caused by the elite mobs.

AOE damage is our primary role right now, with our cc ability being a very close second. Really our role changes from fight to fight, which is the one reason I love this class.

I think our aoe CC is great. Steal time is probably the best ability we have. I'm not exactly sure what the duration on it is but it felt like it was a 3 second large aoe stun with significant damage on the spell itself. When we ran 2 cws in a group and rotated it it was insane, it felt like most mobs were constantly cced. Add arcane singularity on top of that as a daily and you have really strong aoe cc. You can even run frozen terrain on top of that to allow your group to kite and to periodically freeze mobs. Don't get me wrong, our damage is valuable, but in my opinion the fact that we can do so much CC and damage at the same time is what it makes it a super strong class, and I think when you compare the benefits of charisma vs wisdom from the standpoint of whats going to help the group the most, I think wisdom is better for a lot of builds but as I said, not for renegade which is what I'm running so I'll be using int/cha as well.
  • Options
    delushindelushin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Some really good questions and conversation in this thread.

+1
    "He who never fell, has never climbed"
    - Unknown
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    well, i understand the idea of cha/crit build for max those crit feats of renegade. but i'd say unless there comes a simulate program to really calculate the numbers, it's too objective to say cha would do more dmg than wis.

lets skip cc but focus on dmg:
    cha makes more crit CHANCE then makes crit feats more benefit, true;
    wis reduce cd so u can use encounters more often, which comes more crit AMOUNT, which also makes crit feats more benefit, also true.
    if u want to say cha also increase at-will's crit which wis doesnt, true;
    but mm only atk 1 target while encounters (if u chose aoe) would atk 4-5 targets so no matter u build cha or wis, most of your crits would come from encounters.
    and wis not only reduce cd of encounters but also increase ap gain. more usage of encounters already generates more ap, and each encounters generates additional ap, so it's boost * boost of ap gain. and dailies not only make huge dmg but also huge aoe which would generate more crit amount then benefit those crit feats.

so even without considering cc but just focus on crit for renegade: cha gives more crit chance while wis comes more power usage (aoe encounters + dailies) in the same time, which one would comes more crit amount in the end? no one could really tell without doing some serious math (need to consider encounters' cd, ap generate amount, mobs number, cast time etc.) then plus cc from wis, it's hardly to say which would win the fight.

well, im not saying cha is worse than wis. maybe after doing those math it comes cha still better. i just think it's too early and too objective to make the conclusion now even cryptic dont change anything anymore.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    well, i understand the idea of cha/crit build for max those crit feats of renegade. but i'd say unless there comes a simulate program to really calculate the numbers, it's too objective to say cha would do more dmg than wis.

lets skip cc but focus on dmg:
    cha makes more crit CHANCE then makes crit feats more benefit, true;
    wis reduce cd so u can use encounters more often, which comes more crit AMOUNT, which also makes crit feats more benefit, also true.
    if u want to say cha also increase at-will's crit which wis doesnt, true;
    but mm only atk 1 target while encounters (if u chose aoe) would atk 4-5 targets so no matter u build cha or wis, most of your crits would come from encounters.
    and wis not only reduce cd of encounters but also increase ap gain. more usage of encounters already generates more ap, and each encounters generates additional ap, so it's boost * boost of ap gain. and dailies not only make huge dmg but also huge aoe which would generate more crit amount then benefit those crit feats.

so even without considering cc but just focus on crit: cha gives more crit chance while wis comes more power usage (aoe encounters + dailies) in the same time, which one would comes more crit amount in the end? no one could really tell without doing some serious math (need to consider encounters' cd, ap generate amount, mobs number, cast time etc.) then plus cc from wis, it's hardly to say which would win the fight.

well, im not saying cha is worse than wis. maybe after doing those math it comes cha still better. i just think it's too early and too objective to make the conclusion now even cryptic dont change anything anymore.

I think its VERY unlikely that wisdom would do more damage, and its virtually impossible with my build because my largest damage source is arcane missles which doesn't benefit at all from wisdom. The crit and the combat advantage damage synergize so well together with my build.

I have the following feats:

When you deal Combat Advantage damage you gain 3/6/9/12/15% Critical Severity for 6 seconds (maxed so 15%)
    When you crit a foe you have a 4/8/12/16/20% chance to grant Combat Advantage against it for 4 seconds (maxed so 20%, should have nearly 100% uptime ont his)

When you consider that Cha gives both 1% crit AND 1% combat damage its just the obvious choice for my build. I can see no way that wisdom could even come close to being better. I think for a lot of other builds it very well could be though.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    i know, thats what i mentioned as "crit feats". yes it's true crit dont boost mm at all. so the final dmg dont differs from the crit feats but from how often u use aoe encounters and dailies.

if u mostly use mm and only use encounters when necessary, the crit will win. for example u stay away from tank and never use steal time unless enemy come close to u.
    but in another case, if u use encounters very often, that might be another story. for instance even enemy dont come to u but u go to enemies, stay close range and use steal time immediately when its ready.

