Q2 Release Date

Comments

• Options
    ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    trickshaw wrote: »
    This was covered earlier.

PWE's Q2 = April-June

Nope, the point about how a quarter can start at just about any point for a corporation was not made, also the clear distinction that often you can talk about calendar quarters rather than business quarters also not made.

Also you jumped the gun, I added further points, not already covered.

You're too fast on the draw skeered!
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!
  • Options
    trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ryger5 wrote: »
    Nope...

Apologies. There seems to be some confusion so allow me to clarify.

PWE's financial quarters (10-Qs) and financial year (10-K) follow the fiscal year. This is fact and not open for debate or speculation. Any information regarding business quarters and/or practices of companies outside of PWE, in regards to this thread, is superfluous.

That is all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Yeah because publishers soooo know the state of the game.

Unless it comes from a dev all dates are placeholders imo.... hellllooo SWTOR anyone?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Yeah because publishers soooo know the state of the game.

Unless it comes from a dev all dates are placeholders imo.... hellllooo SWTOR anyone?

SWTOR released in the exact quarter that was stated at the quarterly investors meeting prior to launch. Up until then Riccitiello stated "shooting for", "estimated" or other hazy verbage. When it's explicitly stated that 'X' will launch in 'Y' quarter that's actionable as far as the federal government is concerned since share holders and investors alike use these meetings for investment purposes.

If the company in question does not deliver said product in said time frame they are liable and civil suits will arise whether actual damages occur or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lsyalsya Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's standard practice in business to use FY as the designator for a fiscal year date. Ie...FY2014 (fiscal year 2014, whichs starts in June where I work).

If it's not specified, then the calendar year is assumed. Saying something is going to be released in Q2 2013 means the April-June time frame of the calendar year 2013. Otherwise it would be Q2 FY20XX if it was a fiscal year that did not start Jan 1.
    L'sya Raiya
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    SWTOR released in the exact quarter that was stated at the quarterly investors meeting prior to launch.

Yeah, but the game was already what, 2 years late at that point?
    If the company in question does not deliver said product in said time frame they are liable and civil suits will arise whether actual damages occur or not.

Naaaah, rare you see shareholders sue over anything but outright fraud or abuse of funds, or large, radical decisions made without shareholder approval.

Companies "promise" things to happen on dates and are late all the time, without lawsuits. These things happen in business all the time. It doesn't make shareholders happy, but it isn't something you launch a lawsuit over, because there's no illegality at all. Saying "we hope to launch at Q2", and then not being able to launch until Q3 is no basis at all for a lawsuit. You could sue if you wanted I guess, but you'd be laughed out of court.
    BalarSig103B.jpg
  • Options
    bubbabinskybubbabinsky Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 161 Community Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Well, of course it will be released April 1st! Or was there something else on that day? I don't remember.
  • Options
    surixurientsurixurient Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My guess is there will be no more betas, the game will simply launch. A GM in game hinted at that saying something like "you assume there will be another beta at all" when someone asked him when the next beta was.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, but the game was already what, 2 years late at that point?

Define "late".

No commitment was ever made prior to said quarterly earnings call. This is called a "forward looking statement" when it comes to quarterly conference calls. These statements are protected provided the issuer uses language which denotes "possibility". In other words, "SWTOR may release...", "We're anticipating SWTOR will release..." or "We expect SWTOR to release...".

When you use this kind of language it offers protection against liability for earnings loss on the behalf of investors who make investment calls because of the issued statement. HOWEVER, and this is a big however, it is not full-proof protection. One of the most famous cases regarding a forward looking statement was Asher v. Baxter International. Where the court set precedent and ruled in favor of the plaintiff. Summarily the suit was dismissed later but that was because of the botched handling of the class action suit. In-fighting over who was the legal representative of the class action etc. etc. Regardless the precedent was set which is why currently it's advised to use SPECIFIC language when it comes to forward looking statements thanks to the ruling of Judge Easterbrook.

Every modern day quarterly earnings call starts off with disclaimers designed to protect the company and it's issuers but these disclaimers offer only so much protection. When the facilitator explicitly states,

"So the Neverwinter will be launched in Q2 and Saint Seiya and Swordsman Online would be launched mid-year this year." - Robert Xiao; SVP of PWE

That is a statement which specifically identifies a meaningful corresponding risk factor. I.E. Actionable.
    Naaaah, rare you see shareholders sue over anything but outright fraud or abuse of funds, or large, radical decisions made without shareholder approval.

