Easy fix to Drow "problem"

13»

Comments

• Options
    keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    thecain wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgLwfzBY_XM#t=0m30s

Official video about founder's packs, in BIG RED LETTERS, "EXCLUSIVE DROW COSTUME". It was posted almost a month ago.

Yes but that is not what was said in other places on the official Neverwinter site. It is a question of how it WAS worded not IS NOW worded.

Even now from the package details on this site right now:

Only Heroes of the North will receive exclusive access to the

MENZOBERRANZAN RENEGADE

a unique playable RACE armed with the "Faerie Fire" racial ability and tattoo cosmetic option. Like the legendary ranger Drizzt Do'Urden, explore the realm of Faer.....

Oh and your $20 wouldn't have gotten you into the beta. So unless you have access some other way you still would not be able to play in the beta for your $20.
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgLwfzBY_XM#t=0m30s

Official video about founder's packs, in BIG RED LETTERS, "EXCLUSIVE DROW COSTUME". It was posted almost a month ago.

The "unique playable race" line is in the actual product description linked from the actual page where you spend actual money to actually buy the actual product. That takes precedence over anything else because that is what you see when you buy it.
  • Options
    thecainthecain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    keirkin wrote: »
    Oh and your $20 wouldn't have gotten you into the beta. So unless you have access some other way you still would not be able to play in the beta for your $20.

I won a Beta Key from a contest.

What they should do is set up some way to get refunds for purchasers who thought that they were getting an exclusive RACE, and not a costume, for 2 reasons.

1: The Renegades are not a race, they are a costume. To be a race, they would need their own animations, taunts, voices, dances, be selectable on the race screen, etc. As it stands, it comes as a costume, IE, vanity item that you put on.

2: If it WAS about wording, you would never be allowed to have the Drow ever, since it says the race is EXCLUSIVE to Heroes of the North, and we've already seen big companies reselling "exclusives" in their shops, like my Warhammer Online Collector's Edition that had the books and figurine in it. They resold the books later for a heavily discounted price. It's a cash grab by PWE to try and get more $200 purchases, nothing more, nothing less.
  • Options
    heathenhammer9heathenhammer9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I won a Beta Key from a contest.

What they should do is set up some way to get refunds for purchasers who thought that they were getting an exclusive RACE, and not a costume, for 2 reasons.

1: The Renegades are not a race, they are a costume. To be a race, they would need their own animations, taunts, voices, dances, be selectable on the race screen, etc. As it stands, it comes as a costume, IE, vanity item that you put on.

2: If it WAS about wording, you would never be allowed to have the Drow ever, since it says the race is EXCLUSIVE to Heroes of the North, and we've already seen big companies reselling "exclusives" in their shops, like my Warhammer Online Collector's Edition that had the books and figurine in it. They resold the books later for a heavily discounted price. It's a cash grab by PWE to try and get more $200 purchases, nothing more, nothing less.

Everyone keeps saying "cash grab" like it's a bad thing. As long as they keep it free to play, I hope they continue to make "cash grabs" because that means we'll keep getting new content. When they stop making "cash grabs" that's when you have to worry, because it means the game is failing and they've just given up.

I tend to agree with silvergryph, anyone that is doomsaying and threatening to not play over not having access to Drow for 60 days probably wouldn't be around long anyway. While personally I don't care if they have Drow for everyone at launch (one of the reasons I posted the "easy fix") I can understand some people who forked over $200 wanting some exclusiveness. $200 is the equivalent of purchasing a modern MMO, and supporting the monthly fees associated with it for a year. So basically, every Hero of the North is paying for a year of a standard-priced MMO, and chances are they (I know I will) will be using the cash shop also, further supporting the game. This can also be applied to the Guardian pack, which I'd like to see have access at launch as well.

Those of us who are willing to spend money like this, both Heros and Guardians, are one of the reasons the game can be completely free to play. I understand 60 days may seem like a long time for a lot of you, but it really isn't...just deal with it, this is a game you never have to spend money on. Sure they could have handled it better, but all of the doomsaying and threats aren't going to change anything, it just makes you look pathetic. :p
  • Options
    thecainthecain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Everyone keeps saying "cash grab" like it's a bad thing. As long as they keep it free to play, I hope they continue to make "cash grabs" because that means we'll keep getting new content. When they stop making "cash grabs" that's when you have to worry, because it means the game is failing and they've just given up.

