test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry authors introduction thread

gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
edited June 2015 in The Foundry
With old introductions gone, why not introduced ourselves (though we already know each other :p)?

Well, it will be more of a re-introduction thread I guess.

I will start. I am Gill. I like to play D&D. I am what you can call a hardcore Forgotten realms fan. However outside of the realms, my interest drops with exponential curve (y=e^x). I am a physicist but I had a lot of interest in 3D modeling (which was helpful in my studies too, to some extent). Now that boring RL stuff is over, I plan to make foundry quests and share my D&D stories with you all.
Post edited by gillrmn on

Comments

• apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hello,

as previously posted I am Apocrs

I'm a long time gamer and fan... my first toy was an Atari lol.
    Video games have been a huge part of my passion and love in life.
    I am an Art Institute Graduate in Computer animation art and modeling, I'm also a concept artist and keep my artistic eye out for what looks really Cool :)
    I have busted my hump to bring you the I believe it to be the very first User Created Dungeon or (UCD) in any MMO (I believe it will showcase what the Foundry Tool can really do!) I hope everyone enjoys and I'll be working hard to create more if it's what the masses end up wanting. Again welcome to Neverwinter!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • thunderspankerthunderspanker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 713 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Hello all! Thanks for making the thread, gillrmn. Im a DnD player from the 70's, with a bit of time off .. actually about 17 years off. lol.. Had a kid, got a job, etc.. and that took all my time.. :). But I kept myself busy playing Wow When it came out, and then Star Trek, and dabbled in a number of games. I have a lot more time these days, to be able to devote to something of this caliber. It has been a fun ride, to be sure, through all the hair pulling moments when I yelled at the screen, and everyone around me was like, "wtf is a dialog trigger?". lol. I have extensive training in 3D environments, and animation, using just about every one of them over the years, and find the Foundry an absolutely wonderful tool. I like to remember the roots of DnD, and always worthy of mention are Gary Gygax, and Dave Arneson, whom began my journeys into the unknown. The Dead Ale Wives deserve their own area of mention, for being legendary. DnD shaped a great portion of my childhood, into adulthood, and provided rich worlds to excercise my imagination in, so I am grateful for those years, and parents that let me play "Satan's game".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Himmelville - Are you easily frightened?
    Click Here

On one side of the mountain, there were bones...
  • zaphtasticzaphtastic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hi everyone!

I'm Zaph. I actually started my D&D carreer with... Dragonlance after being impressed by the SSI Gold Box games for the C-64 (Champions/Death Knights of Krynn). Okay, I know what you're thinking, but I was still in elementary / high school, didn't know better, and... and... DON'T JUDGE ME! *cries*

*ahem*

Anyway. I've been obsessed with UGC in online games since the MUD days of the 90s (if you ever played on the MUD 'Pandora's Box', I built the Mountain Nevermind zone there). If you played City of Heroes, you may have played some of my story arcs (@Zaphir) there too. IRL I'm an IT security auditor / researcher, so it makes sense that I have to create some stuff to counteract all the breaking of stuff I do at work! I consider text the best storytelling medium (mostly due to my MUD background)... but don't worry, I know what "show, don't tell" means. ;)
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hi I am DeathsSickle/@DeathsCrowbar . I fix cartridge based gaming consoles, play lots of video games and currently have no job. Im a young guy. I run the guild Hardcore Christian Gamers. I am allergic to cats, and crustaceans. I live in the South in the US. I like sweet tea and coke(not together though), fried catfish and generally most fried foods. Ive been with Neverwinter since the beginning and hope to bring some great UGC. Also I only have made 1 quest so far.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nyghomanyghoma Member Posts: 546 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    apocrs1980 wrote: »

I am an Art Institute Graduate in Computer animation art and modeling, I'm also a concept artist and keep my artistic eye out for what looks really Cool :)

I knew there was something fishy about your dungeon bro! It was too pretty!

