test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

is an archer class even possible?

libertine17libertine17 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
With the way the game is designed (with two at-will attacks, three encounter attacks, and 2 daily attacks) is it even possible to have an archer class? Splitting up ranged and melee attacks with only those few options to use them would be very restrictive unless you allow archers to shoot while in melee.

In addition, no other class can change weapons, they are limited to one mode of combat. I can see why no archer class is in the game currently.

Has any dev ever discussed these issues? I love playing archer classes but I am beginning to think it may not happen.
Post edited by libertine17 on

Comments

• Options
    dukevaungurdukevaungur Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There's one in the making. Archer Ranger. It's in the game files. :)
  • Options
    libertine17libertine17 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Is there any indication on how it will work?
  • Options
    roninthehoodroninthehood Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 184 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    the bow wielding ranger is in game. set to be playable soon after openbeta starts. no day yet just soon.It has been stated that it will not switch weapons but use the bow only.
  • Options
    galthisgalthis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It will be similar to archer in Tera I imagine. Just a bow at all ranges. I'm hoping for an elemental type build. A fire arrow skill for DOT. Cold arrow for slows/roots, maybe one multi arrow encounter for a bit of AOE. I tried to think what the Tab function would be, since its a striker maybe its just some burst DPS. Maybe a sliver of stealth in there? I'm thinking CW with a bow, more DPS, less control.
  • Options
    argantisargantis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am not sure how they will implement the build in NWO, but if you want to get an idea of how a 4E bow ranger may work, here you go.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19645334/The_Ranger_Handbook_How_to_strike_them_where_it_hurts
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Weapon switches likely will not occur :p

If you are an Archer you will be an archer indefinitely. There are plenty of Archer-Based encounters and at-wills to make it possible.

This is purely my personal opinion on the subject.
    Moved to NW Discussion
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited April 2013
    If it were me, I would make their Tab ability switch their at-wills to two weapon fighting, much like the cleric's Tab ability switches their At-Wills.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Works for me but I then could see the forums spammed with requests to make that a feature on every class, haha.
  • Options
    braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    galthis wrote: »
    It will be similar to archer in Tera I imagine. Just a bow at all ranges.

I've been playing TERA while waiting for Neverwinter and I concur ---- it's entirely possible to make a very fun class with only the bow. Mind you, the archer in Tera DOES have some melee attacks (well, one so far) including a neat spinning kick that stuns a foe in melee (to give you time to get away).

I'm going to have to resist the temptation to fill all my available character slots, so I have room left for an archer (hopefully we won't have TOO long to wait).
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Oh man it would almost be too much to ask to have powerful single target DPS and a nice AOE knockback. But bring it on!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I've never cared for archers being able to shoot while in melee, but if that is the way it is then I'll go with it. After all, Legolas did it in the movie.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I totally agree with you, much prefer the DDO way. Its more fun to be able to collect/use bows, swords, rapiers etc. However, it is what it is, and the archer in Tera is pretty fun, and this one could be moreso if they allow you to stay at range and still do max damage. Tera made you fight near melee range to do max damage, and had short max range for any damage, but it was same single weapon archtype, reticule aiming etc.
  • Options
    fanfusuzi1fanfusuzi1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    WOW, It's Amazing
  • Options
    kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited April 2013
    TBH they could add a melee ranged weapon attack like the rogue got throwing knives (you throw knives even if you haven't got an knives/dagger equipped).
  • Options
    kieshenkieshen Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I so hate how the masses have pigeon holed ranger into archer. :(
  • Options
    rosemeliarosemelia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well this is just how i would make the archer for a game like this well actually 2 ideas. Like alot of films archers actually use the bow to fight and fend of enemies, and using arrows like daggers, so i would say for melee they have maybe 1 attack that uses the bow and creates a little space between them and their target. (though i would say the archer would be the one to jump back instead of knocking them back). second melee be something related to the arrow(dagger). (maybe spins the bow crating like a fan wind effect).

