test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Drow Unlock Idea: How to please ALL parties.

2»

Comments

• steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Also, I'm speculating that the actual Drow race will have a different starting point from the rest... Maybe that's the main reason why they will be released later on. If my theory is correct, this requires extra mapping effort (making a drow enclave or Menzoberranzan) + the appropriate starting quests and so on. The Renegade doesn't need all of this and if it would be available at release it would take all the incentive to pick the actual Drow, right?

This is the conclusion I ran into after pondering the issue after a long while. What do you guys think? :)
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    usodesu wrote: »
    dark elves are not born evil (maybe some are but that is the same with any humanoid) they are corrupted by Lolth.
    of course some will choose that path willingly, just like you could in any other humanoid communities.

think of how darth vader started out, since everyone is probably familiar with that one.
    he didnt start out as evil he was corrupted.
    as you all may or may not know, he started out as a normal fairly good natured human (well normal , apart from his midi-chlorian count that is.).

dark elves actually started out as normal elves and due to the corruption by Lolth /Araushnee they became night dwellers underground and above their skin changed and the dark elf was born... adaptation/evolution due to their different ways(the short version of it)

it most definitely has to do with the goddess Auraushnee/Lolth...
    below is how most dark elves cant break free and are made evil/corrupted.

Auraushnee/Lolth is the goddess of the drow race and society. She is responsible for the nature, customs, laws and survival of most drow communities. The Spider Queen maintains her absolute rule over drow cities by means of her clergy, who tirelessy seek out and destroy all traces of dissent, disobedience, rival faith, or sacrilege and who ruthlessly enforce the Way of Lolth. The Spider Queen foments unending chaos in drow society and sets the drow eternally at war with each other both for her own amusement and to prevent complacency, runaway pride from asserting itself, or the rise of other faiths.

some dark elves broke free from Lolth grasps , broke free of her corruption and became sane , good natured dark elves, i think only the corrupted dark elves where called Drow, because Lolth gave them that name. "Dark" has nothing to do with them being evil although some people seem to interpret it that way.

i hope i got some of it right but that is how i remember it from the 1980 's of how elves became dark elves and named Drow by Lolth.

That's actually incorrect. Even though I usually play Good aligned Drows, I'm well aware that this race is intrinsically propense to evil. It's written in their genecode - they're corrupted due to millennia of natural selection, contact with fiends and Lolth's influence. The most pious of drows is still prone to anger, suspicion and he may "go back" on his path. Only excellent individuals (mainly PCs) can be Good aligned Drows. And that's not necesarily a bad thing.

I used to think like you, but after a long time RPing, I finally admited that the D&D universe is black and white. Good and evil are tangible forces. Concepts have physical properties that manifest on bodies. This hasn't changed with 4th edition (as demons and celestial do exist). As long as the divine has a physical manifestation and it's not a metaphor, this is how it will work.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • peterpanskypeterpansky Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    darksx wrote: »

When it says a unique playable race, that to me says you get the char Drow to play as. not a skin.

This is the point here. Buy the drow, when its in the shop or buy the north pack. Your choice guys.
    "Oloth zhah tuth abbil lueth ogglin. (Darkness is both - friend and enemy)."
  • purpleorbespurpleorbes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 186 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    They mentioned that the drow renegade will have faeiry fire, But playing the beta im wondering how that is going to do anything for you at all. Anybody know how that will help?
  • bedroomjesusbedroomjesus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0
    edited March 2013
    They mentioned that the drow renegade will have faeiry fire, But playing the beta im wondering how that is going to do anything for you at all. Anybody know how that will help?

I'm guessing Faerie Fire will be some sort of debuff to give enemies. Most likely a penalty to AC.
  • equalizer77equalizer77 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    well it was a major disappointment for me, because i purchased the HERO OF THE NORTH and when i asked about the Menzoberranzan renegade they told me that it would only be available upon launch, not during the beta weekends.i'll hold them to it
  • kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited March 2013
    I'm guessing Faerie Fire will be some sort of debuff to give enemies. Most likely a penalty to AC.

In 4ed PHB faerie fire is druid level 1 daily spell that does 3d6+WIS damage to all creatures in the AOE.
  • krubarkrubar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 841 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Use those necro powers.
  • supersizemeatsupersizemeat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm in favor of making it unlockable.

Though, preferrably for something like $40 or so. Cash only.

That'd limit the drow to few. And make it really stand out. Not a big fan of drow invasion after 60 days.
  • liger000xliger000x Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ok to the op your idea is good and I wouldn't mind it but I also don't mind how it is but hey I give props when due sooo props to you good idea.

Ok now on Dark Elves and Drow they are different not just in looks but personality Dark Elves are cleansed Drow, Drow on the other hand are inherently evil some do break away but yeah its not often. If you didn't know that fact then you shouldn't be arguing about Drow or Dark Elves.