I'm glad we have authors like you to set the bar high.
    tol-banner.png

NW-DT4OV7EXH

Every time they idiot-proof something...they make better idiots.
  • demiurgerealmdemiurgerealm Member Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I am Alex Mars, aka Soulclaw, aka Forlorn_Hope, aka the Demiurge. I started PnP rpgs with the original three D&D tan pamphlets in the late 70s and have been playing PnP games ever since. I got into computer games with the Gold Box D&D games and into game editors with the Unlimited Adventures toolset. I made a lot of maps with the HoMM and AoW strategy game editors and ran several NWN1 campaigns and some small persistent worlds. Started in MMOs with UO in 98 and played most of them since then with a long stay in WoW and LotRO and currently playing SWTOR and CO.

Household: 1 wife and 3 cats, computer network/printer/MFP tech, USMC 1975-80.
    -Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Realm of the Demiurge Foundry Works

Neverwinter isn't D&D, it is a MMO based on a game that uses D&D terms but isn't really D&D either. NW is fun (for that matter so is 4E), but it isn't D&D, and once you wrap your expectations around that you will be able to enjoy the game for what it offers and not worry about what it does not.
  • krubarkrubar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 841 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Greetings. I am Krubar. I am in college working on a IT degree and a programmer degree. My first toy that I did basic programming on was a commodore 64 computer. I have played many computer games including Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale, Diablo 1-3, Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, and many other games. I use to mess with the Neverwinter Nights toolset to try to make a persistent world but I did not get very far with it. I thought I would have a hard time with the Neverwinter Foundry because of my lack of experience. I was wrong. The Neverwinter Foundry is actually fairly easy to get started creating quests. I think anyone can make a quest in the Foundry. The really good quests will require more time though. Some of these Silverstars and Moonstars have some truly awesome quests with lots of details.

You will most likely enjoy the Foundry. If you have any questions about the Foundry, just ask any Silverstar or Moonstar or a GM.
  • tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm TiLT, and I work as a systems developer (a fancy name for a programmer). I have been a game master in roleplaying games for almost 20 years, and have built a lot of experience with storytelling and player expectations in that time. I've played every single edition of D&D ever released. I have a strong interest in game design, so you'll probably see me chime in once in a while to point out when someone's cool idea isn't really one that should be implemented, or vice-versa. I pay special attention to characters when designing my quests, giving them actual personalities and depth. I avoid the moustache twirling villains that D&D tends to be so plagued with.

Some of you may already know me as one of the people behind the Precursors official remix project for Star Control 2. I also released a module for Neverwinter Nights called Beasts of the Night that got into the NW Vault Hall of Fame, something I'm pretty proud of.
  • moondawg13moondawg13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hello all, and welcome.

I, Moondawg, have been playing D&D on an off since Gary Gygaxx first designed the original blue box. I have played almost every MMO (my closet looks like the storeroom of Game Stop), but I am very excited about Neverwinter and The Foundry. I can again, create my favorite campaigns and share them with everyone. To quote Mr. Gygaxx: "A DM only rolls the dice because of the noise they make."
    I am a retired Network Administrator / Engineer so I have lots of time to play in The Foundry.

I will be more than glad to answer any questions you may have about The Foundry.
    Campaign: The Legend of Snowmane
    Chapter One: In Search of the Legend
  • garbadukegarbaduke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 32
    edited April 2013
    Well met. My handle is @pokerjay23. I live in Ontario Canada and hate winter and hockey. I've had a soft spot in my heart for D&D since about 1986 when I got my first pretty red box. I asked for the game Castles and Catapults for my birthday but got D&D instead. Probably the best mistake ever perpetrated on me. I don't play table top anymore but still love the concept. I work in the glamorous field of plastics extrusion and have 3 kids. My youngest son who is 10, loves playing neverwinter and I cant blame him. I've made 3 quests but only have 1 published at the moment. This game is nothing like the D&D I remember but I went into beta knowing that. I'm just a fan of what Neverwinter actually is......A Great Game.

