test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Pretty much immortal.

rahlarahla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
edited March 2013 in The Militia Barracks
I'm not sure if it's a side effect of the game itself being super easy, but my GF felt...totally unkillable during the beta weekend.

Adding feat points to the "build charge while blocking" feat, keeping the daily as the self heal as a percentage of damage...Any time your health starts to drop, just block, pop the daily, stab a few things and you're back at full health, and constantly regaining that health until the daily wears off.

With these two things, only a complete idiot with a broken shift could be killed as a Guardian Fighter. I think the combo may need a pretty hard nerf if the difficulty of the mobs is not increased significantly, or at the very least have a cooldown put on the daily since blocking builds charge way too quickly.
To my fellow beta testers,

Complaints help no one, shooting down suggestions helps no one, fanboyism helps no one. Suggestions and constructive criticism are needed, or you're kind of useless as a tester. This isn't a demo, this is a beta. If you paid money to be a tester and regret it, you have no one to blame but yourself.

~<3
Post edited by rahla on

Comments

• Options
    unjustbladeunjustblade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 91
    edited February 2013
    Completely agree, but hey, we're supposed to be right? The only time I died was to that ogre in the Tower District when he pinned me in the corner and proceeded to stomp me into fighter flavored jelly. That was the first, and last time dying happened.
  • Options
    doogie74doogie74 Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The mob's difficulty was reduced and exp increased for the beta weekend so more content could be tested.
  • Options
    katalystikkatalystik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    doogie74 wrote: »
    The mob's difficulty was reduced and exp increased for the beta weekend so more content could be tested.

Bingo. True story. xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    godofthornsgodofthorns Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Actually, the Daily Power does have a cooldown...you have to actually attack or be attacked to recharge it...it does not "refresh" by you just sitting there. While I do believe the mob difficulty (i.e. increase in mob's level of damage, level of defense, and amount of Hit Points) should be ramped up, I definitely do not agree that the Daily Powers should be messed with. They take some time to reach full capacity, so an additional cooldown is not needed or wanted. If the mob difficulty is raised significantly, then players should not feel so epic in their questing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thorn
  • Options
    zeruinzeruin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    doogie74 wrote: »

uhm.. there's was another post that states otherwise.. "According to the most recent article from Gamefront: "I was frankly amazed at how quickly I achieved level 21 during the weekend. It took me maybe 9 hours tops. I later confirmed with Cryptic CEO Jack Emmert that this is how it’s going to be in the final release of the game, not just accelerated for beta.""

here's a link to that thread.. http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?54811-Leveling-speed-will-be-the-same-as-beta-once-launch-arrives

and here's a link to the Gamefront article.. http://www.gamefront.com/neverwinter-beta-weekend-1-impressions-fast-fun-and-addictive/

so yea, not quite sure why some of you are spouting opinions as facts? personally, I'll believe it when I see it.. a lot can change from now and launch..
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And if you spoke to the GMs that entire weekend they ALSO confirmed the XP was still raised.

I love Mr. Emmeret, but he's...not always updated in the day to day and more on the theory parts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    witchzerowitchzero Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 49
    edited February 2013
    Rahla,

How hard was the game as a Guardian Fighter without using that daily?

Edit:

I ask because if it is Night and Day difference then the Power is too strong. If it is just as easy then perhaps the content is too easy.

I have zero problem with wrecking solo content if you play competently. I've seen videos of each class rolling through content because they knew what they were doing. I've seen some bad ones too. ;)
  • Options
    turokhammerstoneturokhammerstone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I felt the same way with the Invincible. I had thought the Stab over the shield was an exploit at first. Then I ran into the undead late game. BAM! Dead. Too many adds to not leave yourself open at times. It did force me to change tactics. A lot more moving and wearing them down. More pots too. I started using my daily more often. It wasn't always the heal one either. Sometimes it was the area damage to clear mobs then charge the boss.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vikinggamervikinggamer Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And if you spoke to the GMs that entire weekend they ALSO confirmed the XP was still raised.

I love Mr. Emmeret, but he's...not always updated in the day to day and more on the theory parts.

for as long as I have been in IT and the corporate world lets see how many times I have run into executives that had their facts wrong. Yeah, I am gonna have to agree. I would trust the GMs first.

All die, so die well.
  • Options
    seashell9seashell9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't quite see how the GF Healing Daily is stronger than any other of the total three classes aviable during last beta?
    Regular content was so easy.....