What I would like to see is let the founders have the Drow and let everyone else have Dark Elves it would fit the lore better and we would have less Drizzt clones and maybe 60 day down the line put the Drow in the cash-shop and milk the fan-boys for every cent they are worth.
    19.jpg
  • silver44swordsilver44sword Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    i don't know what all the fuss is about access to the drow race. Essentially can't you just roll an elf and make it's skin dark and whiten their hair in the character creation cosmetics screen?

Isn't it essentially the same thing?

Drow2.jpg
    might have an issue with eye cosmetics though.....

Lizard_Man_by_sansyu.jpg
    "Wouldn't this be cooler as a race opt?"

lizardman-1.jpg
    Or this.....?

As a DM I always allowed lizardmen as a race opt for players in my campaigns.....with a -3 char, -2 int, +2 str&dex, +1 con.
    "Good times with the scalies, good times!"
  • kurtixwarlordkurtixwarlord Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Are not the Dragonborn one of the core races of 4th Edition Player Book? I suppose we will see them in time
  • kurtixwarlordkurtixwarlord Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    And for the Drow/renegade debate: Even if free players get the drow after 2 months, you still have that renegade "special race" that surely will look diferent than the "basic" dark elves, so you can still say "Hey, look at me, i can afford the 200$ of the Hero pack and you dont", what i feel is what you all want to do...
  • neyarineyari Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    i don't know what all the fuss is about access to the drow race. Essentially can't you just roll an elf and make it's skin dark and whiten their hair in the character creation cosmetics screen?

Isn't it essentially the same thing?
    The elves cannot match the skin tones of the drow. Its a nice thought. Sadly, its not the same thing.
  • thetrickyxxthetrickyxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Being that the hero pack is 200$ i expect quite a lot, it's a steep price and there should be more included in the package(not extras for other PWE games
    I am Nurgle, Chaos god of filth and pestilence.. may the corpse carnival parade you with maggots and disease!

kMNzSBz.png
  • malkavianitemalkavianite Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    stoermc wrote: »
    Does it actually occur to you that the vanilla Drow are not only taken from the game at launch to ramp up sales but also because they are simply not done with them? Just an afterthought. Thus, it would be pointless to argue about including them via some odd quests or something like that.

It occurs to me that that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. They have the HotN version all ready to go for launch, so how much extra work could it possibly be to duplicate the same race, minus the tattoos and Faerie Fire ability??
    darksx wrote: »
    Sorry, I don’t want to sit here and crush you down to size, but there’s a reason they offered the HotN pack. If you don’t want to spend money on it, sorry, but that was your choice! Many of us did for a reason and one of those was because I want to play a Drow. And have many of the other benefits the pack offers.

It would be extremely unfair to those of us who did spend money on this game to give the Drow out to those who did not spend money. There has to be a fine line when marketing items and entice users to spend money on the game.

Again, if you don’t like it sorry, but this is how it is in life, so get used to disappointment. Either spend the money for the pack, or give it a rest because Cryptic is not going ot take a chance by pissing many of us off that spent money on this game and have us all up in arms demanding a refund. And that is what will happen.

Elitist much? Speaking as someone who, also being a purchaser of HotN package, is on the same 'lofty' ground that you seem to think you are on, I think it's far more unfair to those who only want to play as their favourite race, but are locked out of it (even for two months) because they're not prepared to pay $200 for the 'privilege'. Race are, imho, one thing that should never ever be a limited exclusive. We already get the drow with a special skin and ability, as well as everything else in the founders pack. Why are you so greedy as to feel the need to get early access—or, as you seem to be hinting at, exclusive access—to the race in addition to all of that?
  • erluciuserlucius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 213 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Are not the Dragonborn one of the core races of 4th Edition Player Book? I suppose we will see them in time

Dragonborn and Lizardmen are 2 different races, dragonborns came out with the 3.5 edition, lizardmen came out before of the 3rd edition
  • xhatchxhatch Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It is inevitable that different money divides will split players opinions. For me, as a HOTN/Guardian&Starter pack purchaser, I can only say that I bought these packs for my own enjoyment & I couldn't care less if every other player in the game was running around as a Drow on a giant spider mount. The main thing is I have them. Now, if PWE/Cryptic were to suddenly "move the goal posts" or "alter the agreement" on the items that I had purchased, then I would as a consumer feel like that wasn't very fair. Since that is the case, any pleas players are making for what is essentially an item available only in the HOTN pack I do not agree with. If you want the item, then buy the HOTN pack. That is how it was clearly advertised before anyone bought any of the packs. You can't buy the Guardian pack and then cry/beg/request/whine that they should change the items in it to give you something more. You knew what you were buying when you bought the pack in the first place.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all this in an aggressive/arrogant way. I'm just pointing out the broken logic a lot of players in this thread are using.
    sig2dz.jpg
    :cool:PLAY TO WIN:cool: |"A light in the darkness."
    |