test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Great read!!! Players and devs!!!

salvyosalvyo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Funny… it occurred to me while reading some Thomas Paine, that he understood why all the new modern MMORPG’s fail.

“Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.”
- Thomas Paine

Even though he was speaking of “liberty” and not “J-Boots” the principle remains the same – all the fun gameplay, awesome graphics, and great story really does mean jack-**** without some well placed “suck” to give the “great” some value.

The fact of the matter is, modern MMO’s give you everything. The development houses have twisted themselves into pretzels trying to completely removed all of “the suck.” They’ve caved to every whine, every demand, every preening troll and *****y quitter, to the point that modern MMORPG’s basically hold the player’s hand like a wet-nurse shepherding a three-year old to their potty-chair.

The problem is, “the suck” is what gave value to a treasure, a character, or a conquest. They game companies have tried to banish with all of “the suck” when they should have been BALANCING “the suck” to commiserate with the rewards.

“The suck” is like a spice. Add too much, and you have the Final Fantasy MMO’s, where raid bosses can take 50+ hours and teams of hundreds to kill. Add to little of “the suck” and your players won’t appreciate anything they have – and they will leave in droves once they’ve devoured the content. Like Star Wars: The Old Republic. Or Failhammer. Or the current incarnations of WoW which are bleeding subscribers at a rate that can’t have the blizzard folks feeling very secure in their jobs…

Just as Paine said: “What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly.”

In the MMO heyday, the best equipment, the toughest monsters, and the most prized quests were difficult to obtain. Players had to work hard, and spend large amounts of time to achieve these things. Their personal arsenals, their wealth, and their victories gained value because of “the suck” involved in earning them. Nowadays however, rewards are tossed out like candy at a July 4th parade. Simply logging into some games after inactivity results in levels gained. Top flight gear is thrown to players with little effort, and challenging encounters have been castrated, in the name of appeasing a small minority that whines very, VERY loudly.

A player that truly put effort into their character, equipment, and fortune, will feel attached to it. It becomes valuable, it becomes a “possession.” They are not easily nudged away from it. That effort, “the suck,” keeps them shackled to a game, and paying those monthly fees. Bad defines good – and gives it meaning. The most recent additions to the MMORPG market have forgotten this, and without “the suck” properly balanced into gameplay, all the pretty graphics, glorious music, awesome game-play, and perfect voice-acting won’t keep the players around.

Those nights where a player smashes a keyboard against his desk until the keys come flying off are what makes killing the source of that “rage” worthwhile. Spending hours on a long and difficult quest, getting slain countless times, only to finally succeed, turns a collection of 1′s and 0′s with a cheesy thumbnail graphic into a precious treasure. Piles of Gold and Platinum in a bank-vault have value only because the player spent scores of hours repetitively crafting Bandages or Pastries to earn that money.

“The suck” needs to be a part of an MMO, or the player has zero personal investment, and zero reason to stick around.

Found this on a guild website and its a perfect explanation as to why MMO's are going to **** and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM FAIL to become a monster hit nowadays! Please Cryptic, take this and use it...because what brought MMO's to the forefront of pc gaming was its foundations which were built on challenge.
Stay Classy.....NEVERWINTER!
Post edited by salvyo on

Comments

• kimberixkimberix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree to some extent.

The best part is that when you look back at some of these games (the j-boots seems to imply Everquest), you hardly ever remember the suck, you just tend to remember all the good parts.

That has to be worth something?
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Im not sure I agree. We all dont fit in the same mold. For my own self, gaming is a hobby. Suck can completely stay out of it. I don't want to be challenged. I could care less about being elite or being accomplished. I just want a fun way to kill time without frustrations or making it a new career.

Maybe I just suck as a gamer. Perhaps I'm not worthy. But if I hit a point in a game where I start to struggle. I don't see it as a chance to get better. I see it as the point I go to look for another game.

The challenge is not balancing the "suck" the challenge is finding a happy medium between two vastly different player expectations.
  • fyranwulffyranwulf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 36
    edited April 2013
    I agree.