I should also add I'm looking for a friendly social guild. Not a pvp guild or a RP guild or an elitist guild. Just one where a bunch of like minded individuals wanna play the game at their own speed and crack bad jokes over teamspeak.
  • mustymusty Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hello;

I am @cowlei (Author Foundry Nick);

I never played PnP D&D; a lot of my friends did, at that time I had other interests. I am a computer nerd from back when card readers were the preferred method of programming. If you know what I am talking about then your as old as I am lol. I am a retired service member (Ballistics number cruncher). I am a Software developer (C#(retired as well)).

I have played (I am sure) about 90 percent of the games out there from 1983 to present day. I came to this game due to it's title. My brother and I created a couple persistent words with NWN, ran it for a couple years, and it faded into the past. I was intrigued with the thought of a 3d NWN, so here I am (I know it's not Neverwinter Nights).

Currently I play around now with developing Mobile apps atm. I also run the website www.nwugc.com where I make and provide video tutorials on the use of the Foundry Tools-Set and it's resources.

That's enough now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Website Dedicated to Foundry Tutorials: www.NWUGC.com Twitter: @NWUGC
    Check out my Foundry Adventures and don't forget to Rate them!

Gold or Bones!!
  • gbachuragbachura Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 81
    edited April 2013
    Hey All!

I'm gbachura/@gbachura, and I've been playing all sorts of computer games since about 1994 and on. I've been addicted to the NWN1/NWN2 game series for a long time and I've been an avid roleplayer for about 15+ years.

I like to write stories, and I also LOVE to make jumping puzzles. You should look forward to both of those things from me in the Foundry.

I'm still getting my feet wet with the Foundry (I only have one quest Published right now, and it's The Shattered Crypt), so I'm sure I'll have lots of questions to ask my fellow 'Stars, and so I hope to get to know you all better through doing so. I'm also open to sharing what little knowledge I do have with my fellow authors.

Also, if anyone out there needs help with the writing/dialogue/story aspects of their stuff, I'm happy to give lots of tips and tricks from my stash of said tips and tricks.

I can speak a bit of German with a moderate vocabulary, so if there are any German players out there: Willkommen bei Neverwinter Online. Wir sind sehr glucklich, Sie zu treffen!

Cheers!
    BachuraBanner2_zps54c0e752.png
    Credit to original artwork by Michael Whelan, go check out his stuff it's awesome!

►● Characters ●◄
    ♠ Talrik Threefinger ♠ Eredis Mal ♠ Soltyrr Do'rret ♠

Try my Foundry Jumping Puzzles!
  • wininoidwininoid Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hi! I'm @winin in game. I'm a robot repair guy in real life, though I also write novels, children's stories, and make games as hobbies. I started D&D back in the '70s and played until college. Later I got into MMOs and hobby level game design. MMOs have been my favorite game genre since I entered Norrath. I LOVE that I can now make quests (i.e. tell stories) in a MMO. It's like the devs took all my favorite things and put them into one package.
  • gemstrikegemstrike Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Greetings! Languard/@gemstrike here. I was introduced to D&D by an unusual route, the 'choose your own adventure' format books. Had two of those long before I saw the Red Box (the original, not that...thing...that came out a few years ago). Got the Red Box, and I was hooked from there. I teach game programming and design, so in addition to some good old fashioned dungeon crawls, I plan on generating a lot of video tutorials for the Foundry.

Foundry Author! Check out @gemstrike to see my quests :)
    Want to make your own? Then watch my videos.
    New Videos
    Old Videos
  • chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hey everyone, @chili1179 in game, Chili in voice chat and Michael IRL.

I've been a D&D fan since the 80s (yep, that's an eight) and a DM for some years through my pen and paper career. I love RPGs especially the ones set in Forgotten Realms so I had my hands deep into the NWN 1 & 2 tool sets as well as other moddable RPGS (like Skyrim and DA:O).

