test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How many Female characters do you play, dude?

ricktacularricktacular Member Posts: 349 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Off Topic
I was just thinking of the female characters in my stable of toons. They outnumber my main two-to-one (as I only have three anyway). I was curious, how many do you have, and why?
Post edited by ricktacular on

Comments

• Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Missing poll option: girls playing male characters. Yes, it happens. A lot.

Here's the way I see it: why should it matter if a guy rolls a girl avatar or a girl rolls a guy avatar? The only possible reason this could matter to anyone is if they are looking for luv in-game. The simple fact of the matter is there are a lot of reasons to roll a female or male based on a few things:

A "wizard" to me is a male. That's just how I visualize it based on all the stories I've read. A "cleric" is always a woman. Again, my own perspective based on the stories I've read and so on. Furthermore: I am staring at my avatar a helluvalot longer than anyone else! LOL So if I make a muscleman it's because that's what I want to stare at as I suffer 60 levels of play to endgame. If I create a hot babe in a bikini it will be for ME, not anyone else.

I understand the question, and sure - it's curiosity. But in the end it really doesn't matter, does it?

And since you're curious: I roll male or female based on theme and look:
    I get 5 character slots and I suspect I'll roll these in this order:

Female Cleric - likely Human or full Elf
    Male Wizard - Likely Tiefling or Dwarf
    Male Trickster Rogue - Likely hafling
    Guardian Figher - definitely male, undecided race
    Female Mezzo Drow - undecided class

As for my real life sex? Why would that matter to anyone? LOL
  • Options
    horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Lets try and find something fresh to talk about, instead of the same question every stinkin mmo.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I understand the question, and sure - it's curiosity.

Actually, I was being silly more than anything else. :)
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    None, although I don't find it creepy; a little sad and pitiful if you do it to look at your avatars butt, but not really creepy.
  • Options
    mogwaimogwai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    <--man
    i fall somewhere between the last 2 options.
    i dont rly RP with the exception that i usually make casters female.
    combined with so often in games that for w.e reason there are gender locks with certain selections.
    but still manage to maintain a higher % of male toons.
    & i would never try to masquerade as a RL lady :rolleyes:
    mmorpg is R'lyehian for: Innumerable quantities of grown babies
    discussing & often complaining about the imaginary.
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1618000&dateline=1316204434[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kwsapphirekwsapphire Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Option 5: I'm female, so I identify more with female characters. Back in City of Heroes I had somewhere around 100 characters (I don't have my spreadsheet in front of me), and I think fewer than 10 were male. (I didn't play all 100 toons very far. I had 21 L50s though, all female.) I find that if I can't identify with the character, it's harder for me to care about them, which means I am less inclined to play them. I know I wont have altitis as bad here in Neverwinter, but I am probably still going to roll all female toons.
    qtPt2I
  • Options
    libertine17libertine17 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I used to play a lot of male characters, but when I got to WoW the male character models were so bad that my new characters were all female other than my undead warlock.
  • Options
    reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    why is it creepy, all models are originally moddled from an actual person.
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Im a guy so I only play guys, I feel weird even when Im DMing with a female NPC
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    corniviccornivic Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I don't think there is anything wrong with being a male and making mostly girls. I like seeing girls kicking butts.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Roleplaying character of opposite alignment to your nature and/or opposite sex to you is very difficult. It is even more difficult to get it realistic. So I do not play a lot of evil characters or a lot of female characters, though I sometimes try to challenge myself with it.
  • Options
    iaughteriaughter Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The answers are kind of special. I play all female. Was only one time I played a Male character and he was a Tauren.
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    I have one girl I make in every game, a clear and present damage dealer usually a rogue if they have that archetype and I've used this name since the very beginning of my gaming experience because I couldn't use curse words to name this nasty lady LOL I will only reveal her name after launch has occurred and I can save her name.