People almost soloed the Cloak Tower. As a cleric you can kite heal yourself unlimited. GF is even weaker in extreme situations, one Ogre strong attack will deplete up to half of your shield stamina and without stamina you won't even last the remaining 20 seconds till your daily is back up and unlike a cleric you can't heal yourself outside pots usage. If you run in circles with low health you don't build up power for the daily.

(Note: i don't talk about fighting one ogre, but 6 "elite" and 10 minions at once)
  • Options
    snorri30snorri30 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i found OP the fighter's recovery in combo with area damage encounters... you'll get life from EVERY minion damaged...
    but, if they gonna nerf xp system and power up the mobs then i think it's ok just as we played last Beta week.

P.S. don't know how you builds your GF but mine was a rock even with the shield/stamina down... was really tough to bring him down, and i almost played alone. BUT i loved how GF and DC create a infernal death machine in combo.... :eek:
  • Options
    vanderhelmvanderhelm Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I definitely felt that way; only died once the whole weekend and it was due to an incompetent group that left me alone to fight the 2nd boss in Cloak tower while they all went up to help an idiot who aggroed the patrol instead of coming down with the rest of the group.

The self-heal daily was pretty awesome, but it never healed me to full, usually I'd finish a fight with the same or just a little more health than I entered it with if I used the daily. I found myself having to use potions a lot regardless.

I think they should buff the heal on the daily and make it a true 2nd wind (Not dependent on damage), I also think they should make all the dailies true dailies; as it stands I can use them multiple times in a fight; I'd rather they buffed them and made the cooldown much longer so it forces you to REALLY save it for tough encounters only; I don't like that I can use my daily nearly every encounter.
  • Options
    chuckfchuckf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If felt like they nerfed the healing on the daily compared to the first weekend, which was needed. I never died in a dungeon and only died once while in the graveyards looking for doomguides, 3 battlewights with a lich that i didn't notice and I was swarmed with mobs. I felt like the GF was much better tuned for the difficulty of the mobs this time around.
  • Options
    ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

This is so true. Even at a higher level, Cryptic is pretty famous for having a left hand that is unaware what the right hand is doing.

Unfortunately, you can expect confusing over contradictory communication up to launch. I like Cryptic, they are a strong gaming company, but their PR is a little uncoordinated at times.
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!
  • Options
    meathooks333meathooks333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My largest issue with survivability in BW2 was the frequency with which you can just chug potions. 10 second cooldown is way too short. Potion spamming and Fighter's Recovery caused me to feel like I was never really in any danger throughout the weekend, even in the Cloak Tower when I had only a rank 1 companion healing my group. I know that Guardian Fighter is meant to be super tanky, and that's as it should be, but I think increasing the cooldown on potions would help so much to make this game more interesting/challenging.
    8131251489_ec88a8c016.jpg
  • Options
    zakzyazakzya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    witchzero wrote: »
    Rahla,

How hard was the game as a Guardian Fighter without using that daily?

Edit:

I ask because if it is Night and Day difference then the Power is too strong. If it is just as easy then perhaps the content is too easy.

I think it is more of a matter of the class being pigeon-holed into using that daily or being gimped. I don't think the heal daily (can't remember the name) is too strong at all. I think that it is really the only one that provides sustained advantages rather than a brief stun or something, and moreover, it is the only one that even makes sense for tanking. I think that daily should stay as is, and other tanking centric dailies should be added/reworked.

Also, in response to the OP, I definitely got that "immortality" feeling that you are talking about; however, I do think the class suffers in two respects: threat generation and a boring/irrelevant TAB mechanic. Mark has got to go. I mean hell, it doesn't even have an animation. I never even felt like I needed to use it.
  • Options
    stormhammystormhammy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    zakzya wrote: »
    however, I do think the class suffers in two respects: threat generation and a boring/irrelevant TAB mechanic. Mark has got to go. I mean hell, it doesn't even have an animation. I never even felt like I needed to use it.

*Facepaw*
    1) Mark be better without an animation....It makes it an instant cast spell.
    2) Mark causes the target to take additional damage. It be particularly noticeably when you has 5 people hammering on the same target.
    3) Mark pretty much be the only "pull" GFs have since everything is either melee or AoE.
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows./Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope.
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    stormhammy wrote: »
    *Facepaw*
    1) Mark be better without an animation....It makes it an instant cast spell.
    2) Mark causes the target to take additional damage. It be particularly noticeably when you has 5 people hammering on the same target.
    3) Mark pretty much be the only "pull" GFs have since everything is either melee or AoE.