Yeah. You say that until they rip out something you enjoy, or make the game Pay-To-Win. Remember buying resistances in the Perfect World game? Maybe they'll cut out +5 weapons and make you buy the crafting materials for them from the shop. Fact of the matter is, you'd be screaming and whining if they suddenly released something that you couldn't have without throwing a ton of money at them. You're a Hero afterall, you think you're going to get the complete package, and that we should all suck it up and throw hundreds of dollars at them because you like the game...

... Until you try it, get bored of it once you blow through the content in a week or two, pout and whine that you didn't get your money's worth, then scramble off to the next game to troll and throw your money at. Here's the fact of the matter. You've already paid into them. The rest of us have not, and is extra money they COULD be making. Trying to hurt users before the game even comes out is effecting both payers and non-payers, and is NOT establishing trust with the player base.

So please, take this "Oh shut up and pay you lowly peons!" attitude right out the door.
  • Options
    heathenhammer9heathenhammer9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Yeah. You say that until they rip out something you enjoy, or make the game Pay-To-Win. Remember buying resistances in the Perfect World game? Maybe they'll cut out +5 weapons and make you buy the crafting materials for them from the shop. Fact of the matter is, you'd be screaming and whining if they suddenly released something that you couldn't have without throwing a ton of money at them. You're a Hero afterall, you think you're going to get the complete package, and that we should all suck it up and throw hundreds of dollars at them because you like the game...

... Until you try it, get bored of it once you blow through the content in a week or two, pout and whine that you didn't get your money's worth, then scramble off to the next game to troll and throw your money at. Here's the fact of the matter. You've already paid into them. The rest of us have not, and is extra money they COULD be making. Trying to hurt users before the game even comes out is effecting both payers and non-payers, and is NOT establishing trust with the player base.

So please, take this "Oh shut up and pay you lowly peons!" attitude right out the door.

Yes, I paid them, because I believe in supporting products that I like, that's generally how you ensure they stay in business and/or keep supplying you *insert product here*.

The game is still months from release. If I was one of the people who didn't have the Hero pack and REALLY wanted to play a Drow but lacked any type of self-control and patience to wait 60 days, then I'd find a way to make the $200 between now and release instead of complaining and moaning about it in the forums. I know actually earning something is a foreign concept today...
  • Options
    xaralleixarallei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Are they going to have some form of race change token for a reasonable price in the cash shop? Just wondering if it will be viable to roll whatever and launch and race change later...
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    xarallei wrote: »
    Are they going to have some form of race change token for a reasonable price in the cash shop? Just wondering if it will be viable to roll whatever and launch and race change later...

Now that is a great idea. I can't imagine why they wouldn't.
  • Options
    melanderimelanderi Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users, Silverstars Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Alright ladies and gents, I'm stepping in. I understand that this is a very heated topic, and discussion about this is great!

HOWEVER- there is no place on our forums for attacking each other. If you disagree, do so respectfully. If you feel a post has violated our Rules of Conduct, report it- do not reply to it.

Please keep your discussions on topic, and constructive! Remember- the adventurers you meet here today are the ones that will have your back in battle.

Now- let's redirect this a bit. The Original Post was about Drow and Dark Elves. What differences between Drow and Dark elves would you want to see? How would having the option to play a Dark Elf change your RP style?

(Disclaimer- I am redirecting discussion, not hinting at future content. You'll have to get up pretty early in the morning to get a slip like that out of me!)
    Pixilated Community Entity
    @Effreet in game
    Terms of Service and Rules of Conduct. Learn them, Love them
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    They could call it a Scroll of Reincarnation.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Does anyone remember from the first Beta weekend if there was a dark brown option for Elf skin in the character creator?
  • Options
    xaralleixarallei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Now that is a great idea. I can't imagine why they wouldn't.

If I knew for sure that there would be a race change token available in the shop at launch (or at least by the time drow unlock), then I'd be willing to put up with rolling and leveling a normal elf cleric in the meantime. I just want to be able to start playing my main at launch and that would enable me to do so.
  • Options
    shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Does anyone remember from the first Beta weekend if there was a dark brown option for Elf skin in the character creator?
    Forgive the not good enough quality of the pic:
    28vd4yq.png
  • Options
    keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    shiaika wrote: »
    Forgive the not good enough quality of the pic:
    28vd4yq.png

Nice pic, but I fear it will not be dark enough to quell the masses.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Thanks shiaika!