Even as a casual gamer i can honestly say something earned means a hell of a lot more than something given.
    signature_zps124e0389.png
  • zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thomas Paine's wisdom is more universal. With a casual gamer, the "suck" may be your work, while the game may be the "reward". If all you do is play games, then the game is your universe, and then makes perfect sense. Just playing devil's advocate. I do know where you're coming from though.
  • demiurgerealmdemiurgerealm Member Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    There are plenty of grinding games with lots of suck in them, why aren't you playing one of those? EQ1 is still online, btw.

I have a job, a wife, and a life, and no time for games with "suck" and when you grow up you will probably find that you are in the same position.
    -Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Realm of the Demiurge Foundry Works

Neverwinter isn't D&D, it is a MMO based on a game that uses D&D terms but isn't really D&D either. NW is fun (for that matter so is 4E), but it isn't D&D, and once you wrap your expectations around that you will be able to enjoy the game for what it offers and not worry about what it does not.
  • riqitariqita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Reminds me of EQ players lamenting the removal of those glorious corpse runs.
  • dramdrumdramdrum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 43
    edited April 2013
    MMOs are about numbers.

Yes, adding more of "the suck" will get you some players that will stick around until the end of time. But the vast majority do not enjoy it as WoW undeniably proved when it came out.

So todays developers will allways go with pleasing the vast majority.

And like someone else said, Everquest is still runing and it has like... what 15 expansions now?

If what you wrote in the OP is true, do you ever wonder why you still don't play EQ?
  • bardmedicine11bardmedicine11 Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    For the most part I agree. I still actively play SWTOR, and I can't tell you what any piece of equipment I own is. I haven't played my EQ bard, and I still know what pieces I had for nearly every slot.
  • vampuricknightvampuricknight Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 40
    edited April 2013
    here here if its easy enough that a single dev can beat it you haven't made it difficult enough. Let players rise to the challenge and become stronger by it.
  • moonmonstermoonmonster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    And once again people demonstrate their inability to distinguish between a personal preference and a universal truth.
  • yultyult Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 181 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I couldn't agree more with the original post. Almost all of my most treasured MMO memories are from EQ. Whether it was trying to run through that forested zone with the undead at night, trains in Karnor's Castle, getting slaughtered by guards, falling off cliffs or getting killed by wandering dragons in Western Wastes, wiping dozens of times to flurry drakes in ToV, many-hour-long corpse-runs in PoF, the list is endless. EverQuest was the best MMO, so memorable and so much fun, because it was such a brutal gameworld. You could easily die dozens of times just getting to level 20.

The wonder and awe delivered by a game where death is always just around the corner cannot be overstated. Even the most basic things like traveling from one city to another required work, skill, and learning. Anything even remotely difficult required teamwork.

I haven't had this feeling playing an MMO since EQ, though launch-era WoW at least offered glimpses of it in the high level instances. For whatever reason, and I suspect it's something to do with what the original poster has said, I suspect that we will never see this kind of thing emerge in an MMO again. I never had a chance to try Vanguard, though I heard it was meant to recapture some of that spirit, I don't know if it was successful.
  • yultyult Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 181 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    My own opinion aside, I think one thing that could really bring a lot of the benefits of the older games to the modern era is drastically slowing down leveling. Maybe not to original EQ1 speed, where getting to 50 (60 with Kunark) took hundreds of hours of gameplay. I think that if it took 200 hours to reach max-level at a games launch, that would be much preferable. There would be more meaning and life to the earlier levels, more challenge, more opportunities to make friends and explore dungeons at those levels.

In modern MMOs the leveling process is meaningless. You just do it as quickly as possible and that's that. That is a great loss, I think. In EQ, some of the things you would get while leveling were just as relevant and important at higher levels. Jboots, FBSS, etc. Make leveling matter again, make lower level dungeons difficult yet also the best source of exp and loot that maintains relevance even at level cap, and I think MMOs would be vastly improved.
  • dcoy1dcoy1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So much good here /applause. I'll add that the difficulty banded people together and made a strong, long lasting community. I fully understand that some people really just want a mindless no-challenge game. But that seems to be almost EVERYTHING on the market now. There are enough games out there to cater to all if the companies would just stop trying to cater to all and find their market. Instead of trying to be everything to everyone and dooming themselves to fail.
    edited April 2013
    I still haven't seen any of the so called hard core players explain why they are here and not playing a heavy grind asian game or the game that gave us the term "the suck", EQ1. I guess whining on forums about the good old days is more fun than actually playing a game that gives you what you seem to be asking for.