The second thing would be like the rouge has the thing where if they go invisible their skills are slightly different maybe the archer has something like that. This might be more likely. They could maybe add an element that archers can have banes tipped arrows, like if you know your going to fight a warewolf, wolf bane arrow. (just an idea)>

personally i would love to play an archer for beta their normally my fav class.
  • Options
    viledeeds77#8676 viledeeds77 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I could totally see an archer using his bow like a quarterstaff in up close combat, or jabbing someone with an arrow clutched in their hand.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    need moar Montolio
  • Options
    digu21digu21 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
    edited April 2013
    Never tried Tera, but an Archer on Neverwinter will be cool with the combat system!
    15.jpg
  • Options
    rosemeliarosemelia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i should so send my idea to the creators
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited April 2013
    Here's something Cryptic has done in the past in this regard:

In STO you can be armed with a phaser, but if somebody is within melee range, every character can hit them with a palm strike (if armed with a pistol) or a rifle butt (if armed with a rifle). Additionally, there are powers that cause you to perform a similar melee strike.

They could simply make it so that if your target is too close for an arrow, you kick him. No need to switch weapons at all.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited April 2013
    rosemelia wrote: »
    i should so send my idea to the creators

You just did; these are official forums, they read them. :)
  • Options
    xristopherrobinxristopherrobin Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Why would the archer need melee attacks? The wizard doesn't, it's entirely ranged. Do you know the difference between magic missile and a bow/arrow? Mostly the animation.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Why would the archer need melee attacks? The wizard doesn't, it's entirely ranged. Do you know the difference between magic missile and a bow/arrow? Mostly the animation.

Because in all flavours of D&D if you try to use a missile weapon adjacent to someone trying to hit you in melee they get an a free attack on you. I hadn't realized that rule had gone by the wayside in NWO.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Because in all flavours of D&D if you try to use a missile weapon adjacent to someone trying to hit you in melee they get an a free attack on you. I hadn't realized that rule had gone by the wayside in NWO.

"All flavors" is not correct. Up until 2nd Edition AD&D, there were no rules regarding such attacks. 2e added rules for moving out of melee, but you could go up to half your speed without provoking an attack, and there were no rules regarding missile weapons, just fleeing from melee.

Attacks of opportunity for using a missile weapon weren't added until 3e, which means D&D existed without this rule for almost exactly twice as long as it's had it.

However, it hasn't exactly "gone by the wayside", since this combat is not turn-based, and the animations are rooted; if you're standing there using ranged attacks, you aren't moving out of melee range, and melee attacks tend to do more damage than ranged attacks, for balance reasons.

Attacks of opportunity are a relic of turn-based combat; they're not really a meaningful concept here.
  • Options
    bejita231bejita231 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    They can just do with archers what they did to clerics, nerf their healing so bad nobody ever uses healing anymore, just do that for melee attacks

Problem solved?
  • Options
    crypt0kn1ghtcrypt0kn1ght Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'll be interested in seeing how this works out.
  • Options
    tttsssrrr1tttsssrrr1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is the biggest weakness of this game; it's basically fantasy Champions Online without the free-form option. Archer character with a sword for melee? Cleric who swings a mace? (That will be the paladin. Yes, I know.) Now, fantasy Champions Online isn't a bad starting point for a game; but they really took the path of least resistance with it. I feel that the restrictions of the Dungeons and Dragons license outweighs the name recognition that it otherwise provides.

I don't think character creation on rails is the way to go. It's going to be a challenge to make the various ranged classes feel different enough from each other to get people interested in playing multiple ones. In CO, they did various things, such as playing off of bleeds or dodges- will that translate well enough when all the other options and choices are take out of the equation? It will be interesting to see what they learned from CO and how it translates into NW.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

because that is stupid and un realistic, archers have always generally have melee attacks its kinda part of being an archer. like see u name me one archer hero who doesn't also use melee. or even real life history. (archers had short sword with them).

wizards are different, their powers would have no logical reason not 2 work in close combat. like obv ur be able to say something .. blah blah. but like an archer is about precision. example in a fps a sniper will swap to a pistal (normally) in close combat.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    rosemelia wrote: »
    because that is stupid and un realistic,

Woah, woah, woah. Better gear down there, big shifter.

You're talking about a game with orcs, wizards, magical undead dracoliches, etc, etc...So someone can conjure a missile made out or pure magic from their hand, but yet, you have a beef with archer's being able to fire a bow at point blank range.

Hell, shooting someone with a longbow at close range is likely to send an arrow straight through them.

Guys, it's freaking Dungeon and Dragons! The game is inherently based on the unrealistic. It's call fantasy, which is essentially the exact opposite of realism.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1