test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Guardian Pack or $60 Zen??

stringsestringse Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 63
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Titles pretty much explains the thread, but I want to know should I buy the guardian pack or spend money on zen for in-game store?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    erluciuserlucius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 213 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Pack, absolutely pack. ZEN store has got hella crazy high prices now, you won't get 1/10 of your money value now
  • Options
    omicron0099omicron0099 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Guardian definitely. The mount and pet alone are awesome, plus you get 3 days early access and you know u want that.
    Guardian of Neverwinter Giveaway - overpower3d.com
  • Options
    kimberixkimberix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Am I right in assuming that for us EU people, we get VAT charged on the Founder packs @ 20%

But for buying ZEN we don't?

Just wondered if that makes any difference to the value of the pack versus just buying ZEN - in effect, I can get $60 worth of ZEN by buying directly, but get charged a 20% overhead for anything in the packs.

However, I suppose it still boils down to early access which you can't put a price on.
  • Options
    jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I did a Zen value for the Guardian pack and the items I can peg to a value (ie can buy in Zen Store or via AD with vendors), the value is about 40k Zen.

items I cannot place a value on are:
    Ring of violet Continual Light
    Lliira's Everlasting Bottle of Levity (heard it was a noncombat pet like item)
    Founder's Title
    Robe of Useless Items (which will give you come coppers early in the game)

kimberix wrote: »
    Am I right in assuming that for us EU people, we get VAT charged on the Founder packs @ 20%

But for buying ZEN we don't?

Just wondered if that makes any difference to the value of the pack versus just buying ZEN - in effect, I can get $60 worth of ZEN by buying directly, but get charged a 20% overhead for anything in the packs.

However, I suppose it still boils down to early access which you can't put a price on.

as i understand it, you'll get charged VAT for Zen too. There was a post it should be searchable. Maybe not, worst is to click the buy zen and not enter any cc information.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • Options
    zagrim#6754 zagrim Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    stringse wrote: »
    Titles pretty much explains the thread, but I want to know should I buy the guardian pack or spend money on zen for in-game store?

If you didnt buy the Hero of the North pack after asking this question I would say spend it on Zen. Because you already get a mount and a companion. So what you would get out of the guardian pack is just another skin on a mount and another striker companion (not sure how they differ) and a ring that leaves a purple trail. The AD you can just trade for with the Zen you buy.

Just think of it like this, what is it that you want for your money?
  • Options
    manduchessmanduchess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 46
    edited April 2013
    You should definitely buy the pack not the Zen. The mounts and companions that come from the pack are rank 3... That is a huge cost in Zen...Plus you get 3 day early access. Definitely go with the pack over the Zen.
  • Options
    zagrim#6754 zagrim Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    manduchess wrote: »
    You should definitely buy the pack not the Zen. The mounts and companions that come from the pack are rank 3... That is a huge cost in Zen...Plus you get 3 day early access. Definitely go with the pack over the Zen.

He already have a rank 3 mount and rank 3 companion from the hero pack and he also have 5 days headstart for the same reason.
  • Options
    lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Based on the value of the items in the pack compared to store values (presuming nothing changes before launch), the pack has a value of 13,950 zen.

$60 in zen is 7,000-ish Zen.

Pack value derived from:

Mount (L3, account wide) 3500z
    Companion (store companions are 2500z x "n", where "n" represents number of characters on the account) = Base 7500z
    Starter pack (1000z)
    Astral Diamonds (600K, exchange rate at worst-case scenario, 500:1) 1200z
    Character slot (2 @ 500 = 1 @ 250) 250z
    Respec token (not sure if it covers feats + powers, etc.) 500z
    (skipping all the junk items or glowies, titles, etc.)
  • Options
    wesgarwesgar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think that folks are missing the point that he is a Hero of the North already, thus has many of the 'for value' items - so now, you'd have to re-do the math, to come up with if the things in the Guardian Pack are worth it, or if the 'Zen' is a better way to go.

The question was not very clear on that point, you actually have to look at his 'title' to figure that out, I certainly didn't see it, and would have been on board with the 'guardian pack' over the Zen bandwagon. Once I saw that he had Hero of the North, I changed my mind. I'd recommend going for raw Zen.

I was in the same situation, I have spent gobbs on Zen, but still have no 'Guardian' pack, I don't see the point of it, as having just the extra Zen, gives me much more flexibility.
    Thanks,

zWolf / Wesgar

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pion01pion01 Member Posts: 760 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Regardless of Hero of the North or not, the Guardian pack is still a better value for the astral diamonds, bags, items, helper loot, and companion that you don't have to pay for.

Unless there's something specific in the store that he wants, like the worg or honey badger or dyes or something, then item for item the guardian pack is still better.
  • Options
    colhatickcolhatick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I was debating HotN pack or GoN with $100+ of Zen and basically came to the conclusion that the packs offer a better value than the Zen. From the prices I saw on the Zen store, the packs give you way more for less money, especially once you make alts.
  • Options
    doogie74doogie74 Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    pion01 wrote: »
    Regardless of Hero of the North or not, the Guardian pack is still a better value for the astral diamonds, bags, items, helper loot, and companion that you don't have to pay for.

