test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please let me stop giving people the fingers

dragonfishdragonfish Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in The Library
I enjoyed the control wizard class in this weekend's beta but I have two requests. First, please make the fingers stop. I know you are trying to make him/her look "mystical" but thats really not quite right.

Two, make Ray of Frost actually slow a mob. The text implies that it reduces movement speed but that clearly isn't working as intended. Or just take that part out of the text.
Post edited by dragonfish on

Comments

• deathtrap82deathtrap82 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I completely agree about the fingers. Looks like I'm constantly trying to signal for the check or signal a cab or something. It's fine if we're in combat, but out of combat - let the arm rest!

As for Ray of Frost - doesn't it do that? Could have sworn mobs were moving slower as the Chill built up on them.
  • dragonfishdragonfish Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If it does, it wasn't enough. If I hit one of a group of three mobs with RoF and hold it down the entire time they are coming, they still all make it to me at the same time. Also, 1 second is really not long enough for the root. It should be at least as long as it took to root them.
  • whysp1whysp1 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I noticed that they don't stay rooted for very long either.
    Every other class as an at ease stance, but the control mage is always having to channel power to keep that soap bubble they call an orb from falling.
    I'd like to see some variety in the spell choices. Everything about the control wizard seems to be based on Frost. Where's the Fire mage, the force mage... ?
  • scootmienscootmien Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 70
    edited March 2013
    I agree on the Ray of Frost. I had to check to see if it slowed the mob at all and i'm pretty sure if it did, it was very minimal at best. A one second root is far too little too. Maybe two or three seconds would be better.
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    dragonfish wrote: »
    If it does, it wasn't enough. If I hit one of a group of three mobs with RoF and hold it down the entire time they are coming, they still all make it to me at the same time. Also, 1 second is really not long enough for the root. It should be at least as long as it took to root them.

I have no problem with how long it takes to freeze, or the fact that they are only minimally slowed; but I think the mob should be frozen until it takes damage from another source. So if I freeze one mob, it will be rooted while I fight the others. If not until damage, then at least 10 seconds or so.
  • dethnightslayerdethnightslayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would be happy if the RoF would at least seem to slow the target. To me seeing 2 guys charging me, both always seem to get to me at the same time. Also at early levels I think it was 4 or 5 fights before I even realized that the target would ice up. I am not looking for an OP amount of CC but just some CC would be nice. It seems our most effective form of CC is pushes and that can <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off the melee.
  • pat13ntzeropat13ntzero Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I have to admit I wasn't a fan of the way the wizard held his hand/etc.
  • sofademonsofademon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 75
    edited March 2013
    On Ray of Frost- I have been thinking about this one quite a bit. I think the issue is knowing when to use it and when to magic missile. Because its described as a control power players naturally think its the option to try to keep creatures off of them, but it doesn't really work out that way. Its less dps than magic missile. Its main advantages are the occasional freeze and the fact it builds actions points so fast. Solo, you don't open with ROF unless you are facing a single opponent. Take a typical spawn of one tough monster/semi-boss and several minions. Start with the minions, and drop an encounter power on them followed by magic missile volleys. The will go down fast. Teleport as needed to stay out of melee. Once you are down to the single tough opponent use ROF to kite him around the room. Don't expect it to keep him in place, you will need to teleport and kite, and throw appropriate encounters as they cool down. This will build a ton of action points for you, plus the occasional freeze up will interfere with the badguy's plans. The freeze is not lock down, its mitigation, basically its occasionally stealing an attack or two out of his attack chain. Combine this with a lift or repel power and you should be able to reduce him to frozen goo.

The mistake is to think that you have spells that let you stand still. You don't. The combat is designed to be more dynamic than that. Wizards will be teleporting and dodging alot. If you ROF one of a group of three enemies the other two are just going to come over and eat your spleen. But used at the right moment, its effective.
  • feiyhdfeiyhd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yes PLEASE remove that horrible "oh no you didn't" finger.

I literally re-rolled another class because I couldnt stand to look at it anymore, despite me actually enjoying the gameplay lol.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    They said it will be changed.
  • spellwardenspellwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 357 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    I am hoping that we get the chance to choose idle stances. That the finger stays as an option. And that this option is not permanent.
  • l1zardo1l1zardo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Smell my fingers!
  • fursnakefursnake Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 84
    edited March 2013
    The wizard's two finger stance should be accompanied by that Beyonc e song about pu tting a ring on it. (I had to type it like that because the forums kept cutting off everything after the c in Beyonc
  • lindal1lindal1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    l1zardo1 wrote: »
    Smell my fingers!

ROFL too funny ..........though keeping it as an emote could be funny :cool:
  • spellwardenspellwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 357 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    I guess my mind is dirtier than most. I always thought: "Sssh, stop talking lover boy" in a creepy wet voice.

Or perhaps he is ordering 2 fingers of whiskey, and is not perverted at all.
  • thrynsystthrynsyst Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I completely agree about the fingers. Looks like I'm constantly trying to signal for the check or signal a cab or something. It's fine if we're in combat, but out of combat - let the arm rest!

As for Ray of Frost - doesn't it do that? Could have sworn mobs were moving slower as the Chill built up on them.