With all due respect, what country are you living in?

It's clearly not the U-S-of-A because litigation happens here at the drop of a hat. Shareholders file suit all the time with or without proof pending. Hell, FB is still tied up over "lack of information" regarding the IPO fizzle. Apple, just last month, was injunctioned for basically "hoarding cash"; said suit was later dropped.

How much media coverage any given litigation receives is subject to how large a company is but that does not mean our civil courts aren't completely bogged down by the sheer mass of filed suits.

Suits are constantly filed for varying reasons. Some popular reasons are incomplete or misleading disclosures and claimed breaches of the directors’ fiduciary duties just to name a couple. We're not talking about derivative lawsuits and the suits that follow in their wake. It's because of how frequent these lawsuits are that specialized firms are springing up whose sole purpose is to offer council on proxy disclosures and walking directors through these meetings with the least amount of collateral damage possible.
    Saying "we hope to launch at Q2", and then not being able to launch until Q3 is no basis at all for a lawsuit.

I whole heartedly agree. Unfortunately that was not the verbiage used. If it were I would not be posting on this topic because that would be idiotic. Look, I'm not saying PWE is going to get sued or that they won't get sued. I'm not a magic 8 ball. I am, however, not naive enough to say that it will or will not happen nor am I naive enough to say that is has not nor will ever happen in these United States.

It has happened.

It is happening.

It will happen again.

Even when companies fulfill their Duty to Update or publicly disclaim a Duty to Update they still get sued. We live in a country where bloggers get sued for comments other users are posting on their blogs. Yes, comments the blogger never actually made. They can, have and will get sued for that. A country where employers are being sued for what employees say on facebook. A country where you can be sued for posting a bad review on Angie's List depending on the wording you use. Or a review you posted on Yelp, Facebook or any other form of social media/review. A country where Wikipedia can be sued if a user decides to edit Tom Cruise's wiki-page in a fashion that questions his sexuality. A country where I can sue Cryptic/PWE if one of their moderator's uses my real name in a post.

And you think that PWE can't or won't be sued for a statement they made at a quarterly earnings call?

Edited: Spellcheck & various corrections.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    As they have told us before "Everything is subject to change" remember that. We had deadlines before that were torn up and tossed in the trash before being covered with gas and burned they were so far off from what it will actually be
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bluesteel8bluesteel8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My guess is there will be no more betas, the game will simply launch. A GM in game hinted at that saying something like "you assume there will be another beta at all" when someone asked him when the next beta was.

I'll go with the CEO of the company mentioning to expect a CB4 then possibly an open Beta over a GM.
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
    The Older Gamers (25+) - Never too old to play games
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    As they have told us before "Everything is subject to change" remember that. We had deadlines before that were torn up and tossed in the trash before being covered with gas and burned they were so far off from what it will actually be

Internal deadlines and forum posts are not legally actionable statements made during quarterly financial reports.

This is akin to comparing your mother saying dinner will be at 7, burning the pot roast and being forced to order pizza and Mark Fuhrman committing perjury.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ayutardaayutarda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think its going to sometime in april , I don't think there will be another beta well closed beta anyway the founders pack said all three beta weekends and they are done if they wanted to do more betas it would have said access to all beta events , so I think closed beta is done they may have a open beta weekend but I imagine that will be very close to release so open beta weekend then headstart for 5 days, then the 3 days peeps then on that Friday or weekend release the game fully.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    BANK IT: This game releases in May. My guess is, first or second week of May.

I also believe they are going to let us play one more time before release, probably in April sometime. It will probably be a completely open beta to all who may wish to try the game before the actual release.
    BalarSig103B.jpg
  • Options
    nikadaemusnikadaemus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Well if they keep the same time tables ... they will let us test another build in a week. Then a week to evaluate and see if they need another, or jump to OB