Even though I have clocked a ton of hours in the Foundry over the past several months, I find myself learning new things on a daily basis and enjoy playing other authors content and discussing/sharing with other authors for ideas to try and make the UGC better than the official content! I want to show the world of MMOs that Cryptic has hit on something the others are lacking by giving it's players the tools to generate content and just how talented the gamers are.

I look forward to meeting the multitude of new faces and asking/answering questions when and if I can. The beta Foundry community has been a great one and I hope it remains so through the game's release and years to come.

Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • agentjasporagentjaspor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hey folks, Jaspor here.

As others have mentioned, I grew up with a good ol' C-64 and loved the old D&D gold box games. Curse of the Azure Bonds was my favorite of the bunch. I decided at a young age I wanted to make video games when I grew up.

Many years and a degree in computer science later, I'm a professional software developer, though have never worked on video games as a career. I dabbled with MUDs and helped design and write code for one of them back in college, and absolutely loved building things in NWN. I've played most major MMOs along the way, starting with Ultima Online and still currently playing SWTOR. (I worked for one of the major SWTOR websites for awhile as a writer.)

I'm looking forward to bringing my love for games and creating things to Neverwinter, and I'm totally excited about being able to create content in an MMO. Every time I touch the Foundry, I seem to find something new that it's capable of doing. I'm looking forward to future improvements to the system. Also looking forward to seeing what people think of my quests, and being able to see the wonderfully creative things my fellow authors have done. :)

-Jaspor
    @agentjaspor
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Howdy!

Bobcat or in game Hoopty Redhammer.

I am a 10-12 year MMO vet, I have been playing video games since atari, well even that pong game before atari. I am a Pipefitter/Welder in real life. In forums and game I usually am not to serious... Humor is my #1 Priority! I have never really been involved with DnD since I've found about this game I have been nose deep in novels, wikis anything to get more knowledge on lore with DnD. I have fell in love with the game, and the community!

I will help out any authors usually by playtesting, well cuz I'm just not as good as all these other amazin authors and they seem to make stuff better.
  • apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I just realized something, we have enough talent right here in the thread to make our own game development company if we so chose to. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • celantracelantra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 465
    edited April 2013
    Hello, I am Celantra, ingame as @celantra. I have been a gamer since pong. I am perpetually 39 so have forgotten how old I really am. I have played PnP D&D since it was transitioning from a tabletop wargame. I have a wife and 2 great kids, that help me stay 39.

I have worked as both a pnp and card game developer as well as a game reviewer. In addition I have worked as a theatrical producer and computer programmer so have a varied and interesting pool of resources to pull from.

I have played in the MMO space since Neverwinter Nights on AOL, what I believe was the first graphical MMO of any quality. Since then I think I have played pretty much every game that has come out for at least a little while. I am an Alpha and Beta enthusiast, and have participated in many as the years have rolled along. I have to say Neverwinter has been one of the most gratifying.

I love forgotten realms and Neverwinter lore in particular. I love telling stories. The Foundry provides a rich and dynamic toolset to build content that is playable by others, while being integrated in a really great MMO game. What more could a person like me ask for really. I plan on supporting this tool to my best abilities moving forward and really appreciate all the great people I have had the chance to meet so far. All I can say is let the Silverstars shine.
  • matixzonmatixzon Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    'Sup, Everyone!
    I like playing games, and playing with making content for games.
    @mawexzon

I like cats :cool:.

UGC Campaign: The Coldblooded Scrolls
    edited April 2013
    matixzon wrote: »
    'Sup, Everyone!

You also like cats.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • thunderspankerthunderspanker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 713 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    matixzon wrote: »
    'Sup, Everyone!

Then you have a lot of play yet to be done.. :) .. Once you get in, you might never see the sun again.. WELCOME!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click Here

• thaliffthaliff Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Hey everyone,

Thaliff here. I've been a D&D fanatic, playing since 1979. DM'd for too many years from mid 80's to late 90's with most of it in this brand new box set I picked up one day called Forgotten Realms. Spent many a paycheck on nothing else but food, rent, gas and D&D books. (not necessarily in that priority order :p ) I've created both through design and on the fly many, many places. Places I hope to bring to life here.