It does, but few folks have noticed it. Perhaps the movement speed reduction could be a little more?
  • thrynsystthrynsyst Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    sofademon wrote: »
    On Ray of Frost- I have been thinking about this one quite a bit. I think the issue is knowing when to use it and when to magic missile. Because its described as a control power players naturally think its the option to try to keep creatures off of them, but it doesn't really work out that way. Its less dps than magic missile. Its main advantages are the occasional freeze and the fact it builds actions points so fast. Solo, you don't open with ROF unless you are facing a single opponent. Take a typical spawn of one tough monster/semi-boss and several minions. Start with the minions, and drop an encounter power on them followed by magic missile volleys. The will go down fast. Teleport as needed to stay out of melee. Once you are down to the single tough opponent use ROF to kite him around the room. Don't expect it to keep him in place, you will need to teleport and kite, and throw appropriate encounters as they cool down. This will build a ton of action points for you, plus the occasional freeze up will interfere with the badguy's plans. The freeze is not lock down, its mitigation, basically its occasionally stealing an attack or two out of his attack chain. Combine this with a lift or repel power and you should be able to reduce him to frozen goo.

The mistake is to think that you have spells that let you stand still. You don't. The combat is designed to be more dynamic than that. Wizards will be teleporting and dodging alot. If you ROF one of a group of three enemies the other two are just going to come over and eat your spleen. But used at the right moment, its effective.

QFT. This is the best critique of ROF that I've seen. RoF is far from useless, it just needs to be understood where the usefulness lies, and where it is detrimental to your survival. I would like to see a bit of increase in the amount of movement speed reduction, but otherwise leave it alone.

Some would like to see the root lengthened, but with PvP considerations to make, you're *not* going to see that. *NO* CC of 2 seconds or higher are going to be seen, since according to Andy Velasquez, Project Lead for Neverwinter, "2 seconds of CC in PvP means death." Get used to that idea...
  • caverndragoncaverndragon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yup the fingers need to go.
    If it moves, KILL IT!
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yup the fingers need to go.

An easy way would be to give the wizards the paws!!!
  • mafiamanmafiaman Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think you all are expecting RoF to be something that it is not. It is not a skill that is used to completely lock down an enemy. It is supposed to be used in synergy with other control abilities. (I don't remember the skill names, so pardon my descriptions if they bother you) RoF is best used when there is a single, strong enemy as part of a series. The general best fighting order in BW2 seemed to be as follows. 2+mobs: Open with Chill Strike in your Tab slot for the AoE, then when they get close use the channeled AoE self-centered stun. Magic Missile then down if they remain. 1 strong mob: Here is where RoF is important. You can cc-lock a single enemy. you can start with the same start (CS into AoE stun). Then you force choke them into the air. When they are in the air, RoF them during that time. They will freeze shortly after landing. Then you use the daily knife skill to knock them down. When down, you RoF again. Then you repeat the process.

That description also leaves one open slot to have either the AoE ice storm or a knockback etc. I think the problem you are running into is that you want RoF to lock down an enemy on its own, and that would be majorly imbalanced. As it is, CW's can cc lock enemies upwards of 10 seconds with the right set up, adding in RoF buffs would make that cc lock last forever.
  • vampiregoatvampiregoat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I thought I was trying to give an <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> check to a giant
  • bardbarianbardbarian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    dragonfish wrote: »
    I enjoyed the control wizard class in this weekend's beta but I have two requests. First, please make the fingers stop. I know you are trying to make him/her look "mystical" but thats really not quite right.

It's actually an as-yet-unimplemented back-up melee attack that causes blindness. Think Three Stooges!
  • arikalstringerarikalstringer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm totally in agreement. The fingers look silly and shouldn't be a apart of the stance.
  • talen4talen4 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31
    edited March 2013
    Agree with OP.
  • captexpendablecaptexpendable Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    whysp1 wrote: »
    I'd like to see some variety in the spell choices. Everything about the control wizard seems to be based on Frost. Where's the Fire mage, the force mage... ?

If Cryptic stays true to its roots, Zen Store after launch. $25 for one class or $60 for a three-pack.
  • draxonflydraxonfly Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yeah I don't much like the look of the Tripitaka 'fingers'.. It looks like he/she is trying to give a Monkey a headache..

I'm not much a fan of the floaty bubble/orb too .. I think it would look better if the wizard was holding the orb in the hand...
    draxonflynw1.jpg
  • scottligulascottligula Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Everyone here is correct... the "Mystical" look has got to go.
    It makes me think the wizard class is more Ninja than caster.
    So far i love the class but i cant see playing one for hundreds of hours with the "Ninja Hand" being the way it is.
    It just ruins the look of the class for me. I have NEVER once in ANY D&D or likeminded game/manual (save maybe Oriental Adventures) have a wizards hand look this way.

But alas... maybe hes just trying to get the tavern keeper to bring him the check.

PLEASE... dont be "that panda" game... change it while you still can. :)
    They came from.... BEHIND!!!! ;)
  • tarneeltarneel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ray of Frost works best with a group... you can cast and hold... after a few moments MOB freezes in block of ice then you move and let tanks hammer away some more then tag it again
  • dollahzdollahz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I hated Ray of Frost. I think that skill needs more work. When you get to higher levels there are AOE version of skills that do the same thing. In group content you are more likely to be fighting multiple mobs. Also the fact that you are locked out of other skills while Ray of Frost is doing its work. I'd rather drop an icy terrain and wait the 6 seconds instead of casting RoF for 6 seconds. Among other things. I also a big fan of Chill Cloud for AoE freeze.
  • corniviccornivic Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Oh so this is a wizard thing? I thought everyone loved the emote "Peace out"