test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Voice-Over important to you?

zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I remember from EQ2, where there was massive voiceover in the game. Nearly any quest had a custom actor talking.
Now? There are a few selected 'old' NPC and questgivers (like Zazaa the Retonga woman) who kept their voiceover, new zones have no voice whatsoever.

I heard Lucan D'Lere talking to the crowd during an execution in Freeport (Christopher Lee and awesome).

In the beginning there is so much voiceover in Neverwinter and I love the voice of certain characters. Keep up the good work! Every time I notice voiceover, I let the NPC finish before I move on....
Post edited by zagemogga on

Comments

• Options
    jezathforumjezathforum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Same, its not wasted effort on the dev part thats for sure! Love the voice overs atm and hope for more of them in later zones.

I thought it was just because of beta and they wanted to make the file smaller that we dident have voice overs in later zones.

Also I thought it was a bug but alot of cutscenes for vbosses etc are eerily silent

enjin-393296-13641734601093802493-gray.png
    "There are two things that drive technology forward in a huge leap in this world, one is war and one is business..."-- Timothy Wade 2012
    "If you wish to join a guild, that will be running a guild foundry RP campaign then come take a look at [BLOOD]"
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    It great for the first time through but get olds quick, SWTOR is a prime example. At least we don't have to deal with cutscenes. I would like to see some actual voiceover work in the dungeons and not just at NPC questgivers. Quests are a bit lacking imo. DDO is the opposite which I much prefer, they utilized DM narration in the quest which adds to the immersion of the game imo.
  • Options
    llelowyn13llelowyn13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That kid from the tutorial sounds like Yakko to me. Wouldn't surprise me if Rob Paulsen lent his voice to this game.
    "A True Friend Stabs You in the Front."
    ~Oscar Wilde~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Look at what the Great Weapon Fighter can do, he's so OP!"
    ~Andy Velasquez~
  • Options
    libertine17libertine17 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I really enjoyed the VO in SWTOR and would prefer to have it in any games I play from now on, it adds a lot of characterization that pure text cannot match.
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I love voice-over in "story" quests, as it adds emotion and depth to the story. But for you basic kill 10 rats quests, I can do without.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    I personally love voice-overs and would love them to be expanded into every single official quest.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Voice-overs are extremely important to me in any RPG, especially an MMORPG. It adds so much to the immersion, when done right and with good voice actors. We live in a day and age where one can control their computer with their voice. No longer are we users of a text & image only internet. Our games should follow suit and appeal to us not only on a visual, ambient and musical level but also on a voice level as well.
  • Options
    philbe63philbe63 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I enjoyed the voice-overs in Neverwinter but I also enjoyed the fact that I could simply cut them off if I wanted. There's something satisfying by just getting to say (figuratively) 'Ahhhhh Shaddup!'

Now what I really loved was the music. The music in the game is awesome.
  • Options
    dollahzdollahz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I generally hate reading quests, So it is nice to have the NPC read the quest out loud while running to the kill area. I just wish it didn't cut off after u get a certain distance away. Would be nice to have that option.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    There is a command to turn off the NPC Voice-Overs on command but I agree it should be distance based.

Like you I don't mind hearing it but if I am a mile away it's about time for it to quiet down haha.
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    yeah, hearing the voice as I actually begin the quest is really cool
  • Options
    zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It great for the first time through but get olds quick, SWTOR is a prime example. At least we don't have to deal with cutscenes. I would like to see some actual voiceover work in the dungeons and not just at NPC questgivers. Quests are a bit lacking imo. DDO is the opposite which I much prefer, they utilized DM narration in the quest which adds to the immersion of the game imo.

Why not have both?
    They don't need to be all professional actors, I remember games where NPC had names of developers. They could use developers for voice overs as well :)

The only disadvantage is the size of the client. Every video/audio cannot be easily compressed and the quest needs to be set in stone and finished before voice over is implemented.
    If the quest would change later on, the voice over wouldn't fit any more and they would need to remove it or update the audio with the new quest.
  • Options
    ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Not that fond of voice overs, mostly because it doesn't scale well. In other words, if you insist all major quests/content have customer voice over work, it tends to make the development of new content costly and time consuming. See SWTOR for a game that is just too expensive to keep updated with vibrant content and when it is updated costs EA a small fortune.

I think the trend in games is to customize the experience and make it as unique as possible. That the days of everyone playing "Captain ePeen" with the same voice, with everyone running the same "epic" story line are slowly fading.

If SWTOR taught us anything it is that giant, epic, single-story MMOs are too expensive, that fans rip through the content as fast as possible (see my earlier comments about nerd culture hating tension) and then complain for more. It doesn't scale, it's old-school design and I think, the best video games in the years ahead will break the mold and embrace new exciting ways to bring us very unique, custom experiences.

I don't want to live out some vision and voice of an actor and a writer. I want to create my own way.

RPers have known this secret for decades and only now do I think does the gaming industry realize that there's a deep appetite for it.
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited April 2013
    zagemogga wrote: »
    They could use developers for voice overs as well :)

They've already said that some of the voices are in fact done by developers, which I think is kinda cool :)

Anyways VO isn't really important to me at all (I just end up muting them) but they're important enough to a large enough demographic that I can see why they chose to implement them. Not like they really bother me either.
  • Options
    zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I prefer it too having to read the text, but I wouldn't let it decide if I played a game or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    unah1unah1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    In all seriousness though, I love the voiceovers.... just not the very first one that sounds like Brian Blessed >_>
    ~~~~~Maeve Trinity :: Una Shinkicker~~~~~
    Grievance
    LiveStreaming (almost) Daily!
  • Options
    baka777baka777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think VO's are better served in single-player games. I'm not against VO's, but I don't think the development time/cost is necessarily worth it (see: SWTOR's budget). If you can add them quickly & cheaply, then fine. If not, then don't bother & deploy your resources on improving/polishing game systems. Many players skip though VO work as fast as they can, in an effort to level more efficiently (especially when repeating content).
  • Options
    jezathforumjezathforum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree with the ddo comment that the DM voice over really added to immersion :D

enjin-393296-13641734601093802493-gray.png
    "There are two things that drive technology forward in a huge leap in this world, one is war and one is business..."-- Timothy Wade 2012
    "If you wish to join a guild, that will be running a guild foundry RP campaign then come take a look at [BLOOD]"
  • Options
    reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    voice and music and sound set the tone the atmosphere and the FEELING there needs to be much more of it i would gladly download 12 gig client update if it had those 3 in it
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007