Would help to know the state of the CB build, as to how close they are getting.
  • Options
    fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Still pretty bad to release in early may. It's right after the swtor expansion and right before the sto expansion.. yeah really bad month to release in. And it's right after Defiance aswell.. 3 major games all competing with players.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Really bad launch month if they go with may. Right after the swtor expansion (april 14th), so people that play that game won't be that willing to try out neverwinter, and people might go back and try out swtor before even looking at neverwinter. Then we have the sto expansion that releases in may 21st, people that play that game will also not be as willing to tryout neverwinter, and people that want to tryout romulans and the improved klingon faction will pick that game over neverwinter aswell.. Oh and we can't forget Defiance which will release april 2nd, so yeah.. 3 competing games, nice month to release a product.
  • Options
    xphantasmxxphantasmx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I have participated in many betas and game launches , from what i saw these last 2 beta weekends, the game seems to be running smoothly in most aspects.
    Yes ofcourse there is alot to still do , but if Neverwinter where to launch within the next 2 weeks , it would certainly not be any different to so many other games that have launched in worse conditions.
    Class balancing , tweaks and patching are the day to day of online gaming, lets hope they launch early April :) .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    x0y1x0y1 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    seraphimdo wrote: »
    Paying for a 5 day head start for open beta is kind of an official standing.

Yeah points to http://www.twitch.tv/perfectworldeu/b/383488805 (german) ~27:30 & ~1:09:00

So Closed Beta->Wipe->HotN Headstart->Guardian Headstart->Open Beta (NO Wipe!)->Release

More news at 8pm cet: http://de.esl.tv/schedule/4628/
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    But, but I'm not german :S well if they say something I guess you germans will keep us informed :D

Edit: Cute german chick
  • Options
    incisusincisus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Seriously, I just saw a video on Neverwinter 3 days ago, and I'm hooked from what I've seen. I seriously cannot wait, I have no idea how to pass the time.

Just like everyone else who is a D&D fan...

Play some PnP, study some lore, buy some source material, play some other[cough]mmo's, eat, drink and be merry and all that other jazz!!

I guess I'll start reading some lore. I'm a huge Warcraft fan, I've read the books for years & have played since 2004. Sadly the franchise has run it's course, hopefully this game can be my new every day MMO.
  • Options
    vandelay2vandelay2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If this were subscription-based MMO there would be another beta weekend. Given that it's free-to-play, they will likely release in several weeks. It is certainly acceptable (and palatable) to release a slightly flawed but enjoyable free-to-play MMO.
  • Options
    elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Companies "promise" things to happen on dates and are late all the time, without lawsuits. These things happen in business all the time. It doesn't make shareholders happy, but it isn't something you launch a lawsuit over, because there's no illegality at all. Saying "we hope to launch at Q2", and then not being able to launch until Q3 is no basis at all for a lawsuit. You could sue if you wanted I guess, but you'd be laughed out of court.
    Maybe. However 95% sure it will be Q2 April-June. We will also have Neverwinter Open Beta before that though Open Beta might be short.

Open Beta which has NOT been announced when it will begin except that there will be Open Beta likely pushes release to end of May or to June month. That would be my best estimation. Yes 5 % procent chance they might chance plans to release to Q3 or later.
    fotzik wrote: »
    Really bad launch month if they go with may. Right after the swtor expansion (april 14th), so people that play that game won't be that willing to try out neverwinter, and people might go back and try out swtor before even looking at neverwinter. Then we have the sto expansion that releases in may 21st, people that play that game will also not be as willing to tryout neverwinter, and people that want to tryout romulans and the improved klingon faction will pick that game over neverwinter aswell.. Oh and we can't forget Defiance which will release april 2nd, so yeah.. 3 competing games, nice month to release a product.
    Really bad release date is subjective taste. SWTOR? Sorry don't care about that though I don't mean no offense to SWTOR game or Starwars fans. WOW which I enjoyed had over 12 million players during top peak during year 2010 which is still unbroken record of active players. WOW is even today multiple times more popular then SWTOR. Now if WOW would have an expansion pack in Q2 then that would be bad timing.