I think the way Mark should work is that when an enemy is marked the Fighter gets a flanking bonus on the creature when he's not flanking, and automatic crits if he IS flanking. That would build aggro based on DPS so even if the AI doesn't go for the GF that marked it eventually it would since the GF is doing so much more damage to it. That's more in the spirit of the tabletop game I feel.

Otherwise, just make it work like a taunt where when you mark a creature you move to the top of the creature's aggro list and it drops everything it's doing to attack you.

As it stands right now mark is just a pull ability for me. I know it makes the creature take extra damage from everyone else but instead of a debuff it should be used as a way to get and maintain aggro on single target.

Also, get rid of the animation; it interrupts the action and it's annoying.
  • Options
    chuckfchuckf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My largest issue with survivability in BW2 was the frequency with which you can just chug potions. 10 second cooldown is way too short. Potion spamming and Fighter's Recovery caused me to feel like I was never really in any danger throughout the weekend, even in the Cloak Tower when I had only a rank 1 companion healing my group. I know that Guardian Fighter is meant to be super tanky, and that's as it should be, but I think increasing the cooldown on potions would help so much to make this game more interesting/challenging.

Honestly don't judge too much just from the Cloak Tower. It's the first dungeon, aka easy mode. It gets much harder. Heck you couldn't make it through the black dagger skirmish without a competent healer.
  • Options
    cappio88cappio88 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited March 2013
    You're not that invincible in this game. It's easy to kill a buch of mobs with an aoe with daily and then resting for the next wave. It's easy to avoid just an huge dude all the time and kill him solo. Try to do them both while the boss continues spawing mobs and you can't kill 'em, try it and let's see how you survive alone: If you focus on boss while avoiding and blocking its attacks, you'll get overwhelmed by mobs; if you try to aoe mobs another wave comes in and you won't have filled the daily power in time to clean up. The result is you die in both cases.

I found my self in this situation with more than one boss and most of time is difficoult even to quest, without a cleric companion to heal you while you fight. ( tried the dog companion and the cleric one)
  • Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    cappio88 wrote: »
    You're not that invincible in this game. It's easy to kill a buch of mobs with an aoe with daily and then resting for the next wave. It's easy to avoid just an huge dude all the time and kill him solo. Try to do them both while the boss continues spawing mobs and you can't kill 'em, try it and let's see how you survive alone: If you focus on boss while avoiding and blocking its attacks, you'll get overwhelmed by mobs; if you try to aoe mobs another wave comes in and you won't have filled the daily power in time to clean up. The result is you die in both cases.

I found my self in this situation with more than one boss and most of time is difficoult even to quest, without a cleric companion to heal you while you fight. ( tried the dog companion and the cleric one)

Yeaa...no.
    We be pretty much that invincible.
    All you has to do is position yourself so that melee mobs will get caught in the AoE along with the bosses. (Your daily abilities charge extremely fast if you position yourself correctly.)
    Ranged mobs tend to be weak so you can ignore most of them. If they be getting too annoying, just charge rush and clear them out.

Also your HP bar drops so slowly that you have plenty of time to pop a potion & achieve the cooldown on said potion before you really be in any danger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL9o6jPHiF4 (Just position yourself correctly.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2I7V6ZWJYg (Don't even need a weapon to kick his <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. /joke)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKUHBsOlTdk (Attempting to revive teammates was more deadlier than the boss itself.)

Heck it's been getting easier even at level 27.
    (.-.)
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    cappio88cappio88 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited March 2013
    You stay always in the middle of the combat and you never loose guard. You activate the daily power and you deal too much damage/recovery. You also spam Tide of Iron and while you do it you loose so less hp.You block the boss and you don't receive damage from behind by mobs. This all seem strange to me.

Try this with the red mage of thay. 15 mobs always spawning and the boss on the other side of the room. Run against him and you'll die in 2 seconds due to mobs. Clear 5 mobs with daily power and you're already dead. Kill few of them with block and stab and you're easily without guard.

You can't believe it but i tried your playstyle. The recovery was too low and the incoming damage too great for staying blocking and recovering guard.
  • Options
    rahlarahla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Forgot I made this thread...update time for 2nd beta weekend.

Conclusion...you still have to be very unlucky or have the hand eye coordination of a -Originally a series of colourful words describing an idiot that was edited by a mod- to die as a Guardian Fighter.

