test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GWF,GF as main bad idea?

warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
edited April 2013 in The Militia Barracks
i planed to have gwf as main char for long time but after they nerf it even more im not so sure,i hoped it will be able to have great dps but looks like it dont and dont wish to make mistake of taking tank char in mmo again ,i dont wont be left out of party since i slow them dawn i dont wont to look for team long before i find ,and cant play caster i dont like them ,so anyone played real end game dungeons ?will only dps matter in the end like in every mmo?so im afraid taking gf or gwf would be huge mistake :(
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• argantisargantis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    GWF definitely is a buyer beware class. IMO the hybrid is always the one that takes them a year to get right.
  • rkv13rkv13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    If everything was perfectly balanced, would you play a GWF over everything else?

If yes, play GWF.
    8.jpg
  • thepoisonsvodkathepoisonsvodka Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If I understand you correctly you don't want to play CW, GWF or GF...sounds like you will be perfect for TR.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    yeah but like to play tank classes ,but in the end i always feel bad for taking it :( since none wonts me in team since i would only slow them dawn, so to can find party im forced to ask friends to play whit me so i wonted to make gwf here but since everyone complain it sucks so i now started to consider pure tank class gf
    edited April 2013
    If I understand you correctly you don't want to play CW, GWF or GF...sounds like you will be perfect for TR.

tr i reserved for friend he always plays rouges like classes in games
  • licourtrix1licourtrix1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 232 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    One of the beautiful things about this game is the queue system. As for your ability, play your classes role, whatever class you pick and you will do fine, The mechanics of this game are not so precise that a mistake or 2 wipes a party.

A GWF is a fine choice, their damage is decent and their off-tank ability is also decent. There will always be people who want more in their favorite class. Try not to listen to them, play what you enjoy.
    How much do clothes cost in the Matrix?
    edited April 2013
    One of the beautiful things about this game is the queue system. As for your ability, play your classes role, whatever class you pick and you will do fine, The mechanics of this game are not so precise that a mistake or 2 wipes a party.

yeah but u i dont think we will be able to run epic dungeons if i dont get healer in team and queue dont give cleric a lot of time
  • silknightsilknight Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 199
    edited April 2013
    I'd say to try it out early on, but if you purchased one of the hero packs with character bind items, be careful before you commit those items to the class. I'm definitely gonna try it out before I bind any of single character Items or the Astral Diamonds. I'd love it if Neverwinter clarified the class, if it was gonna have similar damage numbers to the rest of Strikers / DPS, but until they do definitely will be a trial basis.
  • rkv13rkv13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    warpet wrote: »
    yeah but u i dont think we will be able to run epic dungeons if i dont get healer in team and queue dont give cleric a lot of time

Despite my intent to main as a Cleric it is my genuine hope that a Healer will not be necessary to beat endgame content. Any composition should be able to do it IMO, especially since Clerics aren't the typical MMO heal-bots but rather a DPS/Support class.

My go-to reasoning for this: The Companions of the Hall didn't need a Cleric, so why should any of us? :D
    8.jpg
  • licourtrix1licourtrix1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 232 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013

I know that so far i have been able to complete dungeons up to lvl 52 with no cleric or no GF or neither. I think its premature to say that a specific class is necessary at this stage. I just wanted to let you know that the GF/GWF is not a bad choice at all as a main, and don't believe that there is a "bad" choice.
    edited April 2013
    yeah i will just lvl up gwf then and wait for them to ad some other class or buff up it before i spend anything on it ,main problem on gf was that he is not needed so much mostly just to tank ads so i hope gwf will be able to tank ads at least,ty all
  • thewobeythewobey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    rkv13 wrote: »
    Despite my intent to main as a Cleric it is my genuine hope that a Healer will not be necessary to beat endgame content. Any composition should be able to do it IMO, especially since Clerics aren't the typical MMO heal-bots but rather a DPS/Support class.

My go-to reasoning for this: The Companions of the Hall didn't need a Cleric, so why should any of us? :D

Yah but in the scale of power, skill and knowledge the Companions of the hall, are 10x stronger then any of us will ever be. So just take a healer and calm down ;p
  • altodarraltodarr Member Posts: 60
    edited April 2013
    You can't tank epic dungeon bosses without shield/block.
    You can't deal with adds without aoe cc.

So you should always have a GF and a CW in your party.
    But the best party setup is definitely 1 of each class.
  • sendriensendrien Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    warpet - If you're interested in a tanky GWF build that will still be useful in top level dungeons AND never slow down your team, PM me.
    The world is not beautiful; therefore, it is.
  • silknightsilknight Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 199
    edited April 2013
    altodarr wrote: »

Then what happens when they add Warlock / Ranger / whatever other said class. Class comp shouldn't be the end all deciding factor. Personally, I like what WoW implemented at the end of their run, where when you que'd you chose your intended role. I'd love to see a similar system for this game and it's PvE. But that's just me.
    edited April 2013

Pure speculation. We haven't seen end game content yet.
  • altodarraltodarr Member Posts: 60
    edited April 2013
    Pure speculation. We haven't seen end game content yet.

Maybe you haven't seen it but alpha testers surely did.
  • visidiousvisidious Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I believe GWF will be viable, the big fights I saw in dungeons had lots of adds that could be considered just as much a challenge as the boss. I think GWF will be sought after for non squishy AOE add tanking and dps adding stability amidst chaos.
    edited April 2013
    Maybe you haven't seen it but alpha testers surely did.

Are you one of them, releasing info on the game that has yet to be released?
  • xecutioner84xecutioner84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3
    edited April 2013
    I was stuck between GWF and TR and seeing that the GWF doesn't do decent damage anymore guess i'll just roll TR to start because I bought Hero of the north for the renegade drow so I could be a awesome looking rogue.
  • argantisargantis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Are you one of them, releasing info on the game that has yet to be released?

