test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

so what's the point of the game?

lordsofsteellordsofsteel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 65
edited March 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I am level 10 now......... and basically all the game is so far is just a bunch of back to back quests...

Is this all the game is? Going on quests?

Are there no open zone areas to adventure through?
Post edited by lordsofsteel on

Comments

• vernedndvernednd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    I am level 10 now......... and basically all the game is so far is just a bunch of back to back quests...

1) Having fun and/or passing time is usually the ultimate point of any entertainment product.
    2) The zones become larger and more open as you level.
    3) Pvp was just added, and other systems like crafting and the foundry creation tool are currently not available to us.
    4) The game is based on D&D which is usually about questing.

Cheers!
    Fighter.jpg
  • lordsofsteellordsofsteel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 65
    edited March 2013
    I know but the questing doesnt have to feel so generic.... get this and bring it back.... or kill X amount of this and come back..

I am assuming the quests get much larger and more open ended the higher up you go...
  • kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited March 2013
    lordofsteel try the foundry quests, some of them are good and more open (not that theres many of them ATM). The offical quests are all going to be generic, well maybe there be non liner ones at end game but I don't know.
    edited March 2013
    Like world of warcraft quests for example... they are much more in depth and happen in large open zone areas....
  • deads6667deads6667 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 112 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    LOL What level did you say you are again? level 10 and youre upset about the newbie quests? good lord... learn 2 put things in perspective
  • will0boobawill0booba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Like world of warcraft quests for example... they are much more in depth...

uhm.. What ? Did we play a different WoW ?
  • kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited March 2013
    Like world of warcraft quests for example... they are much more in depth and happen in large open zone areas....

What WoW has quests with depths to them?
  • heavenshock12heavenshock12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I kind of understand what you mean, like how about a main story and not a lot of side-stories ?
    edited March 2013
    well look at how in depth WoW instances are... They are very long dungeon quest areas..

I havent seen anything yet in this game that compares to a good WoW instance dungeon. Even the low level instances in WoW are a far superior experience. But this game is free to play so.. I dont know if that means that they put less work into the product or what....
  • rohk007rohk007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    only wow quest i can remember that had good story was picking up poo in Nagrand
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • keepcalmchiveonkeepcalmchiveon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    just wait bro, hold on to those little boy shorts....

there are instances you can sign up for that are anywhere from 15 mins to 45 mins. (Dungeon and Skirmish stuffs - these are just kill, kill, kill, but can be fun)

but i have to say i am a bit upset at your take on the quests. do you read the storyline provided by all the contacts? do you, yourself, immerse into them? or do you simply click through everything?

simple...most are. i am sure it is meant to be this way so that many ages can play and have fun.

will they provide what you ask? i am betting yes, but closer to end game.

here is a thought...build your quests in the Foundry and showcase them for people to play and evaluate....
    was sir_james_of_cadiz on cryptics forums...did not get to keep the name

:mad:
  • angelascendedangelascended Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You take a block from the bottom and put it on top, then you take a block from the middle then put it on top..... Wait, you mean Neverwinter? Oh...well. To play, enjoy and have fun?
    Daelyn of CO & STO, Kathea Borian of NWN 1 - Menzoberranzan (Sams Server), Kathea and Mebridia of NWN 2 - The Frontier & Frontier Reborn
  • redshift2k5redshift2k5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 241 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    The main story is "back to back quests" but I feel they have a nice variety of story, mixed encounter types, mixed locations, etc

Don't miss out on the SKIRMISHES and DUNGEONS though! These are a great change of pace from questing.

you can also check the foundry for the type of content you want. If you want more combat-oriented stuff, check the foundry. If you want mre story stuff, check the foundry. It's got some great content there and it will only continue to grow.
  • raivullraivull Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What dungeon can you que for at level 10 in wow? Last time I levelled it was around 15/16 before you could que..
  • ladyshaie1ladyshaie1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    It is still level 15 for dungeon finder in WoW. I think what he's trying to say though, is that all the quests in WoW (in the old world especially) are tied together as part of a larger story. (If you quit playing before Cataclysm or didn't play much after Cata launched you'll be scratching your head lol.) Just playing WoW is immersive, moreso than any other game I have played yet, however! I'm not complaining about NeverWinter at all. I absolutely LOVED NWN & what I was able to play of NWN2 (although 1 was better, to me) so when I found out about a Neverwinter MMORPG, I was super excited. I'm not disappointed, I did not expect (nor would I ever ask for) it to be a WoW clone. WoW is WoW, EQ is EQ, EQ2 is EQ2, etc. Each has its own flavor, if you will.