Racial abilities in MMORPGS usually become so mariginalized so quickly that the skin tone might be enough for roleplayers. Heck, it shouldn't be too hard to add a "Dark Elf" backround origin to the Elf race. It's just a block of text and a dropdown item.
  • Options
    ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Thanks shiaika!

Racial abilities in MMORPGS usually become so mariginalized so quickly that the skin tone might be enough for roleplayers. Heck, it shouldn't be too hard to add a "Dark Elf" backround origin to the Elf race. It's just a block of text and a dropdown item.

Actually. I thought, and may be completely wrong, that all elves were considered the same in 4e and only wild and wood elves were seperate? Still the same racials though. If they darkened the brown to an almost black they'd have a very legitimate dark elf. It would follow better for the lore of some people wanting to play Ellistraee's follower, since they were turned into dark elfs.
  • Options
    razorlanrazorlan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am not one of the ones that purchased the founder's pack, nor did I have any plans to do so, simply because that is a lot of money for someone with a family to support. Would I like the chance to play a dark elf? Sure, I would. I always play elves or drow. I had resigned myself to the fact that I would have to stick to elves, though, because I read the description the same as many others. $200 is a lot of money, and I thought it perfectly fair that the folks who spent that much should get some real bang for their bucks. If you were going to place both drow and dark elves in the game, though, I would go completely classic for the drow, such as faerie fire, limited levitate, and infra-vision. I would also give them bonuses for doing anything indoors or underground, and negatives for daylight above ground. The dark elves should have hair and eyes more like standard elves, and skin a few shades lighter than drow while still being dark. They also should have a separate set of stats from drow. As far as sheer role playing is concerned, I never did manage to play a drow like a drow ought to be played. My drow always turned out like rogueish normal elves. So, for me, dark elves as opposed to drow would work out just about perfect with my playing style.
  • Options
    ivca115ivca115 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    arythor wrote: »
    The simplest solution is to just sell the Drow race in the store from day one for something in the neighbourhood of $20, then make it free 60 days later. That way everyone still gets it eventually, but those who really feel it is needed right away can purchase it. $20 is not a whole lot given it is optional and patience would have seen it be free. It also fills the coffers a bit, though perhaps Cryptic is counting on this selling enough $200 Heroes of the North packs to have that be the superior revenue generator. At $200 they only need to sell 1/10 as many as they would Drow race unlocks priced at $20.

Personally, I really do not care even if it were free from day one, and I plunked down $200. I will be able to make Drow but will not, because I am not a fan of them, but even if I were I doubt I would care that others could make one freely. I got the Hero of the North pack for the whole thing and to support the game, not so I could flaunt being a Drow.

However, if the Drow race was free then some Heroes of the North would be upset because their precious exclusive is not exclusive, so Cryptic is in a bit of an unwinnable situation. Granted, they put themselves there by communicating the availability of the Drow race and the benefits of the various packages so poorly to begin with.

In short, the whole thing is a bit of a mess; Cryptic handled it poorly, but player reaction has been a bit insane, too. To satisfy Heroes of the North, Cryptic's need to generate revenue, and Drow fanatics, pricing the race at a fair value seems like the best solution. Keep in mind, the Menzoberranzan background will still always be exclusive to Heroes of the North, so they always have that to show off.
    paying for a race is plain <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> if you ask me. i understand that they have to earn for living but there are other ways to get money from people like some cool skins for you character or exclusive mounts that can be purchasd only with real money etc. you cant charge for a race, the stupidity of that is as big as Mount Everest
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited April 2013
    ivca115 wrote: »
    you cant charge for a race, the stupidity of that is as big as Mount Everest

Why? It seems like a completely reasonable thing to charge for. It has essentially a cosmetic effect on play, there is nothing any one race can do that other races can't do something functionally equivalent. If the reasons are as obvious as you say, you shouldn't have any trouble explaining them.
  • Options
    aurelploufaurelplouf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 36
    edited April 2013
    I think the dark elves idea is good.

I wanted to try out a Drow upon Open beta release, but I guess I will have to wait...

otherwise a Penguin assassin/rogue with +2 bluff, +2 diplomacy, extra swim speed would of been great ;)