Unless there's something specific in the store that he wants, like the worg or honey badger or dyes or something, then item for item the guardian pack is still better.

The guardian pack doesn't come with a bag.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I purchased both packs. First I purchased HotN pack and after the first beta weekend I purchased the guardian pack. I did this because I can't picture all my toons riding the spider.
  • Options
    stringsestringse Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 63
    edited April 2013
    doogie74 wrote: »
    I purchased both packs. First I purchased HotN pack and after the first beta weekend I purchased the guardian pack. I did this because I can
    You're cool bro we get it!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    You're cool bro we get it!

there was more after the "because I can" I corrected it. For some reason the full text did not post.

I was trying to type "because I can't picture all of my toons riding the spider."
  • Options
    theevildrftheevildrf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    to OP: note that dire wolf and armoured horse is one per character on your account. forever. if you buy a fourth character slot you will get another wolf and horse. if you 86 one of your toons and start over, new toon gets horse and wolf. just something to consider.

if i were basing my decision on value to may account id get guardian and hold on to 40usd for zen. my two coppers.
    The Evil Dr. F
    Beta Junkie
    grimrod614 wrote: »
    Never leave home without a cleric !
    fss_overall.png
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    doogie74 wrote: »
    there was more after the "because I can" I corrected it. For some reason the full text did not post.

I was trying to type "because I can't picture all of my toons riding the spider."
    Oh haha my bad then!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    So re-calculated the change I can spend on this game and what I've decided to do is buy the guardians with $30 of zen. I already know this game is going to drain me lol!
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Guardian Pack, its $40 for a big mount on the Zen store and at least $20 for a companion

You get more from the guardian pack
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So re-calculated the change I can spend on this game and what I've decided to do is buy the guardians with $30 of zen. I already know this game is going to drain me lol!

good choice
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So much math. $60 is a tank of gas right? Perspective.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Oh haha my bad then!

Don't feel bad about it I read it and was like "that isn't what I typed wow that seems very horrible and was not my intention."
    I had typed it in word then copied and pasted over here and I must not have selected all of the text.

I am really sorry for how that posted sounded.
  • Options
    jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ALWAYS buy Zen when there is a BONUS, never buy w/o it.

This will save you from buying zen and the next day it's on sale with a 20% bonus. I've seen it (qq'ing in the forums because they didnt wait). I haven't done it.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • Options
    fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If you want the exclusive stuff then get the pack. If not, just buy the ZEN.
  • Options
    jogoskanindragonjogoskanindragon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 143 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    If youre not happy with your pack, give it to me and be happier then. :p
  • Options
    selonwselonw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 258
    edited April 2013
    I dont want a horse as my mount, or a warg as my companion, so ill prob go with zen
  • Options
    dantosdantos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 52
    edited April 2013
    If you already have the Hero of the North pack, then $60 zen, no question.
  • Options
    cerek2cerek2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 62
    edited April 2013
    I went with Zen over any of the packs.

The reason being is because I don't find any value in glowy items, forum titles, access to an empty room. I wasn't interested in being drow, I didn't need more character slots, the head start is useless (who cares !? who are you racing?) and beta access that I was able to obtain through the internet anyways. This is my opinion now.

Furthermore, a Rank 3 Horse Mount from the Zen store was $30. I don't know why people are throwing around higher numbers. If you want a different type of mount, fine, but the cheapest (and usually most practical) Rank 3 Mount was an Armored Horse for $30.

The Dire Wolf and Panther companion can be great and all. They can be purple and the darkest purple on the planet. It still won't change the fact that I absolutely loved using the Cleric companion. With that being said, the Zen Cleric sucks and the packs don't come with a Cleric. So I find no value in the companions that come with the packs. As established, you don't have use Zen or purchase the Pack to get a good companion. Their are just as favorable ones, IMO, in game. Especially if you agree with me that the Cleric is the way to go !

So, for my example, I spent $100 = 10,600 Zen (standard rates for this example).

3,000 Zen = Rank 3 mount
    2,000 Zen = 2 Big Bags (24 Slots)
    2,000 Zen = At 500 AD Exchange, will convert to 1 MILLION Diamonds.
    3,600 Zen = Left over for whatever you want !! rune wards, more bags, more AD, etc..

I am not saying the Packs are bad. I'm just stating that from my own opinion, which is a min/maxing standpoint, as it pertains to actual in-game benefits, I believe Zen to be the better value.
  • Options
    selonwselonw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 258
    edited April 2013
    Felt pretty much the same. You teleport to areas so i dont really need a mount other then looks, and i got the pcgamer horse so..

bags i dont know, you get bags while you progress and can buy some, so 1000z for 24 slot ones feels kinda meh.

Ill go for Ioun stone companion and maybe bankslots
  • Options
    darkstarmjpdarkstarmjp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I want to know what's going to be in the Moonstone VIP Lounge because with most MMO's it's usually not worth it. I hope they offer something special.