More directly though, it's an MMORPG & yep, you kill x amount of these & get a reward. Bring back body parts, get reward. At least there aren't any (yet) "Go tell that guy just inside the doorway right behind me, yeah that one that I could spit on from here, tell him I said this." Yes, I'm talking about Duskwood and YES I always yelled at whatshername to just turn around & tell him herself, but it didn't work & I ended up doing it anyway. To me those were rather the epitome of "Hmmmmm, need a quest RIGHT HERE...." But I digress, NeverWinter, as pretty much all these types of games are based off tabletop (or pen & paper if you prefer :D ) Dungeons & Dragons, so they will all have a main storyline with lots & lots of side stories. There IS a main storyline here, it has to do with the attack on NeverWinter. We just don't have much to do with it yet & it's entirely possible that not all the quests are available yet, not all areas are available yet, not all content is available yet. There may be more cut scenes to help advance the story or make certain points clear, may be more background dialogue - these things don't make it into beta usually because they are "flavor" & not considered essential to gameplay.

The huge difference & one I look forward to once we get more friends to play, is the player-created content. EQ2 has player-made dungeons now (probably because they knew this was coming), but they are only dungeons & do not have unique content. I've not tried any of the foundry content as yet, but if it is like the player made content for NWN it should be great!
  • fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Whaaaat?? Have you actually read the quests in wow.. there's sitcom **** all over the place and there's not that much depth to them.. large open zones.. erm.. you baiscly do a small story that's full of lame jokes and **** then move to the next zone, there's nothing large about that.. it's basicly the same as in any other game except you don't have a loading screen when you change the zone..
  • fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    well look at how in depth WoW instances are... They are very long dungeon quest areas..

I havent seen anything yet in this game that compares to a good WoW instance dungeon. Even the low level instances in WoW are a far superior experience. But this game is free to play so.. I dont know if that means that they put less work into the product or what....

In depth instances.. they are just as much in depth as the clock tower.. not that different in length actually.. The backstory of the dungeons are about the same in length if we compare the games. The only wow dungeons that are the old vanilla instances like BRD, which people whined about so they never made anything that long again. Nowdays you zerg through the instance in 40-45min tops.
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited March 2013

Really finds it odd that this question is being asked at every new launch of every new game. Literally heard this a million times now.

What's the point of any game, to have fun. So why are we hearing this question. Could it be because people are tired of these style games? because hate to break it to you there's only so much companies can do within a genre that keeps the game classified as the same genre. If you don't like questing maybe you should be playing a FPS? just sayin.
  • maverickwerewolfmaverickwerewolf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 36
    edited March 2013
    Fun.

What's the point of anything in life? All you have to do is die. :p
    Dedicated NWN roleplayer for 7+ years, the Village of Creation (VoC) server
  • zzaraxxinzzaraxxin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 60
    edited March 2013

Seriously man, WOW has had the most go here collect that kill x amount of dudes i can count in an mmo and i played that for years. Sure there is a little more depth to it than that but WOW is one of the most same quest games i have ever played. Not saying WOW isnt a good game but the reason most people stopped playing was the game was beginning to feel like a chore more than entertainment. This is of course before Cataclysm i have not played since the start of Icecrown citadel and as for this game i do agree a little more depth in the quests would be nice but it does have some originality to it.
  • xaciusxacius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited March 2013

Sorry..I stopped reading the thread after this. Was going to stop when you were complaining at level 10..but figured I'de give it a go....but the quoted part dropped whatever was remaining off the cliff. Good lord.
  • razorrxgdbrazorrxgdb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Wow has always had a deeper story tied to its quest chain. *IF* you choose to actually pay attention to that sort of thing.

The thing that has really hit me with NW is that several of the UGC I played had MUCH more story to them and felt much more in depth than any of the cryptic quests so far. I would really love to see cryptic step up and knock my socks off and make me feel part of the world, etc. it just is not happening for me at this time. The Tutorial feels slapped together and the death of the private has zero impact on me, etc. Then you are off chasing a crown. They never explain WHY you need to get it, or how it got in the vault in the first place (in Cold Steel and Secrets it is still hidden in a magic pocket). Then off to the tower district! too fast, too surface and not enough depth.
  • heathenhammer9heathenhammer9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013

Can you please tell me what instance in WoW you run at level 10? Just curious...you make it sound like by level 10 in WoW you're off saving the world from dangerous dragons and evil lichs, instead of killing coyotes or collecting bird feathers.
  • blondesolidblondesolid Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 48
    edited March 2013
    So far from 1-26

1) Quest hubs and surrounding areas 2-4 minion mobs with one tougher mob (quite similar to swtor)
    2) Quest(repeatable) Kill X of these mobs in the area (1)
    3) Quest pick up item guarded by (1)
    4) Quest pick up item of single slighter strongester mob after fighting past (1)

Now for the "main" quest 1-4 + cutscene boss mob

It's pretty much been identical minus the skins of course. It's enjoyable, and by no means trying to change the way mmo's go about doing things, but the staying power is only pretty much only to the whales, and the suuuuuuuuper Realms fans out there.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2013
    With level 60 only taking roughly 60 hours of gameplay it's possible they are looking to put most effort into the end game content.