LoL why yah gotta be a snitch? Leave the guy alone, he is here helping people and it is too close to open beta to be petty.
    edited April 2013

so is gwf good idea for end game ?
  • terhixterhix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 242 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013

It is a bad idea to roll a class you don't like for the sake of being desired in end game rather than rolling a class you do like.
    edited April 2013
    terhix wrote: »
    It is a bad idea to roll a class you don't like for the sake of being desired in end game rather than rolling a class you do like.

Actually, depending on how quickly you get to end game, and how much time you decide to put into end game content, rolling for end game is not a bad idea. It's not bad to roll a class to be desired for end game group content, whether you PvE or PvP.
  • kidbskidbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 294
    edited April 2013

In all honesty I would rather have a second CW or DC for the additional CC and AoE at this point. They both do better AoE damage than a GWF.
  • terhixterhix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 242 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    silknight wrote: »
    Actually, depending on how quickly you get to end game, and how much time you decide to put into end game content, rolling for end game is not a bad idea. It's not bad to roll a class to be desired for end game group content, whether you PvE or PvP.

1) Would you really roll a class you do not like? I wouldn't, even if it was shooting oneshotting lazers out of it's eyes.
    2) We have no idea about viability of classes in level 60 content, especially the epic versions of the dungeons. You may guess based on lower level content, but my experience tells me that different classes scale differently with levels and judging level 60 content even by level 50 experience is just what it is, a guess. Remember Warrior forums after release of vanilla WoW and people crying the class was weak? I do.
    3) Even if the class you decide on turns out to be somewhat less desired in endgame it still doesn't mean you can't do endgame with it. It might turn out that if played well and/or played in a more exotic composition it might not only be good, but actually be the critical member of the party. Someone mentioned rets before, our 5v5 team in TBC sported a ret when the spec was considered to be dead, and it worked like a charm since only one of our healers could cleanse.
    4) Balance in MMOs is never set in stone, so judging what class to roll based on how "strong" or "weak" it is (by whatever standards you decide to label it by), rather than the playstyle, is rather shortsighted. Rolling a tank or a healer will generally give you shorter queue time, but there are people who don't like to heal or tank.

TLDR: relax and grab a beer while we wait for Open Beta. If you have specific concerns, such as lack of on-demand threat in a tank build as argantis has then by all means do express them, that is valuable feedback. Saying the class is crappy or that you are unsure if you want to roll it if it's too weak is not.
    edited April 2013

In the long run there is no bad choice. As long as you are willing to park the character and come back to it later if things are not working out. For me that is what I will do. I am going 100% add tank type of build with a possibility to feat swap or respec into a main tank build should that be available to us down the line. I may even emphasize Con a little more in my initial rolls to keep the gap between Dex and Con smaller should I decide to switch things around later. I have not settled as much on starting stat array as much because of this.

I have it planned on Str / Dex based on the current info and build choices, but should Con become more valuable then I can easily adjust to that and flip to another build that I have planned out. I am not too concerned either way, because at most I will lose a month or two of time and learn the class in the process, then reroll it if need be. No matter what I am determined to be a defender type of GWF. If I cannot main tank bosses, I am OK with that, so long as I can gather up and tank the adds. To me there is a lot of value in either role in both a group, or later on raids.

Should that fail I will play around with either a Guardian Fighter or a Devoted Cleric. Leaning towards the Guardian Fighter. In that case I will just xfer over all of my gold, spend all of my currency, and remake Argantis as a GF instead of a GWF, or possibly even wait to see how the melee ranger is. As long as I leave the 2.6 mil of AD I have from founders packs alone, I have nothing to fear. Well also the end game item pack too.

I have contemplated making a GF straight out of the gates, but I just don't see Cryptic leaving the class in any sort of broken state. They have something at their disposal in this game that they did not in their other games. They have this tracking system, to tell them how many potions a given class uses, when they die and what kills them, and a lot of other statistics as well. They have already used it to balance classes and they will use it in the future as well. So while I am a bit skeptical of the early development of the game, and the GWF role in that, I have no long term fears. In fact the only reason I am holding off on claiming AD and the founder weapon is because I am unsure about a reroll, not that I am unsure about the class.

If you think you will play the game for at least two years and you like the mechanics then go for it. They have also stated a commitment to have good quality classes over quantity. I have quite a bit of faith that it will get balanced within six months if not sooner even if it does need adjustments.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I think I explained it.

TL;DR I love the class and have faith that Cryptic will balance it. If need be I will play another main for a while until they figure things out.
  • leissesleisses Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    1) Would you really roll a class you do not like? I wouldn't, even if it was shooting oneshotting lazers out of it's eyes.

Some people don't have problem to play with any class, so they can choose class by power. It's not the same thing as play a class you do not like.
    edited April 2013
    leisses wrote: »
    Some people don't have problem to play with any class, so they can choose class by power. It's not the same thing as play a class you do not like.

It is pretty axiomatic that if you do like to play all the classes, then there is no class you do not like to play and the whole point becomes irrelevant. "Not having a problem" and "playing and enjoying it" are two completely different things, but before we dilute ourselves in definitions - the answer to the original question whether it's a good idea to make a GWF for end game is, simply put, subjective.

Hope I've worded myself clear now, cheers.
    edited April 2013
    ... the answer to the original question whether it's a good idea to make a GWF for end game is, simply put, subjective.

Hope I've worded myself clear now, cheers.

LoL clear as mud :) What is your personal take on it? Do you think the GWF has a role as a main tank in end game? Add tank? AoE DPS Striker?