test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

R.A Salvatore novels

soapylandsoapyland Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 33 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Off Topic
Reading my way through the R.A Salvatore novels.
At the moment I am up to book 3 in the "Path of Darkness" tetralogy, but have noticed that the third book " Servant of the Shard" is also the first book in the "Sellsword" trilogy.

Can I skip this book and come back to it later, or do I need to read it to move on to book 4 in the tetralogy?
Post edited by soapyland on

Comments

• Options
    seawalker13seawalker13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 229 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Here's a list of books in the R. A Salvatore library. I've not read any of the Sellsword works. Can someone more in the know help him out?

http://www.amazon.com/All-Salvatores-Drizzt-books-order/lm/R1YDA69PR4YH2E
  • Options
    kerlaakerlaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If memory serves me it goes The Icewind Dale Trilogy, The Dark Elf Trilogy, the Legacy of the Drow series, the Paths of Darkness series, The Hunter's Blades Trilogy, the Transitions series, and the Neverwinter Saga (Written order).

For character history chronological order I believe it goes.

Starts with (there are a few entries in a few random material that make mention but nothing serious)

The Crystal Shard
    Streams of Silver
    The Halfling's Gem
    Dark Mirror
    The Legacy
    Starless Night
    Siege of Darkness
    Passage to Dawn
    The Silent Blade
    The Spine of the World
    Servant of the Shard
    Promise of the Witch King (might be off a little on this one)
    Road of the Patriarch (might be off a little on this one)
    Sea of Swords
    The Thousand Orcs
    The Lone Drow
    The Two Swords
    The Orc King
    The Pirate King
    The Ghost King
    Gauntlgrym
    Neverwinter
    Charon's Claw
    The Last Threshold
  • Options
    soapylandsoapyland Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for the replies, I've check out Wikipedia and ascertained the correct order in which to read them, I was just thrown off course by the fact that "Servant of the Shard" was originally in the "Paths of Darkness" tetralogy, but then later listed as the first book in the " Sellswords" trilogy.

Now was this done because the book never really focuses on the story of Drizzt and the companions or because it focuses a little on them but mainly on Artemis and was just a good launching platform for the "Sellswords" trilogy?

I plan to read them all, just thought i would finish one story line before branching off.
  • Options
    goose1009goose1009 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Servant of the shard was written (one of my favorites) before he decided to finish it up. It wasnt packaged as a "book 1" when it came out. He eventually decided to continue on with that story. Read them in the order it came out. Cant go wrong with that.

You can skip Spine of the World though....
    iCW4wKwOat1oO.png
  • Options
    seawalker13seawalker13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 229 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Not sure, soapyland. I pretty much followed kerlaa's list, focusing on Drizzt's storyline. I'm half way through "Neverwinter, book II of the Neverwinter Saga" on my kindle, I have Charon's Claw downloaded and ready to read as fast as I can get to it. Surprise surprise awaits you regarding Artemis, but I'm not gonna spoil it. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Not sure, soapyland. I pretty much followed kerlaa's list, focusing on Drizzt's storyline. I'm half way through "Neverwinter, book II of the Neverwinter Saga" on my kindle, I have Charon's Claw downloaded and ready to read as fast as I can get to it. Surprise surprise awaits you regarding Artemis, but I'm not gonna spoil it. :)

Just mentioning it spoils it :P j/k, although it will take some willpower to not look it up online.

Goose: already read "Spine of the World"
  • Options
    kerlaakerlaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    From me reading them (remembering mostly) and what I could find I think Servant of the Shard Promise of the Witch King/Road of the Patriarch are around the same timeframe (unless they listed a DR date in them as I can't remember).

http://www.o-love.net/realms/fr_time_notable.html

Woot just found it.

http://rasalvatoreforums.yuku.com/topic/4372#.UTNuQTfwBZY <---This list pretty much covers everything he has ever written.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    soapyland wrote: »
    Just mentioning it spoils it :P j/k, although it will take some willpower to not look it up online.

Goose: already read "Spine of the World"
    Fine, then I won't mention Wulfgar, Cattie-brie, Regis, or Bruenor either. Go look them up too. j/k
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kerlaa wrote: »
    If memory serves me it goes The Icewind Dale Trilogy, The Dark Elf Trilogy, the Legacy of the Drow series, the Paths of Darkness series, The Hunter's Blades Trilogy, the Transitions series, and the Neverwinter Saga (Written order).

For character history chronological order I believe it goes.

Starts with (there are a few entries in a few random material that make mention but nothing serious)

The Crystal Shard
    Streams of Silver
    The Halfling's Gem
    Dark Mirror
    The Legacy
    Starless Night
    Siege of Darkness
    Passage to Dawn
    The Silent Blade
    The Spine of the World
    Servant of the Shard
    Sea of Swords
    The Thousand Orcs
    The Lone Drow
    The Two Swords
    The Orc King
    The Pirate King
    The Ghost King
    Gauntlgrym
    Neverwinter
    Charon's Claw
    The Last Threshold

Your forgot the dark elf trilogy which comes before The Crystal Shard chronologically. Homeland, Exile and Sojourn.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    pilf3r wrote: »
    Your forgot the dark elf trilogy which comes before The Crystal Shard chronologically. Homeland, Exile and Sojourn.

That I did. :( even tho I added it in the book publishing part, thanks. I also never got around to reading The Cleric Quintet which I believe takes place in the middle of Legacy of the Drow somewhere.

So it would go

Homeland around 1300 DR
    Exile around 1340 DR
    Sojourn around 1345 DR

The Crystal Shard around 1353 DR
    Streams of Silver
    The Halfling's Gem
    Dark Mirror
    The Legacy
    Starless Night
    (The Cleric Quintet somewhere in here I believe, maybe just after Siege of Darkness)
    Siege of Darkness
    Passage to Dawn
    The Silent Blade
    The Spine of the World
    Servant of the Shard
    Sea of Swords
    The Thousand Orcs
    The Lone Drow
    The Two Swords
    The Orc King
    The Pirate King
    The Ghost King
    Gauntlgrym
    Neverwinter
    Charon's Claw
    The Last Threshold
  • Options
    mandodo69mandodo69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 6
    edited March 2013
    pilf3r wrote: »
    I was fixin to say the same thing! glad I orderd this book in the early 90's before I read the crystal shard
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kerlaa wrote: »
    That I did. :( even tho I added it in the book publishing part, thanks. I also never got around to reading The Cleric Quintet which I believe takes place in the middle of Legacy of the Drow somewhere.

*snip*

Aye seems about right even though I don't recall the timeline right off the bat, I wish the Cleric Quintet would have been continued somehow even though I kind of dislike how it ended :( Cadderly got a suck <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ending!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    metalskies1metalskies1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Loooove these books! I am currently on The Last Threshold and ever so eager to see how things unfold!