test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is it worth it buying a founder pack for a campaign creator?

weelildragonweelildragon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I got a first taste of the game in open Beta. Didn't do much apart from some questing and getting to lvl 15 or so. I particulary enjoyed the spell-plaque quest and I feel inspired on expanding on it.
I love the idea of creating your own campaigns.

What im wondering is... Will it really be needed to buy the founders pack?
There is only one thing I really need from it:
DUNGEON MASTER UNLOCK
Start creating your own quests in The Foundry immediately.
Though I probably could just wait for it to come out seperately, since it's the only thing I really need.
I first want to get a general feel for the game mechanics and lore anyhow, before I start making quests.

There are other items that I might have a need for:
NEVERWINTER DIGITAL NOVELLA
Receive the Cold Steel and Secrets, a Neverwinter novella by Rosemary Jones in digital format.
I imagine this would be great for learning about some of the lore.
2,000,000 ASTRAL DIAMONDS
A type of currency used in-game to purchase gear and to bid in the auction house.
Do you need Astral Diamonds to get high item rewards in your quest?
Post edited by weelildragon on

Comments

• zieglerzzieglerz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 197 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    From what I understand, and I may be completely wrong. You will have the chance to buy the Campaign Creator by itself for some over priced F2P business model. I fully expect that you will get a limited tile set and be charged more on top of that to purchase additional tile sets.
    No idea on how long that it going to be though.

I played beta weekend and played to lvl 36 mostly solo and never spent a single diamond. But from what I am reading, you will have a choice, grind a stupid amount of time the same as any other F2P or purchase diamonds. They havnt pulled the whole....click here for your reward....OR....pay 1000 diamonds to get a guranteed rare bull****.....but I have a feeling they are just saving that for launch because that is the kind of thing F2P games depend on to bilk money out of customers.
  • ziechezieche Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think that just means you can start using the foundry immediately on launch, where other people will need to level a character to...15(?) before the Foundry button unlocks.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited March 2013
    zieglerz wrote: »
    From what I understand, and I may be completely wrong. You will have the chance to buy the Campaign Creator by itself for some over priced F2P business model.

You're completely wrong. And you know that, because you've been told before.
  • fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You could just level up to 15 and skip the $200 pricetag. AD is used for a lot of things but it won't improve the quest rewards. If you want to learn more about lore just go to Amazon and buy some kindle books from R.A. Salvatore, there's other authers aswell but I like his the best. You can find all his published titles on Goodreads.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited March 2013
    Foundry is 100% free. Always has been, always will be, for reasons Cryptic has explained many times, summarized as "they don't want a great quest to not get made because the author didn't want to spend money". Foundry brings people into the game, there's nothing to be gained from driving authors away from it.

All the pack gets you in regard to Foundry is access immediately, instead of needing to level a character to 15 first.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited March 2013
    The Founder's Perk for Foundry Access is just the removal of the normal level 15 restriction on accessing the Foundry. Normally, players will need to get a character to level 15 to unlock the Foundry, The Founder's Perk allows you to ignore that restriction and dive into the Foundry without first making a level 15 character.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2013
    I just want to touch on two points.

Your last bit about Astral Diamonds, which syberghost did in a way answer, is that there is currently no way to pay for additional features with Astral Diamonds. There might a means to buy additional resource allotments or such but great content can already be made without paying a dime (all the current quests being made is with the 100% free version of the tool)

And then to note that I do not see level 15 as a burden. If you design content for a game you should know how it plays first and no D&D rendition is the same as another. Your content wouldn't have a very high bar if you don't have any in game experience ;)
    Level 15 is about 3 Hours or so of gameplay. Likely less.
  • xfracturexfracture Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You can get to level 15 in about an hour and a 1/2. Ask yourself if the $200 price tag is worth that?
  • zieglerzzieglerz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 197 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    You're completely wrong. And you know that, because you've been told before.

um...no..I havent. You must have me confused with someone else. This is the first I have talked about the foundry, and the only thing I knew about it was that it would be modeled after STO and what is on the webpage about it.

The paying for it was what I read in global chat over the weekend, and I checked the website and didnt find anything, which is why I said I could be completely wrong.

So pull up your big boy pants, no need for a pissing contest here.