Missed the early boat on this game so aside from all the info and manuals (thanks gilrim), I'm a newb at the foundry. But I'm a quick study so you'll be seeing a lot of me and...almost let it slip. You'll see soon enough.
    On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Salutations all.

Commodore 64? Pffft. That thing is so shiny new and blazing fast I'd drool. It's scary! I got my start on the -coughs- Timex Sinclair and dabbled on Altair.

I've been a professional media specialist, at the forefront of 3D Raytracing and modeling, (3D Studio and Toast on the Amiga, anyone?) and have also done a lot of professional stage production and movie-making (I absolutely love telling stories!) I am currently chilling-out as a professional graphic designer.

I remember Dungeons & Dragons when it was so new there were news stories on the national news about the "detrimental mental and psychological impact of america's youth who play the game" (!) I dabbled for a couple years, then moved on. I remember watching the Saturday morning Dungeons and Dragons cartoon. That was about the extent of my D&D interest until I discovered the Dragonlance books, which I devoured insatiably. And alas I don't have a clue about Forgotten Realms lore.

But this shouldn't be a problem because in the end: it's still D&D, right? A good story teller can always wing their way into weaving a fascinating story as long as they pick and choose which details to include and which to exclude.

I've been creating my own computer Role Playing graphical adventures since around 1885 or so (using tools, I'm not any kind of a coder or programmer). I'm also a lover (not fanatic, mind you) of the Star Trek universe so I cut my teeth on the Foundry in STO, which is a major benefit as the learning curve for NW Foundry for me was minuscule.

I am hopeful to share any of the knowledge I have with anyone who wants it, in addition to and in support of the vast knowledge Tilt and Gillrmn have and are willing to share.

I hope to see you in-world!
    edited April 2013
    1885??? WAITER! I will have what he is having.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click Here

• krubarkrubar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 841 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Salutations all.

Commodore 64? Pffft. That thing is so shiny new and blazing fast I'd drool. It's scary! I got my start on the -coughs- Timex Sinclair and dabbled on Altair.

I've been a professional media specialist, at the forefront of 3D Raytracing and modeling, (3D Studio and Toast on the Amiga, anyone?) and have also done a lot of professional stage production and movie-making (I absolutely love telling stories!) I am currently chilling-out as a professional graphic designer.

I remember Dungeons & Dragons when it was so new there were news stories on the national news about the "detrimental mental and psychological impact of america's youth who play the game" (!) I dabbled for a couple years, then moved on. I remember watching the Saturday morning Dungeons and Dragons cartoon. That was about the extent of my D&D interest until I discovered the Dragonlance books, which I devoured insatiably. And alas I don't have a clue about Forgotten Realms lore.

But this shouldn't be a problem because in the end: it's still D&D, right? A good story teller can always wing their way into weaving a fascinating story as long as they pick and choose which details to include and which to exclude.

I've been creating my own computer Role Playing graphical adventures since around 1885 or so (using tools, I'm not any kind of a coder or programmer). I'm also a lover (not fanatic, mind you) of the Star Trek universe so I cut my teeth on the Foundry in STO, which is a major benefit as the learning curve for NW Foundry for me was minuscule.

I am hopeful to share any of the knowledge I have with anyone who wants it, in addition to and in support of the vast knowledge Tilt and Gillrmn have and are willing to share.

I hope to see you in-world!

Wow, your really old if you been making adventures since 1885. :P
  • wininoidwininoid Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    He's a vampire! I knew it!
    edited April 2013
    No wonder he is angry.
  • csilecsile Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hello everyone.
    I know of DnD but have never played it my self.
    I how ever have been interested in and played a lot of the old(Lineage I"2d" / DaOC) and new games out there. I have a degree in Web development and went back to school to study Computer science(I
  • bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    apocrs1980 wrote: »
    I just realized something, we have enough talent right here in the thread to make our own game development company if we so chose to. :)

Yeah lets create our game, and then take over the world!