in the second case, encounters are mostly aoe and most mobs in nw come as group, encounters would hit more than mm, so crit would more come from encounters. so probably wis would gives more crit.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    i know, thats what i mentioned as "crit feats". yes it's true crit dont boost mm at all. so the final dmg dont differs from the crit feats but from how often u use aoe encounters and dailies.

if u mostly use mm and only use encounters when necessary the crit will win. for example u never use steal time if enemy dont come close to u.
    but in another case, if u use encounters very often, that might be another story. for instance even enemy dont come to u but u go to enemy and use steal time immediately when its ready.

in the second case, encounters are mostly aoe and most mobs in nw come as group, encounters would hit more than mm, so crit would more come from encounters. so probably wis would gives more crit.

I use steal time literally on cooldown, its that good, and I still think charisma is way better for my build. I get what your logic is but I just can't see the numbers even coming out close even in AOE heavy fights. 1% extra CD reduction will literally equate to 1% extra damage on my encounter powers if you had a long duration combat log to look at. Charisma gives me 1% crit which is obviously very good even if you don't take the synergy from feats into account. I'm not sure what the default crit severity is but for the sake of argument I'll assume its 50% so 1% crit = .5% increased damage overall because you're gaining 50% damage 1% of the time. It's hard to quantify combat advantage damage because its hard to say how often you will have it up.

But those assumptions don't factor in feats. When you factor in feats the combat damage becomes essentially a flat %1 damage buff which is by itself greater than wisdoms 1% increase because combat advantage applies to encounter abilities, dailies, and at-wills unlses I'm mistaken? But then you had the crit to that and give any weight you want to the synergy between the two and it just seems way stronger to me. You may be right and we can't say for sure without logs to look at but I'd bet all my money on charisma being better for my build.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    There is not a chance to crit per mob hit, but per spell cast. It either crits all mobs, or none. Recovery will never out damage crit, it can't stack high enough.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

i dont know that, then it changes a lot.
  • Options
    derresshderressh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Default crit severity is 75%
  • Options
    x0y1x0y1 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Pov from a lvling end 30th build. Chill Strike in Tab, Entangling Force, Sudden Storm, *random power (repel/rof) + Magic Missile & Storm Pillar (charged alpha) with Renegade Tree. I use encounter powers on cd, parsing with ACT I ended up some fights with MM doing half my dmg.

So yes things maybe different at lvl 60 with "good" gear but atm I count on a crit build. ;)
  • Options
    cihuacoatlcihuacoatl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wow, 1-50 in a weekend... sounds like another baby game. I was really hoping this game was real. I hate games you can beat in a week.

When will MMOs learn... if players hit max level in a week. They stop playing in a month... there is already 1 WoW We do not need another.
  • Options
    cihuacoatlcihuacoatl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    With that said...

What type of end game activities are there to keep the hardcore interested. I know there is the foundry, but that will take a few months at least to mature. I was thinking of getting the Hero of the North package before launch... starting to have second thoughts. Is it true beta exp rates are increase for testing... and what type of raid material is there at end game?
  • Options
    desthatdesthat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hi can someone who played CW and DC compare the aoe capacity of both please? I cant make my mind for my main between the two and it is aoe+CC vs aoe+heal.
  • Options
    ghoward96ghoward96 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    cihuacoatl wrote: »
    With that said...

What type of end game activities are there to keep the hardcore interested. I know there is the foundry, but that will take a few months at least to mature. I was thinking of getting the Hero of the North package before launch... starting to have second thoughts. Is it true beta exp rates are increase for testing... and what type of raid material is there at end game?

If there were good enough foundry missions on bw3, i doubt 1 week will be enough to complete them all.... Now with that said....
    I've heard, though i am not sure, there will be no raiding and i hope there never is. Raiding made wow what it is... Even wow players admit wow is ruined ever since BC, and the only reason they come back (i admit i have done so too) is because of good marketing..... If you take into account that there are only some things that change in the presence of raids:
    1.- PvP.... this might not sound true, but it was the level 60 raids that caused blizzard to create resilience, which allows only the fastest of pvpers to get to end game pvp... In the end, it makes pvp a full grindfest, which is what it shouldn't be.....
    2.- The themes of those same raids.... Yes, they change the themes and the dps needed to finish a boss, even so, there is also an increase in dps done (check 3) so it doesn't make it more difficult
    3.- More and more of the same (grind for those who don't know).... if you think raids are good you are a lost cause, if you think they are epic you just haven't seen anything else (check GW2, specifically WvW)...

Yes, GW2 had an epic fail for a launch, and it's equivalent of PvP, called sPvP there to make a difference is bad imho.... but don't EVER tell me 25 man raids are epic, when there in GW2 you can see 1500 players across 3 teams fighting a really epic battle.... And yes, i've played it, it truly happens in more than one of the four maps (and the 1500 is for each, for a maximum of 6k which usually doesn't happen, but it can easily get to 3k players across the first 2 maps)