Anyway I make her because it's my own personal tradition.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I have one girl I make in every game, a clear and present damage dealer usually a rogue if they have that archetype and I've used this name since the very beginning of my gaming experience because I couldn't use curse words to name this nasty lady LOL I will only reveal her name after launch has occurred and I can save her name.

Anyway I make her because it's my own personal tradition.

You don't have to worry about "saving the name". The way the names work in Cyptic games (and I LOVE it) Is Your Name@ Account Name, you just don't see the "@Account Name" part.

For instance, my female rogue's name is Slique, but everyone can use it, because it'll be Slique@RickTacular. You just won't see the @RickTacular part unless you PM or message me in game. So, in short, your name is safe. :)
  • Options
    corniviccornivic Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hehe, yeah Cyptic way is awesome, I don't have to do weird names that I do for all fantasy games :P I did for my guardain this time since I wasn't thinking about the fact it is Cyptic game.
  • Options
    talorektalorek Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 85
    edited March 2013
    I chose that I use a few as RP and theme dictate. Like someone else, I kinda equate their sex with the role that they play.

Normally my healer is always a female... Unless it's a Paladin... Then Male
    My mages - Always a female
    Warriors - For the most part tend to be male unless I am playing an amazonian type.
    Thieves - I have both for these, just depends on which models look better.

What's more telling is what I pick when there isn't a choice for "jobs" and maybe that is the actual question.
    For example, in a game like Oblivion, Marrowind, Fallout, GTA, Saint's Row, etc - I always choose male. But for MMOs, the job of the character dictates what sex I make them.
    Talorek

The Lords of Light - A LGBT Friendly Guild {Social/PvE/Light RP/Events}

You can join or visit with us here.
  • Options
    steampunkysteampunky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm actually seeing a lot of gender-role application, here, which isn't surprising. And at least one Power Fantasy male character/Sexual Fantasy female character dichotomy. You just usually tend to see more of the "I like looking at women's butts" than the gender role assignments (Women as support, men as active or aggressive roles).

I'm interested in seeing how far it goes in a second D&D based online game. Online gaming tends more towards passive sexism thanks to the anonymity, and D&D has long been a bastion of quiet sexism (Gender-Role optioning and Power/Sexual fantasy dichotomies) so it will be interesting to see where it goes.

DDO, I thought, had a wonderful spread of different reasoning, some outright misogynistic and others misandrist, but a very large portion of the community fell in the center of spread, with nearly no bias one way or the other, completely counter to what I thought would happen.

For the record, and on topic, I play almost exclusively female characters. I simply prefer to place myself more firmly into the character's footsteps for immersion purposes.

-Rachel-
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
  • Options
    ladygoldenorbsladygoldenorbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Whoa, Ricktacular, some of these folks took you WAY too seriously! I found the post idea pretty entertaining, personally. For the record, I'm a chick who's rolling a male character right now, with some rifle-pimping Gandalf action.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Whoa, Ricktacular, some of these folks took you WAY too seriously! I found the post idea pretty entertaining, personally. For the record, I'm a chick who's rolling a male character right now, with some rifle-pimping Gandalf action.

Yeah, but you know what? I should have known. We nerds never take anything lightly, much less our high fantasy. ;)
  • Options
    deohnoehdeohnoeh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    reilz1981 wrote: »
    why is it creepy, all models are originally moddled from an actual person.

Its creepy when the person you think is a girl for 6months and who has been flirting with you for 3 of them suddenly comes on voice chat... 0_0'

That said I myself play female characters sometimes but mostly for the butts and when it's in character... *Dat Butt*
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I always play females.

I think that's because I think it's "weird" to play a male since in RP games I want to play something that doesn't resemble to myself. And all of the male characters I had were just copies of me.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    liger000xliger000x Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I always play females in every game that gives me a choice unless it's PnP then I almost always RP a guy just because its easier...and my friends are creepers soo yeah I rather not deal with that. My main reason for playing females is mostly because of looks they always look better than male characters I have yet to play a game that made me want to play a male character even for a second.
    19.jpg