Neverwinter isn't D&D, it is a MMO based on a game that uses D&D terms but isn't really D&D either. NW is fun (for that matter so is 4E), but it isn't D&D, and once you wrap your expectations around that you will be able to enjoy the game for what it offers and not worry about what it does not.
  • ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Is someone actually claiming that old MMO content was actually challenging and exemplified the work ethic espoused by Thomas Paine?

I've read some whoppers of delusions on gaming boards, but that takes the cake.

Kids, when adults try to tell you that their video games were better because they were "hard", just laugh and remind them that sitting on your fat butt, twiddling some buttons with your fingers for hours while stuffing junk food in your maw, isn't even remotely "hard" and is the complete antithesis of the genuine work ethic that builds real self esteem.
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!
  • trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    EQ is awful just... awful.

In it's hayday EQ was fine. So were 1986 Jeep Wranglers which required manual switch over for four wheel drive with a lock & pin. Yes, it was fine back then but this isn't "back then". I'll take a push button conversion over the old lock & key any day.

And no I don't appreciate the older wranglers any more because they were harder to maintain or operate.

**** that. Been there done that bought the t-shirt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    ryger5 wrote: »
    Is someone actually claiming that old MMO content was actually challenging and exemplified the work ethic espoused by Thomas Paine?

Kids, when adults try to tell you that their video games were better because they were "hard", just laugh and remind them that sitting on your fat butt, twiddling some buttons with your fingers for hours while stuffing junk food in your maw, isn't even remotely "hard" and is the complete antithesis of the genuine work ethic that builds real self esteem.

Well, some people have empty, meaningless lives and think that sitting at their computer for over 12 hours killing the same monster again and again and again and again in hopes that the really rare dingus of power drops as loot would be a significant accomplishment to brag about.

• dcoy1dcoy1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well, some people have empty, meaningless lives and think that sitting at their computer for over 12 hours killing the same monster again and again and again and again in hopes that the really rare dingus of power drops as loot would be a significant accomplishment to brag about.

But bragging about a loot you got in 12 minutes with zero effort makes your life rich and full? Especially for young people learning skills like teamwork and concepts like risk/reward are good things. Yes it would be better if they learned them in say sports. But its better than learning everything is free and easy if you just show up. Where is the fun in that anyway?
    edited April 2013
    dcoy1 wrote: »
    But bragging about a loot you got in 12 minutes with zero effort makes your life rich and full?

1.) "Bragging" about anything you do online is absurd.

2.) Your definition of fun is not all encompassing. You enjoy grinding & coordinated large scale PvE content which results in a small chance for reward? There's nothing wrong with that. There are plenty of games out there that suit your desire. This is not one of them.

I don't like Dubstep. That's fine. What you don't see is me posting on Skrillex's website demanding he make his music more bubble gum pop to satisfy my tastes. I simply don't listen to him. Likewise I'm not writing strongly worded letters to WotC demanding that Ed Greenwood write his next book more in the style of Stephen King. Nor am I petitioning Ford Motors to make their newest line of pick up trucks into Mustang hybrids because I don't like trucks.

Are you picking up what I'm putting down or do I need to lay it on thicker?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    trickshaw wrote: »

2.) Your definition of fun is not all encompassing. You enjoy grinding & coordinated large scale PvE content which results in a small chance for reward? There's nothing wrong with that. There are plenty of games out there that suit your desire. This is not one of them.

I don't like Dubstep. That's fine. What you don't see is me posting on Skrillex's website demanding he make his music more bubble gum pop to satisfy my tastes. I simply don't listen to him. Likewise I'm not writing strongly worded letters to WotC demanding that Ed Greenwood write his next book more in the style of Stephen King. Nor am I petitioning Ford Motors to make their newest line of pick up trucks into Mustang hybrids because I don't like trucks.