Own edit: Got reported by someone who was butthurt because they were bad at the game. I really hope the devs don't pay attention to people who are straight up bad at videogames.
    To my fellow beta testers,

Complaints help no one, shooting down suggestions helps no one, fanboyism helps no one. Suggestions and constructive criticism are needed, or you're kind of useless as a tester. This isn't a demo, this is a beta. If you paid money to be a tester and regret it, you have no one to blame but yourself.

~<3
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    rahla wrote: »

Conclusion...you still have to be very unlucky or have the hand eye coordination of a <Tarrasque> to die as a Guardian Fighter.

Thanks for the compliment! Read some posts before posting free insults
  • Options
    seawalker13seawalker13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 229 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    rahla wrote: »

Conclusion...you still have to be very unlucky or have the hand eye coordination of a <Tarrasque> to die as a Guardian Fighter.

:) I made sure I died as a GF during beta 2, testing my limits, how far could I go before I died?

Gotta push the limits of your avatar's endurance my friend. If ya don't, ya don't learn.
  • Options
    labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    How much life steal do you have ? and regeneration ? maybe I was just unlucky but I only had 3 life steal ( Item on my cleric and rune stone to get 2% ) and 13 regeneration. Plus I didn't take the recharge with blocking skills . Higher level mobs then me were tough fights if I got surrounded.
  • Options
    lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Anyone saying the progression is increased isn't looking at the model. Perhaps BWE1 was "ramped up", but BWE2 was certainly not.

Go through the quests, complete everything in an area. You'll find yourself underleveled for the content around level 14. Your next quests will be level 17 (spellplague line and tower district). Unless they just pruned out two levels worth of quests (which would be half a zone's worth), this doesn't make sense.

This also happened at level 20-22 with my control wizard. Finished all quests in the GY, and was under-leveled for the next area by about 4 levels.

My money is that content hasn't been left out; but that the exiting content will get a buff in some of the quests to get you up to the next zone. Reason I say that is that the stories don't seem disjointed or missing any points that indicate there is "pruning" going on.
  • Options
    stormhammystormhammy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    cappio88 wrote: »
    You stay always in the middle of the combat and you never loose guard. You activate the daily power and you deal too much damage/recovery. You also spam Tide of Iron and while you do it you loose so less hp.You block the boss and you don't receive damage from behind by mobs. This all seem strange to me.

Try this with the red mage of thay. 15 mobs always spawning and the boss on the other side of the room. Run against him and you'll die in 2 seconds due to mobs. Clear 5 mobs with daily power and you're already dead. Kill few of them with block and stab and you're easily without guard.

You can't believe it but i tried your playstyle. The recovery was too low and the incoming damage too great for staying blocking and recovering guard.

Done.
    The Red wizard of Thay was laughably easy. About as weak as a regular mob & me didn't even use a potion or lose my guard bar .
    (.-.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bVFGsyFFFM&feature=youtu.be

1) Me go in the middle of combat to increase my killing power.
    2) If me am losing too much of my guard bar, me will channel the spirit of Rocky and start tanking with my face while saving the guard for the large hits. *As you can see in my Malus video. (Me will take the kicks to the face while blocking his 3k damage slash.*
    3) Even if me am spamming the shout, me minimize damage by timing it either right after the "big hits" or right after me reposition myself. (to buy myself time to cast)
    4) Me don't even has a cleric companion. Me has a wizard companion.

Me guess this confirms that cappio88 has the hand eye coordination of a <Tarrasque>.
    darthpanda16: Firefox crashed on me.
    Hawk:Do this. closing thread
    frankieraye: I'll see if we can replace the woman with a stick figure and the tiger fangs with marshmallows./Issues like these need to get escalated quickly to minimize the damage.
    Kantorek: Yeah.. you should try it. It's awesome.
    Sihndra: Nope- not currently possible under any circumstances. Sorry.
    LokisDottir: I mean...not haunting the forums, nope nope.
    Konariraiden: You don't know what you are up against. You will lose.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Hey, Storm, thanks for the tips, man! ;)
    I didin't know very well the tactic of the boss kill but now I think to know how to kill them. The shout timing and co. is something that i need to work better.:confused: Now I would also try using another companion ( i have the dog in addition to the cleric) so i could extremize the difficoult to increase my low skill
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I have to agree; the only times I've gone down in this game is when I've had a really bad group; leveling a GF all the way to 23 I went doen 3 times, dies twice.

Personally I like that though; that's the whole point of the class!