Who knows...

But I wouldn't write it off before seeing what is offered in the end game :)
    razorrxgdb wrote: »
    The thing that has really hit me with NW is that several of the UGC I played had MUCH more story to them and felt much more in depth than any of the cryptic quests so far. I would really love to see cryptic step up and knock my socks off and make me feel part of the world, etc. it just is not happening for me at this time. The Tutorial feels slapped together and the death of the private has zero impact on me, etc. Then you are off chasing a crown. They never explain WHY you need to get it, or how it got in the vault in the first place (in Cold Steel and Secrets it is still hidden in a magic pocket). Then off to the tower district! too fast, too surface and not enough depth.

I have never made it very secret that I have higher expectations from the Foundry Content than Cryptic content as far as D&D content goes.

While not all Foundry Content will be good, much of it will be bad, I know based on NWN that the UGC will far exceed Cryptic in so many ways. I look at NWN as a game which would have been extremely forgetable without the UGC and I feel Neverwtiner will shine brightest with The Foundry Content.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited March 2013

WoW is $500 million dollars and 13 years into its development lifespan. Neverwinter is probably 1/10th of that dollar figure into its own, and 3 years. Yes, it's going to have less stuff. How could it possibly not?
  • sneakycheesessneakycheeses Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    PvP is okay and the dungeons I ran were fun, especially the level 16-18 one (the first legitimate dungeon that's not just waves of mobs, but those were fun, too).
    Brodicus - 60 Trickster Rogue - Dragon
  • kharnagexkharnagex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 211 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013

well at lvl 25 there is a dungeon that if fully explored takes longer than most the BC, WotLK dungeons its freaking huge (too bad people don't fully explore everything, stupid wow for making everyone just charge for the end boss mentality).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thehttheht Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 51
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, the official quests are fairly ordinary in the tasks they have you perform (mostly). I haven't been paying attention to the story on account of wanting to take my time with it when my character won't be wiped, but some like the spellplague questline I've really enjoyed.

The really interesting stuff I expect to come in the form of user-generated content, though I wouldn't put it past Cryptic to have intriguing quest design on some of the official stuff.

I have found the area quests to be completely uninteresting (the racing and catching spies sort of stuff), but things like having area bosses and similarly more epic (as in actually epic) area quests that pop more often would be great. Maybe they're already there, hell I just got to level 25.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sent8sent8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 70
    edited March 2013
    razorrxgdb wrote: »
    Wow has always had a deeper story tied to its quest chain. *IF* you choose to actually pay attention to that sort of thing.

I felt the same way and therefore since I used to be a big reader of Forgotten Realms series decided to do a little research on the subject. There are sections in the lore book in-game that I imagine will eventually have this information in it. At the time I ran the quest for the crown there was literally no information. I will put down some of what I found, with some of the information copied from the Forgotten Realms Wikia.

::::::SPOILER:::::::
    ::::::SPOILER:::::::
    ::::::::::::::::::::::

The Nine was a powerful, long-lasting band of adventurers that wandered the Realms for over thirty winters. The band maintained a subterranean stronghold, the Stronghold of the Nine, in the woods east of Waterdeep, on the banks of the Unicorn Run. Before they disbanded, they had links to the Harpers and the Lords of Waterdeep.[2]

The Nine eventually split and warred against each other. There seemed to be a lack of information to what happened between then and now (Now being after the Spell Plague). Spell Plague was cause by the death of the Goddess of Magic, Mystra (Midnight). The most recent information states that the souls of the Nine were imprisoned into items throughout the land (Mostly Neverwinter). One of those items was the crown.

These Nine items have something to do with restoring Mystra and curing the spell plague. This is all of course information I picked through to piece together the status so far as a lot has transpired in Faerun since the last books I read (Which was the return of the Archmage series). There is also some information to the Nine items being spread in Gauntlgrym and other large power seeking them out. This information is of course speculation from what I could find on Wikia. All in all it's a very happening time in Neverwinter and plenty of Lore to be had. Hope to see with OB and release much more information given.
    21.jpg