1, nothing wrong with being proud of something you've done well. Or even just good fortune.

2, where did I spell out my definition of fun? I said games like this should be based around teamwork and meeting challenges. Some people taking such an offense and putting so many words in others mouths. This thread is about people wanting a level of difficulty and challenge instead of a loot pinata game. Which there are for sure PLENTY of out there. So you go play one ok?
    edited April 2013
    2, where did I spell out my definition of fun? I said games like this should be based around teamwork and meeting challenges.

Which is exactly what I implied.
    Some people taking such an offense and putting so many words in others mouths.

I take no offense, offer none in return and put no "words in your mouth."
    This thread is about people wanting a level of difficulty and challenge instead of a loot pinata game. Which there are for sure PLENTY of out there. So you go play one ok?

Or, now hear me out, I can play this one.

My solution is simple, play the game that was designed. Your solution is not, play the game after it's content and/or mechanics have been redesigned to suit the tastes of an audience it wasn't intended for. Which do you think the developers will cater to, hmm?

I can understand disagreeing with a mechanic, a quest line or other details about a game but arguing against the gameplay is an exercise in futility. Especially in regards to a game using a F2P model. Neverwinter isn't going to magically turn into the experience you want. You can either enjoy it for what it is or you can move on. Which is exactly what the appeal is for F2P games.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    You turned "teamwork and challenge" into grinding and small chance for reward. IE put words into my mouth. Sure play the game that was designed, or don't. But give your feedback, input, etc along the way. Arguing that the game is basically finished or set in stone and should be accepted as is shows how little you actually understand.
    edited April 2013
    You turned "teamwork and challenge" into grinding and small chance for reward.

There's a reason that sentence ended with a question mark. Look, I can school you in the finer points of the English language but I simply don't have the time or the patience. We'll just have to agree to disagree.
    Sure play the game that was designed, or don't. But give your feedback, input, etc along the way. Arguing that the game is basically finished or set in stone and should be accepted as is shows how little you actually understand.

Suggesting that the developers should redesign their entire loot table, gear/level progression and story line sequence to suit the tastes of a minority shows how little you "actually understand".

Look, you're clearly more emotionally invested in this topic than I am given your increasingly heated responses so I'll just bow out before someone snaps. I simply don't care. I know what the game is and accept it for what it is. You don't. That's fine. All I'll say is...

Good luck with that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • polymaticpolymatic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I disagree with you, OP.

For me, the game has never been the focus, it's always been about the people I've played with. Fraternity brothers, family, coworkers, etc. but never for the love of the game alone.

I may have enjoyed WoW as a game at one point (and I've been playing it since May 2005), but the only reason I still pay the $15 a month is because I know that a group of 9 other people depend on me to show up and do my job every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Sunday night (aka raid nights). I log on for those 12-14 hours and maybe 1 or 2 more to farm potions, flasks, and food buffs for said nights. I would PvP, but I dislike how gear-oriented WoW PvP is, so I play Planetside 2 to get my fix.

I doubt anyone in my raid group actually likes playing the game, else they would log on for more than raid and to cap arena points. When it's not a raid day there are maybe 2 people online and no one is on mumble. Raid night there are usually 10 on both, but (again) only during raid time.

I've personally been trying to escape WoW for a long time, but the one thing that keeps me chained to it is the responsibility I feel to show up for raid so that others can have fun (if they even do anymore). I'm actually starting to think most of the mid-level progression guilds are the same; that all the players only show up to raid for the sake of the rest of the team. Who knows?

In my experience, it's always been the human element that kept me in WoW. I've met a lot of great people via WoW, hell I've even written music for, and attended, some of their weddings.

This all leads me to believe that people, in my circle at least, will play the games that their friends play. The true amount of enjoyment they are getting from it can be judged by how much they play. If they play together all the time, are constantly on VOIP, and playing more than just for raid, that's a good indication that the game is fun for them to play. If they log on for raid and then disappear, it's pretty clear that they're not having fun and just logging on out of courtesy for the people they play with.
    Fighter.jpg
    edited April 2013
    There's a reason that sentence ended with a question mark. Look, I can school you in the finer points of the English language but I simply don't have the time or the patience. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Suggesting that the developers should redesign their entire loot table, gear/level progression and story line sequence to suit the tastes of a minority shows how little you "actually understand".