I do not want to play computer games between midsummer-end of July! During that time I enjoy summer and bikini girls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMigfitM7FE

Ok I might do some exceptions, but during time I am abroad in south Europe on holiday I don't care about computer games lol. That said I will not be a troll if release is at end of June or July. Think positively if that would happen I can enjoy it more in August. I am bored at winter and when I look out from the window there is still lots of snow!
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited March 2013
    daytonamax wrote: »
    Three Things I KNOW About Cryptic Studios:

1. "Starfleet and Klingon. Yeah. So two factions, full PvE content." - Jack Emmert, CEO Cryptic Studios, Gen Con August 10th, 2008

Which also happens in May. :)
  • Options
    pacmanlawyerpacmanlawyer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Perfect World is based in China. The Chinese fiscal year follows the calendar year. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiscal_year

Mystery = Solved
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    incisus wrote: »
    I guess I'll start reading some lore. I'm a huge Warcraft fan, I've read the books for years & have played since 2004. Sadly the franchise has run it's course, hopefully this game can be my new every day MMO.
    There are many good Forgotten Realms books. R.A Salvatore is my favorite DD writer though not every one of his books are excellent and nowadays I prefer to see movies/TV series instead of reading.

Many books have good heroes. However my favorite villain is without doubt Artemis Entreri:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemis_Entreri

However Artemis Entreri is not Chaotic Evil. I would say that he is Neutral Evil though only a fool would play around with Artemis. He is also very proud, but also smart and a master swordsman and skilled in subterfuge tactics also. The most deadly assassin of Forgotten Realms during his prime. A relentless killer that takes special well paid assignments. He uses a magical sword and an artifact: a very Evil Vampiric Dagger that let him regain health. Actually money is not the main thing that drives Artemis Entreri. As a master Assasin he takes pride in his work and like challenge and difficult assignments. A deadly artist and death follows in his wake.

Artemis is still Evil though.

Speaking of Evil... I met in a FOUNDRY adventure a Succubus during third Beta Weekend(my first).
    Succubus: is a very sexy looking female Demon. They look much more like sexy super models then Demons. Succubus video this is from Lost Girl a good(not very good) Succubus TV series:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBorAzrfU18
    Select 480 DPI in the above video, which should be good enough quality.

How Evil are Succubus in Dungeons Dragons lore? Very evil they might try to seduce and even have sex with you, but they will try to kill you also... Can a bargain be done with a Demon? Maybe, but they can not be trusted and are very Evil. They have lust for sex... but also blood and kill! Succubus are however intelligent and they are not stupid brutes ... but as I said evil.
  • Options
    xbotzxbotz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 65
    edited March 2013
    Perfect World is based in China. The Chinese fiscal year follows the calendar year. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiscal_year

Mystery = Solved

Well played sir, well played.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    elewyndyl wrote: »
    Really bad release date is subjective taste. SWTOR? Sorry don't care about that though I don't mean no offense to SWTOR game or Starwars fans. WOW which I enjoyed had over 12 million players during top peak during year 2010 which is still unbroken record of active players. WOW is even today multiple times more popular then SWTOR. Now if WOW would have an expansion pack in Q2 then that would be bad timing.

I do not want to play computer games between midsummer-end of July! During that time I enjoy summer and bikini girls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMigfitM7FE

Ok I might do some exceptions, but during time I am abroad in south Europe on holiday I don't care about computer games lol. That said I will not be a troll if release is at end of June or July. Think positively if that would happen I can enjoy it more in August. I am bored at winter and when I look out from the window there is still lots of snow!

I don't really care about SWTOR either, but the fact is many people still play it, sure they don't have the numbers that WOW have, but it's still a popular game. Now team that up with STO which also is a fairly popular game and Defiance, an upcoming game by Trion which is a popular game developer, you have a trio of games that will compete directly with Neverwinter and that's not a good time to launch a game.
  • Options
    aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Mystery = Solved

That's true, but Cryptic is owned by Perfect World Entertainment (PWE), which I....think is USA based. It's like the company Perfect World proper does its western business through if I understand the structure.

Can anybody clarify that?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    fotzik wrote: »
    I don't really care about SWTOR either, but the fact is many people still play it, sure they don't have the numbers that WOW have, but it's still a popular game. Now team that up with STO which also is a fairly popular game and Defiance, an upcoming game by Trion which is a popular game developer, you have a trio of games that will compete directly with Neverwinter and that's not a good time to launch a game.
    Maybe. That said end of June or July is not good time to release either. Many people want to enjoy summer and technical threads will be also needlessly somewhat spammed by posters that unfortunately have heat issues with graphiccard or CPU. Main thing is though July suck as release date. August and autumn is at least better time to release games then at end of June or July.

So in my book better to release either May(or first days in June) or release it in August, but I will not play this game at release if it is released during my prime summer holiday time. However so I do not sound to dramatic if it is released say at end of June then I would happily play it in August.