Look, you're clearly more emotionally invested in this topic than I am given your increasingly heated responses so I'll just bow out before someone snaps. I simply don't care. I know what the game is and accept it for what it is. You don't. That's fine. All I'll say is...

Good luck with that.

"Your definition of fun is not all

"There are plenty of games out there that suit your desire. This is not one of them."

Where are the question marks here? You got caught making wild assumptions. Keep "schooling" me though. Then again you can divine emotion from text. So I'm clearly outmatched here.

Please do me the the humble honor of pointing out where I suggested this "redesign their entire loot table, gear/level progression and story line sequence". Or show your data to support your claims of "minority". Feel free to correct any grammar mistakes. Or whatever else you need to do.
    edited April 2013
    ryger5 wrote: »

Considering how mind-numbing and hollow the overwhelming majority of jobs are in modern society, especially for younger people, it shouldn't be a shock that people seek meaning, challenge, and whatever else in fantasy game worlds.

I've been playing MMOs since the first EQ expansion, though not nearly so much the last 5 years, but EQ was without a doubt the hardest of them. You seem to imply that work ethic can only be applied to or learned from physical labor, which I couldn't disagree with more. Just because you sit on your *** doesn't mean you can't work hard or be focused on your craft - plenty of MMO players do just that. Is it worth anything, does it forge your character? Who's to say, probably not, but certainly not any less than the work ethic your boss forces upon you so you don't lose your job stacking boxes in a warehouse.

The point is, people look for challenges in different places, and it's just as legitimate finding it in video games as it is finding it anywhere else.
    edited April 2013

First I want to say that you are absolutely right. The conversation we are having has no place on this forum. It's abundantly clear to me that this game will offer none of the things being discussed, and that's fine, I already know what I expect from this game and those expectations will keep me from being disappointed. I happen to be bored, and thought this was an interesting topic, which is the extent of my reason for chiming in.

I do have to disagree with many of your (and other's) comments on EQ though. First of all, the challenge in EQ was not a result of the grind, it was the result of the game being so deadly. To me, that is the source of almost all of the difficulty, fun, and reward that I got from EQ. There were a million ways to die in almost every zone, and dying had consequences. That made the game a challenge.

As to the grinds, I have less memories of them, and that's probably because they were miserable. I'm not a fan of grinds, especially mindless ones. I can also say that grinds are not all created equally. The only Korean MMO I've played, TERA, was an absolute nightmare, instantly living up to the Korean RNG grind reputation, and I learned that there are exceedingly good reasons for people to hate those types of systems. Apparently it's a cultural thing, the MMO market in Korea likes mindless grinds. It's beyond my comprehension how they could possibly enjoy that.

All I'm saying is, I would love to see a difficult MMO. Not just an MMO with hard raid bosses, but a game that is genuinely dangerous throughout. I understand your jeep analogy and recognize its legitimacy, but I do think there is a significant difference between annoyances being eliminated and difficulty being done away with entirely. I haven't played a difficult MMO where I felt remotely in danger in the world in a long time. They seem to get easier and easier, and to me, that's a shame, although I'm sure there is a financial explanation for it like with everything else.
  • startuxstartux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 49
    edited April 2013
    Well one thing I absolutely don't miss from the old MMO's is the camping, or when you're on the last enemy before the objective only to see some jerk run past you to 'ninja' it away, that I don't miss.

People do have different tastes though :)
  • shadeyamiirashadeyamiira Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    In EQ1 you did not have a map and you had to learn the zones / dungeons layout by memory. It's different now in modern MMO's when you don't need to learn anything about zone / dungeon, you just navigate through the map markers.
    All I want to say is that it is much easier to play now in many modern MMO's, and I like a lot of them. :D
    CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4,10GHz
    MB: P8Z77-V LX
    Memory: Crucial DDR3 BalistIX 1600MHz 8GB
    GC: ATI HD7870 2GB
    Tower: Fractal Design R4